Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

The plot of this pilot was terribly ridiculous, although admittedly I know far too much than any non-pilot should about airplanes and ATC (pilots land at airports without a tower all the time, they have a plane-to-plane UNICOM channel, and once it was obvious they couldn't get anyone, they'd head to their alternate airports before running out of fuel). It's sort of like all those episodes of TV that have a computer in them ("The IP is coming from inside the firewall!").

I may give it a second shot next week, because I like some of the stuff, but if all the plots are that dumb... no.
Does it matter that there were 56 planes circling overhead instead of just 1 or 2 planes trying to land? The same thing happened in Die Hard 2, where most planes were redirected but the ones about to start their descent were somehow stuck at that airport. I never quite understood why that would be.

Robnoxious posted:

I hope this show isn't always over the top like the pilot was. The whole plane thing was ridiculous. I guess it's fortunate airline builders waste money to add another 50 feet to all CAT5 cables for no other reason than to just do it because space on an airlines isn't limited at all, right?
It was an extra Cat5 cable, not the existing one that had 50' extra slack.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

It was an extra Cat5 cable, not the existing one that had 50' extra slack.
I guess I missed that in the jump cut.

It's still a bit out there.

"If in the event of cyber terrorism, your seat cushion will become a Cat5 cabling flotation device."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

I guess I missed that in the jump cut.

It's still a bit out there.

"If in the event of cyber terrorism, your seat cushion will become a Cat5 cabling flotation device."
I don't think anyone thinks networking a laptop to the computer of a low flying airplane by driving a Ferrari underneath it at 200 mph isn't out there, but it's the right mix of so ridiculous and actually kind of reasonable that it's awesome.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Robnoxious posted:

I hope this show isn't always over the top like the pilot was. The whole plane thing was ridiculous. I guess it's fortunate airline builders waste money to add another 50 feet to all CAT5 cables for no other reason than to just do it because space on an airlines isn't limited at all, right?

gently caress that. It's not like this show is ever going to be good, so the best possible scenario is for it to stay exactly this over the top.

Absolutely stupid episode of television but I really enjoyed it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Josh Lyman posted:

Does it matter that there were 56 planes circling overhead instead of just 1 or 2 planes trying to land? The same thing happened in Die Hard 2, where most planes were redirected but the ones about to start their descent were somehow stuck at that airport. I never quite understood why that would be.

It does not.

It's been a while since I've seen Die Hard 2, but I believe there was another factor for the planes being stuck. It's also likely that was just as wrong.

The thing is, pilots are not robots, and while they rely on a lot of automated systems for most normal operations, they are still pilots capable of landing an airplane the old fashioned way. They train for that, and it's saved plenty of lives in the past. There are also procedures for being out of communication, one of which is switching to unicom and talking to other planes.

Those big jets also have their own radar and traffic avoidance systems. And, once it's apparent there's no answer down below, they're going to divert to their alternate airport, which should be far enough away that it's under a different control frequency (I think 100nm minimum but I haven't looked it up recently).

Besides that, comms are just radios. You don't need a computer to control them, and you could pretty easily get those working manually (assuming they're tied to a computer at all, which I doubt).

Also, planes don't have the software that ATC uses, so the plane with it's spare 50' CAT-5 cable wouldn't have been much of a help anyway (and since they had them on the cellphone, why not land at LAX and then download the software?).

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
I don't disagree with the hivemind on the show at large, but one thing I hadn't seen mentioned that I thought was refreshing was the lack of a "bad guy". Rather than putting the already ridiculous situation under further scrutiny by adding superfluous machine gun meatbags, they just let the situation itself be the villian. I'm sure there will be terrorists and villians throughout the show, but it was nice to see a show that just let a bad situation be bad, rather than making it the :ducksiren:WORST POSSIBLE OUTCOME:ducksiren:.

Edit: I think the reason for the 56 planes circling LAX was the same as in Die Hard. They're too low in fuel to reach their alternate airports, which means they either land at LAX or explode. I'm not sure why this is hard to reconcile for so many of you. Fuel is not an unlimited resource, especially at the destination end of your flight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think anyone thinks networking a laptop to the computer of a low flying airplane by driving a Ferrari underneath it at 200 mph isn't out there, but it's the right mix of so ridiculous and actually kind of reasonable that it's awesome.

