Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Problem description:
New build PC, after connecting everything up and hitting the power button nothing happens at all. No fans, no beeps, nada. I've tried the fixes below with no luck. I'm currently leaning toward it being a duff motherboard but I thought I'd see if anyone here has any suggestions before I get a replacement.

Attempted fixes:
I've checked the PSU in another machine and it works fine.
I've connected and reconnected the 24-pin ATX power cable and 8-pin ATX-12v cable a bunch of times.
I've tried taking off the power-button cable from the Panel pins, and manually making the connection between the power pin and ground with a screwdriver.
I've taken the PCI-E Graphics Card off the board.
Various combinations of the above, while crossing my fingers.
I have offered my soul to Yog-Sothoth, The Black Goat Of The Woods With A Thousand Young.

Operating system:
None yet

System specs:
Intel i5-4590 CPU
H97M Pro4 Motherboard
2x4GB Corsair 1600Mhz RAM
Akasa Paxpower 500w PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
If you have no LEDs, no fans and no POST, and you've checked your PSU, then it sounds like a bad mobo honestly. Hopefully you got it locally so you can do a quick exchange, although I know from experience having to go through uninstalling and reinstalling a new mobo after you thought you got everything right is a pain int he arse.

Edit-

Alereon posted:

The power supply is not compatible with that system.

Ah, this is why I try to leave the help to the experts. Wouldn't have considered that.

TheEffect fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 12, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The power supply is not compatible with that system. Replace with a compatible power supply and try again. Testing the power supply in another system would not have told you anything useful because the issue isn't that it doesn't work, but that it can't power a modern system, reviews note that it fails to power-up when connected to a modern board. Note that that power supply is over five years old and new systems require new power supplies.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Alereon posted:

The power supply is not compatible with that system. Replace with a compatible power supply and try again. Testing the power supply in another system would not have told you anything useful because the issue isn't that it doesn't work, but that it can't power a modern system, reviews note that it fails to power-up when connected to a modern board. Note that that power supply is over five years old and new systems require new power supplies.

Like TheEffect, I'd never have considered that. New PSU is on order, thanks a lot for the advice.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Welp, well I still have the same problem with the new PSU - XFX P1-650X-XXB9 - Pro Series (650W)

I'm returning the motherboard to the supplier, I'll see how it goes with a new one.

• Locked thread