Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ozu posted:

Woody wont fire him midseason but we're staring down a 1-6 barrel so things aren't looking good for Rex's security.

Also La Canfora says that Greg Olson would be the interim for the Raiders and not Sparano.

It would be classic incompetent Woody to let Idzik hire another coach after the pathetic job he's done here in 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

I agree. If he has a roster with a decent QB, watch out.

That said, I don't think he survives past the bye if the Jets drop their next two and start 1-6.

If, after the abortion of a job he's done as GM, Idzik is allowed to make Rex walk the plank for the horrible roster he built there is pretty much no hope for the Jets. They have to go, together.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

swickles posted:

Rex isn't going to be a DC, he will get another HC gig pretty fast.

Anyone who thinks Rex Ryan is a great head coach hasn't seen Rex Ryan coach for 5+ years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

This. I know Idzick tried to play it off as "our plan is the draft, don't worry about free agency, we're all about the draft now." :rolleyes:

I dare anyone to read this article or similar ones like this without laughing, it's impossible

His plan was to have all pro's fall into his lap in the 3rd day of the draft like Seattle did. Except when he actually had to draft, his drafts have been a complete and utter travesty. He's drafted ONE good player in two drafts and the guys who are still on the roster, are not just not good, they are the worst in the NFL at their positions. The idea that he actually made 12 picks this past year without moving up in the draft at all and only TWO of them were active yesterday (4 aren't even Jets anymore) is so bad it's almost hard to believe.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Benne posted:

Maybe we should've seen this coming when the Jets hired a cap guy with no real personnel credentials to handle personnel decisions.

We need to pay Wilson soon, we'll take Idzik back to help fudge the cap numbers.

Some of us did.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Their defensive personnel are typically studly with their offense being pretty bad.

I think he'd make an amazing DC but I think if you have him as a coach you better have an established or at least competent GM

The DL is great. The LB's are mediocre and it's probably the worst secondary in the NFL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Its Miller Time posted:

I think it speaks to how incredible he is as a defensive genius that he's lasted this long. I hope this is one of those Andy Reid firings.

It's more about the incompetence of the orgnization. The Jets haven't had good defense since 2011 (shockingly they had a HOF Corner in his prime back then,) I wonder if that had anything to do with it....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

lol. I'm going to miss Rex when he's fired.

Rex setting it up so when they win a few meaningless games and go like 7-9 after starting out 1-6 they can say what a great job they did just like last year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

solauran posted:

Rex (and that defense) was one of the main reasons I picked the Jets when I started following football. Gonna have some sort of football existential crisis when he leaves :smith:

Why would anyone do that to themselves?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

davecrazy posted:

He took a dogshit 2-5 team to the playoffs. Gets zero credit for that turnaround.

That team wasn't dogshit. That was a much more talented team than the Rex back to back championship games team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I would say that it's at least a 75% chance that Rex is the coach of the Jets next year. Idzik pretty much acknowledged the dogshit talent level on the roster by trading for Harvin and the Jets schedule gets MUCH easier for the rest of the season. They will easily win 6-7 games, spin that as "oh look the 1-6 wasn't Rex's fault and we're improving!" and keep him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

NC-17 posted:

Keeping Rex may not be Idzik's decision to make.

It's probably a hill Idzik doesn't want to die on especially with his horrible drafting record and the general perception that he is much more to blame for the sorry record than Rex is in the media here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Brian Kelly isn't good enough (or at least hasn't done well enough yet) that he's going to jump head first into an NFL bid greater than the max Notre Dame would probably shell out.

Plus I think he's too much of an rear end in a top hat to work with NFL players.

There is no way he's a bigger rear end in a top hat than Bill Belichick or Jim Harbaugh. And he's a terrific coach.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 21, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Benne posted:

You have a point, but the road to hell is paved with college coaches who thought their hardass ways would work in the NFL (see: Schiano, Greg)

He's a MUCH better coach than Schiano was in college.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

rex has allowed 28 or 30 consecutive red zone opportunities to score.

