Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure you have to log into your humble bundle account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man. Just started and spent 30 minutes agonizing over character selection. Truly the sign of a classic CRPG. I loved the first one, and am super excited to work through this one, especially if it's as big as the previews suggested.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I've a problem with this thread. I'm at work, I want to play. I can't help but to read this thread because I want to play but I can't so it makes me sad. So I read this thread to help me with the withdrawal but it makes me sad... :(

But seriously, this game is really nice. LoG was really fine but LoG2 is fine+1.

By the way, my OCD about hoarding everything makes me almost want to restart my game because of a goddamn rock lost forever in a strange bug:

At the beginning, I was attacking a turtle on the beach and my backrow rat alchemist throwed a rock. The turtle was 1 square away in the water and I was facing the ocean. Because maybe of the small denivelation but the rock went faaaar above the turtle and away in the ocean many squares beyond the map limit. I lost my pet rock forever :(

You can basically get infinite rocks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lonter posted:

Do injuries get healed over time by themselves? I got injured after beating the first boss, in the area just after that, but no tutorial message have told me what to do about it.µ

Use a crystal or healing potion.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

Where's the Temple (or something) of Gluttony at again? I found it once, but can't seem to find it again, and never marked it down on my map.

Underneath where you fight the leprechaun.

The skill thing kind of bugs me too. I have no idea what endgame I should be trying to reach, so I'm spreading pretty thin. It's absurd how strong the Minotaur can get though. I went Minotaur Barb with the head hunting trait and he's up to 30 strength already about 5 hours in. I need to get him some better weapons though, the Rapier is not cutting it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't want to play without potions, and the herb regrowth seems like it's pretty helpful for that. I'm getting decent damage out of firearms and using blowdarts or thrown weapons as a secondary fire for him but not investing in it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It appears Vitality / Willpower don't work the way they say they do...

Basically some guy on RPG Codex figured out that attribute gains on level are not happening, so you're better off picking the +20 energy / hp traits.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rascyc posted:

I've noticed the bonus evasion for Knights and their shields isn't working either. That stung a bit, cause I sure as heck didn't pick that class for 50% lighter armor :(

I saw that too yeah. Luckily I did pick the class for the 50% lighter armor. Heavy armor / dual wield stabbing ahoy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I restarted to do an ironman party on hard and try out some different builds.

Hard is hard. Guys are paper dolls. I've had my two front line guys die a half dozen times each, at least, and I've had three total party deaths.

Farmers are absurd though. I had a ton of food on my first playthrough and I wanted to see how they worked (I didn't finish by any stretch, but I spent ~6 hours and got a good lay of the land). My single farmer has outleveled the rest of my party 2:1 (lvls 8 v 4).

Is anyone mapping the dungeon themselves? I thought about doing it using grid cartographer but...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Malek posted:

For the Runekeeper, is this with 7 being the north west (bottom south) or from when you enter with the "top row" being closest to the cage?

Seems to keep pumping out fireballs no matter what combination I throw at it.

The pads closest to the cage are 789.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Malek posted:

I take it I can't just walk over to them and start there, I have to get it right in the first few steps or some how "reset it"? Or just drop objects on there?

I checked for pre-existing objects and found none.

Oh and also. gently caress Frogs.

Nah you've got to activate the pads all at once. Doesn't matter what order it's done in.

E: added spoiler, just in case

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Any ideas for how to build front line characters with some level of survivability in hard mode?

I've seen the insectoid battle mage suggestion, but I don't want to run two of them.

In the back I'm going Minotaur farmer (heavy weapons + crit) and Insectoid Rogue (light dex weapons + speed).

Maybe a Lizardman knight for that fourth spot? It just seems like evade is pretty useless as a survival mechanism in hard, and actually focusing on tanking seems really skill point intensive.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gyre posted:

How do you wake up the guardian of the bridge? Throwing stuff at him does nothing.

It does, it's just not noticeable if you weren't paying attention to the area around you before you did that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I put a fair number of hours into my hard playthrough but finally gave it up somewhere in the Ruins (with some of Pyramid and the Bog cleared). I got sick of my front line falling apart the second something touched them. I think I'll give it another shot once I beat it on normal.

My new party is pretty fun.

