Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

atastypie posted:

How can the production value of the pro tour consistently stay so low? gently caress

This is pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

atastypie posted:

How can the production value of the pro tour consistently stay so low? gently caress

Wizards of the Coast hires the same quality of AV guys for coverage that they do for programming MTGO.

Sen-dart
Oct 9, 2012

atastypie posted:

How can the production value of the pro tour consistently stay so low? Currently getting players to describe their sideboards between match 1 and 2, but the audio is still on the booth. Come on

Hearing someone make train noises is far more important than the sideboards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

neetengie posted:

I didn't buy them at $4 each because of other investments but I wish I had. Are most of the people at your LGS poor with card evaluation? I mean it's two dudes, and the ability of the main roc is upside.

This was in this thread.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
god i wish there were audio issues whenever zac hill is talking

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

atastypie posted:

How can the production value of the pro tour consistently stay so low? Currently getting players to describe their sideboards between match 1 and 2, but the audio is still on the booth. Come on

From what I remember (I may be wrong) the crew that does the Pro Tours is different than the crews who do the GPs. So, when you only do 4 events a year, there is a higher chance kinks won't be worked out. Compare to SCG, who has the same crew practicing the same things literally almost every week.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lord Of Texas posted:

From what I remember (I may be wrong) the crew that does the Pro Tours is different than the crews who do the GPs. So, when you only do 4 events a year, there is a higher chance kinks won't be worked out. Compare to SCG, who has the same crew practicing the same things literally almost every week.

in other words, wizards is too cheap to actually higher professionals

e: vvvv would you accept the combo in the finals?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 12, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Really hoping there's no Jeskai player in the finals so the deck doesn't spike as much and I have a chance to pick it up.

I just need to stop trading forever, because I am on a streak of trading away format staples that spike up in price shortly after being traded. Elspeth, Dig Through Time, Caryatid, Mantis Rider etc.

EDIT: Does anyone remember that site that shows card prices in a set visually by resizing the cards?

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
gently caress yes, Abzan won the match. Love that deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

neetengie posted:

gently caress yes, Abzan won the match. Love that deck.

Why? Because of the possibility of flying rhinos?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Saporito has sculpted that neckbeard. :stare:

E: And apparently de-sculpted it overnight by shaving the whole thing off for the Sunday. Good lad.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 12, 2014

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

EDIT: Does anyone remember that site that shows card prices in a set visually by resizing the cards?

Ark42 got taken down, but Dawnglare picked up the mantle: http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Rinkles posted:

Why? Because of the possibility of flying rhinos?
I love the colors, that's why. Junk is my favorite tri-color pair.
e: also helps that it's a midrange deck, my favorite archetype.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I like Strasky's build-- I'd like to see a Czech deck tech about it.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Jeskai Loses more like it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Two incredibly dominating matches by Abzan over Jeskai.

Good news for U/B control at least.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Hey it turns out multiple Siege Rhinos is really good WHO KNEW?!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Welp, 3 Abzan decks in the semis.

This year's going to be so disheartening.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

qbert posted:

That's a bit disingenuous. Sigrist's Abzan deck is quite different from the others.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Eddie Whitson posted:

Wizards of the Coast hires the same quality of AV guys for coverage that they do for programming MTGO.

:vince:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

qbert posted:

Unless you play Robits. It can stop Caryatids with Phyrexian Revoker, and use Daring Thief to exchange a Singing Bell Strike or Ensoul Artifact for Courser.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Zurai posted:

That's a bit disingenuous. Sigrist's Abzan deck is quite different from the others.

I apologize. Allow me to rephrase:

12 Siege Rhinos in the semis. This year's going to be so disheartening.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just picked up some cards at a garage sale. Cut a pretty good deal with the guy so we both are gonna do pretty good.

However, there is a box of water and road salt damaged cards that is pretty amazing. Most is garbage but if I see something really cool and damaged I have to keep it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

qbert posted:

If you want a vision of future Standard, imagine Junk, Jund, or Naya midrange stamping on an interesting deck forever.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Wizards is literally comically bad at everything that uses electricity. Like, it doesn't make sense that they're bad at the tech side of casting, MODO, and Wizards Event Reporter. Presumably those are at least somewhat different teams. And yet, here we are.

Also Jeskai Storm down game 1. :(

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I need 4 Wingmate Rocs :(

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

oryx posted:

Ark42 got taken down, but Dawnglare picked up the mantle: http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

All those prices seem inflated to SCG levels.

KillarySwank fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 12, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you want a vision of future Standard, imagine Junk, Jund, or Naya midrange stamping on an interesting deck forever.

This post fell out of a wormhole from five years ago and never stopped being true.

edit: Two years ago? When was Wolf Run/Olivia/Thragtusk/Huntmaster

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

This post fell out of a wormhole from five years ago and never stopped being true.

As opposed to some blue plus white and/or black deck countering and killing everything interesting?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rabidsquid posted:

A few months ago, the only good decks were mono-U, mono-B, and U/W control. Magic players have shorter memories than the goldfish I use to practice Breakfast Burrito.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

A few months ago, the only good decks were mono-U, mono-B, and U/W control. Magic players have shorter memories than the goldfish I use to practice Breakfast Burrito.

And before that was GR, Naya, Jund, Junk, Jund, Naya, different Naya, different different Naya, Delver, GRx.

That's what, two hiccups where it's not one variation or another of the same old poo poo for years?

edit: Forgot 4-color Thragtusk goodstuff so you can play Jund, Junk AND Naya.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Standard is going to be boring as long as the cards are boring.

Siege Rhino is a bad, boring card that is a step above Pierce and Peace Strider and if it dominates this format then it will say volumes about the quality of the cards in it

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Eh, yeah, 3 of the decks have 4 Rhinos each, but again, Sigrist's deck uses it a lot differently than the other two. For him it's a curve-topper and game-closer, for the others it's a stall tactic.

EDIT: That said, this match looks like it's going to be pretty boring.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 12, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Siege Rhino is a bad, boring card that is a step above Pierce and Peace Strider and if it dominates this format then it will say volumes about the quality of the cards in it

Calling it a Bad card is hilarious. It provides reach, life gain, and a decent body. It's mana cost is a weakness but base green decks are easily able to ignore that downside.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Calling it a Bad card is hilarious. It provides reach, life gain, and a decent body. It's mana cost is a weakness but base green decks are easily able to ignore that downside.

I took "bad card" to mean "badly designed card" but maybe I'm wrong.

I certainly hate the trend toward green's better rates on creatures getting stapled to a great big "gently caress you" the moment you add a white mana.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

TheKingofSprings posted:

What card do you think is good/interesting?

I personally love siege rhino because I like playing midrange and its such a gently caress you to aggro/burn decks which I hate playing against.

To each their own I guess

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Love that boardstate.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Ari's deck really is a well-oiled machine.

He's playing really well too. I think he's gonna take this whole thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sorin's price is gonna overtake Sarkhan's, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I took "bad card" to mean "badly designed card" but maybe I'm wrong.

I certainly hate the trend toward green's better rates on creatures getting stapled to a great big "gently caress you" the moment you add a white mana.

Oh I can agree with the statement its boring, as I have said a few times, creature based midrange is my LEAST favorite archetype in magic. I'd rather play all day against donate-illusions than a game against, or with, junk or jund style decks. However, I appear to be in the minority because large swathes of players seem to love these things.

• Locked thread