Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Doctor Candiru posted:

He was indicted, the charges were presented to a grand jury, and apparently not filed. He admitted everything to cops, and from what I've been able to discern, they decided not to charge him? I'm unclear at this point, either way. This is awful.

If they keep him on the team (and I don't think I would if I were in charge), he should have to donate his salary to shelters and get a ton of counseling. Hopefully everyone can learn from this about how hitting children is not OK.

If they cut Adrian Peterson... well Ray Rice could clear waivers, but I think some team would say "gently caress it" and sign AP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

New Division posted:

If they cut Adrian Peterson... well Ray Rice could clear waivers, but I think some team would say "gently caress it" and sign AP

The Cowboys probably

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Poison Jam posted:

I'm kind of, sort of, maybe thinking about considering disliking football now :(

Football players commit crimes at a lower rate than the general public. It isn't like child abuse is a crime unique to the NFL, or even more prevalent there.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I mean I don't think that hitting your kid with a switch is a good idea or good parenting, but frankly those pictures don't look like something worthy of criminal child abuse charges.

You know, i'm reconsidering my stance on corporal punishment, my generation is full of narcissistic asshats, but i don't even think giving lacerations to a 4 year old is a good idea, jesus christ.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ouch, yeah he's hosed rule number one of giving your child a whopping is never leave scars/bruises.

ggnore Adrian Peterson.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Football players commit crimes at a lower rate than the general public. It isn't like child abuse is a crime unique to the NFL, or even more prevalent there.

Oh yeah? Well I don't like the general public either :colbert:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I doubt any maliciousness was intended, but yeah, you can't do that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blitz7x posted:

edit: called you on your bluff Mom :smug:

Must be nice. I got belts, wooden spoons, yard sticks, etc...

I was not a very good kid. I'm rich now though, so,

Child Abusers - 1, New Age Hippies - 0

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doctor Candiru posted:

Hopefully everyone can learn from this about how hitting children is not OK.
I have some bad news

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?
Gonna be a hilarious season

I can feel it

we should start a betting pool on who's gonna get nailed next

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fknlo posted:

Must be nice. I got belts, wooden spoons, yard sticks, etc...

I was not a very good kid. I'm rich now though, so,

Child Abusers - 1, New Age Hippies - 0

You post here, so obviously the mental scars were beyond repair.

tie game.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What do you guys think his NFL punishment will be

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Attorney released a statement:

Adrian Peterson has been informed that he was indicted by a grand jury in Montgomery County, Texas for Injury to a Child. The charged conduct involves using a switch to spank his son. This indictment follows Adrian’s full cooperation with authorities who have been looking into this matter. Adrian is a loving father who used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son. Adrian has never hidden from what happened. He has cooperated fully with authorities and voluntarily testified before the grand jury for several hours. Adrian will address the charges with the same respect and responsiveness he has brought to this inquiry from its beginning. It is important to remember that Adrian never intended to harm his son and deeply regrets the unintentional injury.

Edit: added the rest. This is still awful.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Without trying to venture too far down the path of "hitting your child is never ok/I was hit as a child and I'm ok" I think that it's fair to say if you leave those types of marks on your kid you hosed up.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Dexo posted:

I doubt any maliciousness was intended, but yeah, you can't do that.

Oh? What intent do you see there?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Fun tip I learned from experience, AP. Don't physically hit your kids. Emotional trauma hurts just as much and you won't even have bruises to try and explain away to the school nurse

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Pron on VHS posted:

What do you guys think his NFL punishment will be

2 games now, indefinite suspension when the World Star video drops.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Fun tip I learned from experience, AP. Don't physically hit your kids. Emotional trauma hurts just as much and you won't even have bruises to try and explain away to the school nurse

If you beat the bottom of their feet it doesn't leave a mark.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Haha, not even any kind of apology for it.

e: not that we are owed one but there isn't any show of remorse. Guess they wouldn't since he still has a trial but geez.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I also remember getting spanked by a principal in elementary school.

:corsair:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A person who is strong enough to pick up a bus and hurl it at Sinestro should probably not be administering violence to any living creature, especially a 4 year old

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
My dad used to smack me upside the head when I was misbehaving but nothing hard. Then one day I was being a real little jerk and he hit me across the rear end with a belt and it left a nasty bruise. He felt really bad and said he was sorry and would never do it again. He was big into that type of discipline and even he didn't like what that sort of beating actually did.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Somebody's going to find that kid and harass him for Ruining Their Fantasy Team or loving Over the Vikings.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

This was my childhood, although worse, blood, bruises, screaming through the house with parents chasing me down with a belt. I wouldn't wish it on any kid, and AD's heart was probably in the right place, but the switching days need to be dead and gone. At least he's trying to discipline them, as most don't even care anymore.

My parents did find the good graces not to ever let the poo poo be visible, but it's not like we talk anymore either.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Another year posted:

Gonna be a hilarious season

I can feel it

we should start a betting pool on who's gonna get nailed next

Probably the stripper that Jerry Jones spends the evening with

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

My dad used to smack me upside the head when I was misbehaving but nothing hard. Then one day I was being a real little jerk and he hit me across the rear end with a belt and it left a nasty bruise. He felt really bad and said he was sorry and would never do it again. He was big into that type of discipline and even he didn't like what that sort of beating actually did.

living proof that, if you beat your kids, they turn out just fine imo

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Somebody's going to find that kid and harass him for Ruining Their Fantasy Team or loving Over the Vikings.

