Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
My wife and I went to Riot Fest in Chicago today. We parked our car in a hotel parking deck (not the one we were staying at) and used Uber to get us to Humboldt park. After the bands we went to see finished their sets, we tried calling a car to pick us up and drive us back to the hotel downtown. There weren't any regular cars available, and Humboldt park isn't the best place to be hanging out after dark, so we opted for a Black Car at the extra cost. Within a couple of minutes we were picked up and the guy started driving. He pulled over after one block and told us his phone wasn't getting reception, and that his "meter" wasn't running as a result. I asked him what the problem was, drive a few blocks and it should come back, right? No, he tells me he isn't getting paid for the few miles he would've driven. I call bullshit, it's about pick up location and destination. The fare is determined when the pick up location and destination are confirmed. He tells me it's cool, that he has Square and can just charge my card and include a tip for himself. My bullshit detector is wailing at this point, so I ask him to pull over. He resists and tells us we can pay with cash, we tell him we don't have enough anyway, and he asks "How much cash have you got on you?" The ride was over at that point. We had traveled less than a mile into one of the worst neighborhoods in the area. Feel free to refute this, but I'm a skinny suburban white guy in his 20s walking around with his Asian wife clinging to his arm. I'm an easy target to spot. I caught the guy's license plate and sent Uber an email once we got back to our hotel. I was still charged $25 for the cancelled trip which is utter poo poo, but we'll see if they refund it or not. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Uber? I was not left with a good first impression of the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

Cuck identified.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
why didn't you just call a regular cab instead of whatever the gently caress you just posted about

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
The result of all this was that even before the outbreak of the Civil War in April, 1861, the United States had become an economic giant, although its own distance from Europe – transatlantic passage of freight or passengers still routinely took two to four weeks, even by steamer – its concentration on internal development (rather than foreign trade), and the rugged and wide open frontiers partly disguised the fact. While the share of world manufacturing output from American factories and forges in 1860 was a little more than a third that of Britain’s (7.2 percent to 19.9 percent), the U.S. share had already surged past the German states (4.9 percent) and Russia (7 percent), and was on the point of overtaking France (7.9 percent), historically Britain’s great power rival. The United States, with only 40 percent of the population in 1860 of Russia, Britain’s most recent peer opponent in war, had an urban population more than twice as large, produced 830,000 tons of iron to Russia’s 350,000 tons, had an energy consumption from modern fuel sources (coal, lignite, oil) more than 15 times as large, and a railway mileage 30 times greater – the last three times greater than Britain’s.

Within another year, of course, the Civil War began to transform the amount of national resources which Americans devoted to military purposes. The immediate point that thoughtful men on both sides had to acknowledge was that – assuming willpower for a fight to the finish remained equal on either side – was the disproportion in resources and population. There was a great numerical imbalance between the loyal and rebel states; while the former contained a population of approximately 20 million whites, the Confederacy had only six million, along with (approximately) another three million blacks, mostly slaves. To put this into a “British Imperial” perspective, the population of the United Kingdom in the 1861 census was 29 million; that of the whole of British North America was 3.3 million, with 2.5 million in the Province of Canada. As the war continued, of course, the manpower pool the U.S. forces could draw upon increased with every step south their armies took; this included the recruitment of southern whites who adhered to the Union and, once the decision was made in 1862 to enlist black troops, both northern freemen and escaped slaves.

In terms of agriculture, in 1860 the United States both fed itself and exported large amounts of produce to Europe; all that production was available for the war effort, if necessary. In terms of industry, in 1860 the North possessed 110,000 manufacturing establishments to the South’s 18,000, many of which had relied on Northern technical expertise and skilled labor. The same year, the whole of what became the Confederacy produced only 36,700 tons of pig iron; Pennsylvania alone produced 580,000 tons. The value of goods manufactured in New York State alone in 1860 amounted to almost $300 million; this was more than four times the value of manufactured goods produced in Virginia, Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi, combined. This staggering disparity in the economic base of each belligerent steadily transformed itself into real military effectiveness.

