Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Watching these with a group really helps I think. I can understand some of the weaknesses others pointed out, but I had a blast watching it live. A lot of oh poo poo moments.

I'm interested in the Pink family history, because they haven't out and out said that Clara is getting with him, just that his grandparents are time travelers. So I think that comes in later. And he could have gotten that family heirloom from the Doctor later when he becomes a companion.

And just like it did when we found out the ultimate fate of humans in another series, being on the last planet was very depressing for me. Was that supposed to be Utopia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So the whole thing about everyone throughout all time having the same dream at one point in their lives, was that a lie or was the Doctor mistaken? Because if it's true, it's another notch in there being something out there column.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Are you asking if it's true in real life?

Because no it's not.

If you're asking about the show you have as much idea as everyone else.

Why would I ask if that's true in real life?

Content: I'm really digging this series so far, it hasn't had any episode I didn't outright enjoy like some of the past ones. But that could be the benefit of watching them live with friends this time.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has it ever been established why The Doctor took such a liking to Earth and hangs out there more often than not? I know he protects anyone he can, but this place seems to have taken a special place in his heart.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wanted to ask ya'll something because I greatly enjoy hearing the responses. Can you list the defining moment for each Doctor? By that I mean, the scene or action or plot point that you think defines that particular Doctor or the thing that you think characterizes the Doctor the most?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Broadly speaking, I'd put it like this -

Series 1 - very good
Series 2- very bad (probably worst series of revival)
Series 3- half good, half bad
Series 4 - a bit good, mostly bad
Specials - all bad (yes, even WoM)
Series 5 - best so far
Series 6 - massive highs but far worse lows
Series 7 - deeply mediocre
Series 8 - not very good so far

It seems like you haven't been enjoying the show as much lately. I feel like Series 8 not being very good so far is a bit much though. I haven't disliked an episode yet, and felt like the Robin Hood episode was such fun it can be held up as an example of very good.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'd have to agree on Capaldi. I hope it's not that new doctor smell. This is my first new Doctor. I started on Smith, went back and saw some Tennant, then decided to watch everything in order. What were your perceptions on the last 3 new Doctors, and did they change over time?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is this a split season? Does the Season end with the Christmas special or will there be a break after the Christmas special and more episodes follow a few weeks later?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I had fun watching with friends, but it felt like the worst episode of this series so far. And I hate who ever mentioned that the editing was choppy, because now I can't unsee it and it's was a little jarring this go around. Specifically the scene where one moment they are standing around talking in a room and then all of a sudden they are climbing down some pipes in a boiler room.

Still loving Capaldi as the Doctor. And I'm wondering where the next episode is heading. They said no flirting or romance, but it seems like he's interested in meddling with Clara's lovelife. But that could be more akin to a child who doesn't want their single parent dating someone new like in Problem Child 2.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't worry about it, man.

Let Zygons be bygones.

BOOOO! BOOO THIS MAN!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Keep in mind Moffat did away with RTD's "everybody knows about aliens but somehow society remains unchanged!" stuff.

So that did happen? My friend and I were watching and thinking, don't people know about aliens and poo poo? Can anyone explain when they stated people's minds had been erased?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

Series five. The cracks in time. The Doctor was surprised that Amy didn't know who the Daleks were after all the poo poo they did in the earlier seasons.

I thought that only applied to Amy because she had been sleeping next to one her whole life?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, he throws in a line about a giant Cyberman stomping through Victorian London and nobody remembering.

Of course Moffat then wrote a story with a giant T-Rex stomping through Victorian London and nobody remembering, so at this point I think he may have reached Spongebob "let's throw the letter on the bonfire!" levels of,"gently caress it I'm just gonna go with whatever."

In regards to the T-Rex, I took it as the cops were working with the Doctor's crew so they probably covered it up and the event is somewhere in Unit's archives. Also, the episode established that people in the normal population heard about it but at least some thought it was fake.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In the end, I found myself siding more with The Doctor than Clara. I guess I just couldn't get behind her reasoning. I understand the Doctor was being a dick, but what you're essentially saying is I'm mad because you wouldn't "save the day" for you, even though I do it all the time. I clearly care about Earth. But no, I made you mad, and now I'm not allowed back here ever again. Sorry no.

