Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol satanism is for freaks n geeks faggots everybody whos cool is into bahai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Kanthulhu posted:

The whole idea is to show the christians how annoying they are to others. If they taste their own poison maybe they will stop pushing their stupidity around so others stop doing the same to them.

lol read this again as if someone else wrote it and tell me if you think that person is naive as hell

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

Okay, imagine you're an angelic being who lives in heaven. You've spent the last infinite amount of years singing various hymns and praises, and know just about nothing else. Then you get a mission to go down to Earth. What do you do? What do humans have, what do they like? Well, they mostly have faces, eyes, limbs, wings, that sort of thing. They also like material things like wheels, fire, swords, gems, livestock and metals. So if you make those part of your appearance, they will pay more attention and your mission will be a success.

angels are shown in this passage to be basically god's heavenly machinery, any attribution of anthropomorphic nature to them is a misunderstanding; the angel guarding eden, for instance, is not well-differentiated from the sword which points in all directions; these angels are not well-differentiated from the chariot-throne they compose

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

IronClaymore posted:

Isn't that the plot of Prometheus? Anyway, movies about aliens creating people are slightly more entertaining than movies based on flawed King James Bible translations of stories about Moses or Jesus or Noah, so I'm going to go with the alien thing on that basis alone.

haha if you think translational flaws matter when it comes to the bible, only beauty and power are relevant

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Interesting. Why is that and do you happen to have an anthropologist or biblical scholar reference for this interpretation that goes into more depth?

nah, just my interpretation. it's true they occasionally appear with human features (as the human-faced angel which appears with the lion-faced, eagle-faced, and ox-faced angels around the throne in revelation; and these are basically the same angels indicated by kings 2 as the "machinery" of god's throne); this, however, seems to me not to be an expression of will from the angels themselves but an expression of god's will. it's pretty clear from genesis that only humans have "free will." being admittedly underinformed, i don't know of any cases where angels appear where they are not fulfilling a strictly utilitarian function, and in my opinion they are not separable from their function. sometimes they have a messenger function, sometimes an impregnation function, and in the famous 2 kings example they function as the actual divine structure of god's chariot-throne. so they seem to me to be a mechanical expression of god's functive will as lord of creation, and in every case where god has to intervene in the world (except in job and 2 kings), he does it through an angel (or, arguably, through some other minion like satan); the holy ghost would be an exception for a few special cases.

• Locked thread