Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just got this game and loving it a lot.

a question: there is one particular orc when I set him as a target and go to the area where he's supposed to be, he's nowhere around. I've searched every inch of the district he's in with the ghost vision thing on but he's just not there. is this a bug or is there some reason why an orc would be completely absent in the area that is marked out on the map?

If it matters it's a dude I already killed once before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Section Z posted:

While I need to get back and finish this some time... Is there a mission icon over his head on the big screen of orcs? Orcs linked to a lot of missions get hidden away in the phantom zone and you can only find them inside the mission, in my experience.

"Okay, time to get around to killing this fucker... Oh, he's snuggled safely inside a hunt mission."

No he's not tied to a mission. he was some random scrub orc that killed me when I was just starting and got promoted to captain. Then I killed him but he showed up again and is supposedly plotting revenge so I targetted him but he's just not visibly anywhere. I tried advancing time as well but it didn't help. I don't have branding yet so I'll try that when I get it. Plenty of other orcs in the meantime!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

So I've put a few hours into this game and it has given me the best captain: KaKa the Dumb. I let Kaka kill me so he could level up. Now he's a bodyguard to a warchief I have to kill. I will try to spare Kaka, because he has a glorious name.

my game has Kaka the Hacker. he's not a computer hacker he just coughs a lot whenever he shows up and his personality seems to be based on Keith Richards

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm just gonna say it. You're kind of a scrub if you use throwing daggers. They are basically godmode.

This whole game is basically godmode though

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

orcane posted:

That's the one issue I have with the game, how you're thrown into the sandbox without explanations of core concepts, which are all taught in missions. It's not a big deal if you replay the game or don't mind learning things the hard way, but I can see how people get confused and feel lost when their first hour(s) in the game are all about dying to systems they haven't even learned about yet. Without knowing the options that could make their lives easier.

IMO this is not a problem, and in fact it is is exactly the way open world games should always be. If you want to be walked through how to do everything, you have the option to do missions which will do exactly that. If you want to just be thrown into the world, simply don't do those missions. I find this game's approach very refreshing compared to the forced tutorials before you get to the actual game like in AC games.

Plus I mean really you can just go stand in a group of orks and mash buttons randomly and you'll still kill most of them just fine.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deakul posted:

drat, I must suck poo poo since I've died plenty of times.

You are supposed to die. You are playing a dead person. That doesn't mean you suck. Dying is a vital part of growing your orks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

precision posted:

This game is so weirdly open world, almost to the point of being a turn off, it's just like "welp, here you go, you're surrounded by assholes who want to kill you and there's uhhhh some plot, kind of... you're a dead guy I guess?"

It takes some getting used to. Such a big map, so few quest markers, what do I do? :ohdear:

Kill orcs? I mean its pretty straightforward. Kill orcs.

I kind of like while that it's an open world its also very stripped down, there are not really any NPC's with silly banter and dumb fetch quests, no friendly town to bumble around in or local lords to have lengthy dialogue trees with. Its pretty much just you and the orcs with a few other monsters.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 17, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

What exactly does Bright Lord add? I can't seem to find a straightforward description, just the story trailer.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

precision posted:

8 gigs is like 1/4 the size of the game on PS4 so I would hope/expect the DLC is basically a whole new area and a good bit of playtime otherwise what the gently caress dudes

yeah how large was Hunt? at 8 gigs I would hope this is a bit more substantial than two new animals and a dwarf

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kind of obnoxious to make people download 8 gigs of poo poo without really saying what it is and that we cant access without paying extra.

What ever happened to "hey we're going to release a DLC in 3 months here is the content it contains" and then if people think they will enjoy that content they can choose to pay and then download it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Sounds like no new environments though, so i guess it's time to retread the same old regions once more.

Yeah that is kind of surprising given the size of the download, seemed like a lot for what looks like a handful of new abilities and some new enemies. I mean sure they sound like very fun new abilities but still

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

anyone itt a fan of Just Cause 2? The 3rd one is supposed to come out late this year, and if there's any game that could benefit from Nemesis it would be that. In JC2 there were all these colonels scattered around that you were supposed to assassinate, each of them with a team of bodyguards. If that game world had a system where those colonels had personalities, strengths and weaknesses, could be promoted, could come after you etc. it would be perfect

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

precision posted:

Just Cause 3 with the Nemesis system would be amazing.

Immune to: Rocket Launchers

Weaknesses: afraid of helicopters
Strengths: enraged by boats

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

I WANT SPEARS!!! Imagine doing sick vaults and trips with a big rear end spear and running multiple people through. Goddamn, my dream LotR game would be a Rider of Rohan with a spear just tearing it up.

Shadows of Mordor meets Mount and Blade. I would get addicted to that poo poo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

strengths: engraged by gauls

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Bup posted:

I'm curious to see if No Man's Sky will pull off the feeling of genuine exploration, or if it'll just be infinite varieties of nothing.

imo Elite Dangeros does a pretty good job of this, exploration is a fun goal in and of itself not for the point of "collecting" anything at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BillBear posted:

If they actually do SOM 2 instead, which the ending does leave room for, I hope they make it much more different since it'll get pretty old just lurking around Mordor all the time using orcs again.

