Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Who are the douchebags who will sign him next year or whenever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rogue Elephant posted:

I'd be surprised if he did sign. He's old and has a lot of mileage on his legs. He wasn't actually a good running back last year, and the year off of training and another year of age isn't going to help his case.

I agree with this. But if he was 5 years younger, I'm not sure it would've played out like that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

2015 DotYT: Do you have stairs in your house?

If not you aren't protected

Ray Rice beat up his wife because she wasn't a goon.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
needless to say, she bought an account REAL quick

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

Like, I only know about Fifa tangentially but I'm pretty sure they have slave galleys out at sea somewhere.

CONMEBOL is the worst. It's basically a mafia and it forces all the teams to pay protection money, which they pocket.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you count every player who died under weird 'ok he said he had headaches a lot right before...' situations and every Hernandez style murder victims they still would be beaten by poo poo like FIFA's straight up slave labor death camps in Qatar.

What I'm saying is Hernandez doesn't have the drive to be a big player.

To be fair, that's just how Qatar does labor. Shouldn't have given them the world cup.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How did this new video get out? Obviously the NFL made their original determination based on what they saw in that video, and the video leaking out changed the calculus.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

Someone got paid money to leak the video to TMZ.

lol

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Puppy Bowl posted:

^^^ I'd be down with that.

Well the league is already on record saying that what a domestic abuse case deserves is a six game suspension unless there are extenuating circumstances. The only additional circumstance I can see here is that a video got released to the media.

Yeah, but at the same time, with how big of a story this has all become, can you really fault the league for making an example out of him?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Puppy Bowl posted:

In their support for him because I think that supporting someone whose done this type of thing can create a better outcome than just kicking them to the curb. The Ravens are the biggest hypocrites of all for cutting him instead of deactivating him and seeing that he and his wife get whatever kind of help they need to come out of this in sort of okay way.

William Gay had an interesting discussion about this. His mom was killed by his step-father.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/09/08/Steelers-William-Gay-wants-to-help-Ray-Rice/stories/201409080199

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HE FUCKIN KNOCKED HER OUT FUCKIN COLD!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rd i'm going to read all your posts in this guys voice from now on.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SickOfModernFeminism (browns logo avatar)

football fuckerman posted:

please don't bring reddit mra poo poo here

hmmmm

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

"He could've killed that girl. They need to sports science the force of that punch. NFL players are STRONG... Like very strong..."

Oh my god please

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty loving obvious the league saw that video.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Abel Wingnut posted:

Wouldn't they just replace him with another morally-bankrupt, financially-minded empty suit? Isn't the problem with the NFL one more of culture and the fact the NFL doesn't have to answer to anyone and can completely and easily dismiss consequences outside of bad PR rather than just Goodell?

Goodell likes dumb rule change ideas.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If you listen to the actual interview with the TMZ guy he basically just says that "The NFL knew the video existed but didn't really care to watch it and turned a blind eye" which honestly isn't as egregious as having actually seen the video and then today releasing the statement that the had not.

Sorry but I don't think anyone's gonna get fired because of this.

There were reports from back then about Rice punching her and bashing her head against a railing. They knew what happened.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ehud posted:

If they banned Rice as soon as they saw the video people would have stopped talking about this months ago.

Probably just some good ol' boy take care of our own bullshit.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

Ravens messageboard is all "WELP WHO'S NEXT ON THE DEPTH CHART?"

NO HALL OF FAME FOR RAY RICE :negative:

lol. Their SBNation is called "Baltimore Beatdown."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

shizen posted:

If michael vick can come back I don't see how ray can't. This wouldn't be as big of an issue or probably lead to lifetime ban if he got the minimum year ban from the start.

He's a 28 year old running back and he was already clearly on the decline.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hahahahaha

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I picked a bad day to not follow news. I can't believe TMZ was right.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Man and his dog posted:

Yep.

This thread is a dog chasing it's tail in a circle.

There is no end game here.

there is an unemployed goodell at the end of this thread

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

football fuckerman posted:

Looking forward to Brandon Merriweather, after his next suspension for an illegal hit: Maybe I should have hit a woman like that instead huh Roger. Then you'd pretend not to see it

I really really hope this pops into Merriweathers head.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lorini posted:

With some reluctance I'm staying with the NFL. The Raiders are my team and I'm sure somewhere Al Davis is laughing his head off. That makes it OK.

