Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zion posted:

I don't hate this show until I realize this is literally some chubby nerd's fanfic about himself. Up until then, it's just cheesy and outlandish.

I spent most of tonight's episode thinking this. I mean really, coming up with some dumb reason for national networks to hack in and get LIVE FEED so they could ooh and ahh about HEROIC WALTER O'BRIEN on national television

DID I MENTION THIS IS WALTER O'BRIEN THE HERO

OMG WALTER O'BRIEN IS BRAVELY DOING A THING

NOW THE IDOL OF MILLIONS

WALTER O'BRIEN, FOLKS

I BET YOU'RE SORRY YOU WOULDN'T GO OUT WITH HIM NOW, CYNTHIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pentyne posted:

the real Walter claims to be asexual because his intellect is so dominant he doesn't have any space for emotions like love in his brain.

Given his weird fetish for women (who are of course generally good soft emotional creatures that are bad at math) serving as mind-reading, handholding, attractive mommy figures for emotionally stunted manchildren who are too "intelligent" and "superior" to communicate in anything other than grunting, abrasiveness, and math equations, I somehow doubt this even if his reasoning weren't stupid. Didn't the show even start going down that road with government man and his ex-wife? "Haha I too have to translate for this rear end in a top hat man, haha, that's just how it is don't you know, because we're women." I don't know, I'm starting to just block out all episodes except whatever I've most recently watched, but I'm pretty sure that happened.

Have we discovered Walter's reddit AMA yet? Because I stumbled across it the other night and it's quite a thing. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h5c7p/i_am_walter_obrien_the_inspiration_behind_the_cbs/

For highlights just click Walter's name so you can skip to the threads he actually responded to. Some of my favorites:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h5c7p/i_am_walter_obrien_the_inspiration_behind_the_cbs/ckpij2g?context=3
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h5c7p/i_am_walter_obrien_the_inspiration_behind_the_cbs/ckpi6mi?context=3

I can't find it now but somewhere in this mess there was also a rambling comment about how his "fourth highest IQ ever recorded" can't be proven now because oh well you see he was nine and his teacher didn't keep the paperwork and :downswords: also he determined it was the fourth highest IQ ever recorded by doing a math equation instead of actually looking at the highest IQs ever recorded or something.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Robnoxious posted:

So, of course they are going to wedge a love and feelings B-plot into the series to come back and revisit periodically. It must be proven that women eat this poo poo up because just about every series in existence does it in some shape or form.

You're blaming this on women when this entire show is literally a sad middle-aged nerd/pathological liar writing idealized fanfiction about himself while claiming it's all totally real in real life you guys? :raise:

AA is for Quitters posted:

Not something i'm likely to continue to tune into, but i was expecting complete crap after hearing about it, and was surprised to find it on par with NCIS/CSI Wherever.

Basically what you're missing that makes it much worse than NCIS is knowing anything about the hilariously bizarre life and personality of the actual Walter, which casts an otherwise dumb-but-fun show in a whole new light. A sad, creepy new light. It'd be like if Gibbs' character had been named Mark Harmon instead, and Harmon-the-actor went around all the time telling people about how he really is an ultra cool marine sniper everyone's intimidated by because he's too COOL for RULES, oh the reason you can't find any military record of him at all is because it was all super top secret because of the time he saved the president from a simultaneous attack by dinosaurs and aliens, but he definitely did that while tons of (totally real) hot women longed to cure his tragic (but manly) loneliness that's caused by being too full of awesomeness and having no room left in his entire body for this emotion you call love.

NCIS is dumb-but-fun, but it was intentionally created to be dumb-but-fun and is not claiming to be anything else.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

uublog posted:

e: ^^^ lol are you saying that the idea well isn't already dried up? How many different ways can you write "Walter is the smartest and greatest person ever to exist, all women want him, all men want to be him"?

Don't forget "the only reason Walter can't function in social situations is because he's so superior that he needs a hot 'high EQ and reasonable IQ' woman to 'babysit' him in communicating with the lesser lifeforms."

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Robnoxious posted:

Is there anything else I've forgotten to say?
You two have this amazing pinpointed perception into how I think.

Who's talking about what you think? At this point we're just making fun of the writing of the show itself and the creepy-rear end things real!Walter has said about his totally real adventures.

EDIT: Also, to go back to actually being on topic, I just watched the latest episode and it was pretty much the worst thing I've ever seen. "LOVE ISN'T REAL, HAHA TOUCHING PEOPLE, AM I RIGHT" /awkwardly fondles her kid's skull while staring at her blankly, she is immediately won over

This is the effect real!Walter the pudgy fifty year old con man thinks he's having on women when he rambles about being too intelligent to feel love in real life.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 20, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Robnoxious posted:

I thought you and uublog were busting my balls as if I'm some Walter sympathizer.

Those were general you, as in the writers/show. ex: "The idea well is already dry because there are only so many ways you can write 'Walter is the smartest and greatest person'" etc. :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I "like" how they're just going to gloss over the fact that a small child broke out of school, presumably hitchhiked all the way to the site of a terrorist attack, and waltzed into a giant furnace connected to a building full of sarin gas because of this team of jackasses. It takes all of one episode for Walter to throw a giant baby tantrum and drive himself off a cliff for attention and now everyone's come back to give him everything he wants in life and tell him how bad they feel and they'll never leave him, hooray. Paige was indeed completely unreasonable for wanting to remove her young child from a situation that almost resulted in his horrible, horrible death. Good thing she learned her lesson and came back and acknowledged that she wants Walter's dick after all! :suicide:

• Locked thread