SOM 2 be the inverse, you are some sort of nazgul type thing or maybe just a super badass orc. you start off in the Shire chopping up hobbits and graduate to murdering elves in their forest kingdom and then eventually taking down waves of humans in the streets of Minas Tirith, singlehandedly delivering the realm of Gondor to your dark Lord.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

captain innocuous posted:

One of the cool parts of the system is that when you kill an orc, they drag it back to the dark pits and is reborn with more metal bits. It would be hard to do that in a non supernatural way. Not saying it's impossible, but you dying and the orcs dying and everyone coming back for more is a pretty strange idea for a lot of settings. It works great here, maybe in some sci fi android body part replacing things, or aliens... Or okay it's a really great system why hasn't the nemesis system been in everything.

It doesn't have to be limited to scifi/fantasy stuff at all, because the system doesn't need to revolve around actual death/rebirth. You could make, say, an open world racing game like a Forza Horizon type of thing where you can damage someone else's car to the point where they have to stop and get it towed off to some town, later on they come back at you with their poo poo fixed up and a grudge against you. Or do the same thing with injuries and rivalries over the course of a season in a soccer or football game. lots of possibilities.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 26, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sassassin posted:

The suggestion is that you wage war directly against The Man and not slaughter/enslave the proletariat.

well thats what the Fellowship did, especially Sam and Frodo themselves. there are already a lot of games about them

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Endorph posted:

i think their criticism is more 'it's a game where the enemy race is inherently evil and must be purged by a lone avenger' than 'oh no, those poor orcs'

and as the end of the article says there's that bit in one of tolkien's 1700 appendixes where it goes 'Do not resort to torture, even with an orc, and if they ask for your mercy grant them it'

yeah Talion is not a clear cut "good guy", but again if you want to play a Middle Earth game about someone nobly fighting directly against Sauron while also being a nice person and caring about those around them and all that, you can play one of the many video games that have already been made about Frodo Baggins and co

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Squeegy posted:

I think that a game that was more like the cartoons where Batman actually cared about the villains and tried to help people while also stopping crime instead of being grimdark and gritty would be neat, but that's crushed under the reality of AAA game development

I'm really not a fan of any incarnation of the modern "grimdark" Batman whether in video games or film but I would loving love an open world combat game based on the 60's Batman tv show.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Coolguye posted:

even more to the point, i doubt he cared that much. the dude conceived his books as a way to escape the unrelenting horror of his every day life (remember, he fought as a grunt in WW1) and was hugely adamant that there was no irl symbolism in his books (like people who equated orcs/orcish society to the 'dehumanizing march of technology', or how ideas about how sauron represented the kaiser and orcs were germans, etc). matter of fact the second point is one of the very few that never, ever changed at any point in his lifetime. LotR got and gets analyzed relentlessly as high literature and social commentary, but tolkien never meant them to be. they're just big, rich fantasy stories and what you see at surface level is more or less exactly what he intended.

I know he repeatedly and specifically said that the books were not an allegory for either WW1 or WW2, but I haven't seen anything where he said there was absolutely no symbolism or social commentary of any sort whatsoever.

for example I think people take an environmentalist theme from parts of the series and its entirely reasonable to do so because Saruman literally industrializes the Shire and causes a lot of ruin in doing so, and the backstory behind the creation of Orcs and the destruction of forests also ties into this. it's not a "symbol" of the march of technology so much as a direct negative portrayal of industrial processes and their consequences on the natural environment.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 3, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Orv posted:

After JC3 and Mad Max I'm fairly convinced JC2 was a fluke and Avalanche is actually bad at making fun video games.

Mad Max was a fun video game (I don't care about the ending) and was made by the same team as JC2.

JC3 was made by different people - IMO it does have plenty of fun moments though it's not nearly as good as 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I got the hang of it. I was having trouble getting my bearings on exactly what kind of game it is but then I found I could climb up walls, do air assassinations, stealth kills and realized it's just Assassin's Creed in Middle-Earth. Same HUD and everything.

not really, you are kind of missing a major element of the game. AC has nothing at all like the nemesis system which I think for most is a huge part of the appeal.

the random guards/soldiers and whatnot that you fight in AC games have no personality at all, nor do the nameless crowds of people you are constantly pushing yourself through in the various cities, and nothing that you do has any lasting impact on any of them. the only meaningful interactions between the player and any other characters are entirely scripted, and mostly take place in cut scenes.

the crowds of orcs you are dealing with in Mordor are not like that, you will get to know them and they will get to know you, and their personalities will come to be defined based on what you do when you fight them, how you kill them, how they kill you, etc. and this also has an effect on their career and standing among other orcs. and most of that is completely freeform and fluid, not restricted to scripted story scenes.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 29, 2016

• Locked thread