Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
Even though people call bullshit on this particular instance there might be something to the theory. A collective information bank that all monkeys and all life is plugged into on an unconsciousness level.

I don't find it comforting but scary and uncomfortable. Facing something that large makes me squirm like I'm looking down into a canyon or hooked up to the Total Perspective Vortex from Hitchhikers.

Synchronicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I respectufully disagree op

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian

a starwar betamax posted:

I respectufully disagree op

someone on a Chinese imageboard probably just made a thread with 'ironic' shops of whatever the chinese version of Milo and Otis is (might just be Milo and Otis dubbed in their language, I know very little about china)

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
it's taken two years to drudge through, but I'm 600 pages into PKD's exegesis and let me tell you, the internet is the precursor to philotic network from Orson Scott Card's controversial 'Xenocide'

burn your bibles, sci-fic paperbacks are the truth. comics too

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

quote:

Claims that the practice spread suddenly to other isolated populations of monkeys may be called into question given the fact that at least one washing monkey swam to another population and spent about four years there

I sort of feel like if you're going to be a scientist this is the kind of thing you should make an effort to rule out before proposing a psychic monkey noosphere as your hypothesis

joxxuh
May 20, 2011
The real 'magic' is our universal human capacity for love and friendship, regardless of our other differences.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

"hello m'lady i am a scientist studying monkeys washing potatoes could i interest you in a date"
"lol i'm gonna go bang that bodybuilder. later nerdlinger"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

joxxuh posted:

The real 'magic' is our universal human capacity for love and friendship, regardless of our other differences.

friendship is magic, i agree

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian

thunderspanks posted:

"hello m'lady i am a scientist studying monkeys washing potatoes could i interest you in a date"
"lol i'm gonna go bang that bodybuilder. later nerdlinger"

'sex' is a vestigial biological function and will become obsolete and cease in the next iteration of homo sapien sapien

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I sort of feel like if you're going to be a scientist this is the kind of thing you should make an effort to rule out before proposing a psychic monkey noosphere as your hypothesis

true

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've got 99 monkeys
But I'm missing one
(Because then I'm gonna plug them into the invisible psychic medium that courses through the veins of the universe and we're gonna just sit around all day, silently nodding at each other while we engage in Gamma-wave tête-à-tête).

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hmm

lol. knowledge is literally the mass inside your skull being conditioned, not some sort of magical force

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

op have u heard about homeopathy??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0c5yClip4o

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

cis white male posted:

Even though people call bullshit on this particular instance there might be something to the theory. A collective information bank that all monkeys and all life is plugged into on an unconsciousness level.

I don't find it comforting but scary and uncomfortable. Facing something that large makes me squirm like I'm looking down into a canyon or hooked up to the Total Perspective Vortex from Hitchhikers.

Synchronicity.

This would make sense if like Einstein said, space wasn't empty but filled with space-time that touches on everything

But everything learned since his time kind of shows that Einstein was a hack

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

They're called homosexual-American nowadays, dude.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This thread is making me chimp out, op.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
someone took too much acid and didn't understand that the experience was a metaphor

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
phhhffahahahaha monkeys!!! gahaha look at those silly monkeys!!! gahahahaha

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

hey listen: im gay

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yivgev posted:

hey listen: im gay

*Points at you*

There he is, people.

Everybody remember his face.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

i think they mentioned this in 999, the videogame, or somethinhg like it anyway.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfIiRKLMjDY

essential. nobody sane watches embedded youtubes though so it basically says that we, as components of the universe, are simultaneously dustin hoffman, the Eiffel tower, jason schwartzman and every orgasm

flawed movie sure, but Mark Wahlburg gives his best performance in it so it's a must watch

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

quakster posted:

hmm

lol. knowledge is literally the mass inside your skull being conditioned, not some sort of magical force

then how come two people can know the same thing despite having different brains

explain that one smart guy

Aug 4, 2010

the matrix was a documentary

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
i'm that part at the end of Into the Wild where emile Hirsch scribbles "HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED" into the margins of a book except on a global scale

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
im that part in grizzly man where he rants schizophrenically at the camera about the epa and then starts crying

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

cis white male posted:

someone on a Chinese imageboard probably just made a thread with 'ironic' shops of whatever the chinese version of Milo and Otis is (might just be Milo and Otis dubbed in their language, I know very little about china)

p sure milo and otis IS the chinese version of milo and ots

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

gently caress you, OP, you aren't going to trick me into learning something new.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Seems like it would be pretty easy to rigorously test this theory. Wonder why no one has...

