Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

AAA DOLFAN posted:

3rd and 1. Miami has converted 2 previous (2 for 2 mind you) 3rd and 1s by rushing Lamar Miller behind Albert and Dion Sims on an inside tackle dive, simple play but they cant stop it because Albert is a loving strong man. Miami is driving, they are down by a single score, and moving well. Time is busting though, and we need to keep the defense off the field. Easy play call right? Nah.

Miami calls a play action cross route with a delayed flats to Lamar Miller.

Ryan Tannehill doesn't see Lamar Miller wide open for the first down, stares down a blitzer and gets sacked.

BUT THE OFFENSIVE LINE, CRAZY, THE OFFENSIVE LINE. HES ALWAYS SACKED! SURELY HE HAD NO TIME TO REACT!

4.1 seconds from snap to sack. It's just so stupid. When I brought up the time, and another guy helped me with video reference (I said "He had well over 3 seconds to throw, that's above average in the NFL for a play like that" and another poster jumped in to show he had over four)

I was told thats not much time at all. I loving hate the apologists that refuse to change their stance. I used to defend him as well, but Im seeing a guy regress. Lazor's fault? Possibly. But knowing what we know about Philbin's insane dedication and stubbornness to his stupid system is mind blowing.

Im not getting into the defense because honestly Im not very good at breaking down defenses.

edit:

Hickey's free agents and drafting are home runs so far. But of course, you can't judge for 1-2 years AFTER the first season, so its too early. All Im saying is, every single position he's replaced has been an upgrade, with the exception of Cortland Finnegan. Will Davis will likely supplant him soon. Davis is looking like a great great coverage db

Tannehill also never leaves the pocket because he is a retard fucker idiot bitch

swickles posted:

I don't know if its coaching or a new GM, but someone does deserve some credit for fixing that O-line.

It is better, as is the rushing attack, and we will get like zero mileage out of either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

who gets the blindfold and cigarette next?

Philbin is still on the hot seat as are Coughlin and Rex

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ozu posted:

Woody wont fire him midseason but we're staring down a 1-6 barrel so things aren't looking good for Rex's security.

Also La Canfora says that Greg Olson would be the interim for the Raiders and not Sparano.

Seems dumb but I guess Davis the Lesser is using it as a tryout to see if he should retain him and why not I guess, it's not like Sparano is worth a poo poo as a head coach

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Everyone stares at the ground uncomfortably as Dennis Allen describes his plans for practice and how he'll get the team back on course

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Benne posted:

There's a non-zero chance that Whisenhunt goes one-and-done now

He's not very good at the HC thing

He and Wade Phillips should get matching "PETER" and "PRINCIPLE" tattoos

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

someone hire Marty

The game has passed him by

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'm pretty sure the Dolphins have tried and failed to sign Orton before as sad as that is to read

The even sadder thing is that he'd be in the top 5 quarterbacks the Dolphins have had since Marino and arguably top 3

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

I HOPE WE BOTH TIE

That's my favorite Mountain Goats song

defiantgiant posted:

In fairness, we're talking about this after a game where (1) the Patriots dropped 50+ on the Bears, (2) Brady threw for 10 yards an attempt, completed over 85% of his passes, and scored 5 TDs, and (3) at least 6 different Bears defenders got absolutely roasted by Gronk. I'm thinking Mel Tucker needs to be the first guy out the door, and then give Trestman a year to win some games with Rex Ryan or somebody (please let it be Rex Ryan) running the D. The Bears could at least try to work out their dumb issues on offense if their defense didn't make Ryan Tannehill look like Aaron Rodgers.

But what do I know, I thought they should have fired Tucker after that whole "historically awful defense" thing he did last year. Maybe I'm failing to remember his legendary Cleveland and Jacksonville teams, but when has he ever given anyone an indication that he's actually, y'know, capable of putting together a good defense?

