Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Santheb posted:

Ravens fan from work when asked on this:

"That botch probably deserved it."

She's a woman.

Conclusion: Ravens fans are about as awful as their shithole city.

Well they did give him a standing ovation yesterday.

The sad thing is, if they cut him now, he gets all of his salary because he's a veteran so it's guaranteed after opening day. Cutting him wouldn't really be a punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Santheb posted:

What about if the NFL suspends him indefinitely?

He already was suspended two games for this incident. If they went double jeopardy on him, the NFLPA would go nuclear, even if it is double jeopardy against a shithead who deserves any bad thing that could happen to him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Blitz7x posted:

Jesus christ

Goodell needs to come out with his hand over his mouth and say "Gee Golly I never saw *that* video" and ban him for the year. Have him undergo anger management, blah blah and have him apply for reinstatement in 2015.

They literally can't because they already punished him for this incident. There's no way in hell the CBA doesn't have language against double-jeopardy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

How long does she have to be married to him before she can leave and take half his money? Because I hope that's the only reason she went through with the marriage.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Harlock posted:

They could. It would put all the pressure on the Union to try and defend its player and his conduct, and that would be a PR nightmare I feel

I don't think so. I'm sure they don't like what he did either(the union) but letting the league suspend him a second time for the same incident sets a legal precedent the union would not want to set.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see the league even trying it for fear of the battle with the union.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ramadu posted:

Ray Rice press conference on ESPN right now

"I've learned even more now that I've seen the video, and we both have become stronger parents. I've learned how to lead my wife. We're thankful for everything." etc. ad nauseam

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm just guessing what he's going to be saying, which is the same poo poo he said last time.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

football fuckerman posted:

Last time he said it was his job to lead his family and lead his wife

He also said that they had both learned from it and had become better people and better parents due to the whole thing.

quote:

Last time, a new press conference is what I thought he was talking about.

Do you think all the other quotes from the last page that were made in jest are actually from a new press conference too?

I was just saying that if there's a new press conference Ray Rice is just gonna say the same poo poo. "Look guys. We both really learned from this!"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

OBR posted:

I'm not really following how this video changes anything. We already had a video of him dragging a unconscious woman out of an elevator. Was it really unclear to anyone how she came to be unconscious in the elevator? Was there reasonable doubt that there was some kind of loss of air pressure during the ride?

How does it take a video of the punch to get people riled up about the two game suspension and inaction from the Ravens?

The one thing that this does change is that most parties were claiming that the secret elevator video showed her being violent towards him and ultimately provoking the punch. This shows that nothing of the sort happened.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ramadu posted:

Holy poo poo this reporter on ESPN is saying that as of right now the ravens arent planning to cut him because of the salary cap but might deactivate him instead.

Eh that does make sense in a way because I think the 6 million he has left in prorated signing bonuses would get split this year and next. It's highly unlikely they have 3 million in cap room right now.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Garbo posted:

Adam Schefter is on EPSN right now. Still steaming loving mad, but also reporting that cutting Ray Rice would save the Ravens 4 million in cap space this year so, according to him, that excuse is out of the window.

I think that's not true. If a vested veteran is on a team in week one, his salary for the whole season becomes guaranteed. Though I don't know if being suspended leaves a loophole open.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It would be pretty hard for any team to trot him out there in that Susan G Komen scam poo poo each November.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chris James 2 posted:

@adbrandt
Ray Rice is NOT entitled to 2014 salary as a vested veteran. Must be on 53-man roster at season start; he was on the suspended list.

M Bison approves

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Ravens official bio pic of the PR jackass who posted that thing looks like it has to be photoshopped. No one has a head this big.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Intruder posted:

Cities build brand new billion dollar stadiums to woo the NFL into giving them a single Superbowl

(and it doesn't always work)

Not really they build them because if they don't the team will leave (and ultimately that won't actually hurt the local economy despite what politicians and team officials say, but the city decision makers really like having teams and getting free tickets).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dexo posted:

That's an issue with society as a whole for the most part.

People can no longer just walk away from bad situations, everything always has to get escalated into violence if someone feels even the slightest bit of disrespect.

I have seen fights started over loving bumping into someone in a hallway in a high school.

Do you have any evidence at all to back up that this is a new thing? Violent crime is at the lowest level it's been in many decades.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah he was probably going to be cut next season anyway. He really only missed out on this season's salary(which he should have lost anyway) and maybe a couple 2 million dollar years. If he's saved zero dollars from that bigass contract, he would just blow another 4 million.

quote:

What Vick did was so grotesque that our society wouldn't tolerate Vick getting probation + community service.

How would you feel about comparing the two if Janay Palmer had died from the punch? Because grown rear end men have died from knockout punches to the face.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/01/michigan-ref-brutally-punched-during-game-in-critical-condition/

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 9, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mister Fister posted:

That would obviously be different. But between what Ray actually did and what Vick did

You're missing the point. Outcome doesn't change the fact that he easily could have killed her with what he actually did. And as mentioned, Vick lost tens of millions of dollars and spent time in an actual prison for what he did, and did tons of charity work. Ray Rice isn't doing any of that(the most money he's losing is like 8 million or so, he's not going to jail, he hasn't said poo poo about wanting to help battered women).

quote:

Does anyone else really want to see the Spygate tapes?
I'm imagining the reaction that would have gotten.

I'm imagining they were pretty boring actually, some dudes going through don't-touch-the-quarterback drills.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mister Fister posted:

That's a different argument rather than whether it's morally permissible to let him back in.

It would be morally permissible to let him back in if he showed actual remorse. He hasn't. Where's at least the halfhearted outreach to womens' charities?

Maybe he will at some point, but if he keeps up this "we've learned from this, I'll lead my wife better" poo poo then gently caress him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

How would they prove conclusively that the NFL, specifically Goodell had seen the tape?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Although maybe they could take the opportunity to bench/cut him while Irsay has to stay away from the team.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Quest For Glory II posted:

Make Shanon Sharpe the NFL commissioner so that he has to pronounce all the ridiculous college player names at the NFL Draft

This is the greatest idea ever.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rex Deckard posted:

It will be told in that lovely horrible innocent way that kids talk to each other

Man you and I knew different kids.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Burger Trench posted:

It's probably time to start holding the owners accountable. Goodell is doing his job of being a professional scapegoat and if the owners don't kick him out, they're every bit as complicit in this whole ordeal as he is.

Yeah okay good luck with that battle there.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dexo posted:

Ban the entire City of Green Bay from football.

I think this sounds like a measured response.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dexo posted:

Why are you so soft and weak on Domestic Violence? Why do you hate women so much Nail Rat. We need to make a statement that we will not accept these heinous actions in our league.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was supporting the banning of the city of Green Bay. As owners they're culpable here!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Elephanthead posted:

I like how in the game the CBS announcer said this was the biggest scandal in the NFL he could remember. I guess Hernandez killing two guys for spilling a drink on him then covering it up by executing his wives sister boyfriend is less worse then punching a woman.

Also Rae Carruth, Jason Belcher, Mike Vick, Big Ben

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Perrish Cox is a 27 year old CB though not a 27 year old RB already on the downslide

• Locked thread