Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I know applying for a job is nothing to be excited about in reality but hey man I shot out four applications and once I finish these cover letters I'll be able to apply for a bunch more. It's a numbers game that's what they keep telling me. Also they're all university jobs and I'm a student so it'll be a fun experience.

gently caress you weepy millennial stereotype I'M GONNA GET ME A JOB AND MAKE A LIFE FOR MYSELF gently caress YEAH YEEHAW COWABUNGA :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

gently caress you my resume rules

the biggest part is "ASTROPHYSICS" bitches be all "WHOALY poo poo THIS GUY IS SUPER SMART GIVE HIM A JOB STAT"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

roymorrison posted:

lol have fun getting lovely at whatever your hobby is because you're going to be working all the time. actually whatever it's probably video games so ur good

yeah seriously lmao

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

lol if you think your BS in astrophysics means anything. it just screams to employers that you couldn't get into grad school and are a failure in life

says the BA in business :lol:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
i am in school gently caress you

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

king salmon posted:

in 6 months you'll be working in a grocery store

I hope so, honestly that's part of the plan

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

the only thing a job does is allow you to go into more debt

that doesn't make sense

look all I want is a job to do while I'm at school so that I can save up some money and stop relying on my parents so much for money

like if I work 20 hours a week at 7 bucks an hour thats 140 a week sounds p good to me, working that job will pay for my rent!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
i applied to jobs through my university's job application website, literally all of the people applying to these jobs are college students

Shadow posted:

Totally lolled at this. I had a similar thought when reading the OP, only I focused on how long it would take before reality crushes his spirit.

OP- science degrees are kinda worthless unless you have a masters. If you're not very ambitious and don't mind a life teaching high school physics, then you're probably good to go.

Edit:

Totally missed the bit about working while continuing to go to school. Never mind, good luck, OP.

I know I need a msters, the future is hazy, but the present is: get a job! getting a job will help me get my head on straight cause working and labor are good for the soul. At least, not the mind-crushing kind of labor. Good labor. I hope I get an ok job.

I won't.

I'm gonna die.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

your parents only charge you $400/month for rent? that's nice of them.

no I live in a three bedroom apartment, 415 a month for rent and then electricity

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey guys in just tryin to be an adult and take responsibility for myself and that means get a job!!!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

talk about failure to launch

Wow gently caress you

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tsinava posted:

you have an extremely disappointing future ahead of you. i hope you have a nice cheap weed hook up.

All futures are disappointing lmao unless you base it off of MONEY MONEY MOMEY but I mean hey if I got the money resources to pay for necessities and the poo poo like that and then I have other ways to fulfil myself then drat guys u r a bunch of cynical bastards.

Life is not about trying to pile a bunch of gold in yr hoard as fast as possible lmao

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Me 2

I am hopeful for it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Race Realists posted:

yea who needs a degree that has a practical loving application?

lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rapman the Cook posted:

Doesnt know what tax is

OH MY GOD IM SO SORRY, ILL GET 75% OF 140 DOLLARS WHICH IS STILL MORE MONEY THAN IVE EVER GOTTEN IN A WEEK SHOVE IT UP YOUR rear end

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Puppy Galaxy posted:

If you're trying to get your first job at 22 you are a millennial stereotype. You have been coddled your entire life and will be a failure.

I know, right. But whatever.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I applies for some tv monitoring job at a university funded public broadcasting thing (hey kid make sure the tv channels don't go dead)

Also one that was like filing wooooo

A couple food related jobs like working at a dining hall I guess

And also a parking enforcement job lmao, though the job description makes me think I'll be some file bitch or something

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh and a job at the library. I think I applied for like five or four I forget.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
At the very least I'm never having kids. Jesus Christ what a monetary drain I am.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

I dont understand why u would be happy in a straight salary job... like u have a hard cap on wot the company is going to pay you no matter what you do. That fuckin sucks, and you have to negotiate raises and all that bullshit

If I want a raise I just go sell some poo poo to someone.

jesus christ dude I'm talking about a part time job that I'm going to have for a loving semester or two of college, I'm not planning out my life career here

Royal W posted:

If you learn a trade and do real work, you can make that in a day.

yes thanks for the tip I'll keep it in mind for literally the rest of my life

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You're 22 and you've never made $120 in a week? Seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you. I wouldn't hire your rear end.

I'm glad I'm in the pool of other worthless millennial kids in college who have never worked an honest day in their lives either so I'm on square footing with the rest of them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lollerich posted:

Do you live in Somalia??

no I live in a college town

it's actually a pretty great apartment like it's nice and stuff nothing is ever broken and I have all I need. But really idk if 415 a monthis a lot? For a three bedroom? Idk man, I'm a clueless kid.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Domo arigato, sempai.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
yeah so uh don't settle for a poo poo job? The first job you get doesn't have to be the job you have the rest of your life lmao

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Pursuing ur dreams doesn't always pay the bills and keep u fed

U can pursue yr dreams and also be realistic about things.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

you irl posted:

then why are you applying for poo poo jobs that won't do anything for your resume? thats neither being pragmatic nor pursuing your dreams unless your dreams are really lame

you have a bs in physics you can do better than making copies

jesus loving christ dude I'm applying for jobs while I'm a student in order to make my life easier ok. Being a student is the most important thing and that's what I'm focusing on. Having some nice part time job while I'm a student will help pay for poo poo and make life easier. How loving hard is this to comprehend.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress do you think I want the money for?? Hookers and blow?????

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

klapman posted:

man if this is how you react to dudes on an internet forum giving you poo poo customer service is going to eat you alive

Is this post real

Somehow I believe it to be, because id like it to be?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

i must compose posted:

yeah but you can't really survive on 7 dollars an hour for 20 hours a week

no loving poo poo

i live off my parents right now

i live in an apartment, i have no income other than what my parents give me

i am a student

i am getting a job to supplement myself and not rely on my parents so much

this is temporary, this is not a permanent life goal being achieved right now

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

as i tell everyone you should kill yourself. i'm not telling you that because i hate you but because life is meaningless and once the last bubble of college education is gone the world will make you feel like a failure even though you tried your best. unless you're white, then you have a better chance of surviving but just remember that you're going to die anyway and wouldn't you want to go out on your own terms? I mean you didn't choose to be born but you can choose when you die.

Thank god I'm white

And yes but I want to cuddle with some pretty ladies before I whiff it so yeah gimme twenty years we'll see where I'm at

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Playing vanilla wow in 2014 when you're a 22 year old in college probably won't help with your goals re : pretty ladies.

Yeah I mean I know "plays video games = nerd = gross" but I'm doing objectively pretty well re : pretty ladies so I don't think your logic holds.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got an email back from one of the job people and he's asking me about what shifts I want and stuff so maybe this might go somewhere I hope. Who gives a poo poo at least I got a bite.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

EngineerSean posted:

I almost cannot wait to watch your spirit be broken.

hahahahah lmao if only u knew

no but seriously

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
ok I dont mean to make any assumptions but that doesn't really sound like the shoes I'm in

but I feel like I understand what you are saying, and at once agree and feel some disagreement towards it, and I appreciate your advice for life.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
im scared and dont know what is going to happen in the rest of my life

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
i think its time i threw myselff off a cliff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey guys I just did all my paperwork and got my first shift. 7 hours a week doing dishes hooray!

• Locked thread