He is not as good as he was with his Ravens transplant players and fat belly full of new blitz patterns.

he also is a giant idiot who should never be allowed to call plays.

Great D's force turnovers and score TD's. The Jets have the least turnovers forced in the last 3 years. I'm not sure they have one this month. Rex's rep as a "defensive genius" is a myth.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Vick starting against KC.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

^^^Vick and Geno should both be benched permanently, get Kerley some reps, seriously who gives a gently caress at this point

Also, whoever is in charge of the Jets media presence should be fired into the sun as well. Rex just walks out there every postgame, talking about how great practice was, how this team is really talented and "aww shucks, this game just got away from us." This team is loving horrible, and I'm sick of hearing from the Jets about how everything is under control and everything is great. It's laughably stupid and I think they are exhibiting sociopathic delusions at this point. Idzick couldn't go 5 minutes before he got in front of the media talking about the Harvey trade as a 'coup', the Jets just can't pat themselves on the back fast enough over menial achievements. It's really bonkers and is some of the most insulting, embarrassing media handling in sports, definitely in NY.

I have said in here multiple times that Rex and Idzik talk to the fanbase like they are utter morons and just blatantly spew laughable, intelligence-insulting bullshit but apparently the other Jet fans here don't mind it as much as I do...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

Every coach and GM does that.

It's called coach speak.

No, that isn't true. Everyone who watches sports knows coach speak, thats fine. This isn't coach speak. Like I said, it's stuff that is just blatant bullshit that anyone with eyes knows isn't true. What I'm beginning to believe is that they are delusional enough to believe the bullshit they try to sell us just like how they patted themselves on the back for their wonderful 8-8 season last year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

haljordan posted:

I like how Idzik claims the buck stops with him and all that other bullshit but you know there's no way in hell he'll quit after this garbage fire of a season. It's easy to claim you're the one responsible for everything until it requires you to take real action.

The only hope is that it gets so ugly that Woody has no choice but to fire Idzik along with Rex.

R.A. Dickey posted:

You really don't think Rex Ryan realizes his secondary loving sucks when he's being forced to start guys signed off the street and converted safeties? Or that his quarterback is dogshit? He's not stupid, but saying any of this to the media, especially to guys like Manish Mehta and Rich Cimini, is counterproductive and doesn't actually do anything, even if it it is 100% true.

I have no idea. I'm not going to put any level of delusion past Woody Johnson employees. They thought this was a playoff roster.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I don't see why people think Rex Ryan will take a DC job. There will be teams willing to give him a HC position and if not he will most likely take a year off a la Lovie Smith. It's not even a lock that he'll be fired yet.

There is no way a team will be able to sell him as a HC coming off getting fired cause his team went 3-13 after not having made the playoffs in 4 years. And thats before you even start to get to the shitshow that his teams are offensively and have been for years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

It can make sense if the players are no longer playing hard for the coach or there's a borderline mutiny but the guys on the Jets play hard. They like Rex. They just suck.

Plus who's the interim, one of the Rex disciples or Morninwheg?

Firing Idzik now actually makes sense since you'd be giving the new GM as much time as possible before the draft to clean house of the stooges who have been here for 15 years like Terry Bradway and assemble a competent staff. I agree that firing Rex now accomplishes nothing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

I will trade our 1st round pick for Harbaugh/Kaepernick.

I think I'd rather have Harbaugh/Winston... No way Harbaugh would ever work for the Idzik/Woody clown show though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alouicious posted:

i too would rather my team draft a rapist over a cool guy

Give me the alleged rapist if he can play over the cool guy who can't any day of the week. There are no "nice guy points" in the NFL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ehhh, making some big assumptions about Winston here.

Sure. Lots of time before the draft too. I just don't think Kaep will ever be a truly elite QB.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yes but how many of them made the playoffs? That's what I care about. Winning the SuperBowl is as much luck as talent. An elite QB gives you more chances to go on a streak and win it all by constantly getting you to the playoffs.

