Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, so I started up my computer, and nearly all of my desktop icons are gone, and all of the programs I keep pinned on the bottom are gone. But nothing's actually deleted. Except the history in my programs (recently opened, etc.), the ClearType is off. It's strange, and any changes I make to the empty desktop is gone when I start up again. I can access my original desktop by going to my user profile, then finding the "desktop" folder from there. It's strange and troublesome, especially when I have to manually find files I've been working on instead of just using "opened recently".

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Let's start simple. Right-click the Desktop, go to View, and make sure "Show Desktop Icons" is checked.

If that doesn't work, check to see if the files in your desktop folder have have been set to Hidden:

quote:

My desktop is not crowded with icons

Your desktop icons can sometimes become hidden by malware or other applications. Showing your hidden files and folders can resolve this issue.

Follow these steps to display hidden files and folders.
  1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
  2. Click the View tab, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.
  3. Look for the missing icons on your desktop, right-click the icon you want to display, and then click Properties.
  4. Next to Attributes, uncheck the Hidden box, and then click OK.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each icon you want to display.
    • Important Note: Windows keeps some files like important operating system files hidden by default. Un-hiding all files can lead to serious issues like data loss or corruption, if they are accidentally deleted. To reduce this possibility, follow the steps below to hide these files from view.
  6. Open Folder options by clicking the Start Button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
  7. Click the View tab, click Don't show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

• Locked thread