Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
So after making GBS threads up the craigslist thread for months, harassing citycop about his celica, and leading 8ender on about taking over ownership of schwarzy I finally bought my first car.

My dad is on the right. He has owned 9 GM cars in his life and was pretty salty about me wanting a Japanese car. I didn't actually buy the car the day this picture was taken because my dad wouldn't let me use his GMC TERRAIN to tow the car or his garage/tools to work on it. I asked a bunch of different people for help and eventually my best friend's dad agreed to let me work on the car at his place on the condition that if it isn't gone before it snows he is selling it for scrap. Anyways, while I was working out the logistics of moving it I had to evict the tenants who took up residence during the car's three year rest in the seller's parent's driveway.

Brake clean sure kills wasps dead. Only one made it out of the fuel filler cap before nosediving into the gravel driveway.

I wish I got more pictures of the snakes cruising around the engine bay. When the engine cover was up they were both poking their heads out watching me probe around the diagnostic board. So Marty, my friend's dad, also agreed to use his ford escape to tow the u-haul car trailer, but according to u-haul a 2007 awd escape is not capable of towing an mr2 20 kilometers. gently caress those assholes for making me rent a 17 foot truck to tow a god drat go-kart. At least their cat was nice.

Upon arriving at the house I was shocked to discover a car that hadn't started in three years didn't want to roll onto the trailer. Fortunately, my high school physics teacher lives down the street from this guy's parents with his harem of cars. In his driveway and garage(s) he houses an MGB GT, Volvo 1800e, BMW 635CSI, BMW F34, '72 Porshe 911, Land Rover Discovery, Kia Rio and the one thing I needed for a real lesson on why f=ma

It made it to its temporary home safe and with only a few squeals of a seized caliper.

Now that it was tucked away in a stuffy suburban garage instead of a breezy country lane I was overwhelmed by the smell of mouse turds.

:siren:ATTENTION DEA::siren: that is not a pile of weed under the fusebox it's insulation, poop and a few mummified mouse corpses. I keep my weed in a Tupperware in my backpack. Also, I was either using the diagnostic board wrong or the fuel pump was broken, so I ordered a new one. PRO TIP: pay somebody else to remove the fuel tank from your MR2 unless you're a filthy poor.

This is probably why the diagnostic board told me the car had no fuel pump. Rust cancer does not care if you live inside a gas tank it will find you and eat you.

All wired up! I didn't bother to test the new fuel pump before it went back in my freshly steamed and coated tank ( :rip: $200) because I have faith in my knowledge of basic electronics and parts from gloriousth Nippon.

At this point I did some brake stuff because I was too lazy to put the tank back in and I didn't take any pictures because brake jobs are boring. I used a special tool I borrowed from my mechanic friend to compress the rear calipers to confirm they weren't seized and replaced the pads and rotors. The front pads have plenty of life left and the front rotors should be fine if I can find a place to mill them down a bit. I have a new caliper for the front drivers side that needs to go on. Unfortunately, I pulled a muscle in my abs or gave myself a hernia or blew up my appendix trying to get the fuel filler hose back on because that piece of rubber is stronger than me. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning to get a mole cut off my head but I'll be sure to ask him why I've been feeling nauseous and having nosebleeds since the bad car hurt me.

To do list:
1. Finish hooking up the loving gas tank hoses.
2. Buy a battery
3. Start the car
4. Buy tires
5. Get the front driver's side caliper installed
6. Bleed brakes
7. Register the car in my name
8. Safety the car
9. Learn to drive standard.
9. Figure out why the oil is on the outside of the oilpan and not the inside
10. Cut off exhaust after the flex pipe and weld on a fart can at a tyte JDM angle
11. Contact http://www.tedcomponents.com/ and have them send me cams
12. Fix the rust cancer
13. Clean out remaining mouse poop?

This is my first car and I'd like to have some fun with it so if y'all have any suggestions or you want to tell me why I'm doing it wrong please be my guest.

TWSS fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

TWSS posted:

To do list:
1. Finish hooking up the loving gas tank hoses.
2. Buy a battery
3. Start the car
4. Buy tires
5. Get the front driver's side caliper installed
6. Bleed brakes
7. Register the car in my name
8. Safety the car
9. Learn to drive standard.
9. Figure out why the oil is on the outside of the oilpan and not the inside
10. Cut off exhaust after the flex pipe and weld on a fart can at a tyte JDM angle
11. Contact http://www.tedcomponents.com/ and have them send me cams
12. Fix the rust cancer
13. Clean out remaining mouse poop?

