Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Rinkles posted:

Is Cruise Control a deck? Please tell me Cruise Control is a deck.
Never ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Boco_T posted:

That was just an incredibly watchable and exciting Magic match. Getting this weekend post-rotation every six months is going to be amazing, because this is the best.
Yeah, Standard seems to be pretty fun this time around. Then again I haven't seen much Standard besides INN-RTR standard and beyond.

Sickening posted:

Hey guys, if you buy a VIP scg package you get a water bottle and UNLIMITED WATER STATION! The value!
its about the PASSHUN

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

So I picked up the Khans event deck because I want to play BW aggro forever and it seems like a good way to get into standard. Any advice on cards I should swap out? I want to modify the decklist (maybe get a couple more Bloodsoaked Champions in there) but I'm not really sure where to start.
Swap out two Scale Chiefs for the Edgelord variant, 3 more bloodsoaked champs for the Oreskos Swiftclaw, 2 Seeker of the Way and a Pain Seer for three more Herald of Torment, 2 Dictates and a Scoured Barrens for 3 more Bile Blight, and I think that would help a lot.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

The Wicked Wall posted:

Speaking of Jeskai, I opened 3 boosters a friend didn't want (he won some raffle at the LGS) and got Narset, who looks incredibly fun but unfortunately I hate everything about the Jeskai flavour except Swiftspear so she might be a tradeaway/sell. I also got Bloodsoaked Champion (exactly what I wanted) and Clever Impersonator, so pretty good for some free packs!

Off topic, if I'm buying singles from the UK, is there any particularly recommended site for doing so? Manaleak is UK based and they use flat postage (£1 within the country) but their prices seem a little high in places (for example, Satyr Firedrinker is currently £1.49 each on Manaleak, but $0.89 on Starcity). Or would the postage for the cheaper cards being sent internationally invalidate the attempt to save money?

The only site I've been steered away from is Magic Madhouse, but with little explanation as to why.
Yeah that's an extra dollar you're paying for the Firedrinkers from Manaleak when conversion is used, but maybe overseas shipping costs a bit more and they know that, so they're wringing ya dry!
I heard MTGCardMarket is good for EU based people, although I don't know much about the EU so I can't help you greatly, sorry.
Keep Narset for Trade as EDH fodder, BloodChamp will raise in price I think and so will the UltraClone, so keep those on ice before trading them I think, although I think trading BloodChamp asap will be better since Mono Black Aggro might be great for the start of Standard before the meta settles, although I'm probably wrong on that.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

:vince: :vince: THAT NARSET :vince: :vince:

that sound you here is narset doubling in value

OfChristandMen posted:

How do you seriously not Despise the Narset there?

It's a pretty obvious choice when you die with two Hero's Downfalls in your hands.
Whoa what happened? Was busy for a bit and I miss something neat?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Sickening posted:

As compared to what?
The rest of the market?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Pyronic posted:

Can someone explain this? Is he known for having cheated somewhere before?
Yes, multiple times.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Are there any chances of ever seeing Counterspell back in standard?
I don't think it will come back unless the designers/developers have a change of heart.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

The wedge names are awful, BUG and RUG at least should remain BUG and RUG since they are both descriptive, and commonly known. MAYBE the names for Dega and Raka are more newb friendly, but they shouldn't replace their already dumbed down descriptive names they saddled us with over the past few years. I miss when they were called Team America and Canadian Threshold...
It's just SCG renaming them. Last time I heard on stream is that they prefer putting up BUG or RUG instead of fun names. So no fun allowed.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Samael posted:

Goons, what is your preferred 5 drop for a Temur Monsters deck- Sarkhan, Stormbreath Dragon, Prognostic Sphinx, Surrak Dragonclaw, Keranos, God of Storms or Nissa Worldwaker?
Stormbreath.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Time to stock up on foil Treasure Cruises and Monastery Swiftspears and sit on them for three years!
Dig Through Time is going to be a good contender I think because Card Selection > Random draw 3.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

So how expensive is it in MODO to draft really old as sets and is there ANY possibility that Wizards will start the 'Get them all digitally and we will give them to you physically' deal?
Flashback drafts are limited for a week or two I think, last week was Tempest and this week is Innistrad I think. I may be wrong but Flashback drafts usually come alongside Cube I think, which is also limited times.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

The Wicked Wall posted:

I'm considering whether to get a Khans box (the 36 pack one) as a birthday present to myself in the hope of some fetchlands or Planeswalkers for trading/selling, or trying to assemble a Sultai Delver decklist like this one. Opinions?

