Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Pretty good open. Wonder if/when/how control may develop. It would be pretty funny if it just didn't, and midrange ruled the roost. I think they'd make some quick (for magic) changes to removal, sweepers, counters if they just ended up killing aggro and control in one fell swoop. It may just be a quirk of this standard but Caryatid and Courser do so much to just stuff aggro, and green-X midrange can easily side in the 3cmc aggro sweepers in black and red. Woops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

L0cke17 posted:

They've been pushing for just midrange durdles for the past few years though. Pure aggro, combo and control have been getting weaker while the G/B/x decks have gotten all the fun toys and push everyone into midrange because the best cards are in those colors.

I have noticed I guess I just don't get why. The outcome of such a thing is decks that are really similar. It gets closer to "what color do you like besides green?"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

I just listened to the first Constructed Resources article where they're really down on Jeskai in general and say Mantis Riders looks OK but there just doesn't seem to be any deck for it. Constructed is way harder to predict than Limited.

This. I'm sure that nobody consider a tempo deck that was 3 colors that centered on a 3 drop. Now that I look at it, its like slow UR delver, but since most other decks are durdly too, it works out.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zorak posted:

Mostly unrelated to anything going on, but I was just thinking back to how when I first started playing ~ 2 years ago, people kept going on about how Red was the worst and Wizards just wouldn't let red decks ever be good or do anything interesting. Red's been pretty sweet as of late.

Agree. I've been very happy with red cards lately. I wish the mono-red devotion deck last standard had panned out a little more, i really liked it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rinkles posted:

I'd just like to once experience how it warps the game in a standard environment, but I suppose it's effect on modern would be unacceptable.

Lets put bolt, dark rit and swords to plow shares back too. Each color except green gets a crazy powerful thing! Green can have berserk maybe?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BizarroAzrael posted:

So should availability bring Sarkhan's price down soon or had I bet take the plunge?

It will come down. We are still in full on hype/brew mode where everyone is trying to find the next "thing" and supply has no where near caught up with demand. Check Elspeth's price curve for more data. http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/21415

TL:DR take your Christmas money and buy Sarkhan for $18 if you can afford to wait. You can see the decline in price began right around/after gameday. I think standard demand peaks at Gameday and troughs at New Years, at least for the fall set.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 29, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

When should I sell my 4 Glittering Wish? I'm pretty sure this new Modern Jeskai Ascendancy deck is the real deal, and the banlist won't be updated until December 20.

If you are sure its the real deal hold them. What do you think the odds are an obscure card like that is due for a reprint anytime soon?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BaronVonVaderham posted:

At Modern last week someone had apparently never seen Sundering Titan before. The room got really quiet while he and his opponent had their back and forth going over what the card did. I wish I could remember exactly what was said but it was really comical. Sundering Titan is a dick.

had that moment. It was so good. Was playing GR tron against UWR control, I resolved it. he lost 3 lands. He bounces it when I swing next turn, I hand him the card to read again and point at the 3 lands I wanted to remove, he scooped.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Went to my local LGS at lunch and noticed they had ashcloud phoenix for 3 bucks peace. Was I wrong to think that was a purchase worth making?

Well, it is unlikely to be worth more. That price is about right for a mythic that doesn't really see play other than kitchen table.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ultima66 posted:

drat SCG sure brings a lot of kitchen tables to their opens.

I've certainly been wrong but I looked over the decklists. I just went and looked again, admittedly not all 64 lists for both opens but I can't find a deck it appeared in.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I drafted 2 got one in a prize pack and traded 2 more from a friend.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

qbert posted:

I only need one more Sarkhan to complete my deck but JESUS gently caress what is going on with its price right now? How is it reaching Nissa levels of value in a set this heavily opened?

It will be heavily opened. Right now it hasn't been opened enough to drive prices down. The majority of players have done a few pre-releases and 1 FNM draft. Sarkhan did work at the SCG open so he is more in demand. Everyone is playing the GR deck. He has to be the most in demand card from Khans right now. He'll come down, but probably not until after Gameday I'd guess. By New Years he'll most likely be settling around $20-25 tops. Pray for good prize packs I guess, that is what I'm doing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

InterrupterJones posted:

So I finally opened a box tonight with one of my pals, and we got a few things of note:

Only one fetch, but at least it was Polluted Delta
A couple $5-$10 rares, such as Mantis Rider, Bloodsoaked Champion, Siege Rhino, etc
A full play-set of Treasure Cruises, one of which is FOIL! :woop:

Get rid of all of that ASAP. You will be really sad in a few months when all those 5-10 rares are 1-3 and foil treasure cruise is 6-9.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

My wife and I ended up buying a box because gambling is fun from time to time. Ended up pulling 7 fetches including a foil Flooded Strand and a Sarkhan which someone wants to trade a bunch of fetches for. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be taking that trade.