This is my first car and I'd like to have some fun with it so if y'all have any suggestions or you want to tell me why I'm doing it wrong please be my guest.

You probably know this but change all the fluids. Oil, brake, tranny, coolant, etc. That should be near the top of your list for a car that hasn't run in a long time.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Yeah, the brake fluid looks quite dark and the reservoir cap was loose when I came to it. I was planning to let the car idle for a while once I start it to let the fluids warm up a bit before I try and change them. Thanks for reminding me though, I should go to crappy tire and pick up a drain pan or two.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You got a couple of free snakes with that MR2? Man that's a hell of a deal!

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

TWSS posted:

I should go to crappy tire and pick up a drain pan or two.

Where are you in Canada that you get snakes in your engine bay and an MR2 that isn't held together by the seat rails? Victoria or something?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

TWSS posted:

Yeah, the brake fluid looks quite dark and the reservoir cap was loose when I came to it.

Brake fluid loves to suck up moisture so make sure your fluid cap is sealing properly or you'll be changing fluid more often than you expect. Definitely change the fluid now. I'd drain the reservoir and remove it to clean out all the gunk that will have accumulated in it. Then you can add fresh fluid and bleed through the whole system. And ditto for the clutch.

It shouldn't be too hard to get the carpet out of the car and give it a good jet wash with some carpet cleaner - for me that's always helped the most in getting rid of animal stink. And even if it doesn't, you'll be amazed at the color of the water that comes out.

Enjoy the car :D Toyotas of that era are pretty bomb-proof, mechanically.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
The interior is actually completely immaculate aside from a couple of stains on the white part of the passenger seat. The smellz are only coming from the frunk where the mice lived and the engine compartment where one of the garter snakes skunked me. Also, how loving great are mr2 seats? Manual adjustability on the headrest, lovehandles and lumbar support have made these my favourite factory seat, even surpassing my buddy's gti recaros.

Also, I've been doing some more research on billzilla/4agehubs on making power and it seems like the afm system needs to be deleted if you're looking for anything more than 10-15 hp gains. The car will be registered in Ontario despite the fact that I now live across the river in Quebexico and since the car is older than 1987 I won't have to pass an etest. This means I can do some stuff and pop in some obnoxious cams when I replace the cam seals (i'm guessing dead valve cover or cam seals are the source of the old oil covering the block and oil pan) and still be street legal. The factory exhaust is still on the car, but the flanges near the cat and muffler are in really rough shape, so I think i'm just going to cut it after the flex pipe and weld a new exhaust with a bend in the opposite direction towards the existing cutout in the bumper. Does anybody have a recommendation for a nice fart can type muffler with a removable silencer?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Just run it right out the middle with a Supertrapp on the end, thats how one of my old mr2's was setup. Granted it was stupid loud, but sounded good.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Where are you in Canada that you get snakes in your engine bay and an MR2 that isn't held together by the seat rails? Victoria or something?

Ottawa/Gatineau actually, but the car's speedo is in miles and there is no rust anywhere other than the rear fender/bumper area so I'm guessing it spent most of its life somewhere warm.

I had my doctors appointment and he cut a mole off my head to send out for biopsy but the sore abs were confirmed to be a pulled oblique so that's comforting! I got the fuel tank entirely hooked up and the loving fuel filler hose is only about 3/4 on even with some help from 90 weight oil, but none of the 15L of 94 i poured in leaked out so I guess I didn't gently caress that up. I also bought a battery and front rotors today and have set aside 6 hours of tomorrow for fluid changes so once I scrounge up enough cash for tires I can put it on the road. Stay tuned for a video of raspy garage revving!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TWSS posted:

My dad is on the right. He has owned 9 GM cars in his life and was pretty salty about me wanting a Japanese car. I didn't actually buy the car the day this picture was taken because my dad wouldn't let me use his GMC TERRAIN to tow the car or his garage/tools to work on it.

I know this exact feeling. The men in my wife's family pretty much all work or have worked for GM. And they live in the boonies.

