Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Are You Using the Computer You Want or the Computer You Have?

Life is short; if you aren't using the computer you want and are instead using the computer you have, go get the computer you want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
:firstpost:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

until we get computer brain implants, then i am merely using the computer i have

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what if i am using the computer i want but it is not the computer i have? would theft be justified in this case?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i bought a retina mbp and my computing life is p good right now

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Coworker got a new T440 thinkpad. You can push down the touchpad as a left click. :wth:

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
The w540 has a 2880x1620 res option and the price isn't that bad. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w540/#tab-customize
I don't need it though; w530 still suits my needs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I still haven't figured out how to reliably finger-scroll on my work thinkpad, I just bring my mouse to meetings :smith:

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

qirex posted:

I still haven't figured out how to reliably finger-scroll on my work thinkpad, I just bring my mouse to meetings :smith:

You start on the side and then spin in a circle on the pad. It's pretty dumb.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Peanut and the Gang posted:

You start on the side and then spin in a circle on the pad. It's pretty dumb.

:psypop:

going to keep using my mouse I guess

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Also PgUp/PgDn is right next to the arrow keys, for quick and EZ access.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Also PgUp/PgDn is right next to the arrow keys, for quick and EZ access.

well I have to show images which frequently require horizontal and vertical scrolling in increments of less than a page and zoom in/out and stuff so this just confirms my assumption that everyone who loves thinkpads is a code jockey who uses vim all day and would be equally happy at a vt100 as long as the kb had bucking springs

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

qirex posted:

well I have to show images which frequently require horizontal and vertical scrolling in increments of less than a page and zoom in/out and stuff so this just confirms my assumption that everyone who loves thinkpads is a code jockey who uses vim all day and would be equally happy at a vt100 as long as the kb had bucking springs

When you assume, you make an rear end out of you and me.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i use a t60 that i bought for $60, it's good

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
this laptop is over 5 years old now

has an older i5, needs an ssd and some more memory but otherwise works as intended, wontfix

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

syscall girl posted:

this laptop is over 5 years old now

has an older i5, needs an ssd and some more memory but otherwise works as intended, wontfix

but it is the computer you want? Is there a computer that you list over?

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i was using the computer i want, op. i really was. however my graphics card has died and now i am not.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

gnrk posted:

but it is the computer you want? Is there a computer that you list over?

i spend all my money on jlist.jp and lust over hot anime babes

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm using the computer I want, but I need a new monitor, keyboard and prolly cpu sometime soon. Oh and another hard drive. drat, my compy sucks rear end.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

drat, my compy sucks rear end.

dude compies have been extinct for 210 million years

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
the computer i want, op, a 27" imac, several airbooks, iphone and ipad

that is what i want so got and use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i built a computer and a file server both as a project and they are both exactly what i want because i chose the individual parts, thanks for asking!

• Locked thread