Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Given so much of the show centres around his characters, or uses them to set its locales or flavour its plots, I wonder what they'll do if he does leave? New recurring characters? More focus on the core cast?

I hope they loving cancel it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't wait to watch two more years of this show without a good 1/3 of its characters.

So that scene from Homer to the Max where Ned walks by the window becomes eerily accurate.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can't they find a replacement?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Replace Harry Shearer? They're not God, even if they do have 5 fingers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

You say this like anyone can voice Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders, Smithers, and a bunch of other characters.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
A second meteor hits Springfield, kills half the population

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

SwissCM posted:

I hope they loving cancel it already.

Yes. They've got their out now and this must all end. Just give me a good finale.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
drat, obviously a huge blow but I think this is now the beginning of the end. Yeah they could recast, and they likely will for a couple of the major characters, but really this show needs to come to a close. They were renewed for 2 more seasons though...

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm curious about the details of him supposedly not being allowed to do other work. That seems like an odd thing to slip in after all these years. I remember at one point reading that he never bothered showing up to table reads with the other actors so perhaps they're trying to crack down on that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Rick & Morty crossover incoming.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Y-Hat posted:

You say this like anyone can voice Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders, Smithers, and a bunch of other characters.

I mean, plenty of people all over the world do that for the foreign localizations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Before anyone gets super pissy (rick and morty is fantastic), it's just a couch gag.

More exposure for a show that actually deserves it is a pretty cool thing to do matt groening.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Kurtofan posted:

I mean, plenty of people all over the world do that for the foreign localizations.

Yeah, but they haven't grown up with the original voices in the first place. I can tell you, when the actress who did the German dub of Marge died in 2006, having a new voice actor was really loving weird for a while, and that was a very different situation than this. Harry Shearer formed and created these characters through his voice acting.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Y-Hat posted:

That bunch of other characters consisting of Reverend Lovejoy, Lenny, Principal Skinner, Kent Brockman, Dr. Hibbert, Otto, and Jasper.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Tailored Sauce posted:

drat, obviously a huge blow but I think this is now the beginning of the end. Yeah they could recast, and they likely will for a couple of the major characters, but really this show needs to come to a close. They were renewed for 2 more seasons though...

The return of Poochie to fill the void.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't regret watching the show for this long, but I agree from a fanboy's perspective, it's better if they just end the show rather than recast all of Harry's roles.

I understand it from a branding perspective why they want to keep going. Al Jean and the writers like having jobs. Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse had different voice actors; why not shuffle the actors with The Simpsons? This won't change the opinion of those who thought the show jumped the shark over decade ago. Yeah, this is stupid, but people can easily rationalize things if the show is still making a little bit of money.

If the two season renewal is already locked, I'd prefer if they simply try to do two seasons without Shearer's characters and just end it there. I don't want two seasons or more where Flanders, Skinner, and Burns sound weird.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DominoDancing posted:

Yeah, but they haven't grown up with the original voices in the first place. I can tell you, when the actress who did the German dub of Marge died in 2006, having a new voice actor was really loving weird for a while, and that was a very different situation than this. Harry Shearer formed and created these characters through his voice acting.

Eh, I've seen weirder stuff, like the Dick York/Dick Sargent situation in Bewitched. Switching voice actors is something that really weirds me the gently caress out (the French voice actor for Burns and other characters died, and so did his replacement a couple of years later), but I don't know that it's something they can't write around or something. I'd be weird if there wasn't at least some send off for those characters.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ReBoot got vastly inferior when Bob was no longer voiced by Goku, I tell you what.

e: wait no that's backwards, he became voiced by Goku. Nevermind.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 14, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rick & Morty crossover incoming.

More like in...caming.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That bunch of other characters consisting of Reverend Lovejoy, Lenny, Principal Skinner, Kent Brockman, Dr. Hibbert, Otto, and Jasper.

Not Lenny!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is that cartoon Emmett Brown.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

If the two season renewal is already locked, I'd prefer if they simply try to do two seasons without Shearer's characters and just end it there. I don't want two seasons or more where Flanders, Skinner, and Burns sound weird.

I don't mind them recasting Shearer's roles. The show is already terrible now, I can't see this making it that much worse. It's better than the conspicuous absence of all his characters for two seasons.

And as far as I know, the two season renewal is already locked in place, and puts the show 10 episodes short of Gunsmoke's record.

In my perfect world, they renew the show for one more 12 episode season to break the record. Also, since it's known ahead of time that that would be the last season, they get all the old writers back to go out with a bang, similar to how they did for the movie. Also they get Harry Shearer to come back for the shortened final season.

EDIT: and they give me a solid gold house and a rocket car.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 14, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kurtofan posted:

Is that cartoon Emmett Brown.

Look Morty, just -urrrrp- stick your eyeballs in this Morty.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty/

JustTheWorst
Sep 14, 2008

Filled with delicious shrimp!
Was that Shearer voicing Flanders in the Rick and Morty couch gag? I haven't watched a new one in a while, so maybe he just sounds that way all the time now, but it sounds... off.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
http://youtu.be/cHaXdl20Prg

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Mathlete's Feat :siren: SEASON FINALE :siren:

When a modernized Springfield Elementary has a technical meltdown, Lisa transforms it into a Waldorf school.

Meanwhile, Groundskeeper Willie becomes the coach of the mathletes.

As noted before, will feature Rick and Morty in a crossover couch gag.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Two plots and a lengthy couch gag doesn't bode well for this, but the Groundskeeper Willie story at least sounds amusing.

For anyone who hasn't checked out the FX app, they've added the ability to play the standard def seasons in the proper aspect ratio. They've also added Chromecast support so I can finally have the show running constantly in the background without having to switch dvds.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 17, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

J-Spot posted:

Two plots and a lengthy couch gag doesn't bode well for this, but the Groundskeeper Willie story at least sounds amusing.

Given the earlier joke about Willie not knowing grade four math ("Then you'll be teaching Willie!") I don't think it sounds really amusing, so much as stupid.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Given the earlier joke about Willie not knowing grade four math ("Then you'll be teaching Willie!") I don't think it sounds really amusing, so much as stupid.

Maybe Willie learned something in the intervening 10 years.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

Certainly the show would be much funnier if all of the characters were depicted as being competent at their jobs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Don't get me wrong: I love a Groundskeeper Willie plot or subplot as much as the next guy, I just don't think this sounds overly promising. If it turns out as well as My Fair Laddie did, I'll eat my words.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
How many people watching that wondered what the gently caress it was?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
ONe of the nerds was dressed like Homer. That's just odd.

The first black president is...decades away.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Mister Kingdom posted:

How many people watching that wondered what the gently caress it was?
Any more than this?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I have a free Sunday, "hmm...why not watch the Simpsons" I say. And I watch it. Then instantly regret doing so.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Why in the gently caress has fox decided to bring back Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PenguinKnight posted:

Why in the gently caress has fox decided to bring back Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader

Can't they find a z grade superhero to make a show out of like everyone else?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
So, two more seasons, eh?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm conflicted on this episode. The story was all over the place and clearly filling time at various points, but I laughed a few times which is more than I can say for the majority of episodes this season. I think the only two episodes I would rate as "good" this season were the Futurama crossover and the one with Homer's cover band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It wasn't terrible, just, meh. Which is pretty much the whole season.

• Locked thread