Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Nail Rat posted:

They literally can't because they already punished him for this incident. There's no way in hell the CBA doesn't have language against double-jeopardy.
"For lying to league officials during our investigation of the domestic violence incident, Ray Rice is suspended indefinitely."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Actually, their take is that he should have taken the stairs, so then there wouldn't have been any video and he'd still be employed.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Tremendous Taste posted:

I thought the new policy was 6 games for the first incident?
6 games for the first incident is the starting point, but that can be reduced or increased based upon mitigating or aggravating factors.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The aggravating factor here being that he was dumb enough to get taped?
In this case the aggravating factor is probably "we got raked over the coals when we first suspended you. There's no way we're making the same PR mistake twice for the same incident."

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone from the NFL, especially Goodell, saw the in-the-elevator video and gave out the two game suspension.

I find it pretty easy to believe that the league half-assed the investigation. They had statements by both Ray and Janay that it wasn't a big deal/it was partly her fault, the DA and Judge in the case allowed for the pre-trial intervention, and he was a big enough start that they probably wanted to make the problem go away. So when the police didn't give them the video (possibly because they asked the wrong police), they were more than willing to throw up their hands and say "good guy, bad mistake, 2 games."

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Jethro posted:

I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone from the NFL, especially Goodell, saw the in-the-elevator video and gave out the two game suspension.

I find it pretty easy to believe that the league half-assed the investigation. They had statements by both Ray and Janay that it wasn't a big deal/it was partly her fault, the DA and Judge in the case allowed for the pre-trial intervention, and he was a big enough start that they probably wanted to make the problem go away. So when the police didn't give them the video (possibly because they asked the wrong police), they were more than willing to throw up their hands and say "good guy, bad mistake, 2 games."

I stand by this even in the face of this new evidence. That being said, I sometimes wonder if I have some kind of mental disorder that causes me to be unusually reluctant to jump to the conclusion that someone is lying.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Under what set of circumstances does that video not make its way up the chain?
It goes up the chain a few levels until it hits someone in security or legal who says "we didn't get this through legitimate channels. We could get in trouble if anyone found out we have it, and Rice's attorney would rake the league over the coals if Roger based his suspension on it."

quote:

No, the only way the NFL office received this video, and did not give it to Goodell, is if the staff had good reason to believe Goodell didn't want to see it.
I will admit that this is also plausible.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

sportsgenius86 posted:

One game shouldn't be taken as a litmus test, but if any game is going to see a sizable decrease, you'd kind of expect it to be the first one since the "they had the video" stuff, especially when it involves the Ravens. You don't make these decisions based on one game, but if this one doesn't take a strong hit, it's reasonable to expect there to be no real decline assuming even more damning stuff doesn't come out.

I don't disagree, it's just that there has to be an economic hit to couple with the PR one for it to really matter to them at all.
I'm not a Nielsen viewer, but I'm not particularly interested in watching this game. When the deal between NFLN and CBS was first announced, I was super excited since I don't have cable. Now I'm just picturing some talking head pontificating about IPV when they know even less than I do, and my wife getting a cerebral hemorrhage from the stupid.

Am I still going to watch all the Pats games this season? Probably. Am I going to watch most of the remaining SNF and TNF CBS games? Probably. Am I going to avoid watching the Ravens this season, especially their next prime time game in November? Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Stop being funny, I want people to post about how they think comcast doesn't use data from their cable boxes to track viewership
They almost certainly do, but that's not the data the industry uses to set advertising rates. Plus, Comcast has not a ton of incentive to share that with CBS.

• Locked thread