Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So this does have online multi, yes?

Is it actually any fun?

Yeah it's pretty fun. There's a button for quick join so you just instantly get slotted into an open lobby. Gauntlet is meant for co-op with buddies, though, so you can strangle people that shoot the food.

quote:

Is it actually Gauntlet or just a Lector like psychopath that killed Gauntlet and is wearing its skin to trick us?

It's a pretty good modernization of a game that's nearly thirty years old, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Since it's new enough and people are jumping in, I have 2 cheap keys from a GMG 4-pack for trade:
1 key for A Wizard’s Lizard ($9.89) trade with nftyw complete!
1 key for Hangeki ($9.99) trade with Drunk Tomato complete!

See you cool cats in the gauntlet!

Anarch fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 25, 2014

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Enjoying the hell out of the game! I've been leveling up the warrior, he seems pretty hearty. Good time for some basic hack and slash.

The only problem I have found with the game, and it may be a color thing or it could just be my old man eyes...I tend to loose my little warrior dude in the chaos pretty easily. I'll be slashing away, all of a sudden I lose track of myself and then I pop out on the other side somewhere. Annoying, but nothing too major.

Also learned you can make your dudes pose in the character screen with the right stick!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I don't know about this 'new' Gauntlet, if the title screen don't look like this, keep walkin'.

:colbert:

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Anyone wanna go into a 4pack with me on the game seller guy that is linked?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Here's my lovely wizard drawing.

(He's cross-eyed cause he keeps zapping food. :ssh: )

I did it wrestling with a new computer drawing setup I have, and several program corruptions, haha.

I want to do one of these for each of the classes later. And maybe a better one with Merlin when I get done wrestling with this drat tablet.

Edit: He's based off this.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 25, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don't know about this 'new' Gauntlet, if the title screen don't look like this, keep walkin'.

:colbert:

Dude, they even kept the exact same font for the name. Seriously, compare:

The official twitter account has been pimping a lot of streams from people who religiously played the original arcade game and every one I've watched can do nothing but gush about it because it's so lovingly recreated, down to poo poo like the font, the opening song, even the freaking sound effects of picking up a key.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Kyrosiris posted:

The official twitter account has been pimping a lot of streams from people who religiously played the original arcade game and every one I've watched can do nothing but gush about it because it's so lovingly recreated, down to poo poo like the font, the opening song, even the freaking sound effects of picking up a key.

Yes! It took me a bit, but the sound effects for picking up food is there too!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
You can turn on Classic Mode in the options if you want to hurt your eyes.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Kyrosiris posted:

Lightning/Lightning: Storm Barrier. Emits a barrier around the Wizard that no enemy can cross. Projectiles can still pass through and hit anyone inside, as can large cleaves (such as Skeleton Warriors). Has a very long cooldown, but is reduced by Masteries.

Got a correction on this: the Storm Barrier absolutely blocks projectiles of nearly all sorts. The only thing I know that it doesn't block is the Lich's ice beam. I suspect it wouldn't block area affects like that one attack from the first boss or the fireballs in the third set of areas, but I haven't tested it yet. However, it definitely blocks attacks from the regular ranged minions.

I've also figured out why the meters at the end of the level don't rise properly sometimes; the meter is based on the current world highscore for the number of people you're running on that level, and, well, most of those are hacked.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I've only played this solo so far but it's been nothing but a blast!

I'm laughing at how the game is kind of a dick to you i.e. as a melee character they spawn some spellcasters/archers right next to key-walls(? long doors? whatever you call them), or put baskets with gold inside right next to food on a table.

Can't wait to check out some couch co-op this weekend.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Got a correction on this: the Storm Barrier absolutely blocks projectiles of nearly all sorts. The only thing I know that it doesn't block is the Lich's ice beam. I suspect it wouldn't block area affects like that one attack from the first boss or the fireballs in the third set of areas, but I haven't tested it yet. However, it definitely blocks attacks from the regular ranged minions.

Does it? Huh, I could've sworn I've been hit by the flaming arrows of those skeleton assholes.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Problem with the OP. You quoted the post about joining a group but the link is literal and links to http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Sp...tscn=1411564426 you need to cut and paste the expanded link.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Kyrosiris posted:

I somehow missed that (don't have the game YET) but I'mma be honest, that makes me smile. I wasted so many hours on the NES game. :3:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I somehow missed that (don't have the game YET) but I'mma be honest, that makes me smile. I wasted so many hours on the NES game. :3:

So did I. :3::hf::3: My dad would get me out of bed once my mom had fallen asleep and we'd play together and he'd shoot food that I needed if I pissed him off. :unsmith: This game seriously is like a 2014 coat of paint over all those good memories.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've only played a little solo so far, and got killed on the first Death level because I couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do after the three-key door. :(

Tezzeract posted:

Get Medieval was the poo poo back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Medieval

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that game when I did the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBn1TKlx0uA

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

armoredgorilla posted:

You can turn on Classic Mode in the options if you want to hurt your eyes.