For example, whereas the South could make few of its own small arms, instead relying heavily upon what was initially captured from the various federal forts and arsenals (roughly 100,000 modern firearms, a mix of rifles and muskets) - in 1861 and then what could be imported from Europe, the U.S. massively expanded weapons manufacturing, producing no less than 111,000 modern rifles in the national armories alone in the first 15 months of the war to add to the 440,000 long-arms already stockpiled. Another 62,000 modern rifles and carbines were purchased from private manufacturers in the North in the same period, and hundreds of thousands more were purchased and shipped from Europe, beginning as soon as hostilities broke out in April of 1861.

As another example, the North’s railway system – some 22,000 miles in length, and fanning out from the East Coast to the Mississippi River, across into Missouri and Iowa, northeast to Maine, north to the international borders, and northwest to Wisconsin – could be maintained and was even expanded during the war, as was, in fact, the production of agricultural products, munitions, and ship-building. Financially, while the Confederacy could sell cotton and borrow abroad, there was a surplus of cotton in storage in Europe in 1861, and newer sources, in Africa and Asia, were under development. In addition, the Confederacy’s reliance on export agriculture in the antebellum era left it with little in the way of economic infrastructure; there were few banks, little liquid capital, and little ability to produce specie; by contrast, the North, with the near limitless resources of the continent to draw upon, and the ability to raise funds through taxation and loans, could pay for the conflict, while the printing of federally-backed greenbacks in some ways stimulated further industrial and economic growth. By the end of the first year of conflict, U.S. soldiers were probably better fed and supplied than any army in history.

If there was going to be a particularly American approach to military conflict – an “American way of war,” to use Col. Weigley’s phase – then it was first forged here, in the Union’s huge mobilization of personnel and the deployment, under a centralized government with control of the treasury and thence the economy, of the nation’s massive industrial and technical potential for use against its foes...

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
hmmm yes. submarines.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
your wife wanted to kungfu his balls off but was too afraid of shaming her beta gaijin husband

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Helmholz posted:

My wife and I went to Riot Fest in Chicago today. We parked our car in a hotel parking deck (not the one we were staying at) and used Uber to get us to Humboldt park. After the bands we went to see finished their sets, we tried calling a car to pick us up and drive us back to the hotel downtown. There weren't any regular cars available, and Humboldt park isn't the best place to be hanging out after dark, so we opted for a Black Car at the extra cost. Within a couple of minutes we were picked up and the guy started driving. He pulled over after one block and told us his phone wasn't getting reception, and that his "meter" wasn't running as a result. I asked him what the problem was, drive a few blocks and it should come back, right? No, he tells me he isn't getting paid for the few miles he would've driven. I call bullshit, it's about pick up location and destination. The fare is determined when the pick up location and destination are confirmed. He tells me it's cool, that he has Square and can just charge my card and include a tip for himself. My bullshit detector is wailing at this point, so I ask him to pull over. He resists and tells us we can pay with cash, we tell him we don't have enough anyway, and he asks "How much cash have you got on you?" The ride was over at that point. We had traveled less than a mile into one of the worst neighborhoods in the area. Feel free to refute this, but I'm a skinny suburban white guy in his 20s walking around with his Asian wife clinging to his arm. I'm an easy target to spot. I caught the guy's license plate and sent Uber an email once we got back to our hotel. I was still charged $25 for the cancelled trip which is utter poo poo, but we'll see if they refund it or not. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Uber? I was not left with a good first impression of the service.

Yeah you were about right - I've driven for uber, they calculate fare basically entirely after you've dropped the rider off, and if there's any problem they look into it afterwards to ensure a smooth experience even if there is a problem. That dude was a scammer fer sure

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

g0lbez posted:

why didn't you just call a regular cab instead of whatever the gently caress you just posted about

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
You were a customer of a company that literally sabotages its competition and blatantly violates the ADA and various other laws indiscriminately while trying to shield itself from liability by calling of its workforce independent contractors. Getting shaken down by them should have been what you were expecting going into it.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

biznatchio posted:

You were a customer of a company that literally sabotages its competition and blatantly violates the ADA and various other laws indiscriminately while trying to shield itself from liability by calling of its workforce independent contractors. Getting shaken down by them should have been what you were expecting going into it.

in the grimdark future every employee of every company will be their own franchise owner and thus the company is not really liable

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

biznatchio posted:

and blatantly violates the ADA
The American Dental Association? I mean I know cabbies usually smell but it's not from their breath.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
aren't uber and lyft pseudo cabs that are run off the idea that they get paid by donations as to not have to apply for a legit cab license?