Front line
Insectoid Fighter (because I like specials) running heavy weapons. (Max heavy weapons, armor to 4, accuracy and crit)
Human Battlemage with heavy armor investment and spamming Fire. (Armor to 4, max fire and concentration, grab some air)

Back line
Minotaur Barbarian with heavy weapons. Get accuracy to 2, max heavy weapons, max accuracy, max crit.
Ratling Farmer with duel wield daggers + maxed crit. This loses out damage wise to a rogue in the same spot, but I think the level difference may give it an edge over the long term. Early on I grabbed the thief cache and used the bow without investing in missiles, which gave me a nice early game damage boost and meant I didn't have to rush light weapons as I maxed out crit. He'll also be the one to take alchemy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cosmic Afro posted:

I keep hearing about how the bonus HP/Energy from Vitality/Willpower per level is bugged, which is quite true! I also keep hearing that there is a beta patch that you can get to fix it. Where do you get that, anyway? From Steam Beta-Opt in options?

The bug is that the tooltip was wrong. The beta fixes that tooltip.

It's an opt-in that you access by right clicking the game and selecting properties. I think the tab is called "Beta".

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skippy McPants posted:

The Farmer was an outstanding bit of design work.

"Hey, you know that one resource you're always hoarding and constantly terrified of running low on? Yeah, we're gonna go ahead and give you a class which makes that problem worse, suffer nerd!"

Really?

I honestly was overloaded with food to the extent I wasn't even picking it up when I didn't have a farmer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

For some comparison, when I beat Grimrock 1 I had less than 23k Steps total. that includes extra getting lost a lot and wandering around having no idea what I'm doing with puzzles. If those numbers are accurate, I would have grown TWO whole Blackmoss herbs, in my entire playthrough of Grimrock 1.

I have ~8000 steps and have only really touched the Ruins (and twigroot) on this playthrough. Seorin, how many did you end up finishing with?

e: arg sorry for the double post

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Would it be to spoilerific if I asked someone to recommend which areas to progress through in which order? I'm several hours into the game, and I'm surprised by how nonlinear it is. I should probably explore on my own, but I'm scared :(

Also, could someone provide me with a hint for the "Hold your breath" puzzle in Sleet Island? I keep dying.

This one was annoying because its what you think it is... Just more than you expect.

Here's a cool thing: spears work underwater. Time to die you drat mermaids.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Flashing Twelve posted:

How do I kill these swarms of green things at Hamlet of Stormbreach? I think they're flies or something. They take zero damage from any weapon, thrown item, firearm and spell that I have. Lightning actually heals them.

I was just going to post about these guys. They are terrible monsters and honestly I think they're a real flaw in the game's design.

You have two options to kill them apparently, outside of stuff like telefragging them.

Ethereal dagger obtainable from, I think, the cemetery

or

The dispel spell obtainable from a secret rest at the spire of meditation

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cuntpunch posted:

Any hint possible for Path of the Eagle(in Lexiconary)?

I've tried firing ammo across the gap(since I can't see whether or not there are pressure plates on the opposite side, top level. I feel like I've looked at the walls for hidden buttons but haven't found any.

Take a leap of faith.

(I literally just did that but don't know where to go now.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DrManiac posted:

Ok, I'm missing a gem in the ruin/sewer area. I think I got two from the lexicon and I got one from beating the boss of the sewer.

also is there really only letters in the archive? I can't find anything else but there should be something since it took a fair amount of effort to get in there

The letters are a clue to a later puzzle. Domt lose them.

Did you go to the resevoir? The area with mosquitos near the rat boss.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

seorin posted:

Assuming average mutation results and a level of almost 20 (not sure if that's possible), you're basically comparing ~10 accuracy, 25 hp, and 25 energy to 2-3 skill points. I'm a lot more concerned about getting enough skill points than I am the extra stats. Ratling wouldn't be a bad choice, though. I also just wanted to see what kind of ridiculous extreme I could get a farmer to by pushing as much exp at it as possible. :v:

Are you going to farm herder's den?

I'm pretty sure you could achieve some insane level by spending a couple hours there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Oh I dunno I'm gonna need those crystals with how much I'm likely to be dying. Don't tempt me!

e: gently caress it you convinced me. Im gonna try it (and probably really regret it). I'm not turning off maps though, I'm too lazy to draw them

ee: actually I honestly don't have the balls to try all of those things my first run through :o. I'm just gonna try it on hard but with no other options enabled and see at least how that goes first.

Hard is such an rear end in a top hat of a difficulty.

Ironman by itself is honestly not a big deal at all. I've quicksaved in this run to save time and game the system a bit, but really it's not a big difference compared to what I saw with an ironman run (which I quit about a third into the game). On normal the game is easy enough. On hard the game is a bitch, but where you save isn't the biggest problem. The tough areas are invariably really close to save points. Hard + ironman + one shot crystals would require an insanely optimized party and a planned equipment route I think. Or a lot of time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NiknudStunod posted:

Is it just me or do ratlings seem to be the best race for almost every class? The mutation trait seems to be way to strong compared to every other race. My current ratling party is

My level 11 Minotaur barb had 43 strength. My level 16 ratling farmer who eats cheese and has most of the rogue gear had all of 30 dex or thereabouts. Ratlings are ok but I don't think their ability is all that great if you aren't focusing their leveling somehow (the necklace or as a farmer). Marginal stat increases are actually pretty marginal. You want to find ways to increase stats in a big way, and the ratling ability is kind of meh for that.

e: ^^ You can kill underwater monsters by hitting them with spear type weapons, which work underwater or falling on them. You don't get xp for the second method but you do for the first.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skippy McPants posted:

The one that drops inside the cache is scripted, yeah.

