Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rapman the Cook posted:

Doesnt know what tax is

OH MY GOD IM SO SORRY, ILL GET 75% OF 140 DOLLARS WHICH IS STILL MORE MONEY THAN IVE EVER GOTTEN IN A WEEK SHOVE IT UP YOUR rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

Sancho posted:

poo poo I had my first job at 16 bagging groceries now I run a full-fledged dick sucking business.

You provide an excellent product. would use again

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Puppy Galaxy posted:

If you're trying to get your first job at 22 you are a millennial stereotype. You have been coddled your entire life and will be a failure.

I know, right. But whatever.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
so what kind of jobs were you applying for op

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

you irl posted:

so what kind of jobs were you applying for op

Ball polishing jobs. Hey professors get lonely sometimes.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Work at the uni IT department OP. Get paid $15/hr to do homework and tell people not to eat in lab.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I applies for some tv monitoring job at a university funded public broadcasting thing (hey kid make sure the tv channels don't go dead)

Also one that was like filing wooooo

A couple food related jobs like working at a dining hall I guess

And also a parking enforcement job lmao, though the job description makes me think I'll be some file bitch or something

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
yeah you're a bitch alright

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh and a job at the library. I think I applied for like five or four I forget.

Vegeta
Sep 11, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Tsinava posted:

enjoy your nepotism. you live in a world where no one can touch you.

more like no one wants to haha owned

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I've been working since I was 14, fulltime since I was 19. 34 now and still don't earn 6 figures, but with my wife's income we're a few pay raises shy of earning 1/4 million a year. We also have no kids, so it's nice having some free cash.

Get a wife, OP, not a job. They're pretty cool.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
At the very least I'm never having kids. Jesus Christ what a monetary drain I am.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

SHISHKABOB posted:

no I live in a three bedroom apartment, 415 a month for rent and then electricity
Do you live in Somalia??

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I dont understand why u would be happy in a straight salary job... like u have a hard cap on wot the company is going to pay you no matter what you do. That fuckin sucks, and you have to negotiate raises and all that bullshit

If I want a raise I just go sell some poo poo to someone.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I dont understand why u would be happy in a straight salary job... like u have a hard cap on wot the company is going to pay you no matter what you do. That fuckin sucks, and you have to negotiate raises and all that bullshit

what happens if u burn out and lose ur mojo and suddenly the magic's gone

then youre hosed mate

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
23 with no credit and just a part time job reporting in

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

OH MY GOD IM SO SORRY, ILL GET 75% OF 140 DOLLARS WHICH IS STILL MORE MONEY THAN IVE EVER GOTTEN IN A WEEK SHOVE IT UP YOUR rear end

If you learn a trade and do real work, you can make that in a day.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Waroduce posted:

Eh. I can see the advantages of salary. If there's downtime and stuff, you dont have to worry about not getting paid. I was the field engineer for a project and I'm paid hourly, but the contractor crew is paid salary. so I couldnt really do other work since I was in another country when there was downtime with the construction because of delays and poo poo though the crew still got paid but i didn't have much to do so I lost out on billable hours.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Waroduce posted:

straight salary is kinda annoying

like I just did something that could bring in a poo poo ton of new customers and revenue for our company, but I'm not guaranteed to see any benefits myself from it

luckily my boss is cool so hopefully I can be like, yo, how's that cool thing I did working out for the company? oh, millions of dollars in new ARR? hmmmm maybe u should cut me in on that

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SHISHKABOB posted:

You're 22 and you've never made $120 in a week? Seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you. I wouldn't hire your rear end.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

jesus christ dude I'm talking about a part time job that I'm going to have for a loving semester or two of college, I'm not planning out my life career here

Royal W posted:

yes thanks for the tip I'll keep it in mind for literally the rest of my life

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You're 22 and you've never made $120 in a week? Seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you. I wouldn't hire your rear end.

I'm glad I'm in the pool of other worthless millennial kids in college who have never worked an honest day in their lives either so I'm on square footing with the rest of them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lollerich posted:

Do you live in Somalia??

no I live in a college town

it's actually a pretty great apartment like it's nice and stuff nothing is ever broken and I have all I need. But really idk if 415 a monthis a lot? For a three bedroom? Idk man, I'm a clueless kid.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Gaunab posted:

you're not selling me on sales
Sales is loving awful. I hate interacting with people so much.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Secks Cauldron posted:

Sales is loving awful. I hate interacting with people so much.

I hate people to but you just pretend to be their bff while you're with them and it ez, im friendly as gently caress 9-5 but benith this smooth, friendly personality is a burning desire to be left alone and not talk to anyone. But I think of it like this all I gotta do is smile and be friendly and listen to ur bullshit about ur kids or wife or mistress or whatever and support the same cityname sportsteam as u for u to sign this agreement than ur paying me to be your bff

I can do that.

My boss is the same way he hates people and is grouchy as gently caress but infront of clients he is the friendliest man you ever met

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

SHISHKABOB posted:

But really idk if 415 a monthis a lot? For a three bedroom? Idk man, I'm a clueless kid.
That sounds like a lot of room for very little money.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
op your apartment is stupid cheap you should sublet it

why dont you apply to some real jobs that might actually look at your resume instead of lovely ones that you won't even want to put on your resume when you're tired of working there

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

the culminator posted:

23 with no credit and just a part time job reporting in

get a credit card. make sure to use it for purchases you can pay back

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i think it's okay if you get your first job now op. after all when you turned 16, that was the height of the recession

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Royal W posted:

Start a business and you can make this in the time it takes to post

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

EngineerSean posted:

Start a business and you can make this in the time it takes to post

this. businesses started by 22 year old astrophysics majors with no business experience are almost always successful

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME
I wish you the best of luck in your career and life, OP.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Domo arigato, sempai.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
When I graduated with a computer science degree I took a game testing job thinking "ok I'll just do this temporarily while I get a programming job and I'll be on my way to moneytown" now I'm 28 and I'm testing video game consoles instead of just video games but that's even worse because at least before I was playing video games all day, now I'm just a low-level grunt lost in a sea of unfulfilled dreams. I just wanted to make video games man.

Uh I guess what I'm trying to say is the day you settle is the day the rest of your miserable life starts, hope that helps.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
yeah so uh don't settle for a poo poo job? The first job you get doesn't have to be the job you have the rest of your life lmao

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

yeah so uh don't settle for a poo poo job? The first job you get doesn't have to be the job you have the rest of your life lmao

Pursuing ur dreams doesn't always pay the bills and keep u fed

Themistocles
Nov 7, 2003

Fighting for democracy since 483 BC

SHISHKABOB posted:

Domo arigato, sempai.
:goonsay:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Pursuing ur dreams doesn't always pay the bills and keep u fed

U can pursue yr dreams and also be realistic about things.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Who needs a cs degree? All my peers already make six figures even before they get their degree, they just want the paper.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

U can pursue yr dreams and also be realistic about things.

then why are you applying for poo poo jobs that won't do anything for your resume? thats neither being pragmatic nor pursuing your dreams unless your dreams are really lame

you have a bs in physics you can do better than making copies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

you irl posted:

then why are you applying for poo poo jobs that won't do anything for your resume? thats neither being pragmatic nor pursuing your dreams unless your dreams are really lame

you have a bs in physics you can do better than making copies

jesus loving christ dude I'm applying for jobs while I'm a student in order to make my life easier ok. Being a student is the most important thing and that's what I'm focusing on. Having some nice part time job while I'm a student will help pay for poo poo and make life easier. How loving hard is this to comprehend.

• Locked thread