If you get an offer for more than 2 fetches for Sarkhan take it. That trade is going to be crazy in your favor down the road.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Valicious posted:

Should I buy the various $105 shipped boxes of Khans on ebay. I'd be drafting it out with friends (hopefully more than just with my roommate), but am primarily looking to recoup value by selling/trading singles.

Go find the post you posted last time you cracked a box. You've answered your own question in the past!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

neetengie posted:

oh man i missed this post
First rule of managing your money well with Magic: Do not buy boxes.
Second rule of managing your money well with Magic: Do NOT buy boxes!

Really though if you have enough friends buying a box for drafting is fine, especially if you split the costs between all 8 people (around 12-13 bux each person).

It is true. I almost gave in yesterday, it was so close. Then I realized that patience is a virtue and my money is valuable. My GR monsters deck will be fine without 2 sarkhans for another month or so.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Y'all are nuts, black and red aggro decks are still very good, though I think black is better right now. Black has a good removal suite and good sideboard options, and all the popular 3 color decks open fairly slow due to taplands. I havent been able to play against jeskai tempo locally, but I probably have a 60-70% winrate against my local meta, which is mosty netdecked abzan midranges, monogreens, and a few sultai control. Jeskai tempo seems like it would be a rough matchup though.

It is good, but there are a lot of easy answers for the green midrange decks to splash. Green midrange is usually paired with black or red. Both colors right now have the premium anti-aggro sweepers. I've been smacked around by black aggro, but I've also given it an absolute beating. Really depends on the draws. I've been working on my GR monsters board, right now I'm going 3 crater's claws maindeck, 2 setessan tactics 3 arc lightning as sideboard. Tactics is a fun card against aggro, it is usually at least a 2 for 1 if not better with caryatid and courser happily punching out most of their dudes.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

36 creature decks, devoting out hydras for 10+, 8+ 5cmc Sarkhan/Dragon decks, main deck Doomwake Giants...

How inbred will the big-game decks get before blue makes an appearance in standard to punish all this? I haven't seen a meta like this in forever.

e: Not to say it's a problem, just a unique set of circumstances right now I suppose.

funny enough, blue isn't very good against genesis hydra. Doesn't matter if you counter the hydra or not, I'll get the other card in play. If some blue control becomes good, it will probably just lead to GR monsters going to Temur. Surak and Stoic Rebuttal are read to smash blue, in addition to good ol' green fireball mistcutter hydra.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cernunnos posted:

When did we start talking about Modern? You've got Tron on the brain.

hehe, loving synonym card names.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

We have a gentleman's agreement in one shop to not use the deck for fear of an arms race and a boring 2 months until it gets banned. Several of us already had it and sold it and we still have enough to equip several decks' worth if some jerk breaks the agreement.

I'm going to an IQ with some pretty decent prizes Nov 1st, $400 cash and a box of Modern masters for 1st. I think I'm going to play burn, I feel its in a good place overall, and really well positioned against this pile. I can side into destructive revelry in addition to having main deck removal and Eidolon's.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

I really think that Courser and Caryatid to ramp into Polukranos or Siege Rhino makes any kind of aggro deck pretty much unplayable in this standard.

Agree. They rely on you stumbling or having a lot of removal basically. If they cut, downfall, thoughtseize you then play some beaters but that really isn't aggro.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

bring your date to play wizard poker, obviously

Yup. Tell her you have another social engagement but it will go faster if she wears a low cut top. Sure to be an excellent date and a 3-0 night at FNM.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

neetengie posted:

So thread, if you were you able to commentate on the Pro Tours for life, but had to:
A) Shill for Ultra Pro in every division they're in, including their food
B) Commentate with Sheldon Menery and play EDH with him all the time
Which would you pick?

Ultra Pro makes food?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

I believe they specialize in split pea soup and banana splits.

I like both of those things. So I'm in for option A. I will commentate on the pro-tour and shill Ultra Pro extra chunky split pea and ham.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If an equipment, namely Ghostfire Blade, is enchanted by ensoul artifact, does it lose it's ability to equip to things?

Yes there is a rule somewhere that says creatures can't equip other creatures

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AgentSythe posted:

Dave Williams, on his opponent casting a Dig Through Time for two after filling his graveyard with See The Unwritten: "Jesus Christ."