I think it's hilarious that in a situation where they networked a laptop to the computer of a low flying airplane by driving a Ferrari under it at 200 mph, the thing people find most unbelievable is the plane having an extra long ethernet cable lying around.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I kind of liked the male and female leads, so I will watch a few more episodes and hope the ridiculous action stuff was just for a flashy pilot.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

mcswizzle posted:

Edit: I think the reason for the 56 planes circling LAX was the same as in Die Hard. They're too low in fuel to reach their alternate airports, which means they either land at LAX or explode. I'm not sure why this is hard to reconcile for so many of you. Fuel is not an unlimited resource, especially at the destination end of your flight.

Because it never would have gotten to that point.

And even if it did, they could just land visually. The weather looked perfectly clear in LA.

klf11
Aug 17, 2014
despite how silly some of this was, i really enjoyed the 1st ep

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Because it never would have gotten to that point.

And even if it did, they could just land visually. The weather looked perfectly clear in LA.

Do you exclusively read non-fiction books? You have to allow a little creative license (whether or not it is, itself, creative) and with what was available I think they did perfectly fine. I think they took more liberty with the cat5 -> single button press download that instantly transmitted across LA wirelessly in realtime to LAX than they did with the fact that it's dangerous to be out of communication with the tower and almost out of fuel.

Yes, the pilots should have communicated with each other. Yes, it was a clear day and they could have landed the old fashioned way. But it's still more believable than the wifi transfer.

And: to whoever questioned the Die Hard reasoning - they were waiting for a blizzard in particular, because they set up that secondary control tower in the church and repositioned the GPS reading for the runway, causing pilots to think the ground was several hundred feet lower than it actually was. They weren't able to react properly due to the weather impairing their sight (which the bad guys were relying on). spoilered for people who haven't seen die hard? I guess?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mcswizzle posted:

And: to whoever questioned the Die Hard reasoning - they were waiting for a blizzard in particular, because they set up that secondary control tower in the church and repositioned the GPS reading for the runway, causing pilots to think the ground was several hundred feet lower than it actually was. They weren't able to react properly due to the weather impairing their sight (which the bad guys were relying on). spoilered for people who haven't seen die hard? I guess?
The bad guys adjusted the data for the ILS automated landing system.

Also, if we can spoiler Die Hard 2 and stop people from watching it, that is a good thing.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The bad guys adjusted the data for the ILS automated landing system.

Also, if we can spoiler Die Hard 2 and stop people from watching it, that is a good thing.

That's probably the right way of saying it. I'm a pedestrian (when compared to air travel) so I know < 0 about flight mechanics.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

mcswizzle posted:

Do you exclusively read non-fiction books? You have to allow a little creative license (whether or not it is, itself, creative) and with what was available I think they did perfectly fine. I think they took more liberty with the cat5 -> single button press download that instantly transmitted across LA wirelessly in realtime to LAX than they did with the fact that it's dangerous to be out of communication with the tower and almost out of fuel.

Yes, the pilots should have communicated with each other. Yes, it was a clear day and they could have landed the old fashioned way. But it's still more believable than the wifi transfer.

Fiction can still be accurate. There's creative license, and then there's just ignoring reality altogether.

I mean, why didn't O'brien just cast a spell and fix the problem with magic? It's just fiction.

E: I mean, they didn't just take "some liberties", it was absurd. Even my wife, who doesn't know anything at all about airplanes and ATC, thought it was dumb and was asking why they didn't just tell the pilot to land at LAX when they got him on the cell phone.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 25, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

E: I mean, they didn't just take "some liberties", it was absurd. Even my wife, who doesn't know anything at all about airplanes and ATC, thought it was dumb and was asking why they didn't just tell the pilot to land at LAX when they got him on the cell phone.
Isn't there a legitimate concern with descending a plane and landing it when there are 55 others you could run into? I mean, it's easy to say they could just talk to each other and avoid colliding, but isn't it easier said than done? And even if they landed that one plane, they still need its software and can't get to LAX.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know this is stupid of me, but the moment I saw the logo, the name and the snippit of the car racing down the runway, I was secretly hoping "Just Cause-The Series".

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm a sucker for shows that have geniuses in it. Enjoyed the pilot fairly well. Have to agree that I didn't feel any tension in the episode. I knew they would not fail.
Will continue to watch to see how it develops.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm a sucker for shows that have geniuses in it. Enjoyed the pilot fairly well. Have to agree that I didn't feel any tension in the episode. I knew they would not fail.
Will continue to watch to see how it develops.

