Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ralepozozaxe posted:

To the Middle East

But also add the USA who is constantly trying to change the other team's owners.

This, please. If not the Middle East in the late 70's, then some sort of Soviet/Soviet allies league in the 60's.

Signed up on the player list, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Free Market financials.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Actually, the one thing OOTP doesn't do that Baseball Mogul has down a bit better is financing/building new baseball parks.

It's not that OOTP doesn't have parks and dimensions, it's just that if we ever wanted to move the team, we just edit the team's information with a new city, and just edit the park, and instantly it changes.

Which reminds me, if anyone has any preferences for park dimensions or characteristics, feel free to post it. I.e: Retractable dome, astroturf, pitcher-friendly, hitter friendly, etc.

It's pretty obvious that free market is everyone's desire, so I'll get the ball rolling on the next step when I have time later tonight.

Pitcher friendly. That's all.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

:siren: Do not ignore fielding range.:siren:

I strongly recommend drafting Bala Tavukcu. He is listed as a 2b but he can play shortstop if we don't have better options later. That's good range for a SS, the arm is a little meh and he might make a few errors more than we'd like but I think he'll make up for it with his range. See my note below about positional ratings. In most leagues, Tavukcu has the kind of ratings that will make him a top OBP guy with a great batting average and a whole lot of extra base hits. Depending on the quality of catcher defense in the league, he could also be among the league leaders in stolen bases.

I understand the comment about Tankut Yamak and it's a good point but, if we can piece together a good defense and offense, we can get by with an average pitching staff.

Catcher, Abdul Bin-Ya'Qub - this guy's going to strike out a lot. He has a decent eye but not the best contact rating. I don't think he'll be as valuable as Tavukcu. I could be wrong.

Here's my rundown of how I view ratings. This isn't intended to be any sort of correction to what was posted earlier but I figured more good (I hope it's good) information is never a bad thing:

Batting ratings:
1. Contact - has the highest correlation to .wOBA/OBP. Contact rating has a hidden BABIP competent that you can't see unless you open the player editor panel but it's what separates good hitters from great hitters and the contact rating usually reflects this
2. Eye - This is directly related to the amount of walks the player will take. A player with an extremely high Eye rating can make up for a below average contact rating by taking a lot of walks.
3. Power - Dingers. In a vacuum, a player with a high power rating but poor ratings elsewhere will still hit home runs but isn't as valuable as a high OBP guy.
4. a.Fielding range - this is the single most important competent in determining how many balls a player gets to. I prefer shortstops/center fielders with 75 or more range (on the 1-100 scale) since they will really help hold down the opposing teams' BABIP. You can create a team that ends up #1 in runs allowed by murdering BABIP with great fielders while forgoing great pitching (but great defenders might not be able to hit so well...)
4. b. Fielding arm - You usually want players with 50 or higher in arm to play the left side of the infield
4. c. Fielding errors - errors are bad but the first two ratings really determine where a player plays. If you have a player with an extremely high score in errors, they can actually make up for poor range but it practically needs to be in the 90's or higher in my experience to make up for the range
4. d. Turn DP - If a player has a very low rating here, they cannot play in the middle of the infield effectively
5. Avoid K's - if a player has an extremely low rating here, their strikeouts will start to drag down their offense but it's all relative to their other hitting ratings.
6. Gap - This only determines what percentage of the player's non-HR hits go for extra bases. This has virtually no impact on the players ability to reach base. [Side note: In OOTP's park factors, the 1B/2B/3B ratings are dependant on each other. If you have a low 2B/3B factor, it won't affect the batting average of players in the park, it will merely limit the amount of hits that go for extra base hits and vice versa.]

Pitching:
You either want to look at Stuff->Movement->Control or Control->Movement->Stuff and the way these work together. Low movement pitchers (especially starters) will get hammered for home runs in hitter friendly parks.

Things to ignore:
1. The position OOTP thinks the player should play - OOTP puts too much value on the player's rating at a position. It takes experience with OOTP to figure this out but a player gains points at a position as they play it so (hypothetically) you really want to start that 80 range left fielder with decent avoid errors rating and a little experience in center field in center field instead of the 60 range center fielder with a perfect rating at center field. The 80 range guy will probably be the better option in the long run and he'll learn the position over time. Players who have no skill in the outfield can't play outfield and vice versa with infield and catcher but positional rating is over-rated as long as they have some skill at the position and the peripheral skills to play the position in my opinion.
2. To some extent, look beyond overall rating and potential - OOTP overvalues things like speed in hitters and stamina in pitchers. Overall score is great for looking at the different tiers of players but a 45 rating player may be a lot better than a 55 player. You need to look at how the individual ratings work together. In the leagues I've been in, Contact rating actually correlated better to .wOBA/OBP and WAR than Overall rating. That could be the way OOTP calculates wOBA and WAR or something I'm doing wrong but overall rating is not a great guide other than separating players into different tiers.
3. Catcher arm - I mean a terrible rating here leads to poor RTO% but guys with really high ratings often end up throwing out about the same number of runners as guys with worse ratings for some reason.

