Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

naem posted:

It's about new money and stealing, and its set in china, which is appropriate; I think they picked a blonde Nordic superman because people are nervous about changing power and wealth demographics

"The chinks are getting uppity! Quick, send in a pure blood Aryan to beat them back into submission!"

-This movie in a nutshell

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i didnt mind miami vice

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

his movies look like cheap high school films.

he's whats wrong with digital filmmaking.

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

I genuinely don't get Michael Mann. I mean yeah his long shots are gorgeous, but that's really all I ever see. What am I missing oh genius cinephiles? What am I missing?

Style over everything.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Yaldabaoth posted:

"The chinks are getting uppity! Quick, send in a pure blood Aryan to beat them back into submission!"

-This movie in a nutshell

yellow peril, ayyyyy

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
they want to cast mark wahlberg as case in the neuromancer adaptation lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
A character who uses computers and exercises?? WTF GET REAL HOLLYWOOD

mind the walrus posted:

I genuinely don't get Michael Mann. I mean yeah his long shots are gorgeous, but that's really all I ever see. What am I missing oh genius cinephiles? What am I missing?

The willingness to think about what his long shots are showing you I guess. Not all his movies are the same, but a common thing I like is how he reduces all conflicts to warring tribes and the contests between their champions. Makes for exciting story-telling.

Not really getting the reaction here. In this trailer we have:

- human tendency to use technology without real consideration of consequence
- the law struggling to keep up with the same
- the exertion of power by states and individuals thru globally interconnected tech
- America trying to deal with being supplanted by Asia
- attractive ppl runnin' and bangin'
- pretty colours
- the primal violence and spirituality lurking under the mask of ordered secular technocratic society

Lots of neat stuff.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I bet he does starting strength or crossfit

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Mann's films to tend to keep their protagonists at a distance, if that makes any sense. I don't that's always a bad thing, but it can be hard to get into.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Black Bones posted:

A character who uses computers and exercises?? WTF GET REAL HOLLYWOOD

The willingness to think about what his long shots are showing you I guess. Not all his movies are the same, but a common thing I like is how he reduces all conflicts to warring tribes and the contests between their champions. Makes for exciting story-telling.

Not really getting the reaction here. In this trailer we have:

- human tendency to use technology without real consideration of consequence
- the law struggling to keep up with the same
- the exertion of power by states and individuals thru globally interconnected tech
- America trying to deal with being supplanted by Asia
- attractive ppl runnin' and bangin'
- pretty colours
- the primal violence and spirituality lurking under the mask of ordered secular technocratic society

Lots of neat stuff.

The reaction is because it's another movie where computers are magic devices that can do anything simply by typing on the keyboard. And because Michael Mann's last two movies weren't well received.

If a movie about or involving hackers has shots of the insides of a computer, or tries to making hacking look "sexy" or hip, then in almost every case the rest of the movie will be just as lovely. See: Hackers, Swordfish, etc.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Black Bones posted:

Yet I'm willing to bet you think superhero movies are childish nonsense because the costumes are goofy, the factions entirely imaginary and simplified, and they don't have languid long shots with pretty contrasting colors for you to project meaning onto. Not actually trying to stir poo poo up, I just couldn't help but notice.

Also according to this thread people love Michael Mann because of his long shots, especially his night shots, yet they also hate his night shots and think he needs to get with the times. I'm honestly more confused than when I started.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Doc Block posted:

See: Hackers, Swordfish, etc.

Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
In the final shootout Hemsworth is going to upload a hotfix to their weapon software that turns all their bullets into foam and then say "Welcome to nerf."

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

looks p dumb but kinda cool they had antony and the johnsons cover in taht trailer

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

For a movie about hacking, there wasn't really much hacking in that trailer.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tjhe matrix is the most realistic hacker movie because when it comes down to it its just a dude sitting in front of a screen with a bunch of boring monochrome text scrolling past and he's just like "yeah I know, it only makes sense because i have the 'spergers" and he hates his life and betrays everyone about it

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqc7PCJ-nc

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Crewmine posted:

code:
H A C K T H E P L A N E T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drJWxMLrpE0

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so what's with the AV butplug accident?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Yet I'm willing to bet you think superhero movies are childish nonsense

You would make a poor gambler

quote:

they don't have languid long shots with pretty contrasting colors for you to project meaning onto.