I'm sure the child regrets his role in the incident

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If Adrian used a belt he'd probably be strong enough to decapitate someone

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

DangerKat posted:

Haha, not even any kind of apology for it.

e: not that we are owed one but there isn't any show of remorse. Guess they wouldn't since he still has a trial but geez.
I added the rest of the statement, and it does have an apology. Doesn't really change anything outside of the fact that he did it, and hopefully this will make Peterson and others realize that you don't use violence on a child ever.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

He replaced physical punishment with forcing Kawalimus to go birding.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

The_Hat posted:

I'm sure the child regrets his role in the incident

Get him up in front of mic to apologize to reporters. That'll make this thing blow over.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Somehow this entire thing is both much much worse and a little bit better than I thought it was when I originally heard about it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Gonna parent my future kids like Kawalimus' dad did.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

fknlo posted:

I also remember getting spanked by a principal in elementary school.

:corsair:

Mine had a wooden paddle, I ain't impressed :colbert:

Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

"Welcome to Texas son. Get me my switch" - All Day Adrain Peterson Purple Jesus 10k

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?

Garbd posted:

"Welcome to Texas son. Get me my switch" - All Day Adrain Peterson Purple Jesus 10k

"Life is short. You never know. You just want to take advantage of the time you do have."

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
There's an arrest warrant out for Peterson now in Texas.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

He replaced physical punishment with forcing Kawalimus to go birding.

His dad is probably an unrelentingly optimistic Ravens fan, forcing him to rebel in the only way he could

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

HOLY loving poo poo

quote:

Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”

In further text messages, Peterson allegedly said, “Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”

According to police reports, the child, however, had a slightly different story, telling authorities that “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face.” The child also expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities. He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.” He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.”

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
There are text messages:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

quote:

According to law-enforcement sources, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson beat his 4-year-old son with a tree branch as a form of punishment this summer, an incident that allegedly resulted in multiple injuries to the child. According to reports, Peterson has been indicted in Montgomery County, Texas for injury to a child.

The “whooping” – as Peterson put it when interviewed by police – occurred in Spring, Texas, in May. Peterson’s son had pushed another one of Peterson’s children off of a motorbike video game. As punishment, Peterson grabbed a tree branch – which he consistently referred to as a “switch” – removed the leaves and struck the child repeatedly.

The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands. Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”

In further text messages, Peterson allegedly said, “Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”

According to police reports, the child, however, had a slightly different story, telling authorities that “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face.” The child also expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities. He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.” He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.”

Peterson, when contacted by police, admitted that he had “whooped” his son on the backside with a switch as a form of punishment, and then, in fact, produced a switch similar to the one with which he hit the child. Peterson also admitted that he administered two different “whoopings” to his son during the visit to Texas, the other being a punishment for the 4-year-old scratching the face of a 5-year-old.

In an interview with Houston police, Peterson was very matter-of-fact and calm about the incident, appearing to believe he had done nothing wrong and reiterating how much he cared about his son and only used “whoopings” or “spankings” as a last resort. He offered up information that the police didn’t have and was incredulous when asked if some of the numerous wounds and marks on the child were from an extension cord, saying, “Oh, no, I’d never hit my child with an extension cord. I remember how it feels to get whooped with an extension cord. I’d never do that.”

Peterson also said, “Anytime I spank my kids, I talk to them before, let them know what they did, and of course after.” Peterson also expressed regret that his son did not cry – because then, Peterson said, he would have known that the switch was doing more damage than intended. He didn’t realize the “tip of the switch and the ridges of the switch were wrapping around [the child’s] legs.” Peterson also acknowledged that this was administered directly to the child’s skin and with the child’s pants pulled down.

Peterson later told police that the marks on his son’s buttocks were similar to the marks any of his other children get when he “spanks them with a switch,” but that the mark on the child’s leg from when the switch “wrapped around his thigh” was more severe than anything he had ever done in the past.

Peterson said he knew that his son had a doctor’s appointment scheduled for when he returned home and that the doctor would discover the injuries. Peterson added that if he felt like he was “really wrong for what I did, or had any ill intent, there’s no way I would have let him get on that plane.” He went on to say, “I have nothing to hide, but I also understand when a child has marks like that on his leg, they have to report that.”

When Peterson was asked how he felt about the incident, he said, “To be honest with you, I feel very confident with my actions because I know my intent.” He also described the incident as a “normal whooping” in regards to the “welps” on the child’s buttocks, but that he felt bad immediately when he saw the injuries on the child’s legs. Peterson estimated he “swatted” his son “10 to 15” times, but he’s not sure because he doesn’t “ever count how many pops I give my kids.”

Peterson went on to reiterate again how much he loves all his kids, and only “whoops” them because he wants them to do right. Toward the end of the interview, Peterson said he would reconsider using switches in the future, but said he would never “eliminate whooping my kids . . . because I know how being spanked has helped me in my life.”

After the child returned home to Minnesota in late May, the mother took the son to his previously scheduled doctor appointment and the doctor that examined the child said the injuries were consistent with child abuse and that it appeared the child had injuries from one incident involving a “switch” and another incident possibly involving a cord.

Authorities in Minnesota referred the case to the Houston Police Department to investigate. During the investigation, authorities determined that the incident did not take place on Woodway Drive in Houston, as originally believed, but instead in Spring, Texas, which is in the Montgomery County jurisdiction.

According to a law-enforcement source, Peterson was indicted Friday in Montgomery County, Texas, but has not yet been arrested.

The NFL recently unveiled a domestic-violence policy, which stipulates a six-game suspension for a first offense but allows for steeper penalties if children are involved.

As of publication, Peterson is not under arrest and is expected to play for the Vikings this weekend when they host the Patriots.

WOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

welllllllp

• Locked thread