To be fair it's the healthiest Gronk's looked all season and while it's a chicken/egg situation there aren't a lot of dudes who can cover Gronk at his best

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It'd be cool if Todd Bowles came back to Miami I guess, I dunno if he ever had a real shot as a defensive guy who had never been DC before but who knows

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

I never really understood the point of the midseason firing in the NFL. In the NBA it makes sense, you have enough games to improve, and the systems are not as complex, but why bother in the NFL? The worst possible outcome is your team goes on a heater after you fire you head coach and you are now stuck with the tight ends coach you promoted to take over.

What midseason firing ever turned out to really pay off vs just waiting until the end of the year? I just don't get the upside.

It lets you audition guys already on the staff to see if they're worth retaining, and if a coach is a lame duck, it will likely affect the development of players on offense and defense.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

This. Winning the SB is luck. If you have an elite QB you can pretty much win 10+ games and be competitive for a decade. That's the point.

I mean the Niners have been pretty competitive during the Kaepernick era

Ehud posted:

Ryan Tannehill is right in that meaty part of the curve. Not showing off, not falling behind...

A solid, workmanlike quarterback who won't win you games but won't lose them either. The Toyota Corolla of quarterbacks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Tannehill has been good lately but overall seems destined to be one of those dudes who starts for like 10 different teams and is constantly losing his job to rookies who are worse than him but also more promising long term.

We also have one of those backing him up

I guess success seems too intimidating to the Dolphins so they've decided that mediocrity at the position suits them fine (it certainly is better than what they've been doing for the past 13 years)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Oh wait we've started Chad Henne, Jay Fiedler, and Gus Frerotte for entire seasons, nm

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ehud posted:

Real talk though

Tannehill has like a 103 QB rating since Philbin threatened to bench him before the London game lol

Maybe he's good now?

Nah

He might be hitting his stride and breaking out and the Dolphins r gonna do it and make the playoffs but I doubt it, I am very encouraged by Lamar Miller though and I think the ground attack is sustainable even if the Dolphins want like nothing to do with it

Dolphins chat up in the Hot Seat thread

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I'm just salty about Mark Sanchez starting for my team so I'm in full "gently caress the Jets mode".

I get "gently caress the Jets" but the Eagles are like 3-1 under Sanchez so I think everything will be okay

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hire more Hispanic coaches but only if they are good at it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hire Will Muschamp

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I refuse to believe that the team that barely squeaked by the Jets last night loving blanked us.

Ha yeah the Dolphins are a loving mystery

Burger Trench posted:

Joe Philbin was brought on because of his work as a QB coach to Aaron Rodgers. Every year under him, raw prospect Ryan Tannehill has looked better. The team as a whole has looked better every year under him. The front office has been mostly lovely at drafting and signing free agents.

The bedtime stuff and the handling of the bullying scandal was embarrassing, but from the football side of things, it's hard to hang too much on him. He's made some bad game time or clock management decisions I guess, but that's true of most coaches.

He's an offensive coach whose best asset is his defense and who is incredibly risk averse. I don't especially care to have a Seinfeld-quoting Tony Sparano heading up the team on game day.

I like the staff, just not the head coach.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I would like Teryn Austin or Todd Bowles or Gus or hell I'd like to pretend Mark Helfrich will leave his wife for a few days and I wouldn't be sad if noted Taker to the Next Leveller Jim Harbaugh came to Miami and poo poo Brian Kelly is a shitheel but he'd be a great coach but we will hire I dunno Mack Brown or something and I'll be mega bummed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Chichevache posted:

More evidence that Harbaugh was a flash in the pan who got by on the strength of a great DC and two generational QBs he lucked into (Smith and Luck).

This is a weird gimmick

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Brannock posted:

drat! Declan MacManus!!! Such insight in the mysteries of posting. I am blown away.

It's a gimmicky style of posting and it's very silly, no need to stunt on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Brannock posted:

Hmmmm, I don't think it's not a gimmick to point out when people are addicted to posting about other people's posting and how socially progressive it is. For instance, you. Go away.

I'm not really addicted to anything, I was just pointing out Chich's gimmick is weird but this kind of weird bitchiness is probably why I don't post in the NFL threads much anymore

• Locked thread