just report the dude and use his license plate # for running an illegal cab operation

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 241 days!)

pirate cab meep meep

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

biznatchio posted:

g0lbez posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

g0lbez posted:

he was just trying to disrupt and transform a industry.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
more like guber

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
lol @ if and when uber and lyft go under due to customer experiences like the op becoming more prevalent, validating the entire point of the cab industry and it's regulations

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Pussy.
Humboldt is mostly Puerto Rican gang on gang violence.
You would've been okay for the most part.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lufiron posted:

lol @ if and when uber and lyft go under due to customer experiences like the op becoming more prevalent, validating the entire point of the cab industry and it's regulations

Uber is already moving into being a weird auto finance company.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Always conceal carry in case your uber driver drops you and your asian wife off in the hood

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

g0lbez posted:

Because unionized and regulated cabs aren't cool.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 241 days!)

Manifest posted:

Because unionized and regulated cabs aren't cool.

is that h h holmes, because if so it is more interesting than this thread

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the best plot twist in the story was skinny white guy with a asian waifu

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
hey guys i've got a great idea for a startup, see there's this well-regulated industry called fast food - what if instead of getting an expected product with regulation, i make an app where you put in what you want to eat and then some guy will make it in his ant-infested kitchen with no oversight and drive it over to you?

i'm thinking investors can buy into the app in 10million dollar shares

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Im too cheap to get a cab, I literally use an app to bum a ride from strangers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

hey guys i've got a great idea for a startup, see there's this well-regulated industry called fast food - what if instead of getting an expected product with regulation, i make an app where you put in what you want to eat and then some guy will make it in his ant-infested kitchen with no oversight and drive it over to you?

i'm thinking investors can buy into the app in 10million dollar shares

you can buy meal replacement shakes manufactured in a random rat infested NYC warehouse too

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I use Uber as a hookup app

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

i don't use any transportation that doesn't have a goofy rear end moustache on it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Uber owns, half the price of cabs in this city

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Uber owns, half the price of cabs in this city

a unlicensed contractor for your home also offers big discounts too, just think of all the money you will save!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

One time I asked the driver if he had any cool stories from the night and he described how he watched a man die in front of my date

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm black so my cab drivers just drive away from the curb when they see me and I get a call from the call center saying "your driver couldn't find you, sorry" so now I date a white girl to get cabs for me

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

uber is just a conspiracy to bust the taxi unions

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

etalian posted:

a unlicensed contractor for your home also offers big discounts too, just think of all the money you will save!

Arrived safely and cheaply at my destination every time, taxi regs aren't keeping you safe they're just keeping too many cabs from working the streets

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
so say if u were riding in a uber and got into a serious accident that left u with debilitating back issues and after getting out of the hospital u were exploring legal action - how would the non licensed nature of uber/lyft play into this? would you inevitably be poo poo out of luck yourself or would their driver be the one who took all the heat (and take responsibility instead of the company as well).

at the very least some sort of brief explanation regarding these questions would be appreciated because i know very little about the things that this stuff involves (law, insurance) but feel free to give me a wall of text because im very curious regarding this.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 14, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woah I just did some research on taxi regs and apparently it's this whole thing about making sure drivers attend regular driving safety courses and not about strictly managing licenses to provide a source of income for the city and medallion owners at the expense of the drivers and passengers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mariana Horchata posted:

so say if u were riding in a uber and got into a serious accident that left u with debilitating back issues and after getting out of the hospital u were exploring legal action - how would the non licensed nature of uber/lyft play into this? would you inevitably be poo poo out of luck yourself or would their driver be the one who took all the heat (and take responsibility instead of the company as well).

at the very least some sort of brief explanation regarding these questions would be appreciated because i know very little about the things that this stuff involves (law, insurance) but feel free to give me a wall of text because im very curious regarding this.

Uber covers their drivers with a $1M commercial insurance policy

I think they instituted that one after a driver killed a kid

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
he's nailing ur wife dude. i'm talking nasty hardcore rear end-pounding when ur out of the house

it's an absolutely sick cuck

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Woah I just did some research on taxi regs and apparently it's this whole thing about making sure drivers attend regular driving safety courses and not about strictly managing licenses to provide a source of income for the city and medallion owners at the expense of the drivers and passengers

Ha ha this loser makes not jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqlsmp0kn98

• Locked thread