Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

http://fightthedragon.com/

Introduction
Fight the Dragon is a dungeon crawler in the vein of the Diablo series. Whereas Diablo randomly generates each map of the dungeon, Fight the Dragon takes a different approach. In Fight the Dragon the players create the maps, which are then put into a random pool of levels, or accessible through a search feature called the "gallery".

I'm making this thread because, despite its flaws, I like the game quite a bit, and I'd like to see a bigger community for it. Here's five reasons why you should try out Fight the Dragon:

• It's on sale right now for $8.99 USD. It's a daily deal, which ends within about 15 hours of me writing this. I paid the full price, and feel like I've easily gotten my money's worth, because...
  • It comes with a very full featured Adventure Creation Kit (called the ACK). After about an hour's learning curve I've been able to make adventures that I'm really happy with, and that I feel are fun to play through. The game is getting steady updates, and just yesterday the devs added the ability to trigger events from switches, monster deaths, and standing in specified areas on the map. This increasing depth leads to...
  • Very fun hack n' slash gameplay, when maps are done correctly. You collect loot, assign stat points, and use a variety of skills to smash things to gibs. It's not reinventing the wheel, but it is entertaining. Combat seems simple at first, but becomes more complicated thanks to...
  • A live action combat system controlled by WASD (or a controller) instead of point and click (like with Diablo). Maps are also rendered in blocky 3D, meaning designers can use use depth to create varied and interesting terrain, and your character will automatically jump between gaps and onto ledges. Things sometimes get a bit buggy, but...
  • The devs are providing steady updates, and are responsive in the forums.

In-Depth on Combat
You move your character using WASD. There's controller support, but I don't have direct experience with that. You have a regular attack, which you execute by pointing in the direction you want to attack and pressing left-mouse. You also have a heavy attack, which does something a bit more fancy (depending on the weapon). That's on your right mouse. You can dodge with CTRL, which makes you invulnerable and moves you quickly in one direction. You can run with shift. Both of those take up a resource called stamina which regenerates quickly. You also have class-specific mana based abilities. You gain mana through attacking, or all at once through potions. You start with a basic skill for the class, and get others at 5, 10 and 15.

Potions drop from specific chests, and come in both life and mana varieties. In addition to restoring health through potions (sort of an 'oh poo poo' button) you also gain health at checkpoints, which designers scatter throughout the level.

Loot drops from both monsters and from chests. Right now designers don't have any control over loot (other than putting chests in the level), but I tend to find at least one upgrade per adventure, and the upgrades tend to have pretty cool attributes on them (for example freezing enemies that land a hit on you).

The goal of all levels, so far, is to get to an end-point, represented by a giant glowing obelisk. After completing the level you take out any loot or gold you collected, which can be traded in at the loot shrine for high-end rewards (like legendary items, and permanent stat increases).

Dragon scrolls, earned by completing levels, give you a chance to do what the title suggests. The dragon is a large, hitpoint sponge enemy that's fairly difficult. His hitpoints are permanent, and at different levels he'll give powerful rewards called dragon rings, which either provide timed buffs for characters, or can be sold for a lot of money at the loot shrine.

I've played a lot of hack-n-slash games, and I'm surprised at how well this game scratches the itch of finding items and upgrading your character.

In-Depth on the ACK
Rather than typing out a lengthy explanation, I'll post a video from the devs, which gives a good idea of the basics of the ACK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAnbYyuae4

That video is from a few versions ago, and more stuff has been added since then.

As a caveat, the first few maps sort of turned me off. But, sticking with it, I've found when a designer knows what they're doing then the game is very fun. Combat also gets much more fun once you get a hang of the controls, and around level 5, when your first new skill unlocks.

So I have to rely on Steam users for content?
Probably the weakest part of the game so far. The maps I've played have been 6 bad for every 4 good. BUT, with more players comes a better community and more content. Here are a few that I've really liked...
  • Abu Simbel: classic dungeon crawling in an undead infested crypt. Very appealing terrain design, and fun encounters.
  • Desert Heat: Probably the best user created map I've played. An awesomely rendered desert themed town, with challenging and varied encounters, and a lot of secrets.
  • Erebus Rising: The best of the developer created maps.