I take great pleasure in pointing out that her uncle's :911:Silverado:911: was made in Mexico, while my pinko-commie-:gay: ~~Hyundai Sonata~~ was made in Alabama.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
These are fine little cars and I think you'll find it's great for learning to drive stick on. They really have a lot going for them; cheap to look after and to feed, exceptional layout, they even came stock with some kind of proto-sub-woofer right under the driver's seat (this can have its speaker replaced with a suitable modern unit for very nice results). Perhaps the only complaints I can lay on the interior is the lack of a cup holder (forgivable for the age) and the terribly small ash tray (unforgivable for a car hailing from the Westernized country with the highest percentage of smokers per capita).

If the engine idle "bounces", the cooling system has a bubble which needs to be cleared by parking the car with the rear end end high and running it with the coolant tank open for a bit. If the cooling systems needs to be flushed be sure that all four bleeding points are used; failure to do so generates the above-mentioned bubble which is one of the few things that can kill the plucky little motherfucker that is the 4AGE engine.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Red_October_7000 posted:

If the cooling systems needs to be flushed be sure that all four bleeding points are used; failure to do so generates the above-mentioned bubble which is one of the few things that can kill the plucky little motherfucker that is the 4AGE engine.

That's what killed mine. Took it to the dealership so they could drop the engine to have a new clutch and timing belt done since I didn't have a lift to do it myself and the apes that worked on it hosed up when they refilled the coolant and it ended up popping the head gasket and killing it :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You're trying your best to one-up 13" Dick where he has spiders, you have snakes, bees and mummified mice

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
As much as I hate Toyota, this is one of a few they built that gets the exception.

They're loving fun to drive. the supercharged version has just enough gusto to get you in trouble.

find a 85 model short ratio rack when you can. makes it even more go-cart like.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That rust behind the wheels makes me a bit worried.

I've got an 85 hardtop from California sitting in my garage and most of my 87 sitting around the house in the form of parts. Going to be a father & son thing probably and then race the poo poo out of it together.

My first one ended by rust.

New one is a bit better.

Rear corner behind the wheel on mine:

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Yeah you can see right through to the ground on both rear wheel wells when you open the trunk, but there is zero rust in the front wheel wells, the rockers still have paint on them, the floors are completely solid and there is no bubbling anywhere on the body despite the paint being cracked and faded everywhere. I actually think the cracking and faded paint looks kinda cool. Is there a way I could preserve it?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
The god drat banjo bolt for the flex hose won't thread into the new caliper. I'm going to send it back to my buddy's shop and have him tap it out with his fancy tools if it doesn't fit then phooey.

"The first start." I wanted to take a video of me revving the piss out of it and I also wanted the video to be short enough that it would upload quickly. So, it was actually the second start, but nobody wants to see a two minute long video of me punishing a starter motor. I can now confirm that it most definitely needs cam seals or a front main seal because there is now a puddle of oil on the floor of the garage. I wanted to wait until I got 272° cams to redo the seals, but I can't afford tires and cams and I don't need cams to make it pass a safety.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

TWSS posted:

"The first start." I wanted to take a video of me revving the piss out of it and I also wanted the video to be short enough that it would upload quickly. So, it was actually the second start, but nobody wants to see a two minute long video of me punishing a starter motor. I can now confirm that it most definitely needs cam seals or a front main seal because there is now a puddle of oil on the floor of the garage. I wanted to wait until I got 272° cams to redo the seals, but I can't afford tires and cams and I don't need cams to make it pass a safety.
Definitely a fan of the "Suck it nerds" ending haha. Following this intently because I have always wanted an AW11 so I guess i'll just live vicariously through you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I'm ending every video I record like that from now on.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, I'm ending every video I record like that from now on.

Suck it nerds!

God I don't miss the sound of that door buzzer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This just makes me wish I could get a completely new factory-stock 2014 Mk1 MR2 as a plaything. I would take such good care of it, make sure the rust cancer never gets a foothold. But no one's ever going to make a car like that again. Or the AE86 coupe, for that matter :sigh:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

This just makes me wish I could get a completely new factory-stock 2014 Mk1 MR2 as a plaything. I would take such good care of it, make sure the rust cancer never gets a foothold. But no one's ever going to make a car like that again. Or the AE86 coupe, for that matter :sigh:

And it shall be my son's first car... under supervision.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Just move out of the rust belt. Best thing a car guy can ever do. Rust-free 25+ year old cars for pennies on the dollar all day long. My completely rust-free '85 cost me a whopping $1500, even had cold AC and working window switches.