Having played a bit more with Delve I really like the mechanic and this deck looks up my alley, but the problem is of course the cost of some of the main pieces like Courser, Caryatid, Thoughtseize, Hero's Downfall and of course Polluted Delta. Obviously that decklist is only a jumping off point but those seem to be the big spends that bring it together, and would probably be assembled from now until Christmas considering wages and whatnot. Is Standard volatile enough that by the time I get this deck, the set will be figured out and it'll be potentially crap?

On the other hand, getting a box would mean I could do a limited dealio with my friends for the cracking process, and hopefully have a blast while potentially opening some decent stuff to sell/trade and also fill out my sparse commons/uncommons.

EDIT: I also forgot to give an overall thanks to thread for the to-the-point answers to my probably inane questions, and how accommodating everyone seems to be towards newbies getting into the game. Big props to neetengie also for responding fairly quickly whenever and being particularly helpful!
If you have friends and you want to draft with them for fun, go ahead and buy a box, but if you want singles just buy them directly from dealers, that's much much more useful than hoping to open a foil fetch or PW.
Saving up for a deck is fine, Standard barely rotated so if you want just look at events like GPs, StarCityGame Opens, and the upcoming Pro Tour for ideas on what you want to build, since everyone else will be watching too.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Entropic posted:

I think if the First Strike or Flying or whatever Outlast lords see any Standard play it will be with Ajanis and Abzan Charms.
The First Strike and Flying ones for sure, maybe the Lifelink one too.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I'm trying to make this work with Preeminent Captain, but I haven't really come up with anything explosive yet.
You could cheat in Armament Corps, High Sentinels of Arashin, Brimaz, Anafenza, and Archetype of Courage.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

All these gambling stories make me want to buy an Italian box from eBay if I can find it, since I have a hard time finding where to buy Italian singles. I know it's wrong but I'm tempted and it'll be my only way to get Italian product as far as I know.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Can someone give me the rundown on what starting a new MODO account currently gives you?
iirc 5 tickets, and a new players package thing. It has random cards and one booster I think.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Does anyone know where to buy Italian/Spanish singles? Other than eBay of course.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Samael posted:

Magiccardmarket.
Euros only - so eBay's my only option then?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Entropic posted:

Just the mythic red Phoenix in a couple sideboards. There might have been some Temur decks using Rattleclaw or Sagu Mauler, but none of them made top 8.
Grim Haruspex was in the sideboard of mono black aggro decks too I think, but yeah there weren't many morph cards.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bugsy posted:

Nathan Holliday is playing modern Jeskai Ascendency on stream right now if people want to see how crazy the deck is.

http://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball
Wait a minute, I thought the set was going to be released after the pre-release which is tomorrow?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

OY VEEEEEEY

qbert posted:

This stream is convincing me that the card will eventually get the ban hammer in Modern. It's probably too fast a combo deck for Wizards.
Ascendancy will need to be banned instead of Wish like most people are saying in the Chat. Sucks though because using Glittering Wish is neat.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

qbert posted:

Nathan still hasn't lost a single game...

He just won through a game where his opponent had Anger of the Gods, Snapcaster Mage, Remand, Counterflux, Cryptic Command, 2 Lightning Bolts, Dispel, Electrolyze, and like 8 mana on board.
He was also running really low on time.
Wizards pls Remove Ascendancy.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

In a world where Anger of the Gods is common and the quality of durdles is so low, I doubt it.

Plus I don't like a win condition of going off and pumping a bunch of dudes that can get chumped. Presumably you could cram in Nylea or Archetype of Anger, or maybe some Messenger Speed. Are there any better overrun type things that might actually fit in that deck?
The Convoke Overrun?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

The Wicked Wall posted:

I ended up buying a box instead of getting some singles for a deck I was unsure about, and ended up having a blast after putting up an event on the facebook group for our LGS' page! I asked if anyone was wanting to do a Phantom Draft (i.e. free to enter but I keep my cards) and we got enough for a full 8 people within the space of about 2 hours.

