Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

sweet thursday posted:

And did it take this fuckin long for them to remember that the elevator had a camera in it? Was somebody just sitting on this tape and it took the investigative powerhouse of TMZ to bring a crime to light months later?

They knew it existed and they sat on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11486972&ex_cid=espnsoc

Maybe stop using the "black eye" reference though.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The video was up when I posted it, but I guess it's gone now. It was Adam Schefter being really pissed off at the NFL.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

No Butt Stuff posted:

Didn't the NFL and Ravens say they had seen the video when the suspension was handed down?

At the very least, Peter King said he was told they'd seen the video back in July.

So of course, today, he's hedging his bets and saying "IF they saw the video".

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kalli posted:

Haha, oh my god.

ESPN is scheduled to have Ray Lewis comment on Ray Rice before the game tonight.

Oh wow, this is a really bad idea.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
That might be Rovell's first insightful tweet.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

mA posted:

"I've learned how to lead my wife."

This sounds like some kind of twisted wife-boxing reference.

They've gotta be replaying an old press conference, right? He said that last time and if he's saying it again, this is just ... more awful.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Nail Rat posted:

The one thing that this does change is that most parties were claiming that the secret elevator video showed her being violent towards him and ultimately provoking the punch. This shows that nothing of the sort happened.

It wasn't even just regular people making flimsy guesses, Rice's own attorney went to the press and said "Hypothetically, how would you feel about it if she struck first?", trying to place the blame on Janay. A ton of people read into the "hypothetical" as "he's telling us what happened in coded language!" instead of "He's lying through his teeth to defend his client". The video shows that hypothetical isn't even remotely true.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's really telling that it's loving SCHEFTY going off. Dude is the most innocuous NFL "insider" of all time. If their golden boy is this irate then I can only imagine what Peter King is writing up.

King is towing the line by saying that "The NFL didn't know about the tape" after previously reporting that "The NFL knew about the tape."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/08/report-ray-rice-losing-support-in-ravens-locker-room/

quote:

A Ravens player told Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report that any support Rice had in the locker room had evaporated.

“I don’t think he has very much support now at all,” the player texted. “I think it’s gone.”

The player said Rice told teammates initially that he was defending himself from an attacking Janay Palmer — such that that matters — and the video released this morning contradicts that flimsy attempt at justification.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kalli posted:

I mean seriously, who even defended him here? Go hit up any ravens forum if you want to find those people, but I sure as hell can't think of anyone.

Even the Ravens subreddit is up in arms about him being awful, though they do have a backpatting thread congratulating themselves for not rushing to judge him before the evidence came out.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Scionix posted:

yes that is a video of someone dragging an unconscious woman out of an elevator, but who can really say what happened?

basically yeah.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Rice's contract has been terminated, per Ravens twitter.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think this means they're saying the "full truth" they heard from Rice was not the actual full truth.

The problem here is that they've seen the video already (they are lying when they say they haven't) so none of this is a surprise to them.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
For funsies, the NCAA is using this as a smoke screen to restore Penn State's post-season eligibility.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Yep.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Chichevache posted:

They're also blaming Janay for the PR catastrophe as well. :laffo:

WHAT?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Olbermann can be an rear end in a top hat, but he's MY rear end in a top hat.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, Rice is getting hosed over. If the NFL thinks a domestic assault charge is worth expuslion from the league there should be about 50 other players out are there asses come Friday. There won't be. It's hypocritical bullshit.

So it's really that Ray Rice is getting what he deserves and 50 other guys aren't.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
John Harbaugh: "I just want to focus on football right now, is it weird that the obsessive focus on football is what got us into this mess?"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Non-Baltimore viewers, please note that Gerry Sandusky is NOT Jerry Sandusky.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Harlock posted:

Are the Ravens going to double down on 'we didnt see this second video'?

Harbaugh at the very least just said that.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

haljordan posted:

Can you still get the pink Ray Rice jersey in the NFL shop

quote:

Oops, we couldn't find the page you were looking for.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mahoning posted:

That's pretty sad, and I feel for her. But I also don't think she understands that its about more than just them and what sort of terrible message the initial reaction sent to would-be wife beaters.

I hope someday she understands.