These are my preferences based on playing OOTP for years (and in a lot more online leagues than I'd like to admit to) but I know other people's strategies vary.

TL/DR: You just want to look at how ratings work together to define a player and look at the stats players put up over time and how those relate to ratings for yourself rather than accepting what OOTP thinks you should do with a player. Since we're just doing one season here (I think?) some of these things are less relevant but I thought I'd just share this for newer players.

If you want to see how this all comes together, you can check out this league: http://www.redraftleague.com/game/lgreports3/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html which uses a 1-100 scale for player ratings.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 29, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ForeverBWFC posted:

We're building a Turkish legacy here, people...

Fixed that for you...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheMcD posted:

The SP is probably the second best choice out there, and it's a fairly close thing. If Eckersley turns out to be right and we end up with poo poo for our ace pitcher by the time the second pick rolls around, then we might have some problems, and I see no real reason why he should turn out to be wrong, given that he's got experience and I don't.

Neither is a bad choice. The case against the SP is that he's already 26 so the 24 year old has more time ahead of him.

One thing that we aren't really discussing that Stalinator brought up is that our scouting director isn't very good. All of the ratings could be off slightly :negative: so I'd also advise making the scouting director mysteriously disappear firing that scouting director as soon as a better one is available.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheMcD posted:

I thought the idea with the scouting director was "well, he's poo poo, but we can't get a new one before the draft is over, so we'll deal with that later".

That's all I meant. I don't think good staff members come around very often when you first start a league, either.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I would like to see the stats for that 25 year old shortstop before voting, considering an elite shortstop is about a billion times more valuable than an elite 2B. I would recommend anyone who already voted but is still paying attention consider changing their vote as well if he turns out to be a good hitter.

Oof. I didn't even see that. I'd like to see that, too. I assume Stalinator saw something he didn't like but it's probably best to check him out.

Ghostwoods posted:

My first inclination is to vote for the pitcher -- because I'm British, know nothing about baseball, and am aware that a top-notch bowler is an absolutely vital weapon in a cricket match. But the people who seem to know what they're talking about clearly favour the 2B chap. So 2B it is.

In most cases a starting pitcher only pitches once every 5 games which is why players in the field are considered more valuable (sometimes in OOTP you can get away with a 4 man pitching rotation but it's not realistic). Pitchers are also more prone to injuries that will take them out for a whole season (like an elbow or shoulder injury) or more which is why batters are also usually considered less risky. There are no absolutes (one of the MVPs in Major League Baseball this year will probably be a pitcher for the Dodgers), this is just a bias most baseball fans have for these and other reasons.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 29, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Do they have distinguishable splits vs. LHP or RHP? You don't have to post them, I'm just curious since Bala Tuvakcu is a switch-hitter.

We're talking about over 15 points in contact difference and over 20 points in both Eye and Avoid K's which is why I'm still for Tuvakcu. Avoid K's is almost the least valuable thing but Tuvakcu is also an elite gap power guy so he's going to have a lot of extra base hits to make up for the lack of homers. I'm not worried about the arm so much since it's not that big of a deal. Sure there will be a few extra infield hits but he also has the superior range and initial rating at shortstop.

Also, he's a Turk and I demand immersion :lol:

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 29, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Just my preference but I do not think the years of control on Farooq outweigh how good Zakkariya is. Better pitchers than Farooq will come along soon enough. Since he's 22, you could have pitchers in the very next draft just as good as him and around his age. It's going to be very difficult to replace Zakkariya, though.

Zakkariya and Azeem

Also, nothing personal Stalinator, this thread could die and/or I don't want to wait months to win.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 30, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Youssef Bin Azeem
Teferra Moyenda - Switch hitting catcher who can take walks and hit dingers? So he's a poor man's Carlos Santana?

I like Najib but he would need to learn a new position because he would be like a poor man's Derek Jeter in the field. I feel like Eisa is not good enough at any one thing to make him nearly as valuable as other players available. I'd take Jibril or Kahiga before him since they look like decent catchers, that 1B looks like a great hitter (albeit at a lovely position) and then I'd go with Khiga (not to be confused with Kahiga) or Uthman.

