Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
19 jurors, all white, at an inner city courthouse. The video they showed talked about diversity in the jury pool.

lol

20 white people now. Someone showed up an hour and 20 minutes late. The smartest one here probably.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
convict whoever isn't white lol

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

OJ didnt do it

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Judge is black though

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Deadlock the jury for 3 days rambling about free citizens and nullification.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We dont have jurys here and i think its slightly crazy that you let random people be apart of the judicial process at all lol

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Zzulu posted:

We dont have jurys here and i think its slightly crazy that you let random people be apart of the judicial process at all lol

I prefer trial by combat in an unironic way

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Quickscope420dad posted:

I prefer trial by combat in an unironic way

Man to Hand combat has been accepted for thousands of years in every civilized country.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Arkanomen posted:

Man to Hand combat has been accepted for thousands of years in every civilized country.

I wouldn't mind a little man to hand action right now if you know what I mean

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Jew Macklemore posted:

I wouldn't mind a little man to hand action right now if you know what I mean

You gotta have a jury crystal or it doesn't count.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
If only it could be like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk1wNuHg1FA

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The trick is to claim you're prejudiced against all races :smug:

(Xposted from The Simpsons Quote Thread)

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Quickscope420dad posted:

Judge is black though

Just met judge. He is an older white man. He was wearing a fitbit.

One of the jurors keeps cracking jokes and is now listening to the Jackson 5 on his lovely iPhone headphones.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

>find them all guilty

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Demonachizer posted:

19 jurors, all white, at an inner city courthouse. The video they showed talked about diversity in the jury pool.

lol

20 white people now. Someone showed up an hour and 20 minutes late. The smartest one here probably.

loving concentrate you loving trologdyte, it's a civic duty!

I'm part of the jury system in :denmark: and it's so much cooler than the American one. 1) We actually WANT to be jurors 2) We get paid like $200 per day 3) Most cases aren't jury trials at all; they're chaired by two civilians and one judge (in city court), so you ACTUALLY have direct influence on the decisions 4) gently caress off

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I was arrested for marijuana possession years ago and the victim of a violent crime so I am pretty sure I won't be serving.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

brylcreem posted:

loving concentrate you loving trologdyte, it's a civic duty!

I'm part of the jury system in :denmark: and it's so much cooler than the American one. 1) We actually WANT to be jurors 2) We get paid like $200 per day 3) Most cases aren't jury trials at all; they're chaired by two civilians and one judge (in city court), so you ACTUALLY have direct influence on the decisions 4) gently caress off

I am just sitting in a room waiting not posting during a case.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
dont you have to register to vote to get selected for jury duty?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
the american court system is hosed and even if demonachizer were actually sitting in on a case it wouldnt matter because the american court system is hosed

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Demonachizer posted:

I am just sitting in a room waiting not posting during a case.

Maybe you will get lucky like I did, and the defendant is currently skipping town. Judge may give early dismissal.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
tell everyone you can about jury nullification

they'll throw you out so fast your head will spin

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

During the jury selection process I was in some genius, when the judge asked if anyone thought they were unfit to be a juror, said he was unfit because he loved prostitutes and "made use of their services weekly."

He was excused.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Pookum posted:

dont you have to register to vote to get selected for jury duty?

Used to be but now they get you from driver's license as well.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Drink Cheerwine posted:

they'll throw you out so fast your head will spin

I was considering talking about it. I really wish I had time to serve.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Are you a Juror #8 or Juror #3?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
At least you got picked, and don't have to spend an entire day sitting in a hard plastic chair watching incredibly lovely movies while waiting for your number to get called

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
How to get out of jury duty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddWC_aAK7hk

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They do.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
i must be "too white" to understand why the gently caress this is funny.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Frisky
Apr 2, 2012

What turtle?
how do you get selected for dis jury doody?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Frisky posted:

how do you get selected for dis jury doody?

If a black man is in trouble, they round up the nearest white people.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

i don't understand it.

:thejoke:

Ebola Roulette fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 22, 2014

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I thought I'd get out of jury duty by saying I hate cops and that I'm racist. Then I was in the courtroom and the defendant was a big black dude who was being tried for stabbing two people, one in the neck, with a beer bottle outside a strip club. Looking straight at me. I peed. I complied. Then the trial was delayed so I went home.

TLDR, ain't no ez way out.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

At least you got picked, and don't have to spend an entire day sitting in a hard plastic chair watching incredibly lovely movies while waiting for your number to get called

Nah I am still in the pool it is justa small number of people. No movies. Just people talking about their lovely jobs since that is how they define themselves.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Drink Cheerwine posted:

How often does jury nullification happen in the states and how batshit does the judge get when it happens?

In Ireland there was a fairly high profile white-collar fraud case where the judge literally directed the jury to give a not guilty verdict for one of the defendants(though the evidence was pretty poor tbf).

When the other two defendants were convicted the judge moaned about how they were led astray and then he gave them community service. I'd imagine if a jury ever pulled jury nullification here for a serious case we'd have non-jury trials for everything within a week.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 22, 2014

tada.wav
Dec 24, 2013

I liked jury duty at first, I spent a solid week lounging around instead of working. The second week I got a trial where most of the other jurors were all "ha ha I can't concentrate for that long I think I'll just say not guilty!" and I lost all faith in the jury system.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just tell them if you were to STOP masturbating the bomb will go off.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

School Nickname posted:

How often does jury nullification happen in the states and how batshit does the judge get when it happens?

In Ireland there was a fairly high profile white-collar fraud case where the judge literally directed the jury to give a not guilty verdict for one of the defendants(though the evidence was pretty poor tbf).

When the other two defendants were convicted the judge moaned about how they were led astray and then he gave them community service.

not often, and i guess it depends on the judge. if you mention it during voir dire, you will be rejected as a juror. they've tried prosecuting a couple of people handing out fliers about it outside of courthouses for jury tampering but i don't think those have really gone anywhere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification_in_the_United_States

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/nyregion/26jury.html

http://fija.org/

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I served jury duty for a day and a half on a case where both attorneys repeatedly promised us that we'd be out in no more than a day. The prosecuting attorney was still presenting her case at 3:30 PM the second day of the trial when we all suddenly got pushed into the jury room for half an hour or so.

The judge had a flight to catch and was apparently pretty pissed that the case was still going on. The defendant wound up pleading to two misdemeanors instead of the four felonies he was charged with. I think he got time served (the evidence was pretty lovely and I think he'd been awaiting trial for about six months?) or a suspended sentence so not a bad deal all things considered, but at least four of us on the jury were pretty set on the prosecution having presented a really lovely case.

Two white lawyers and a white judge slapped a young black man with two misdemeanors so a judge wouldn't miss his plane.

I'm pretty sure I'll never have to serve on a jury again after that.

e: But I did get to see a paper grocery bag filled with the remains of a cannabis plant so it was cool seeing more weed than I'll ever see again in my life I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
So I was seated to be a juror and as predicted, I was dismissed by one of the attorney's on their freebie dismissal. I hope that the spanish drunk driver dude was able to get a fair trial from the white lady who scoffed about the city we were in and how lovely and ghetto it is and the rest of the white bread suburbanites that ended up on the jury.

• Locked thread