Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

One explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A foil fetch went all the way around our table. Because we redraft.

Also I won the foil fetch.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's weird to see a tempo deck where the term isn't really synonymous with aggro control. Like the tempo-altering elements are more about shifting the clock with Burn, Deflecting Palm, and lifelink rather than keeping control while maintaining a more steady, predictable clock like Delver.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This is the dumbest game of Magic since the Bant Hexproof mirror for the pro tour.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Between the top 32 of Indy and Jersey combined to 64 decks, something like 12 didn't Courser/Caryatid I think.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

How much play did Sphinx of Uthuun get?

It showed up in a few variants of Heartless Summoning so basically none.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So legacy people, explain to me Monastery Swiftspear vs. Goblin Guide. I wasn't sold on Spear because I figured Guide was better. I knew it could grow bigger than 2/2 but I guess I didn't count on four Treasure Cruise actually being practical and giving it enough gas to do more over the course of a game.

Does Goblin Guide's trigger tend to get exploited by Brainstorm to get a free extra card? Is it common enough that that's a real factor vs. just average damage per turn?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Ah yes the age old question of why play that lovely deck when you can play this much better deck.

That's pretty much the entirety of competitive Magic though. I'm not gonna take one side or another about the wisdom of including legacy staples in Modern, but "it would kill cool decks" doesn't seem like much of an argument. If cool decks take primacy over all else, we'd be playing some weird format with like... Astral Slide, D&T, and Heartless Summoning.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Patrick "The Butcher" Chapin had his business partner iced while he was in prison. The perfect crime.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

(PS: I'm pretty sure some guy he was working with really did die while Chapin was locked up. There's just nothing at all that indicates he had any part in it or that it was even foul play. But it's fun to pretend.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I know a guy that says "mootavault" who evidently either doesn't really get or care about the fact that it's a really basic combination of the words mutant/mutating and vault.

I say it like this and I completely know I'm wrong but my brain always reads it like it's an aerial maneuver by the Great Muta.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lord Of Texas posted:

I definitely agree with Paulo on the naming of "Jeskai Tempo". Is it called that because aggro with blue must = tempo to some? To me the deck isn't Tempo unless we're calling Zoo "Naya Tempo" now.

I think it's one of those instances where the longstanding equivalence of "tempo deck" and "aggro-control deck" falls apart. It's certainly a deck that thrives on tempo. It just does it by being an aggressive/burn deck with a couple tools that confound the other guy's ability to have an accurate sense of what the clock is (Deflecting Palm, Jeskai Charm.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tempo can be thought of as gaining an advantage in some time-gated resource, whether that means a burst of mana, blanking one or more phases of an opponent's turn, drawing cards, destroying lands, ramping, pinning something to an opponent's deck-top, answering a threat with a less expensive counter or removal, etc.

You only get one attack phase in an ordinary turn. Only one untap. Only one draw. Blank these phases for your opponent or maximize the value of your own and you gain tempo.

Every deck uses tempo in one form or another. When people talk about a "tempo deck" they mean one that leans on these kinds of interactions to outrace the opponent. When you have an efficient clock, you can gain tempo on the opponent by blanking their turns with cheap counters or removal while presenting other cheap threats. Your four-drop just ate Mana Leak? Wow you just lost all of your turn other than the draw phase. More tempo for me!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Talking about tempo as board presence like Duke does neglects that there are major tempo swings that have nothing to do with you or the opponent putting something on board.

Look at it in terms of using/amplifying the use of all the phases of your turn or denying your opponent the use of theirs. Haste lets you make use of an attack phase you otherwise wouldn't get to. Consider having a guy with haste. It's a tempo gain that has nothing to do with board presence (you had board presence whether your guy has haste or not but now you get to make use of an extra attack phase!). Having your lands tapped down (e.g. Rishadan Port) denies you non-instant-speed use of your untap phase. Still nothing about board presence.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 2, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

I thought Sultai should be pretty good because access to black seems a prerequisite for the removal, but most rundowns I've seen put Sultai at the bottom. Oh well I'm going Abzan again tonight anyway

That's only even close to valid for sealed though, I think. A big problem with Sultai in those seeded sealeds is the rares in the promo pack have a decent chance of burning you with something too build-around for limited. Everyone who was making GBS threads on Sultai for Delve working against itself -- I criticized that before prerelease and after playing the set I'm willing to call them stone loving wrong. Yes, too much Delve and you start to cannibalize the benefits of having it. But everybody was evaluating it like 1) you're going to run every Delve card, 2) you're only going to play it when you can delve out the entire colorless cost, and 3) the tempo swing from dropping another card that your mana otherwise wouldn't allow this turn isn't a huge deal.

Those are dumb assumptions. If delving out one card lets me play an extra Mandrills this turn, that is a HUGE drat DEAL.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When did Frank Lepore get any good anyway? I remember seeing stuff from him around Innistrad block and thinking he was decidedly average for a person who spends that much time playing/writing/thinking about Magic.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Reminds me of watching Jackie Lee and Mark (though Mark improved considerably from their early streams.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sickening posted:

So far it appears to be a limited bomb and not much else. Green already has some really solid creatures and are being played over it.

I feel like the window for leveraging green creatures that just have good rates is so small when it doesn't take much time at all to get to the next plateau where you're doing broken crap with tons of mana. I'm still not really sure how Siege Rhino isn't suffering the same fate.

vvv Yeah I guess it's at least handy vs the aggro and burn decks.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 7, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If it happens people will make their complaints about blue, despite it being some grudging afterthought of a color in that deck.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

"NOW THEY DONT EVEN HAVE TO TURN THE MANS SIDEWAYS. THEY JUST PUSH THEM FORWARD A LITTLE."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's not even one of those hands where you understand the desire to risk a one-lander. It's not like "oh man if I rip the land I have all this action." Dude rips two off the top and still has only two plays.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Puntmaster of the Fails.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

qbert posted:

I think the difference was he already killed another Weaponmaster Game 2, so he assumed it was unlikely his opponent would have a 2nd one in his deck.