This. Winning the SB is luck. If you have an elite QB you can pretty much win 10+ games and be competitive for a decade. That's the point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's kinda funny how John Idzik's drafting gets worse over time, not better. The Jets don't have 1 draft pick starting on their terrific 2-8 team going into tonight's game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

Amaro should be starting over Cumberland though. So there's that I guess. :toot:

He pairs good catches with horrible drops at a pretty reliable pace.... The idea that they didn't get a WR out of this draft remains just mind boggling. I guess thats what happens when you have the 32nd out of 32 GM's.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pretty much this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Idzik went into one of the greatest receiver drafts in recent history with a need at receiver being one of their concerns and opted to draft nobody.

The sheer incompetence is mind boggling

It's even worse than that. He drafted 3 WR's who haven't played 1 snap this season. It's almost hard to believe how pathetic that is. Just the idea of holding all 12 draft picks and not moving up or down in the draft to get targeted players shows that he just has no idea what he's doing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

This seems to cover how much Idzick has bungled the draft fairly well.

It's not even just Idzick though, this team has been playing sloppy, disorganized, lazy football since week 1. The more time the Jets have to prepare, the WORSE they do. That isn't anything new to this season, it's been like for all of Rex's tenure. From memory, it felt like the Jets have gotten blown out once a season. It's a little worse than that actually. Losses by at least 21 points:

2009: 0
2010: 1
2011: 2
2012: 4
2013: 3
2014: 3

And there was more than a few games that were losses by 20 points exactly. gently caress.

The Jets have the been a putrid, unwatchable offensive team for 5 years under Rex and thats what that gets you. What's amazing is how easily they are able to fool themselves based on meaningless wins vs bad teams at the end of last season and vs Pit a few weeks ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Who cares. They are unwatchable either way. Just keep losing. The more interesting part of this is that this is probably Idzik's last power play over Rex hoping that if Geno plays well for a few games that Woody Johnson is a large enough idiot to get fooled again like he did last year into thinking that the team is in the right direction based on a few meaningless games...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Lets shatter the garbage QBs confidence even more is an excellant tactic. Let no fan speak "Geno needs weapons"

If I never read another person write or say the phrase "shatter a QB's confidence" that would make me very very happy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

So if Idzik is still GM, the overwhelming favorite to be head coach has to be Dan Quinn. Fits both his and Woody's MO, plus local guy who used to work for the team.

If not, maybe they'll shoot the moon and try to swing Harbaugh and a puppet GM. I don't see them dipping into the college ranks unfortunately. Is Joe Moglia a republican? Maybe Woody would hire him.

If Idzik is still the GM we are hosed no matter who the coach is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

R.A. Dickey posted:

For the uninitiated: actual thing that may matter

Next president of football ops: Chris Christie after his failed presidential run.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I was all in on Harbaugh as the Jets next coach but jeez their offense looks pretty much as bad at the Jets'...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

woody gave an on the record quote that he'd rather see mitt romney win than his own loving team. tear it all down gently caress everyone and everybody

1. defense doesn't matter when you are the worst offense in your division practically every year
2. jets defenses haven't actually played well for years.

In the NFL you mean.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

So on the slim chance Jim Harbaugh is the Jets next head coach, and with him comes one of his loyal assistants, Eric Mangini... has any ex-head coach worked in a lesser capacity for the team that fired him? That would be cool.

Woody Johnson still employs Terry Bradway so there apparently no level of incompetence he wouldn't welcome,back with open arms.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

Eh, we won the game and the team is much better this year overall.

I think he's been fine.

Don't be fooled by Dec wins against bad teams.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I wonder if Rex can figure out a way to ruin an offense with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones... He'll try to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

NC-17 posted:

Gotta establish the run... with 2015 Steven Jackson.

It's too simplistic to say that all Rex wants to do is "establish the run" because that implies that he actually has an offensive gameplan or philosophy of what he wants to do. He doesn't. He's just so completely disconnected from the offensive side of the ball that it's like he's talking about another team. His relationship to the offense is pretty much the same as mine as I'm sitting on my couch watching the games.

• Locked thread