My own draft went pretty badly but I had a lot of fun doing it (I managed to win one game with Dead Drop somehow on a Siege Rhino and Necropolis Fiend)), and people were making some pretty good noises on their pack openings. Highlight pulls ended up including:
  • 2x Sarkhan
  • 1x Sorin
  • 2x Polluted Delta
  • 1x Flooded Strand
  • 4x Monastery Swiftspear for Subsligh
  • 1x Sidisi

Was this an okay box opening? Lots of other semi-decent to good rares also, and most importantly a foil Mountain and Plains.
List the other rares, the fetches and 3 PWs were good, but what else was in the haul? Seige Rhino was a good opening imo.
E: Also sell those foil Treasure Cruises and Swiftspears if you have any.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 3, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

Does nix counter spells that are forked, twincasted, storm triggered, etc?
I think so, the copy of the spell at least.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah, human Yawgmoth before he created Phyrexia was just a Thran doctor.
So based on what Yawgmoth did as a doc, he would be the Magic version of Josef Goebbels correct? Unless I'm getting him confused with another Nazi.
vvv: Yeah it's that one, I get confused at times because of their first name.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 4, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

kizudarake posted:

Would 6-9 green fetches and/or terramorphing expanses be enough to run for landfall triggers/shuffle enablers in a modern mono green ramp deck to be worth it? I have a playset of wooded foothills, a windswept Heath, and a verdant catacombs, and may end up with a few more heaths.
What cards with landfall are you running first of all? That's important to know whether running those fetches are worth it.
Is the additional land to play ability from Oracle the reason why you're running it over Courser?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Zorak posted:

Abzan has probably the best rares, but I'd argue that Sultai has some of the best commons. Abomination of Gudul is incredible, especially in multiples.

Went 3-1 with a Temur sealed pool last night. Splashed black for a Murderous Cut and an Abomination of Gudul because of course.
But you can play the best Sultai commons in Abzan man!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Pyronic posted:

So I went to pick up a couple steam augury for a deck im brewing, and as far as I can tell, its sold out on goatbots, supernovabots, and mtgotraders at least. I havent' checked other places yet, but it looks like either someone's making a run on it, or people are really seriously testing it for the pro tour, both of which are kind of exciting prospects.
No loving way.
I bought 6 gorillian of those things having an idea they were good.
IF they end up being good for this Standard I gotta find em and sell em. Doubt it though.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Here's a strange question: If you sac a face-down creature using Rescue from the Underworld, does that creature return face-up?
From my rough understanding it will come back face up. It's only face down due to morphing it or Ixidron.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys! Brand new to the thread and game! Bought my first box and I hope you all don't mind if in the next couple of weeks I bombard this thread with basic questions and such. I'm really enjoying the game so far and I even played in a draft last night. Everyone was experienced, but I just told them that it was literally my fifth time playing and my opponents were really helpful and patient :3: I have a couple friends who I will be playing with casually and I'm lucky enough to live close to at least 3 or 4 really good venues that play multiple times a week. So, hi magic goons! :)
oh man i missed this post
First rule of managing your money well with Magic: Do not buy boxes.
Second rule of managing your money well with Magic: Do NOT buy boxes!

Really though if you have enough friends buying a box for drafting is fine, especially if you split the costs between all 8 people (around 12-13 bux each person).

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Jimmy Jazz posted:

And it will swiftly drop back to 1.95 when ascendancy is banned.
Good, I need some copies for a jank build of 4C Gifts.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So I've come back to MTGO after quitting slightly before Theros and holy poo poo the new client is still so slow. That's the only way to play now, right?
Yep, V4 only goy.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Sharzak posted:

What happens if I chord for a Mistcutter Hydra? Can I choose 5 and cast the Hydra for that amount? Similarly, if I Genesis Hydra for 5 into another Genesis Hydra, can I cast that one for 4 and Hydra again?
No and no. X only matters when you cast it.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

And Genesis Hydra. You can't counter Genesis Hydra's Genesis Wave ability at all because its not an ETB, it occurs when you cast Genesis Hydra.
This clearly means Wizards need to reprint Stifle.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Would that even help? That has same problem as traditional counterspells wrt genesis hydra--you only counter half of the problem.
I was joking man. I know there's no chance in hell that there's gonna be a standard reprint, since they already printed it in Conspiracy.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

newtestleper posted:

My shameful Mercbrawl failure.

We got two weeks, so I have no excuse. I loved my original idea for this story, but completely lacked the chops to pull it off. This is what I have so far, 2/3's written and unedited. I have never spent so much effort on doing something so poorly. I am posting slightly early because I'm at work until deadline. I'm sorry to waste your time Merc, you are doing good work running these brawls.