It's a common that literally nobody else would pick up unless it gets hated out, though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hagon's hair looks less awful than usual.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

By Maro's logic we need to let butt-crack guy into the Hall of Fame.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Aisar posted:

I feel like that's a tacit admission that LotV is too strong to reprint in standard.

Yeah. That's totally a way to put out more supply without letting it loose again. I don't mind the hit to my collection nearly as much as I'm bummed to know I probably won't get to play LotV in standard again.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So what decks does that put into the top 8?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The UB control is weird as heck because it's so incredibly unsexy, unflashy, and not visibly powerful. I know we're coming off two years of Verdict/Revelation that are coloring that impression but yeah. Not even any walkers. Nothing about it says to me "you can't compete with me in the late game" like I expect from control.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Deckit posted:

It first blush, yeah. It looks like it has Despise and Thoughtseize for early game hand removal, late gate Disdain and Dissolves for Mid. Resolve a Sphinx and never let it die, I guess.

I want to know what the heck Pearl Lake Ancient comes in against?

I mean I get how it works, yeah. You're just one-for-oneing everything and going up on cards with Dig and virtual card advantage by drawing more live with the Prog Sphinx scrying and your threats are exceptionally hard to kill if the opponent is living off the top of the deck. It just doesn't have the awe-inspiring decisive power I would expect, and you can see it when Owen took the initiative in his last game but was unable to do anything about burn.

Basically if a control deck doesn't make me feel like a movie villain I'm not sure it's where I want to be.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 12, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Throw Ari Lax into a volcano so I don't have to see his face again.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

qbert posted:

Welp, 3 Abzan decks in the semis.

This year's going to be so disheartening.

If you want a vision of future Standard, imagine Junk, Jund, or Naya midrange stamping on an interesting deck forever.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

A few months ago, the only good decks were mono-U, mono-B, and U/W control. Magic players have shorter memories than the goldfish I use to practice Breakfast Burrito.

And before that was GR, Naya, Jund, Junk, Jund, Naya, different Naya, different different Naya, Delver, GRx.

That's what, two hiccups where it's not one variation or another of the same old poo poo for years?

edit: Forgot 4-color Thragtusk goodstuff so you can play Jund, Junk AND Naya.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Calling it a Bad card is hilarious. It provides reach, life gain, and a decent body. It's mana cost is a weakness but base green decks are easily able to ignore that downside.

I took "bad card" to mean "badly designed card" but maybe I'm wrong.

I certainly hate the trend toward green's better rates on creatures getting stapled to a great big "gently caress you" the moment you add a white mana.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Oh I can agree with the statement its boring, as I have said a few times, creature based midrange is my LEAST favorite archetype in magic. I'd rather play all day against donate-illusions than a game against, or with, junk or jund style decks. However, I appear to be in the minority because large swathes of players seem to love these things.

I wonder if it has less to do with popularity than retention. If you get into MTG you probably like smashing face with creatures at first and if you start getting into other stuff it takes a little time. Creating a creature-oriented standard tells new players "there's more Magic to play. If you want to step your game up, you just need better dudes and some practice," which is more likely to turn new players into more heavily invested ones (financially and emotionally). Expecting the journey from new player to event player to move from "here's my angel deck, it's sweet" to "I like powerful countermagic and lots of card selection tools" happens less often.

(Is there any two-word phrase in all of Magic that signals new guy more than "angel deck?" Maybe "fire mana.")

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 13, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Equilibrium posted:

Reprint Jace

At uncommon. :getin:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Regarding Lee Shi Tian's "Umbrella Revolution" deck, the difficult part of it for me is I don't really remember WotC being consistent one way or the other about fanciful deck names. Have they always deferred to what the player names the deck or only when they're at least somewhat descriptive of what's inside? Basically I'm trying to figure out how much plausible deniability there is vs. "WotC just caved."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I can't name my Immortal Servitude Boros brew "Millions of Dead Cops," Magic is loving dead.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's no correct time to link this so here's my favorite deck I've ever seen on an SCG stream:

http://blip.tv/scglive/scgdc-std-rnd3-steven-axtell-vs-carl-endres-5909750

Some loving weirdo BUG deck from Innistrad standard that just has filthy value everywhere. It's hilarious.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

After a whole year of black midrange dominance and the strong junk midrange presence, control is still at fault for everything. I like the view that control, even when not winning anything, is still the puppet master. :evilbuddy:

I wonder if it will ever change. You see echoes of it all over the place. A slightly exaggerated version of poo poo I hear all the time in EDH: "Well, you have no permanents, no hand, your library is exiled, you're at 1 life, and you're dead to a trigger on the next upkeep. The other opponent has an army full of scary threats and I have a once in a lifetime opportunity to crush them. If I don't take that opportunity I will surely lose.

... But you're playing blue so you probably have some trick up your sleeve. Swing out at you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

theironjef posted:

I conceptually like these planeswalker commanders, but I feel like they aren't going to see any play as commanders, since taking one gives up a wincon in the form of Commander damage. gently caress trying to slowly chop through some slow-rolling Oloro deck at 180 life because you can't just voltron up your walker commander and punch for 21.

I feel like more relevant than commander damage is the fact that it's going to be really hard to keep them alive when folks can attack them directly. And in Teferi's case, he doesn't have any realistic game plan to stay alive unless you're already winning handily. Maybe Stasis until you can tick up to the emblem?

• Locked thread