Same. I wish he was still here so that whatever inevitable conclusion this boils down to, he'd be the one owner to vote against it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Probably not really. Rice's legal team probably cost more than what most of those other wife beaters spent on lawyers combined. It's not like rich people getting superior legal treatment is a shunned thing in the justice system.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

The thing is the owners can have any stooge they want as commissioner, but I don't think they can have somebody so...eager I guess to look the other way every single time. If he ends up staying, it's not because they don't feel they can make as much money as they would with anybody else in his position (it's football, they could. easily), but because they don't feel they can get away with as much stupid and heinous poo poo as they would with anybody else in his position. And they're probably right.

Go Penguins :sigh:

The owners are clearly very vested in this fight from a pro-domestic violence perspective, and they will do anything to win that battle. Goodell isn't going anywhere. For real though, he's been commissioner for a long time, and he's friends with everyone, so they're not going to jump ship unless he becomes completely toxic.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
More importantly, no one is going to fight to sign a 29 year old Ray Rice over a random UDFA rookie or someone with some upside.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The "Don't take me to an elevator!" line was pretty good.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Franks Happy Place posted:

Really, when you think about it, Voldemort is the true victim of those books. I mean, he's just a poor kid who grew up in an orphanage, and when he was finally re-united with his own people, he just loves their culture so much that he vows to protect it at all costs. And for his troubles, he gets killed by some kid. Such a shame, and a waste of a great wizard.

get out of our clubhouse

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rogue Elephant posted:

No, it wasn't just, because of double jeopardy. If he had been released and suspended immediately I would agree with you. Everyone already knew he beat a woman unconscious, and by the Ravens' own admission he was completely honest with what happened. They made their (terrible, stupid) judgement, and shouldn't be allowed to re-punish him.

Personally, I think the media outcry making Rice the target that had to be made example of is no big deal. Yes he did get thrown under the bus, but gently caress him. The thing is, he wasn't getting thrown under the bus to begin with because there was no media outcry, and that's bullshit. So the NFL needs to be held accountable for the fact that their punishment system is broken as all hell, and that it only makes sense when something so serious happens that the public demands they do something, and is given a token nod.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is double jeopardy bad?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Double Jeopardy is great because they don't go to commercial halfway through the round and then have stupid lovely interviews with the contestants.

It's also got the best sound effect of the entire show. You know, the doo doo do doo do do one.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Double jeopardy refers to the government trying you twice for the same crime... unless you're referring to a double jeopardy clause in the CBA.

Well obviously there's nothing about double jeopardy in the CBA, they loving did it after all. That's kind of the point.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought the claim was that Rice lied to Goodell so it was a "different case" or something like that.

Yes, but it's very clear that Rice did not lie, and that the NFL had all the information it had when it first made its judgement on his punishment that it did when it later extended his punishment. The later suspension was a concession to the media as an apology for their earlier ruling that was blatantly playing favorites with Rice rather than trying to uphold anything resembling justice. So regardless of what Rice deserves, the NFL clearly tries to "take care of their own" when it comes to its players, so long as there's no media shitshow, which is unacceptable when that means someone punching the poo poo out of their girlfriend gets a slap on the wrist.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bigass Moth posted:

It's ok to follow your NFL team and still have moral issues with the way the league has handled these issues.

Unless of course your team employs Ozzie Newsome.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol. THAT BITCH WAS CGI

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've also found it's a good idea to bring up various talking points based on your own piss poor interpretation of the constitution. Scream about your rights in your most shrillest voice, and mention that you will be sending the video/audio to whoever you can come up with that you think would give a poo poo. Your senator, Ron Paul, the commish, whoever. This will ensure he takes you seriously, and knows you mean business. Follow these steps, and I can guarantee you will be going a long ways towards making your experience with the police a short, uneventful one.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 22, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
what the gently caress is ombudsman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Niwrad posted:

Salisbury only got a week for allegedly sending out photos of his dick to female employees.

To be fair, he has a very inoffensive penis.

• Locked thread