Half of a London Story
1716 Words

The flyer said two, but Maddy had arrived at Parliament Square a half hour before the protest was due to start. It was still relatively quiet in the shadow of Big Ben, just the usual array of languid backpackers in the way of bankers and politicos, ties flying in the wind. Perhaps there had been more dreadlocks and natural fibres on the tube than normal, but it might have just been because she was looking for them. She’d always been the one to turn up before the party really started, forced into small talk with the hosts while they waited for other, trendier guests. Milling around waiting was giving her that same awkward feeling.

She popped in to a Cafe to pass the time. The barista was aussie, they always make great coffee, and this one was hot, too. She watched his strong young arms yank the machine’s handle around and smack it hard against the bench to eject the spent grounds. When she was married she’d envied the freedom of travellers like him, rootless and drifting, and it had taken her a while to realise how much closer to that her change of marital status had brought her. Sure, she still had her job to think about, but outside of work she answered only to herself.

When she got back to the square the crowds had really started to gather. White vans and minibuses were dropping off groups from the unions. Their colour coordinated uniforms and professionally lettered signs lent a disappointingly festive air to the scene. Maddy was hoping for something harder edged than a polite bunch of civil-servants, something dangerous. Across the road from the square, out of the sight of a couple of cops in high-vis vests, she saw a kid tying a handkerchief round her face. That was more like it. She looked both ways and crossed to the shadowy arches.

In the shadows of the arcade Maddy was surprised to see a ragged queue of about seven or eight young men in hoodies. Only in England would civil disobedience take the form of such orderly lines. The kid with the handkerchief round his face said a few words, but between his accent and the cloth over his mouth she couldn’t make them out. He rolled his eyes and pulled it down over his chin.

“Y’alright love?” His accent was the mixture of Cockney, Caribbean and North African that she heard from the back when she rode the bus. He didn’t look so intimidating up close with his face uncovered, he could have been any of the first years in one of her lectures. He was a good looking boy, maybe twenty years old, with a thin black moustache growing on his otherwise smooth, dark brown face.

“Fine, I think. I’m here for the protest.”

“Right place then, innit?” He looked over down the line. “Hey boys, Broad here wants in.”

One of the others, rummaging in a rucksack, looked up “Least she’s dressed right. Whatever, Bruv. Just look after her”. He was older and rougher looking, as were the rest. She was starting to turn around when the boy continued enthusiastically.

“So I’m Trevor, that’s Ray” He nodded at the guy with the bag. “The rest of ‘em are Ray’s mates.”

“Maddy, nice to meet you.”

“Just stick with us and you’ll be right. Most of them ponces just want to wave flags and sing, innit? If they want to get on TV they need people willing to start poo poo up”.

The march had headed up Whitehall before turning left down the Mall towards Buckingham Palace. She’d been there with Greg three months ago for the Royal Wedding, standing on tip-toes in the grass to try to catch a glimpse of the new Duke and Duchess through the bulletproof glass windows of their Bentley limo. What a hypocrite she’d been, teaching her Marxist theory on the one hand and propping up the Monarchy with her flag waving on the other. She wasn’t exactly a revolutionary but it was best just to avoid that stuff completely to stop Greg getting pissy. How had she ended up with such a complete Bastard? Walking in on him and that grad student was a blessing. Had she known it at the time she might not have slapped the bitch so hard.

Her group of new friends had fallen in behind a row of teachers with a huge banner, hiding them well from the cops that lined the mall despite the way their black tracksuits clashed in the sea of colours. Trevor was jerking his head around, eyes wide, trying to drink in everything around him. He grabbed at Ray’s bag.

“Come on bruv, gimme one.”

“Just settle down, stick to chirpsing with wifey.” There was a snort of laughter from further down the line. It was strange how they insisted on staying in such a neat row.

“Oh my days. That’s out of order. Come oooon.” He drew out the last word, reminding Maddy of her little brother whinging when he was little. At this Ray relented and reached into the rucksack and pulled out an orange stick with big black arrow pointing to one end. He tossed it to Trevor, who fumbled it a few times before catching it.

“Sick!” He pulled at a tab and the flare burst into life from the bottom end, spewing red smoke and flame over his trainers. He dropped it, shaking his hand in pain, then a murmur started through the crowd as the smoke rose and spread.

