Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
if you have a hyphenated last name, that's an excellent way of advertising to everyone you meet that...

*you get offended very easily, and indeed look for things to get offended about

*you are completely humorless

*you take other people's ludicrous imaginary neuroses very seriously, and you demand others take your imaginary neuroses seriously too

*you use the word "problematic" in everyday conversation

*you have participated in at least one workshop on sustainability

...among other sins. pick one name, you goose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
it gave us haha clinton-dix, worth it imo

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Also if you get married and decide to hyphenate instead of taking the other person's last name you're just passing the buck onto your child, if it's a girl now it's on THEM to ditch your lovely name when they get married. I hate it but I'm sure some of them will just add another hyphen on.

Badass
Apr 14, 2014

What about hyphenated first names

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

Also if you get married and decide to hyphenate instead of taking the other person's last name you're just passing the buck onto your child, if it's a girl now it's on THEM to ditch your lovely name when they get married. I hate it but I'm sure some of them will just add another hyphen on.

i know, right? i can't wait to see tweets from athena goldstein-heifitz-ortega-ramirez in 15 years

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Badass posted:

"obi-wan" is a pretty dumbass name when you think about it

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

ppl should just go with whichever name sounds cooler

if the girl I marry has a cooler last name than me I'm gonna say gently caress it and take hers :shrug:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
what if they're nobility?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

comes along bort posted:

what if they're nobility?

then they belong in a guillotine and not at a wedding imo

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The Hissing Butt posted:

if you have a hyphenated last name, that's an excellent way of advertising to everyone you meet that...

*you get offended very easily, and indeed look for things to get offended about

*you are completely humorless

*you take other people's ludicrous imaginary neuroses very seriously, and you demand others take your imaginary neuroses seriously too

*you use the word "problematic" in everyday conversation

*you have participated in at least one workshop on sustainability

...among other sins. pick one name, you goose!

I HATE HIPPIES

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Agreed, OP.
Also, you're totally screwing over your kids. Sure, it's fine for you to be Kyle Huntington-Smith, but what about when little Devon Huntington-Smith grows up and wants to get married to Morgan Keith-Wozinczczky?
Now he's stuck with Devon Huntington-Smith-Keith-Wozinczczky until he divorces two years later like the yuppie scum he is.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I prefer the use of / in last names myself.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
thanks feminists

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

take my name bitch, take it!!!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I am not an rear end in a top hat so I don't judge people on their names

Who gives a gently caress

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

heard a segment on NPR about how the hyphenating fad is dying out as the kids who grew up with hyphenated last names have reached adulthood and now know 1)hyphenated last names are a bitch when it comes to filling out forms and 2)marrying someone else with a hyphenated last name becomes a clusterfuck of who takes what name

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
It's how u know who the beta husbands are.

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013
There are also plenty of humorless folks with one last name so your point is moot?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

your threads are trash

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i just had a boring mildly conservative opinion pop into my dumb brain time to post it on gbs

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
in my org are usernames are created as <firsinitial><lastname> or <firstname><lastinitial>

username : PGobodoMadikizela :wtf:

extra laffs because her first name is "Pumla" and everyone calls her Pam

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
imo no one should change their names when they get married b/c who changes their name besides prince? i mean really

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Feranon posted:

ppl should just go with whichever name sounds cooler

if the girl I marry has a cooler last name than me I'm gonna say gently caress it and take hers :shrug:

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

It's how u know who the beta husbands are.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What would you have done??

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPdiQNWDeY

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

The Hissing Butt posted:

i know, right? i can't wait to see tweets from athena goldstein-heifitz-ortega-ramirez in 15 years

unironically this, the spaniards have it right mash together as many names as possible

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
nothing says bitchmade like a guy whose wife kept her last name and have hyphenated

i just assume any guy whose wife didn't change her name is whipped as poo poo at home

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Yeah so what is happening to kids with hyphenated names marrying? Even if it's with a non hyphen that is still 3 last names now and would only get worse each generation.

CCrew
Nov 5, 2007

People who complain and generalize over such minor poo poo are dumber.

I'm calling you dumb OP, I had to explain because you're dumb.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah so what is happening to kids with hyphenated names marrying? Even if it's with a non hyphen that is still 3 last names now and would only get worse each generation.

you have to find someone who shares at least 1 of your last names, and then you both just got by that one alone, jesus christ, its like you fuckers on the internet are completyely out of touch with reality

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
http://www.forbes.com/profile/li-ka-shing/

quote:

One of the world's great empire builders Li Ka-shing oversees a far-reaching conglomerate with 270,000 employees in 52 countries. The richest person in Asia, he could be a lot wealthier if he so chose. The reason: Li is probably the only person on earth who invested in Facebook as a high-stakes hobby and made no money from it. Li bet on Facebook, a decision he says took him five minutes to make in December 2007, through his charitable Li Ka Shing Foundation. In fact, all of his tech bets, whether in Spotify, Siri, or more recently Bitcoin payment service provider, BitPay, benefit the foundation, not him.

On the one hand, he invested in Buttcoin. On the other, he's filthy rich and his last name is literally Ka-shing

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Badass posted:

My first name is hyphenated. I go by my middle name.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

you have to find someone who shares at least 1 of your last names, and then you both just got by that one alone, jesus christ, its like you fuckers on the internet are completyely out of touch with reality

It would actually be kind of cool if you used just one last name but had a running official list that's used in the rarest of occasions like weddings or whatever that went back through your lineage.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
astute observations, op, ty for your thoughts

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

shiksa posted:

who changes their name besides prince? i mean really

And gently caress hyphenated last names!

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
have two non-hyphenated last names like decent human beings ya animals

Urname + fathers last name + mothers last name

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
This is a bad thread, OP is dumb and has bad opinions. I'm literally the only person on the planet Earth with my name and it rules. lol if you'd rather be one of a hundred million John Smith's than have a rad and unique name.

With that being said it does put me in an awkward position re: naming my progeny.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
when i get married me + my spouse will both drop are last and first names and will legally change bith are names to TRANT and we will both be known as simply TRANT both of us

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
One name only.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I knew a guy in high school with a hyphenated name, but his parents didn't hyphenate neither their own names nor his older brother's. His mom kept her name, his brother got his dad's name, and they just said "lol gently caress you" and gave him a hyphenated name.

He was also a tremendous rear end in a top hat, so I agree with the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
hyphenating my last name right now, whatcha gonna do about it op?

• Locked thread