I'm hoping that if people here enjoy the game, then we might even be able to share maps. Like I said, this game is just waiting for good community support to get to the next level. Plus more people playing will make it less likely that the devs abandon it in early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This went on sale today so I am considering it. Anyone else have any impressions?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Wondering that too, might be down to join a 4-pack if there's enough interest.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Bought this not too long ago, but haven't put much time in. Its pretty fun. The combat is passable but won't win any awards. The main thing to get this for is exploring user created maps, which I think I have played only one and it wasn't too bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's a free to play game with a similar concept called Mighty Quest for Epic Loot, except it's completely devoid of fun because in typical ARPG fashion there's no challenge. You can spend hours tweaking your base to be as hard as possible but it will never take much skill for other players to navigate it flawlessly.

I'm mostly interested in the design-a-dungeon aspect of this game. Does it do anything to shake that formula up? Is it possible to make a challenging dungeon in this game that might actually defeat someone who attempted it?

e: It looks like the ACK in this is much more robust than the dungeon development in the other game. I picked it up and I'll give it a try.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 26, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I was turned off from learning that you can only use developer-provided assets, no adding new actors or visuals except for the heads and skins of player characters. I hope they add that soon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I was watching the trailer, and it looked like fighting is just really slow. Was that just poor choices for showing off big, flashy skills, or is it all like that? I'm talking things like attack speed, movement speed (of both player and enemy), and how often you use special abilities.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Countblanc posted:

I was watching the trailer, and it looked like fighting is just really slow. Was that just poor choices for showing off big, flashy skills, or is it all like that? I'm talking things like attack speed, movement speed (of both player and enemy), and how often you use special abilities.

I've only played two maps so far and I haven't unlocked my second skill yet, it does feel pretty slow and methodical but I feel like it could work out for the better, instead of a fast-paced arcade game with billions of exploding lights all over the screen you can have a few more threatening enemies with attacks you actually need to dodge out of the way of.

I don't think it's fair to compare this game to Diablo, it feels like more of an ARPG in the sense that Zelda is an ARPG.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It honestly looks like it plays like the Lego games, which while not terrible is not that exciting either. The real part of it that interests me is the same part that had me playing Neverwinter Nights 1 for ten years.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It honestly looks like it plays like the Lego games, which while not terrible is not that exciting either. The real part of it that interests me is the same part that had me playing Neverwinter Nights 1 for ten years.

This is a good comparison, too.

Now that I'm a few more levels in some actual hard enemies are showing up. Those shadow guys in the third official level caught me off-guard, they dash around quickly, can move through walls, and throw magic bolts that hit really hard. They stuck three of them in a big courtyard area with a few skeleton archers and I actually had to use my potions to make it through as a frost wizard.

There's some Lego-game-esque platforming, too, which isn't exactly spectacular but it's a nice way to break the pace and add some variety to levels. I could see a lot of cool optional platforming stuff in custom levels to reach treasures or extra potions. Terrain and elevation add enough to the combat to create some interesting fights against ranged enemies. This feels like a solid purchase at $7.50, assuming the ACK is as robust as I think it is right now (without looking at it much).

I like that they seem to have been influenced by Dragon's Dogma for the way that the Fight the Dragon segment works. I thought that was a neat idea. The Loot Shrine is a fun way to gamble with unwanted gear.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 26, 2014

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I bought this on sale and I have to say, it's a really fun game to mess around with. The level creator is simple enough to use easily but has plenty of depth for complicated quests.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I hope this ends up like the WWE games' story creators where everyone just makes impossibly bizarre poo poo about ghosts trying to resurrect andre the giant so he can beat up john cena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have two adventures up, but they're not getting any plays. If anyone wants to give me some feedback on either of these, it'd be much appreciated. They're a little heavy on the visual effects, so if it hurts your performance, I need to know that.

To play a specific map, you need to go to the Adventure screen and right click an available tile, then you can search by Adventure Name or Creator Name in the top right.

Creator Name: WIZARD OF RAP

First Dream
~6-10 minutes
An outdoor map with a non-linear middle area, a couple cool boss fights, and some intense encounters - it came out easier than I intended because I couldn't beat the original version. Suffers from having too many potion chests. I eventually plan to make four more maps like this and make them a Campaign.

Arcane Sanctum
~who the gently caress knows minutes
This map is weird. It's platforming-heavy and twisty with lots of pitfalls (the name is an Arcane Sanctuary reference), has one optional area and one branching area, and the enemy placement is intentionally a big kick in the dick. Walkthrough: I've hidden a couple intentional terrain exploits that you can use to tumble through some of the more strenuous encounters and jumps, if you find them you can speedrun this place in like a minute. If those don't work, try to duck and weave and abuse the enemy AI to make the big, hallway-blocking melee guys fall in pits. If you can kill everything on this map you are a true hero.

• Locked thread