So far as I know all the Gold Key drops and locations are fixed, since it's intended by design that you will never have enough of them to open every gold lock in the game.

There is an item that will allow you to open every golden lock.

Honestly I find the golden treasure to be pretty bleh anyway. I have 3 keys that I don't know what to do with.

A great use of your first golden key is to get the rope from the cache (with the serpent bracers) which allows you to climb down pits. I would not want to play a game without it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scrag posted:

Yes, but breaking your legs on the fall can be a pain in the rear end. The rope negates that, and there's a lot of pits you need to jump down on purpose.

You should jump into literally every pit.

Fall damage is meaningless except at early levels (ie not when you're at Crystal Mines) but preventing wounds is always relevant.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NiknudStunod posted:

If you rolled a ratling barbarian you would start with 4 lower strength but would have the potential to have a higher ending strength if you get lucky on rolls.

No, because the skull trait accounts for 7 of that strength.

I think Ratling is probably better on a Dex build but even so it costs a trait to take mutation and realistically you should only expect around 4 of any particular stat unless you go farmer or grind respawn enemies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GhostDog posted:

I can't overstate how much the sense of exploration adds to this game for me. I liked Grimrock 1 well enough, but this I love.

It brings me back so much to playing RPGs for hours on end in my teens. I have spent way too much time playing this over the past several days.

The exploration, the character development, the puzzles, the secrets are all great.

What I don't like is how some enemies auto hit when you move in range. Instead of the 2 step dance you now have to sit there and wait for them to walk into range. Not an improvement. (I'm thinking ogre, crab, zombie soldiers early on).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just made it to The Hamlet and figured out the 3 switches puzzle. Oh, a chest? I'll just see what's ins-JESUS gently caress. loving CHRIST. You got me good Grimrock.

This is constant through the rest of the game, to the point it's not a surprise at all when it happens, it's a surprise when it doesn't.

On another note:

In the pyramids any clues on the Guadian puzzle? I figured out how to get the sword (sweeeet, going to rush this puzzle on a future playthrough), I'm wondering if or how it's possible to fall into the tile above the potion, the one that only opens when there's a teleporter on it)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Optimal party, I'm thinking...

Front line:

Human Barbarian. Skilled + fast learner. Rush heavy armor, heavy weapons, accuracy.

Insect battlemage. Aura + chitin. Rush heavy armor, probably fire magic. 20 prot out the gate.

Back Line:

Minotaur fighter. Aggressive + head hunter. Rush accuracy 2, max heavy weapons, dodge 3. Grabs some concentration + a water level (for dispel). Wears the archmage + strength armor (bear stuff). Constant big damage special attacks.

Last one I'm unsure of. Dex based ... Not sure if farmer or rogue, not sure if human or ratling. Early game uses missile weapons without investment, mid to late game hits backstabs. I'd say farmer and put your support here (alchemy), but I'd also game the poo poo out of it (rush the experience amulet, don't level him until you get it, and rush the starvation amulet to limit food use). If you go human you could expect to be level 20+ by game end pretty easily I think, unless there is a level cap.

What I'm not sure about is how much of an impact resistances have in the endgame on hard mode. If a lot I'd go Lizard rather than insect for the mage. Anyone want to chime in there?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

seorin posted:

I was thinking of avoiding it to make my party more natural for comparison sake, but if the goal is to make a party that's min maxed to hell, I'm guessing that farming the poo poo out of super fast respawns is fair game. On the downside, because of the way the exp curve shoots up I'm thinking I'd recommend against using a farmer unless you want to spend at least a couple hours... uh, farming. :v: On the upside, the party I mentioned earlier is strong enough to just straight up murder mushroom men without any tricks or gimmicks. To hell with hiding in a corner or finding a safe place to rest, just start killing and don't ever stop. :black101:

My current thoughts on a probable best is dex rogue and strength rogue in front, heavy weapon + concentration fighter and alchemist thrower in back. If that's too clicky for you replace the strength rogue with a barbarian tank.