The problem with a show about geniuses is bad writers rather then showing them as geniuses requires other characters to constantly ask stupid questions so the geniuses can vomit exposition that shows how smart they are. For example, the scene with Walter calling the engineer girl about that car is bad, but the scene with super head doc grabbing the photo on the desk and profiling the boss instantly to find the right spot for the Airplane server backup was atrocious.

That, and human calculator/autistic/chess grandmaster guy getting beat in 8 moves by the 8 year old was one of the clunkiest "your child is special" things I've ever seen on TV.

I'll give the show leeway for the pilot. The show felt the need to established just how super genius all the cast was, and find a way to convincingly introduce Katherine McPHee to their group as the one who reminds to to act "human" rather then set up decision trees when trying to dump a girl.

The ethernet cable to the airplane was hilariously stupid, but fun to watch, and I'd like the show to continue to make absolutely impossible situations like that where the super smart people have to resolve the problem with crazy stunts and risky physical maneuvers. Maybe have engineer girl have to build increasingly elaborate contraptions MacGyver style and super head doc gets into peoples heads to make them agree to help, and human calculator stands in the background freaking out and shouting out failure statistics and frantically scrawling equations on random surfaces.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

mcswizzle posted:

If we're being realistic about this then the planes would've all had enough fuel to divert to San Diego. Circling overhead for hours consumes far more fuel than diverting to an airport only a hundred and odd miles away.

I had no problem suspending my disbelief though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They would rather die than land in San Diego.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

There are 4 operating airports within 90 miles or less of LAX that all have runways capable of landing large airbuses (Burbank, Long Beach, John Wayne Terminal in Orange County and Ontario International Airport).

Also dotted about are two decommissioned military airstrips with runways still intact (Los Alimitos near Long Beach and El Toro Airfield near Irvine).

Just outside of that there's the relatively little used Palmdale International where Lockheed-Martin once resided and out in the Mojave Desert there is Edwards Air Force Base which has a huge dry lake bed capable of landing planes and Space Shuttles.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

There are 4 operating airports within 90 miles or less of LAX that all have runways capable of landing large airbuses (Burbank, Long Beach, John Wayne Terminal in Orange County and Ontario International Airport).

Also dotted about are two decommissioned military airstrips with runways still intact (Los Alimitos near Long Beach and El Toro Airfield near Irvine).

Just outside of that there's the relatively little used Palmdale International where Lockheed-Martin once resided and out in the Mojave Desert there is Edwards Air Force Base which has a huge dry lake bed capable of landing planes and Space Shuttles.
They said Burbank and Long Beach were also down. :colbert:

But I guess if "already descended into landing pattern" worked for Die Hard 2...

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

But I guess if "already descended into landing pattern" worked for Die Hard 2...
"Welp, that loving bird killed our thrust and we have no power to make it back to LaGuardia. The computer won't let us glide land onto the Hudson River because it's not a runway. I guess we're hosed. Tell the passengers to call their loved ones or their priests to perform last rites. I'm gonna go snag some scotch from the drink cart and throw it back before the sweet sweet release of death envelopes my soul because I am only a man incapable of being an airline pilot without assistance of Intel inside." ~ Capt. Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger (US Airways Flight 1549) Deceased.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't there a legitimate concern with descending a plane and landing it when there are 55 others you could run into? I mean, it's easy to say they could just talk to each other and avoid colliding, but isn't it easier said than done? And even if they landed that one plane, they still need its software and can't get to LAX.

They have radar on those planes and traffic avoidance systems.

And my point was they could have landed that plane at LAX, then downloaded the software (that they wouldn't have but let's go with it) instead of speeding across the tarmac in a Ferrari (obviously, though, I'd pick the Ferrari option every time).

Anyway, I'll probably watch the next episode to see if this was just a pilot problem (no pun intended), but I'm not all that hopeful.

E: Hell, send up an AWACS and control from that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's the plane version of trigger discipline?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bump for tonight's episode.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That was not a good follow-up episode. If the next episode isn't good, I'm abandoning ship.

Ugh, "I'm not going to let you die"? M.S. doesn't kill people you morons!

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 30, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

THF13 posted:

I kind of liked the male and female leads, so I will watch a few more episodes and hope the ridiculous action stuff was just for a flashy pilot.