Azeem has a short lifespan but I'm thinking we can use him in the first season, trade him and then try to acquire a replacement.

The only prospect you posted I have any interest in is Imad Bin Asif. That Japanese pitcher is already 24 so he'll need to develop fast to be of any use. I honestly can never predict when an old prospect is too old to fill into his ratings. The guys I give up on and dump always turn out ok.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 30, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yasser and switch-hitting Turkish catcher Al-Surhawardi

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

After we pick a few more times, I'd be ok with you making a couple executive decisions to fill out positions before turning the draft over to auto-draft. We'll have plenty of time to make a couple trades before spring training, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Yessir. There'll be a bunch of informative posts showing our budget and stuff too, so you'll have lots of time to make roster moves and whatnot.

About setting up a reports website - what you have to do is convert the league to an online league (in which you're the only human GM) so that the reports can be exported via ftp to a website (OOTP actually spits out all of the pages and everything for you which is super cool but also not the easiest thing to setup). I don't know if you can continue to do things like shop players and whatnot once it's in online league mode. You can probably look around on the OOTP forums for more information.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Khiga (cf) and Qays(1b)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I had a problem with OOTP 15 inaugural drafts doing weird things, too. One time I loaded my saved game to find the draft reset back to round one with the initial drafting order back in place (rather than my adjusted order) but all the players who had been drafted stayed drafted.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Would it be possible for you to sort the starting pitchers by movement and control and look for one of the better ones in terms of stamina? I was hoping maybe we could find a #4 starter who could just keep the ball in the park.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wonder what Sariyah "Shepard" Talal's stuff is as a starter. With those ratings, there's a chance might be good enough to be a starter since he has over 30 stamina but, at the least, he's could be an awesome reliever.

Ozen Sarcoglu - I like Halim but we already have one defensive liability in the outfield and Sarcoglu balances both sides of his game well. He probably isn't fast enough to add a lot of value as a base-stealer but should get a few extra bases that way.
Sariyah "Shepard" Talal

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Yeah, honestly, between the three guys I posted above, Najeeb would make the better starter if only because he has 3 pitches to choose from. It's sort of the bare minimum to keep batters on their toes. Najeeb's big flaw and why he's rated so low is that his awful stamina will make it hard for him to make 5 innings per start.

I think I'm going to change my pitching pick to Najeeb. He's the better pitcher.

I'm going to guess that Brahim Akinshiju would be worth keeping an eye on for much later.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 2, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Yeah, he might be a good fifth starter if you want to follow your movement/stamina strategy (which I think is a good one).

When all else fails, I feel like movement/control is the way to go over stuff/control. At least you can predict what the guy with high movement and control will do.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Asir Abdul-Halim, "LF"/1B
Muwaffaq Muhanned, MR

I think our defense is adequate at this point and we could use another power hitter. What is 1B good for if not for that aging TTO hitter who will only be good for a couple more seasons (and then we can pick up another one)?

It looks like a lot of candidates Stalinator is bringing up are being drafted soon after we pass over them, so I guess that's a good thing? As in: if our reports are wrong so are other teams?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is Brahim Akinshiju still available? I strongly recommend picking him as our last starter if so rather than leaving it to the fates.

1. Lefty starter
2. Grounders
3. Grounders

Also voting Tawfiq with this pick.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

On thing about the lineup:

Clink has a lot better better contact vs. RHP than Cash Considerations. You may want to keep an eye on their stats as we work our way into the season (June 1 or so) and see if changes need to be made.

Here are lots of :words: on the statistically optimized lineup vs. traditional lineups if anyone is interested but it's pretty hard to predict who's going to do what at this point (after our clear best 3 hitters, anyway) so I think we're fine for now: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Never bunt and always run.

I'd like to see this in spring training just to see who can run. Stalinator can go into individual players and adjust their run strategies for the season if some of them look like they can steal without loving up (Cam Stephenson, for example).

Slipped on some wet "off-the-field" grass at practice. Totally makes sense.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 6, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Akili.

Just give him whatever to sign since there won't be any prospects left for us after him. Problem solved. None of the other players are projected to be any good at their position vs guys we've already seen but he could actually be OK as a starter.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Voting this

TheMcD posted:

Akili, SP - yes
Ka'im, C - no
Vargas, SS - no

Watanabe, RF - yes
Harada, SP - yes

If we just need filler for the minors, there should eventually be plenty of free agents who will accept minor league deals as the league grows.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Less stealing

The players on the team stealing a lot of bases are also not stealing at an efficient rate so they should be stealing less, not more.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It's pretty awesome that 2 young players are doing so well already. This team has a chance to be a juggernaught for a long time if we can find a replacement for Fink once he starts to lose steam. Also, Tresher is almost holding his own at the plate. That means his glove might also be good for his position if he already has 4.6 WAR accumulated.

