Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Paying taxes should just include lottery tickets so these people can get their fix.
Clearly we should make gambling with the state something you can write your taxes off on.

OP saying gambling disproportionately hurts poor people is like saying substance abuse disproportionately hurts poor people. It's a temporary escape to a lovely life and you're trying to treat a symptom rather than the actual problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I bet OP gets really mad when he sees a poor buying a bottle of coke from a vending machine. Ugh he just wasted a buck fifty on something that doesn't improve his life.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

LifeSizePotato posted:

but when i see a scraggly poor person with a handful of losing scratchers tickets, i honestly get kind of depressed
There's a dive bar I go to now and then for their amazing burgers. They also have pulltabs. There's something uniquely depressing about seeing someone spend money you know they don't really have on losing tab after tab.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I have a hard time not associating the lotto with Elliot Rodgers after reading all those excerpts.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

i think everyone is talking money and is distracted from the real issue which is why aren't we gambling with our body parts
If this is what you want to read then boy howdy do I have the manga for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Does it really surprise anyone who has grown up and moved out of their parent's place that government programs that essentially force you to be responsible are beneficial for your average person? Even ignoring the efficiency of pool resources it makes a ton of sense why you would want to pressure or incentivize people to contribute to those kinds of programs, no one wants to think they're going to be the one that needs em but everyone is better off if they're available.

• Locked thread