E: almost bought a local rust-free, running '72 Datsun 510 for ~$2000 once, but hesitated too long to decide and it was sold under me.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 17, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HotCanadianChick posted:

Just move out of the rust belt. Best thing a car guy can ever do. Rust-free 25+ year old cars for pennies on the dollar all day long. My completely rust-free '85 cost me a whopping $1500, even had cold AC and working window switches.

E: almost bought a local rust-free, running '72 Datsun 510 for ~$2000 once, but hesitated too long to decide and it was sold under me.

That would necessitate me completely leaving my country, I would have to move to somwhere like Spain or Italy and that ain't gonna happen with the current state of things in the world.

Or maybe Australia. No rust, plenty of RWD V8s and crazy Japanese imports. Downsides include a fascistic government and poisonous/venomous everything.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am in the rust belt... it sucks. I keep thinking some summer of driving out to rust free areas and picking up cars to bring back and sell for a profit. Just need a truck and a trailer.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Time for a little update. I have been working 70ish hours a week and thus haven't had many chances to work on the car other than to pick up some parts. The last time I did any work I let it run for 15 minutes and the battery light stayed on which I can only assume means the alternator is dead due to it sitting outside for so long combined with the weird drainage issues aw11s have. Also, even though I let the temperature get up some the rad fan would only turn on when I popped the ac (which blows ice cold) and the water temperature gauge didn't budge, so my thermostat is probably stuck open or some other poo poo I haven't had time to think of.

In other news, I am now working at Canadian Tire which is the shittiest and fasted way to get into the trade, but we end up with a real mish-mash of vehicles so that's kinda neat. I've learned a lot in the past few weeks, but none of you care about how to use a tire machine so here are pictures.

About 50% of the cars I sit in smell loving weird. I took a picture to commemorate one where the bouquet of air fresheners was accented by ashtray and l'eau decay.

This little guy came in for a coolant flush and a twizzler dispenser.

This man told us to warranty his tires because they were "put on wrong"

Alright there bahd.

They made me pour this down the drain even though it was never opened.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TWSS posted:

That seems environmentally friendly?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

TWSS posted:

I just about had a goddamn heart attack when I read that. NOOOOOOONONONONONO. If that drain went to the sanitary or storm sewer, that's a big time discharge permit violation in these parts and will get you a big, nasty fine.

Most likely, you poured it down a sump that goes to the waste oil tank(s), or at least I sincerely hope that's what you did.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Yeah, I poured it into the waste oil tank, which still makes me sad because that's 100$ of race fuel and it still smelled fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What did they think was wrong with it?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Race fuel isn't something that Canadian Tire sells and apparently it had been in the shop for about a year so the foreman wanted it gone. I asked if I could keep it and he said no.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ah, Canadian Tire. This is gonna be an awesome series of updates.

What's the deadest animal you've found in a customer car so far? Trunk doesn't count, I'm talking cabin only.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Obligatorily MR2 picture post:

It can look that good. You may want to check out twosrus for the reproduction lower rears. It'll require welding.

Mine needs the window gears, and a new radiator/thermostat.

You live in Canada, don't set the e-brake in the winter. The cables will seize, I need to order a replacement set for mine too.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's the deadest animal you've found in a customer car so far? Trunk doesn't count, I'm talking cabin only.

Local dealer around here pulled a dead snake out of a dash ones. And not a lovely little garden snake either.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I love busting tires so much I did another set today after work.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

The last time I saw rims that ugly, they came on a my SAAB.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I coveted a set of Enkei Apache IIs that showed up on Kijiji, but the dude was in Toronto and he wouldn't ship it to me. I also got the x-ices for 350 with stickers so I'll think about a set of summer rims next year.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm not sure if you're worse or better off than if you'd bought my E34 but the entertainment value for me is about the same so I approve

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Viggen posted:

The last time I saw rims that ugly, they came on a my SAAB.

You best not be hatin' on triangles, son. :ese:

TWSS: you can also fit wheels from most years of Miata, or from a MKIII MR2 on there if you want to mount tires that are little wider. Unfortunately the bolt pattern on those isn't compatible with most other Toyotas of the era, since MR2s use 100x4 spacing instead of the 114.3x4 that Corollas and early Celicas and Supras used. Which is a shame since Supra P-type wheels are a nice cheap upgrade on most other 80's Toyotas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I'm really picky about rims, basically the only things I could consider spending money on are watanabes, bbs types or those enkei apache IIs. Whatever I do buy won't be bigger than 15x7 and I'm looking for around 30-40 +offset.

• Locked thread