Actually, the good ones do. The two most recent superhero movies that I liked are Man of Steel and Guardians of the Galaxy, both beautifully shot films.

quote:

Also according to this thread people love Michael Mann because of his long shots, especially his night shots, yet they also hate his night shots and think he needs to get with the times. I'm honestly more confused than when I started.

Some ppl have dumb opinions, don't let it get to you.

Doc Block posted:

The reaction is because it's another movie where computers are magic devices that can do anything simply by typing on the keyboard.

I know, you have to click the mouse too!

Why didn't they cast real hackers, and use natural lighting, to tell a non-fiction story?? It looks like some sort of performative art piece, Michael Mann YOU IDIOT!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I love Michael Mann so I'm seeing this no matter what. I liked Miami Vice and Public Enemies was ok :colbert:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

4 chan

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Black Bones posted:

Why didn't they cast real hackers, and use natural lighting, to tell a non-fiction story?? It looks like some sort of performative art piece, Michael Mann YOU IDIOT!

:rolleyes:

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Alan Smithee posted:

If its anything like Heat people are gonna call this the best drat depiction of a hacking scene ever committed to film

Featuring the loudest, most realistic gunshots typing noises in any film to date

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

you don't know what this is... 6r1mr34p3r420 is visiting with you...

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Because she's got a great motherboard! And you've got your head ALL THE WAY UP IT!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
We're being hacked!

> execute antihack.exe

fln lnokdas vhsognoishgowhfoih goj d ogisadogih paigh 0asn dgoawg *beep*

These aren't your usual script junkies or telnet freaks. They're closing in on our inner firewalls!

dsgjo8i4h ok jklgkkgnou mnxpounstlkju9x sgluidnbvj-0dlmkklj nklfliu afjslgju dklsg;su *beep*

I'm trying to offline the nodes as fast as I can!

ksugnks klsurj klaksjjoiu asrfj afj kljfoinu ,mrfij kl jgfoiu d *beep*

It's no good, their encryption is better than ours!

dskln dsu nkljne5tou ,mdgkliu astno98u kj asoiyuegj a *beep*

They've got our low-level access commands now!

dfjk oigh skldgfsu asjgh h asoiuet aklaety i *beep*

Bypassing the duplex loop on the system bus, hopefully that'll buy us some-- drat!

fkiuan ewkukdfmn pougn,d nlijuds dsg *beep*

++ SYSTEM OFFLINE ++
(all the lights in the noc go out)

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Black Bones posted:

You would make a poor gambler

Actually, the good ones do. The two most recent superhero movies that I liked are Man of Steel and Guardians of the Galaxy, both beautifully shot films.

Some ppl have dumb opinions, don't let it get to you.

Man of steel was poo poo

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Doc Block posted:

If a movie about or involving hackers has shots of the insides of a computer, or tries to making hacking look "sexy" or hip, then in almost every case the rest of the movie will be just as lovely. See: Hackers, Swordfish, etc.

Except Hackers had Angelina Jolie's boobs. Swordfish had Hali Berry's. It also had a hot girl blowing a dude while he had a gun to his head, trying to hack into the CIA. The reason all this is necessary is because any movie that had anything resembling actually hackers actually hacking anything would be boring and unwatchable.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You can see each actresses' boobs in much better movies if it matters that much to you. Don't be one of those "Yeah, Cowboys & Aliens was real bad, but Olivia Wilde is soooo hot so I saw it multiple times" guys (and yes, I know someone who said that, using almost those exact words).

And :lol: if you liked Swordfish.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

swordfish was on a constant loop on hbo in like 2002 so i watched it a lot because we didnt have broadband internet back then

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

memy posted:

Man of steel was poo poo

Naw it was great, probably the best of 2013, after Spring Breakers

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

anyone who thinks hackers isn't the perfect film hasn't watched it enough or lately

the fact that the details of hackers doesn't correspond to reality isn't the movie's fault, it's ours as a species.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Hackers is loving awesome

Miami Vice is also loving awesome, and my second-favorite Mann after Heat (note: haven't seen The Insider or The Last of the Mohicans)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

anyone who thinks hackers isn't the perfect film hasn't watched it enough or lately

the fact that the details of hackers doesn't correspond to reality isn't the movie's fault, it's ours as a species.

It's not Sneakers.

I could just watch Sneakers and then Heat or Collateral instead of Black_Hat

• Locked thread