Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You take a couple of steps back from the edge of the road and call in a non-threatening tone. The rustling stops. Then you see the grass moving, almost within reach.

A white shape flies through the air in a long arc and disappears back into cover. You blink. It seemed almost weightless. It comes again, two hops this time, hurtling through the air so fast your eyes can barely follow it. Then it makes one further, impulsive movement, and lands on the road.

You crouch down and examine the delicate, white shape. It's a tiny skeleton. The rear legs seem oversized, back feet more than twice the size of the front. Its wide, flat head turns in abrupt jolts. It stares at you through massive empty eyesockets and waits patiently.

It leaps again, startling you, and disappears from view. You wait for it to show itself again but everything remains still. You're ten minutes further down the road before you find it in your jacket pocket.

You are now transporting a skeletal frog.

quote:

One more hill, and your stomach is beginning to rumble when you reach the outskirts of the next town. A van drives past but you think it unwise to try hitchhiking with your new—and frankly, rather fragrant—animal associate.

In the suburbs, you see people gardening and washing cars. Two kids race past on bikes, yelling at one another. You blink. The scene seems…unreal. Like some picture of small town bliss prepared by property developers.

The frog pokes its head out of your pocket and stares. Can it actually perceive things without eyes of flesh?

How will you fit into this world?

Make for the graveyard and summon more minions. (Corruption +8)
Set yourself up as a psychic. (Corruption +4, Humanity +4)
Try to find honest work. (Humanity +8)
Rest, eat, and move on. (Humanity +6, Corruption +2)

Stats posted:

A successful necromancer must manage an array of vital character statistics.

Control: 81%
Energy: 58%
Luck: 85% (No change)
Corruption: 11%
Humanity: 45%

Your undead army consists of:
Skeletons: 9
Zombies: 4
and it has killed 6 people in total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Rest, eat, move on. The Wandering Lecturer cannot settle down.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
What better lecturer than a psychic, lecturing people on actions they have yet to take?

Plus, hooray for skeletal frog pal. :3:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Psychic seems so fitting for the wandering lecturer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, psychic is the way to go.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I am Gutskutter Walpurge, I work with the CBI

(psychic)

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

It takes a week or two to get started. You raid the bins behind a fabric store to assemble a suitably mystical outfit. Your early gigs have to be impromptu: table to table in the pubs, house calls to customers who saw your card in the post office, and, strangely enough, a lucrative spot at the church fayre. You take a little room above the hairdressers and buy a pack of tarot cards.

The frog enjoys posing frozen on a shelf, then making quick, subtle movements to unsettle your customers. It's not hard work. You learn all the general techniques and for the climax, you touch the humerus and reach out to actual dead people. You glean just enough information to be convincing. You could settle here, for a while at least.

It would be a life.

THE END posted:

Your final statistics were: undead control 81%, energy rating 58% and luck 85%. You reached a visibility level of 25.

6 people died during the story.

Your final humanity score was: 49%.

Your final corruption score was: 15%.

Play again.
Play more games like this.
Share this game with friends.
Email me when new games are available.

And that's it, our final run through this story. We did quite a lot, but there are still some things left undone, like maxing out Humanity or Corruption, or getting the Exile ending early by losing your horde before the finale and getting a different undead pet, having enough Corruption to get with Max in the end, and a couple of unique game overs strewn about. If you've enjoyed the LP, I strongly urge you to get the game yourself and show Choice of Games that games other than Heroes Rise are capable of decent sales as well.

Thanks to everyone who participated over the surprisingly long-lived course of this LP, it's been a fun time. Keep an eye on this space, I have plans to either try something out of my league editing-wise, or something completely and utterly insane involving a certain trilogy from a certain company. But, probably not today for either.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Nice. Thanks for running this, it introduced me to Choice of Games and was a blast to follow.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This was fun. Thanks for running it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for playing through this game with us this many times Oblivion. It was a blast and based on the other choice of games I've played here it's definitely one of the best out there with a great tone and excellent use of the possibilities of the medium. I hope Gavin publishes more.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
This was a serious blast. I'm really glad I found it in time to participate.

I like how you can't just murder your way through everything without consequences that can quite easily end your run early, and that trying to pretend there's nothing wrong can also do the same thing.

Also, undead tea parties and El Dia De Los Muertos skeleton shenanigans really made this game amazing to see.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game was really great and I'm glad you decided to share it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pretty great overall!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

An interesting game. Thanks for showing it off!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
This game had way more depth to it than I ever would have guessed. Thanks for showing it off in such detail.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
Awesome! Thanks for playing it repeatedly for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I mentioned before that I had two ideas for what to do next. The one that would have involved me teaching myself video editing didn't pan out because the laptop I'm stuck on for now simply cannot play the game at a decent framerate. My other idea was, of course, to dive off the deep end and run the whole Heroes Rise trilogy. While planning how to do it, though, some other poor soul went and started their own attempt at that same thing, and then closed the thread at the first choice because they played ahead and remembered it was awful. Still, that was enough to break me from wanting to do it myself. I planned to move on to a different Choice Of game, but held off on starting it up on account of a short trip to New Orleans I had coming up. What I saw of it was a pretty neat place, it was a fun visit. On getting back, I remembered: "Wasn't there a Choice Of game that takes place in New Orleans?" Having run through it to make sure it's not Heroes Rise quality (it's not quite Neighbourhood Necromancer, but still plenty fine), I've decided that yes, NOLA Is Burning will make a decent LP. Thanks again for making this thread a fairly good one, and I hope to see some of you down in New Orleans.

• Locked thread