Hopefully the show does have more fun ridiculous action stuff because otherwise it's just a dull show with dumb logic and bad nerd stereotype characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Show starts with the stale cliché of “genius schoolchild corrects teacher, is punished for it” and just gets worse. So genius 10 year old autistic/genius boy hacked a digital thermometer and his mother is too stupid to notice that the default temperature setting is several degrees lower then it should be. We also get each white guy make an attempt at comedy by referencing “rap” lines while getting their paychecks.

Oh, and of course Walter has a tragic backstory with a sick sister that now gets referenced as he and his team are called in to treat a deathly ill girl who’s the governor’s daughter. Thankfully Paige is on hand to shut up Walter’s insensitive comments. For the kicker, Walter’s sister being sick is “the problem he couldn’t solve” that haunts him to this day.

Apparently someone created a custom human virus via “bio-hacking” to infect said girl, and also created a custom computer virus to infect her computer. Oh, and the perpetrator created 5 total custom viruses to infect people.

This show would be great if they abandoned any pretense of being a “serious drama” and went full bat poo poo crazy but they keep trying to sell the human drama so hard, with the team trying to figure out the source of the computer virus as Walter gets more and more frustrated he then smashes a coffee cup so we know THIS IS SERIOUS DRAMA! Later they head to catch the guy who sent the email, and Walter hurls the guy to the ground to demonstrate JUST HOW SERIOUS HE IS! Then later he says "If I had another coffee cup in my hands I'd smash it". Then we get a tense scene of DRAMA where when the crook tries to spray the lethal aerosol virus into the governor's face, we see the aerosol floating in the air as computer guy shouts out time until the spray reaches the governor, and Walter runs up, uses an aerosol can and lighter to set off the sprinklers, giving us a shot of the slowly moving aerosol being "defeated" by rain. Then ends various dramatic scenes, Toby has returned to gambling (his crippling addiction), and Walter goes to meet his M.S ridden sister and promises to cure her.

This show has insanely high ratings, so like BBT it'll probably stick around as people tune in to watch super geniuses be quirky and also solve crime.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not that I disagree with your main point, but the computer viruses weren't sent by the bad guy.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Irish guy is dark skinned and doesn't even have an accent. The Asian lady is totally loving incomprehensible because she doesn't loving enunciate probably because she can't move her loving mouth. Plus her voice is annoying.

I'm not going to watch anything other than that lovely pilot, but the lead dude is annoying me and if they don't kill off this retarded casting decision of an actress, then this show won't last beyond a season.

Also the psychiatrist dude is loving annoying and if he has to explain what he's loving thinking all the time in excruciating fifteen sentence detail the scriptwriters are bonkers.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 30, 2014

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Also the psychiatrist dude is loving annoying and if he has to explain what he's loving thinking all the time in excruciating fifteen sentence detail the scriptwriters are bonkers.

I agree with all your other points, but not this one. That's actually a fairly realistic portrayal of an intellectual who motormouths when he's nervous, or when he senses an opportunity to show off how much smarter he is (even if only in his own mind) than whoever he's speaking to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

The Irish guy is dark skinned and doesn't even have an accent. The Asian lady is totally loving incomprehensible because she doesn't loving enunciate probably because she can't move her loving mouth. Plus her voice is annoying.

I'm not going to watch anything other than that lovely pilot, but the lead dude is annoying me and if they don't kill off this retarded casting decision of an actress, then this show won't last beyond a season.

Of all the things wrong with the show, the casting for the genius engineer girl is at the top. She cannot loving speak normally, and every time she talks it just sounds like there's something wrong with her. How the hell did she pass through the auditions for the part and the casting director heard her talk and went "Yeah, that's fine"?

And holy poo poo, in her demo reel she can't even do a convincing Chinese accent.

http://www.imdb.com/video/demo_reel/vi1577494297

It's like they were ticking off casting options for the show, went "Well, we need a non-white person who's a super genius, can't be Indian because its too close to BBT...Got it! Asian female!"

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

pentyne posted:

Of all the things wrong with the show, the casting for the genius engineer girl is at the top. She cannot loving speak normally, and every time she talks it just sounds like there's something wrong with her. How the hell did she pass through the auditions for the part and the casting director heard her talk and went "Yeah, that's fine"?
female!"