Would it be possible to show the leader boards by position after the season so we can see where our guys ended up?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sometimes bad players signed to bad contracts get career ending injuries (and you can release them without penalty) and that's about the best news you can get with an injury.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Our poo poo doesn't work in the playoffs, I guess.

Could you post the final stats for the team again when you get a chance? We should probably start to think about making some trades.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Make the following choices:

1. Should we hire Firas as new manager, and demote our current manager to bench coach? Yes
2. Who should we hire as scouting director, Ridwan - I feel like Ridwan being exceptional in a couple areas more than makes up for him being average in 2 areas. Also, I like favor ability over favor tools.

3. Should we adopt the DH rule in the Sunni League? Yes

I like DH leagues because it allows you to load up on good defenders and then add a veteran (or someone else) on the cheap who isn't so good at defending but can rake.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

John "Whiteboy" Black, LF/1B, Age 39, 66/71. Demand: 1 year/$500,000

Rob "The Freak" MacGregor, CL, Age 28, 79/79. Demand: 3 years/$330,000

Prince Kelly, RF, Age 30, 46/45. Demand: 1 year/$320,000

Abdul Rashid-Husain, MR, Age 39, 60/60. Demand: 1 year/$190,000

I think everyone else is replaceable.

If you're advocating for keeping MacGregor and dropping Kelly, you're really advocating for keeping the less valuable player from last season. I don't know how good OOTP is actually at getting advanced stats correctly but Kelly was worth twice what MacGregor was worth by WAR and he's asking for less money. I mean pitcher WAR is bullshit but usually it's bullshit on the high side. We have enough to keep both and will have a decent amount of money left over.

Even if we don't want Kelly on the team next season, I think we should extend him and then shop him around for trades.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 3, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Alright, it looks like everyone is sort of coalescing around a couple ideas, mostly pitching, so I'm going to just put it to a straight vote and do whatever the most chosen option is.

Here are your options:

1. Target Kashkeli
2. Target Al-Din
3. Target Sinan
4. None of the above (save money for a cheaper FA or none at all)

In all these cases, I will do what i can to negotiate them down, especially in years. Also, none of these are mutually exclusive, as we could try signing Sinan as well as Al-Din, but it would be harder.

I'll see if I can't hurry this up so we can get the new goons into the team.

Also, Tadashi I think asked about trades earlier. What did you have in mind? Do you want me to shop anyone around?

I'd say go for Al-Din since he's almost as good and age means his long contract hopefully won't catch up to us. Prospects will likely come along soon who will be better than him and Kashkeli so I hate giving out a lot of money to guys without eye-popping numbers early in a league.

Also, I'm up for pursing Sinan.

Don't forget to look for any young players (under 24) who can be signed in minor league deals. You never know when the RNG gods will smile on you and a guy will make a huge developmental leap.

Is there any way at all to form a shortstop platoon with a couple cheap players and/or somebody already on the team?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Alright, new players are added to the game and the second post! Instead of actually updating I got distracted and made little award patch things for all of your players, so feel free to go to page one and check them out.

I'll finish the yearly awards later, but wanna actually play some drat baseball!

Ah, poo poo. I hadn't checked the thread in a while. If that guy is still open, I'll take him. Otherwise, good luck to the new players.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Garza and Bashsar for the draft.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Neopie posted:

At least Robin Williams is doing well.

I was pleasantly surprised to return to the thread to discover this. What's up with new players at the moment? If I start following the thread again, can I get somebody into the draft pool?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

CPU pickoffs in OOTP are loving bullshit. Sometimes, you can even see them coming. They'll throw over like 6 times and then finally get the guy on the 7th. I've never picked a guy off in any game I've managed in OOTP. I hate stupid cheating sports games. And we know they all cheat.

Just curious - Why does Tresher bat 6th when he looks like had the better season (barring sample size, OBP, huge ratings differences, etc) than Cash Considerations?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Soviets posted:

Go for Ya'cub with Katsuyushi Kodo as a backup.

There's no time for patience! Do it now!

Seconding this. Kodo looks like a fantastic backup if he can be signed without giving up too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thanks for the history lesson. Who says Let's Play threads can't be productive?

• Locked thread