My draft deck last week had those and I too lived that dream. My opponent was not amused.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Like this Azorious Soul Blade deck.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
mtgprice thinks See the Unwritten is spiking/being bought out. This set...it can't just go up and up in price.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Eddie Whitson posted:

This will be fun when the bubble bursts here.

I'm trying to be really patient, but it is hard. I'm impulsive. I get sweats. I want to play Sarkhan. Can he loving hit $15-20 already?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

neetengie posted:

I didn't buy them at $4 each because of other investments but I wish I had. Are most of the people at your LGS poor with card evaluation? I mean it's two dudes, and the ability of the main roc is upside.

I think people looked at it, and compared its upsides and downsides, and thought it downsides were greater.

Upsides 2 3/4's for 5cmc + gain life
Downsides: No gurantee you get 2 creatures. A 3/4 for 5cmc is bad. It also is outclassed by one of standards premium fliers, Stormbreath Dragon.

The part where people are "bad at card evaluation" isn't the card itself a lot of the time, it is the context.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

NovemberMike posted:

I honestly still don't like it. It's probably the right card for the deck right now but if I buy any I'll be looking to get rid of them before the next set comes out.

I do not either. Despite the fact that Gruul Monsters didn't really show well at the PT that is what I'm playing. My stormbreath will happily be eating Wingmate Roc all standard (if they don't downfall him!)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Lord of Hats posted:

What's the EV of a Khans pack right now, anyways? Still negative, but it's got to be a crazily close margin.

http://www.mtgstocks.com/sets/239

TCG mid a booster is worth $5. Boxes are $180. I think the reason this is happening is this set hasn't been very liquid. People are opening but not trading/selling as much. People are stuck on not trading lands, so people who want lands have little/nothing to offer for non-land cards.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

I Love You! posted:

Man so i put together a Modern UR delver build yesterday with Cruise x4 and Swiftspear and it took a little tinkering, but the ONLY set I have lost so far is due to a bug in MODO + drawing 14 of my 18 lands in my first 30 cards in g2. This deck isn't just the real deal, it's super degenerate and nothing that isn't also running a set of Cruises or Digs has any real chance from what I'm seeing.

The good news is I've been streaming consistently to about 50-500 people who keep running off to make the deck since it's dirt cheap and comically goood so hopefully MODO will be utterly flooded by hordes of UR delver bullshit decks and maybe we'll see bans sooner rather than later.

Please nor before the iq I'm going too that has $1000 first prize. Care to share your list?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Veyrall posted:

News Flash: Restore Balance deck beats UR delver, every time.

That was so painful to watch.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

Ah this old chestnut, the netdeck. A shameful deck. Anyone who needs to netdeck to beat me is not playing by my rules, and thus I am undefeated at MTG. Soon I will die.

The funny part is only people who are bad at deck building make these complaints. Good deck builders end up building a deck that could/does win events and obviously they "netdeck" it is impossible to independently create a powerful deck only bad ones.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Umm, not-as-good deck? What defines this for you?

Go read his post history and see what he thought about Sorin before he won a pro tour. It will explain his "I was wrong but don't care to admit I was wrong" statement. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607421&pagenumber=873&perpage=40#post435363423

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 15, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

I have opinions. Sorry. I'm right a lot too. You don't have to agree with me or take my advice on anything.

No but we can make fun of you on the internet.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Is ebay the default best place for foreign cards? I'm looking to acquire a few small things to make my dumb EDH "pimp" Foil anime boobie sleeves are already in the mail! (this is a joke)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

What Standard deck costs 500-800 dollars?

This is my standard gr monsters deck. Its cost is right at $500. It should have 2 sarkhans so it is probably closer to $550-575 but I refuse to get a $40 standard planeswalker that doesn't look to be playable in other constructed formats.

9 Forest
6 Mountain
1 Rugged Highlands
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Crater's Claws
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Genesis Hydra
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
4 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Xenagos, the Reveler
4 Stormbreath Dragon
Sideboard:

1 Crater's Claws
2 Destructive Revelry
1 Setessan Tactics
3 Arc Lightning
1 Bow of Nylea
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Nylea's Disciple
2 Arbor Colossus
1 Hornet Queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

As I gather the solution is to pretend this isn't happening and remind everyone that ten thousand years ago there was no commerce so Sorin was free, and will some day be free again.

And yet the Louisiana state champ deck by Tom Ross, excluding eidolon from his sideboard costs like $20

• Locked thread