And I was kind of getting vibes that Danny came to that same conclusion but wanted her to make up her own mind and let her vent, but that could just be because of the actor's great acting and allowing the audience to project their own feelings into his motives.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I've been listening to music from the revival, and man the series has a lot of enjoyable music. A thought popped in my head. Is it crazy for the Doctor to fall in love with Rose? I'm not really talking about how it was presented, but more the concept itself? Personally, I hate that Rose got her own Doctor Real Doll, but I never minded the idea that the Doctor did fall in love with her.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just watched The Doctor's Wife again, (most def my favorite episode. Just everything I love about this show wrapped in a single episode.) Am I correct in thinking the Tardis says I love you right before she fades out of existence and back into the box?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm doing some rewatches of this season because my dad was in town and he hasn't been able to see it. So far, I've really dug Deep Breath and Into the Dalek on rewatch. So far, I'd say it's a pretty good season.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When did the Time War actually take place? Is it near the end of the Universe or does it take place during any of the storylines?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Watching The End of Time again, and for all the craziness, it might be my favorite performance in the entire series by Tennant. His utter fear of the end, and the way he portrays it hits me every time. It's interesting that it's been kind of written off as his vanity since he doesn't really die, but I think as humans who have to ask some very hard question about their mortality we can all appreciate where he's coming from.

Another theme I enjoyed is the idea that he's lived too long and it's causing him to make mistakes like Time Lord Victorious and almost leaving Wilf in the booth.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Another great thing about the Wilf and Doctor moments, is that my daughter is convinced that Wilf is 10's daddy. I don't have the heart to tell her otherwise.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Had a blast watching last week's episode and this week's back to back at a friend's house. What was really great is that my friend was getting perturbed over 12's detachment and said right before the end that he misses the speeches that 10 and 11 used to do. Then the loving Doctor shows up, and loving gives a brilliant speech and basically says begone monster.

My favorite thing about the episode was the Doctor's willingness to give these new creatures every chance in the world to prove themselves to be good. And then he's all like, OK fuckers, you want to be monsters? Well guess what? I'm the biggest loving monster hunter in the universe.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

For me The Doctor's Wife is still the best episode of his time in charge.

This demigod knows what's up.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

He names you the goon.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just a note, thanks to the peeps who suggested The Thick of It for more Capaldi goodness. I've been blazing through it for the past 2 days.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

BSam posted:

Seriously, best companion. Well, best companion bar Evelyn.

I can't ever take you seriously again. Wilf. All day. Everyday.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just watched the end of Flatline again, and man the Doctor's speech is so great. I love the idea that he wants to convince himself that he tried at the start of it. And he really did, but he knows he's done bad before and he wants to make sure this isn't one of those times. Listened to it 5 times in a row. Might be my favorite for a long time.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My friend and I were so into this episode. Or only wish was that the teaser didn't reveal so much. All they needed was the Doctor saying "Let's go to hell" and we would have been invested right then and there. I was so psyched at that line. A really great episode. Makes up for last week by a large margin, thanks in large part to Clara going full on Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So what's the deal with Chris Eccleston? He doesn't seem to come up in Doctor Who discussions as much as the other Doctors. Does he not participate in interviews about his time in the show, or is he not a fan of his work?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

surc posted:

E: And I swear, I'm done who-hating, this season just ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh could have gone so many places, and instead shat on itself and rolled around in it.

I'd have to disagree with this statement, but only out of personal enjoyment. I only found one episode meh - the moon egg one, and only one that was bad - the forest in London. I liked more of this season than I have since Smith's 1st one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

In that case, here's an index I've everything I've posted. Some reviews are incredibly short, and I can't seem to find what I wrote on The End of Time or most of season one of the 8th Doctor Adventures at all, but everything else should be covered. Man I write a lot about Doctor Who :sweatdrop:

Edit: Oh yeah, and be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

4th Doctor
The Renaissance Man

5th Doctor
The Land of the Dead | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea

6th Doctor
The Marian Conspiracy | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Whispers of Terror | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | Davros | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782

7th Doctor
The Fearmonger | The Fires of Vulcan | Dust Breeding | Colditz | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate!

8th Doctor
Monthly Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life
8th Doctor Adventures
Phobos | Human Resources 1 | Human Resources 2

9th Doctor
Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways

10th Doctor
Season 2
The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday

Season 3
The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash

Season 4
Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

Year of Specials
The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time

11th Doctor
Season 5
The Eleventh Hour (kinda) | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol

Season 6
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe

Season 7
Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor

Big Finish Specials
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion

J-ru I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed your reviews so much, that this post convinced me to upgrade so I can read archives.

• Locked thread