Your first comment: How do you deal with the poison? That was my biggest problem farming it. My guys could straight up survive no problem, but over time the poison wore us down and I had to end it. I could have farmed for hours if I just kept one spawner alive, but that would have been boring, so instead I kept two up but stopped after about 10 minutes. At that point I had already maxed out my farmer's key skills and just didn't know where to put new skill points. I've basically stopped levelling my farmer up now (at 17) despite having the food for it. One issue with farmer is that he doesn't have the life gain to really stand in the front lines, so you have to find alternate uses for him. I guess alchemy / magic might make sense.

Your second comment: How's survivability when backed into a corner? EV based guys seem really flimsy, even moreso on hard.

e: Pyramid extra puzzle questions

I found a scroll that says "3 steps x and south from x x". Any ideas?

and another note that talks about a guy with 6 vassals, it came with the mirror gauntlets. I don't see anywhere with 7 sarcophagus though.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 21, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CuwiKhons posted:

Hint: This is deeper in the pyramid, not near the other sarcophagus rooms, and it's opened with a hidden switch.

Huh, I could have sworn I had already checked that spot. Oh well, thanks!

(and yeah, I wouldn't leave them behind. the moonblade is a great midgame weapon.)

I found another scroll dealing with the other thing I asked about. Hm.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Malek posted:

No it doesn't. Forgot what it lead to but I think it was just a +1 stat potion and some other stuff.

2 +1 stat potions. And pie!.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pierzak posted:

I solved the cipher, but I remember having either a stone face or a tablet use it before, but can't recall where exactly, anyone remember where the first one was?

Near the wargs in Twigroot forest (west side).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lesbian baphomet posted:

Oh, I've been wondering how to attack or fight at all while underwater. Is that what the spears and harpoons can do?

Yep.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jackard posted:

Cant imagine a time I would ever fight underwater unless theres some trick to not drowning

The turtles are extra meat!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My biggest issue with the combat is how useless evasion turned out to be.

In the first game you could run a front line character who had no protection and just stack evasion. In this one that's not an option.

I'm also not a big fan of the skill level restrictions on items / casting / alchemy (I don't remember if the first game had casting level restrictions). I'd much rather you still be able to use the thing but just less effectively.

Other than that, I mean it's a real time grid based blobber. There's only so much you can do. It comes down to level design more than anything.

e: Also considering how tough some of the enemies (crabs) can be, the bosses go down surprisingly quickly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Valle posted:

In LoG 1 you got 4 points each time you leveled up, and each skill maxed out at 50. Shock was level 4 air, Lightning Bolt level 14 (upgraded to Greater at 29), and Invisibility 19. Fireburst level 2 fire magic, fireball 13 and greater at 24. Ice shards were level 3, frostbolt 13 and then greater at 24. Weapons also had skill levels required, but generally for the best and 2nd best weapons, and they required 15 and 10, respectively. Weapons were split up into more classes though, so techically it's now easier getting to a point where you can use multiple weapons.

I do definitely prefer the light / heavy split. You were really at the mercy of your puzzle solving ability in LoG1 in terms of what weapons you ended up finding. Without prior knowledge / meticulous checking, it was easy to skill for an item you didn't find (or a subpar version of it).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: Unfortunately none other classes can really touch the Rogue and Barbarian in terms of power. Having one of their traits provide a damage boost that scales with level just makes them so much better. As for everyone else; the Fighter, Wizard and Farmer at least have some potential utility that can make them useful with the right grinding or gear, but the Knight, Alchemist and Battle Mage are just sort of rubbish.

It feels like the Battle Mage's protection / resist from carrying a staff makes him a pretty solid front line tank. Until the end game (and set bonuses) shields don't really come close to being as effective as +10 prot / +10 resist all. Combine with the shield spell and he can carry a lot of the load during the midgame. His power is kind of bleh though, and he gets outpaced by equipment upgrades later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skippy McPants posted:

This is what flatlined the class' potential for me. At least the generic Wizard can carry their weight in the late game by equipping Archmage's and spamming energy Pots, but the Battle Mage just doesn't have an answer to other front liners strapping on Bane or the Meteor Hammer and wrecking face.

He falls into the classic hybrid trap for being spread too thin. He wants to wear +eng gear to support casting often enough to make giving up his weapon slot for a staff seem like a justifiable choice, but he also needs prot gear, since he's designed go on the front row. Since there is no +eng Heavy Armor he simply cannot do both and so fails at the thing his class is designed for past roughly the game's midpoint.

I think he could be ok being your meteor hammer carrier. He makes sense to get fire from an early stage and you could go 1 fire 5 concentration 4 armor 5 heavy weapons and a couple points of accuracy. He'd have enough mana to shoot the hammer special more than once.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by magic's damage potential late game, spells are just so fiddly when the action gets heavy.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 24, 2014

• Locked thread