“Tear gas!” came a cry from behind them, and the crowd surged forward, building pressure at their backs. This was more like it. She grabbed Trevor’s shoulder and steadied him, he was still nursing his hand.

“I’m alright, I’m alright.” He gritted his teeth “Oh my days!”

She saw a small red mark on his hand, could have maybe used a band-aid but it wasn’t too bad. He saw her smirk and pulled himself together. With the commotion the protest had picked up speed, and it wasn’t long before they were in front of parliament, just a row of short barricades and the odd policeman between them and the tourist entrance. The cops seemed laid back, though the mounted one down the way was scary, her horse barded with clear plastic riot gear. Ray reached into the rucksack, and brought out half a dozen pairs of handcuffs. They jangled, innocent as a set of keys, but Maddy could see where this was headed. She imagined Greg sitting on the couch eating dinner, watching the news, and smiled at the thought of him spitting up his food when he saw her. Ray started handing out the handcuffs from his rucksack.

She was nervous now, though the plan seemed safe. She looked around, could there undercover officers in the crowd? She caught Trevor leaning back to check out her arse. She watched him look for a few seconds before he realized and blushed hard enough for her to see it clearly through the dark skin of his cheeks. She raised her eyebrows in mock admonishment, happy to be noticed by the young man.

“Well what are you waiting for?”

He looked at her for a second like she was speaking another language, before he remembered what he was doing and took the last pair. “You sure about this? It’s a wicked thing to do, know what I mean?”

He didn’t get time to hear the answer. Ray shouted the signal and the flare burst into life before being lobbed into the air by two of the crew. Then they made their run for the wrought iron fence surrounding the ornate gothic building. It was easier than she’d thought, half expecting to be tackled before they could even make it the few steps across the road. The clacking sound of the ratchets in the cuffs indicated that Ray and the others had done it, then Trevor’s slipped around her wrist and there they were, a human daisy-chain.

Down the fenceline she saw that one of the flares had landed beside the police horse, who was backing into a corner to try to get away. Their run had spurred on the rest of the protesters, too, and they’d started pressing up against the barricades and even hopping them in places. It was too much for the horse, which threw its rider and started walking straight towards them. Maddy, at the end of the chain, tried to swing herself around to give it room but it was headed directly along the fence line into their path, whinnying and bucking and stumbling back and forth just a few yards away.

When she threw herself against him, cowering from the horse, Trevor knew it was on him to keep Maddy safe. Ray had told him as much, and besides that he really liked her. He didn’t normally go after older women but something about her made him think she was up for it. He’d been screwing stuff up all day, but he felt steadier from the adrenaline running through his veins. Ray was ahead of him, pulling off his sneaker to get the key hidden there. The horse had turned, and kicked backwards in panic, catching Ray with a glancing blow on the leg. this spun him around, and the key went flying, catching the sun at the height of it’s arc. For the first time that day Trevor acted quickly. He pulled Maddy close to give the cuffs some slack, then he swung around ray and the others flicking the two out like the tip of a whip. He grimaced as the cuff connecting him to the others cut into his wrist, but he got up enough speed to catch the key in the folds of his hoodie as he fell to the ground with Maddie straddling his stomach. She took the key off his chest and used her free hand to unlock the cuffs connecting Trevor to the others, then threw it across in the direction of Ray.

The horse was still bucking and kicking, but a bunch of the cops had surrounded it and were trying to get it under control. More were on their way, with their sights set on the group.
5/10 made me hard

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

I Love You! posted:

I could turn them off, they are nice reminders though sometimes for me. I'll try muting them in the future if they're distracting.

Glad you liked my commentary! I try to explain all the moves I'm making and why as I don't actually see anyone doing that consistently and I feel like it's a lot more helpful for players looking to improve their game and understand some of the stuff I'm doing.

Also, 2-0 round 1, this deck is awesome, that guy was so wrong
gib link, if you have facecam on i will bully you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Sickening posted:

You might want to get your doomwake giants soonish if you ever think you might play green/black or you want to make some cash next week. Its all over modo right now and SCG and channel fireball are suspiciously sold out(or they have taken them down). It might be nothing but if you can still sneak them out of the bulk rare bin in your local LGS it might be an okay investment.
Hopefully you're right, I have a ton of them in surplus along with the Eidolon of Blossoms if that becomes a thing.

• Locked thread