Oh yeah, cuz it's bullshit.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
the twelfth monkey's the only one that matters

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

if you think that's real and/or spooky you should check out science

check it out yo your hand and all your body and all your poo poo has got an electric fields which propagate throughout the entire universe. most everywhere they're super weak but it's practically everywhere

so, you move your hand and the whole universe changes, at the speed of light

speaking of which you're going through spacetime at that speed, too, the speed of light. if you're still, you're just moving the speed of light through time, but if you want to you can move around, and that means that you move some of the speed you're going through time into the speed you're going through space. you're always goin the same speed when you add it all up, but you can shift that poo poo around. if you could go the speed of light through space, requiring you to be massless, you wouldn't have any time component at all, you would never experience any time. you would have been born, and then the universe ends.

also spooky: you're a collection of pretty much totally separate tiny animals that got along pretty ok but they teamed up because its more efficient. you aren't a thing, you're more like a herd of mostly e coli. the fact that you can pretend that you aren't that is pretty much coincidence, and the things that make up your brain care as little about what you think or even if you have consciousness at all as a mailman cares what's in the letters he carries around. its just a thing they do

finally, you're made of fundamental particles that are totally indistinguishable from each other. there's like a dozen different atoms made of just 3 different basic things just repeated again and again. your body replaces pretty much all of them at some point and there is no way to feel it or to know about it at all because of how identical they are. you don't even own your atoms you're just a pattern written on them, for now, and your pattern will be so different tomorrow that aliens probably wouldn't be able to figure out it was the 'same person'

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
"woah" - Kurt Cobain, The Matrix

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

check it out yo your hand and all your body and all your poo poo has got an electric fields which propagate throughout the entire universe. most everywhere they're super weak but it's practically everywhere

speaking of which you're going through spacetime at that speed, too, the speed of light. if you're still, you're just moving the speed of light through time, but if you want to you can move around, and that means that you move some of the speed you're going through time into the speed you're going through space. you're always goin the same speed when you add it all up, but you can shift that poo poo around. if you could go the speed of light through space, requiring you to be massless, you wouldn't have any time component at all, you would never experience any time. you would have been born, and then the universe ends.

also spooky: you're a collection of pretty much totally separate tiny animals that got along pretty ok but they teamed up because its more efficient. you aren't a thing, you're more like a herd of mostly e coli. the fact that you can pretend that you aren't that is pretty much coincidence, and the things that make up your brain care as little about what you think or even if you have consciousness at all as a mailman cares what's in the letters he carries around. its just a thing they do

finally, you're made of fundamental particles that are totally indistinguishable from each other. there's like a dozen different atoms made of just 3 different basic things just repeated again and again. your body replaces pretty much all of them at some point and there is no way to feel it or to know about it at all because of how identical they are. you don't even own your atoms you're just a pattern written on them, for now, and your pattern will be so different tomorrow that aliens probably wouldn't be able to figure out it was the 'same person'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68temYq3vVI

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

so monkeys are like avatar?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

joxxuh posted:

speak for yourself im an autosexual megalomaniac or some other cool series of self diagnosed titles

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

chaosbreather posted:

what does this have to do with the cure's hit song "just like heaven"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Homo saiyan

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

chaosbreather posted:

You're comments actually allowed me to reach a breakthrough about the nature of reality. Gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces don't actually exist. Or rather, they are not properties of the vacuum in which all matter in the universe floats but properties of the specific sub-atomic particles all that matter is made up of. A unified field theory is impossible because there isn't a unified field that permeates space but a bunch of little fields interacting with each other.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yaldabaoth posted:

You're comments actually allowed me to reach a breakthrough about the nature of reality. Gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces don't actually exist. Or rather, they are not properties of the vacuum in which all matter in the universe floats but properties of the specific sub-atomic particles all that matter is made up of. A unified field theory is impossible because there isn't a unified field that permeates space but a bunch of little fields interacting with each other.

no

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yaldabaoth posted:

except that electromagnetism and the weak forces have been experimentally reunified and that's the basis for believing in grand unified theories and theories of everything as a meaningful goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010
Smoke weed.

Stockholm Syndrome fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 15, 2014

• Locked thread