Yeah she sounds worse than the worst most exaggerated nerd stereotype. The whole cast is embarrassing in their nerdiness actually. And the whole genius son who only the nerds understand is awful "oh look he hates schoooool!" yeah thanks genius. Terrible show, probably even worse than NCIS: whatever.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah she sounds worse than the worst most exaggerated nerd stereotype. The whole cast is embarrassing in their nerdiness actually. And the whole genius son who only the nerds understand is awful "oh look he hates schoooool!" yeah thanks genius. Terrible show, probably even worse than NCIS: whatever.

It was worse because it was set right after the scene in the old Irish school where Walter was about to get beat by his teacher for pointing out that all numbers are divisible by 4 with remainders. And the snippy little "He hates school. We all did, especially those with math proficiency"

I knew some really really smart people in school, and they would generally fall into 2 categories, naturally smart and really good at math but lazy and got lovely grades, or naturally smart and hardworking and got all A's. Even then none of them would have been pedantic assholes and openly challenge teachers ever chance they got.

This show is flat out conflating autism and genius into the category of "genius" like there's no difference. Given how poorly people understand autism this just reaks of lazy writing that you'd expect from a 1980s sitcom where Tommy has trouble with school and keeps getting into trouble.

For example, Walter is clearly some version of autistic, so is the kid, and especially the human calculator that Walter loses him temper and yells at him whenever he's angry, literally one episode after vaguely threatening the diner owner to not yell at the kid for the same reason. It just relies on lazy stereotypes but since this is a serious drama it's not laughed off or comedic in its tone its genuinely harmful. Human Calculator, same guy who lost his money in episode one, gets a paycheck and gives it all to an catholic school. That is not reasonable or rational, and he should not in fact be allowed to manage his money without a guardian to sign off on it if that's what he does, but for the show it's a touching, uplifting moment.

poo poo, the more I talk about this show and remember this details the angrier I get. Mental health and autism in general in the US is a huge deal that many people don't understand and outdated stereotypes like "he's a genius/autistic" being trotted out on prime time TV show in 2014 will only hurt understanding. Obviously this show isn't going to change minds about any of it, but I would've thought by now even lazy TV writers could make a cast of troubled geniuses without immediately pulling out the Rain Man stereotype.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

pentyne posted:

For example, Walter is clearly some version of autistic, so is the kid, and especially the human calculator that Walter loses him temper and yells at him whenever he's angry, literally one episode after vaguely threatening the diner owner to not yell at the kid for the same reason.

Well you have to have a reason for the waitress to exist "Don't yell at him Walter" says the people expert, who also comes up with such gems as saying "sorry your daughter is sick" to the sick girl's father. She's clearly earning her pay.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
He said when he gets money he gets rid of it because it gives him anxiety or some poo poo. The reason the waitress is their is so they can induct the son into the cult of "One of us, one of us!." Like in the movie freaks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fallorn posted:

He said when he gets money he gets rid of it because it gives him anxiety or some poo poo. The reason the waitress is their is so they can induct the son into the cult of "One of us, one of us!." Like in the movie freaks.

Yeah, someone with a problem like that should not be given their paychecks directly. It's not a touching emotional moment with a person is immediately giving away their earnings because it makes them uncomfortable, it's a mentally damaged person who needs a financial guardian.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So I did a bit of digging (well, really, I visited wikipedia) because I really liked the premise of the show (Numb3rs but with a team of smart people that do not only use math) but the show comes of really wrong, as if it has a hidden agenda. Well, it turns out that the real Walter O'Brien, who also works as executive producer on this show, seems to be full of poo poo. There are several claims of his that have been proven wrong (https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ty-genius.shtml has a good writeup).

He himself described his role with the show like this

Walter O'Brien posted:

I'm the executive producer, I provide the base stories to the writers and then review and help with the technical aspects of the scripts. I also help the actors understand and pronounce the tech dialog better. And I mitigate any risks that could impact the show.

This explains it all for me. Of course he wants himself to be the super human, that is haunted by his tragic past because he feels so deeply for not only his own family but for humanity as a whole, but overcomes it to rescue millions of lives and get the pretty waitress. I would also argue that's why they cast an actor for the show who is dreamy and attractive, because thats how he imagines himself.

Oh and the kicker, on his companies website he has his EB1-1 visa documents as proof that he is on the same level as Einstein and Winston Churchill with regards to his importance to the US while in reality about 5000 people are granted an EB1-1 visa each year.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The idea that the world's "4th smartest man" came up with these plots and is the technical adviser for this show is just hilarious. And yeah after some quick googling it is really clear that the guy playing Walter was not selected for his resemblance to the real guy.

• Locked thread