That is painful to read. At the same time, the Ravens and Ray Rice already put her up in public and blamed HER for getting punched, so I'm not putting a lot of stock into public statements.

Vaders Jester posted:

So football dudes with more experience than me. At what point is it cool to say "gently caress it, I'm done with this lovely organisation and its awful practices" and look for a new team to support?

I'm thinking about it myself. Could always root for the Redsk-wait, poo poo. Okay, there's the Eagles, nevermind, dogfighting. Steelers? Rapist QB. 49ers? Another wife beater.

The list goes on.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 9, 2014

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Dexo posted:

The problem is that she probably feels that, one part of it was her fault, and two having video of you everywhere on the internet of you getting knocked out and dragged out of an elevator is probably demoralizing as poo poo.

As far as I'm concerned, this story needs to shift away from Rice and his family, and his actions and more towards the League/Team, and their protocols for dealing with stuff like this. Because there is no way that

1. She should have not been interviewed with Ray Rice present.

2. That press conference should have been held by the Ravens Organization, on their property.

3. The league should have gathered every piece of evidence possible before handing out a punishment.

Like look, people do lovely things, Ray Rice did a lovely thing, don't know if he has done it before or will continue to do it, statistics say yes but who knows, the problem is that the league willfully ignored evidence on one of it's players doing something terrible and mishandled it every step of the way. There is no way Goodell's head shouldn't roll for something like this.

I agree with everything you say and I hope I didn't sound like I was blaming her for going along with it. And while I hate that the video is out there precisely because its making her trauma public, I'm also torn because its clear evidence that everyone involved was lying and trying to shift the blame on her so a football player could save face and its disgusting.

Blugh, gently caress Ray Rice for this whole thing.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
"Coach, how do you feel about the Ray Rice situation?"
"We just want to concentrate on football."

Yeah, that's the whole problem, you assholes.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

ZenVulgarity posted:

So why is Ray banned indefinitely if the new policy is six games

desperate flailing to save face

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

ZenVulgarity posted:

They didn't even bother to get the video in their very thorough and robust investigation.

I'm not saying Rice isn't an rear end in a top hat and shouldn't get punished but they don't have any sense of consistently punishing people.

They got the video. They're lying. Sources confirmed to Peter King that they'd seen it a month or so ago, but now they're saying it never surfaced. Yet TMZ was able to get a hold of it and the NFL is able to dig up every bit of dirt on every draft pick, but they couldn't get this tape?

Bullshit.

(this is not a "mad at zenvulgarity" post, it is a mad at NFL post)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

ZenVulgarity posted:

The not having the video post was :airquote:.

Gotcha.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Retromancer posted:

Guess who thinks Roger is getting a bad rap?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-finally-explains-why-it-suspended-ray-rice-inde-1634008557

Jane McManus ✔ @janesports
NFL has informed Ray Rice that it increased suspension because video showed "starkly different" sequence of events than Rice's version.

PS Ravens executives said that Rice's description of the assault exactly matched the video.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Goodell's just following Garak's rule: Never tell the same lie twice.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11551518/how-ray-rice-scandal-unfolded-baltimore-ravens-roger-goodell-nfl?ex_cid=SportsnationFB

Whole lot of info here:

quote:

Four days after the incident, TMZ Sports released a different surveillance video, shot from outside of the elevator, showing Rice impassively dragging Janay's unconscious body out of the elevator. Although the grainy video did not show what had happened behind the elevator's doors, the images horrified Ravens coach John Harbaugh, according to four sources inside and outside the organization. The Super Bowl-winning coach urged his bosses to release Rice immediately, especially if the team had evidence Rice had thrown a punch. That opinion was shared by George Kokinis, the Baltimore director of player personnel, according to a fifth source outside the organization but familiar with the team's thinking.

But Harbaugh's recommendation to cut the six-year veteran running back was quickly rejected by Ravens management: owner Bisciotti, team president Cass and GM Newsome.

This makes Harbaugh going out in front of the press to take the heat a week or so even more hosed up.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
And Bill Simmons has been suspended for 3 weeks by ESPN.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
This is longer than ESPN suspended Stephen Smith for saying Janay Rice provoked Ray into punching her in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/09/espn-statement-on-bill-simmons/

• Locked thread