Ever want to try gaming with cataracts? Now you can!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Seeing this thread has brought back memories of playing Gauntlet Legends on the N64 as a kid with my brother and cousins. So many fights over food and gold. :allears:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Grabbed this, gonna check out what changed in singleplayer a bit. Hopefully it won't be like Borderlands or MMOs where after you stop playing for a bit you come back and either get forced to do newbie dungeons to the chagrin of the bets, and/or murdered in one hit when you go into deeper dungeons with people further in.

e: Ahh, this takes me back. Only played with the Elf so far, but he certainly plays a solid stick and move kinda game, classic Gauntlet style.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 25, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So does anyone know of a good place to farm Lich kills? I want to finish up the lich killing achievement for some playfire credit but the most I've seen is maybe two in a level and it seems tedious as hell to just reload a level 25 times for that achievement.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This poo poo is pretty nice for a modern remix.

Although I kinda wished it was like gauntlet legends... that was tite.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember playing this on my Atari 130XE

IT TOOK HALF A FUKKIN HOUR TO LOAD

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wow I really don't like the sorcerers in the fire levels. They have an attack that's completely unavoidable, and it does a huge amount of damage, and the only way to stop it is to kill them before they finish the attack. Which is great when they're surrounded by spawners and a million mobs. I died three times in about a minute in the first arena level because they'd do the attack immediately when I revived myself.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

Anyone wanna go into a 4pack with me on the game seller guy that is linked?

I will if you're still interested

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MadBishop/

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The final boss is really, really hard. :(

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
This game has a few things I like and a few things I don't like, but it's pretty cheap if you've got buddies splitting 4-pack cost with you, and fun despite its flaws.

Also I've heard some people swear to high heaven that it's a buggy unplayable mess but I haven't had any real trouble with it so. :shrug:

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
So I just beat the Crypt of the Sun King IV... and didn't unlock a new area. What am I doing wrong?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's not buggy at all, really. :confused:

This game is like the definition of troll-fest. Partied with a warrior that ate or shot all of the food and potions, triggered every enemy he could at once, and then kited them on to me whenever possible. And I tried to get through two acts with him too. :argh:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Be sure to use the arrow keys for emotes, so you can let loose a cheer every time someone shoots the food! I imagine for controllers it's probably the d-pad.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Geight posted:

Be sure to use the arrow keys for emotes, so you can let loose a cheer every time someone shoots the food! I imagine for controllers it's probably the d-pad.

That is correct. The emotes own bones.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Poopinstein posted:

Also learned you can make your dudes pose in the character screen with the right stick!

"These fuckers always shoot the food."

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Honestly when it comes to food-shooting I'm probably inadvertently the worst about it because holy gently caress does Chain Lightning love to make a beeline for food when jumping. :v:

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Novasol posted:

"These fuckers always shoot the food."
Legend has it that yellow wizard has been starving for over 29 years. It could be said that wizard needs food badly.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly when it comes to food-shooting I'm probably inadvertently the worst about it because holy gently caress does Chain Lightning love to make a beeline for food when jumping. :v:

I'm half convinced that chain lightning, and the fire bolt, aim for food and potions whenever possible.

But I've been playing solo, so that's okay by me since I can level the Mastery for shooting the food when I'm already at full health.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Official dev twitter just announced a patch that just went out, and teased a feature that I imagine 99%+ of people will be glad for in the one after this one:

quote:

Hi everybody!

Thank you for your feedback on Gauntlet so far! We have listened and worked hard on a patch which will go live now. Please find the patch notes below. In addition to these changes we are hard at work on additional fixes that will go live soon including the ability to remap key bindings. More on this soon!

- The Game will launch in English when Steam library is set to English.
- Merlin’s shield will no longer occasionally Crash the game when attacked by Demon Horrors
- Heroes will now be able to use projectiles over jumping pad gaps.
- Player will now respawn appropriately while near Treasure Island in Temple of Dur.
- Game will now recognize internet connection even if Title is launched while offline.
- Alien FX will behave correctly when Playing Gauntlet on Alienware PC’s
- Player is now able to Highlight Message of the Day with Gamepad Controller.
- The description of the masteries in the "Next Level" column will show prerequisites for all Mastery Levels.
- Masteries Tally Screen no longer shows progression of ‘Locked’ Masteries
- The Sniper Shot indicator behaves correctly when aiming towards the Beast of Orox.
- Resolved some typos in the Credits
- The Warrior can now correctly destroy all Food on Tables in Caverns of Mag’Ash and Burning Temple of Dur
- The Perk Descriptions match required amounts needed in All Languages.
- The description of "Matamomias" Perk lists is correct in Latin American Spanish.

(bold mine)

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I'm half convinced that chain lightning, and the fire bolt, aim for food and potions whenever possible.

But I've been playing solo, so that's okay by me since I can level the Mastery for shooting the food when I'm already at full health.

How is it solo?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BexGu posted:

How is it solo?

The game is perfectly fine and fun solo, but like Arrowhead's last game Magicka, it's meant for co-op and only really shines that way.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I'd say pretty darn good, but I never played the original Gauntlet, so I don't have a reference point. That said, I've done the entire thing on Normal solo, and am going through again on Hard, and have had fun the whole time.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Who would have thought? When a game tells you it's best played using a gamepad, use the loving gamepad.

Yeah, my initial gripe was probably due to playing with a mouse+keyboard. Using a gamepad, I just ran circles around Death until it disappeared, and as someone mentioned earlier, I manned up, found the dodge roll/sprint button and all was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Important note: Do not try to dodge through Death. Not even with Flame Serpents.

• Locked thread