Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah idk this country is really against communists or something

when I was in Germany I paid 70 euro a month for health coverage and it covered completely everything with no copays or whatever. the only thing I had to pay extra for was if I went to the Dentist there was an additional 10 euro fee per quarter. so like the first time you go that quarter you gotta pay 10 euro but then after that it's free every time until the next quarter.

in the USA I pay almost twice that and get decent healthcare coverage but I still have to pay hundreds of dollars out of pocket if anything happens. and it doesn't cover vision or dental because lol why would it those are 'luxuries.'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
obamacare let me get some actually decent coverage for the first time in ever for a good (relative to what it was before) price

idk why you pay for dental insurance that's just dumb.

e: wtf how much do you pay that your insurance premiums are more than 30% of all the money you make :catstare:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HEY VAPER posted:

You can remove your own teeth with pliers! Something something about poor people having refridgerators.

well no because you end up paying like what, ~$50-$100/mo and then you're still out of pocket the first $500 or so. And it only covers (most of the time) half the cost of major procedures, 75% the cost of fillings and crowns and poo poo, and 100% the cost of check ups (lol the $50 check up).

So how is it cost effective? Nix it entirely and just pay out of pocket. They usually give you a good discount if you don't have insurance. If you take care of your teeth you'll be paying a lot less. I had all my wisdom teeth + another bad tooth pulled for $1900 which was expensive but it's not like insurance would have saved me any money really.

And I had to option of going to Mexico and doing it for half that but that seemed like too much of a hassle. But it's not particularly sketchy, there's whole towns set up around US doctors going down and practicing dentistry just across the border for cheap.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 29, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HEY VAPER posted:

I used to have an actual not lovely dental policy where I would get check ups for a $10 copay, 95-100% on crowns and fillings, surgery etc.

how much did you pay per month though?

I mean yeah you can find good policies but just generally speaking as a person who doesn't have health coverage through their employer most dental policies offered end up loving you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HEY VAPER posted:

About 1/3rd as much as I'm paying now for group death.

well you said you're paying 30% of your salary so a third of that is still too much imo

idk why we can't just get socialized medicine already, the concept of profit driven healthcare is ridiculous

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah it's definitely hosed some people and helped others, didn't mean to imply it was good for everyone

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the USA medical system is totally whacked out lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
someone was telling me how the doctors had to make money too because their education costs are so high

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well right but the insanity is that the education should be super cheap or free like it is in other sane countries so the doctors wouldn't have to go into crushing debt and it would be a non issue

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

um who would pay for the education then? checkmate heh

maybe doctors would be able to pay their school debt off if it wasnt for haggling motherfuckers

education isn't a limited commodity though

and usually they can haggle so much because they are artificially inflating the gently caress out of the price just to get $$$ from the insurance company so when they know you don't have insurance they give you something better (or risk you not paying at all).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if 10 American adults have 1 dollar and the eleventh has a million the 'average' is going to be ~$100,000 but that doesn't mean everyone has $100,000.

even right above that chart in the image you posted it says look at the median for a more accurate number. don't be obtuse indeed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It is when you restrict the number of residencies lol

I guess you could audit thru med school and be Dr. Nick working out of an alleyway with no license but you're not gonna pay off your student loans that way either

yeah but that's all artificial.

like debeers creating artificial scarcity of diamonds so they can rake in cash. there's no real reason the number of residencies have to be so limited or education has to be so expensive. it's not like it actually costs the university hundreds of thousands of dollars to add another person to the class.

TOILETLORD posted:

if you are too lazy to watch your money or put any work into keeping it you deserve to lose it.

happyhippy posted:

I agree.
It's funny watching americans go bankrupt needlessly.

haha I know right when people have some sort of injury or disease they are totally supposed to just shop around and look for The Best Deal - even though hospitals don't really tell you the fees upfront it's more like going to a mechanic and getting an 'estimate'

then they call in a consultation while you are gassed up and charge you an additional $100,000 because gently caress you.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 30, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's called a second opinion.

This isn't unheard of or bad.

I think if you get that worked up over stuff like that maybe you should just stick to going to a pediatrician.

it's called sustaining a major injury and getting taken to the nearest ER and not having the luxury of picking and choosing prices or doctors when you might literally die. Sometimes they like to gently caress you over by calling in a consult while you are knocked out and on the operating table and your insurer goes "LOL that person is not in your plan here's a $50,000 bill have fun"

I'm obviously not talking about getting a diagnosis and then going and getting a second opinion fuckwit.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TOILETLORD posted:

you sound frail and angry about it. like a dude mad about his small dick.

nah I actually have really good coverage

it's just mind boggling that our system is what it is, it's like some people sat down and went 'okay how can we gently caress this up as much as possible'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also I just saw this and I'm sorry that it's like 6 pages ago but:

you don't need expensive training to work an X-ray or MRI scanner that poo poo is easy as gently caress I could probably do dental x-rays after getting 3 sets done.

reading them accurately is the real work but gently caress off with the 'expensive techs to work the million dollar machine'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also single payer works because when you're talking about pooling risk (which is what insurance is business plan wise), the bigger the risk pool the better for every individual in there - it would be cheaper to have everyone in the country in the same risk pool than to have a bunch of smaller pools.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you do that you might as well scrap the whole idea of taking care of other people in the first place

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pillow Clerk posted:

Just here to reiterate that Trader Joe's is good, but mostly for booze, condiments, and eccentric/quirky snacks. Meat and produce I would get elsewhere.

sounds like you're advocating letting old people die miserably because it's expensive to take care of them and we gotta keep all the funbux we can

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Prorat posted:

Since when do insurance companies or governments actually want to help people?

well theoretically at least the government is in the people's interest. it's a better starting point than a company that literally makes money off of being the middleman between a patient and the care that patient needs.

natetimm posted:

The problem is most healthcare in the US is already budgeted and running on a for-profit system. The entire R&D of drug companies, for instance, relies on them being able to fund research by milking the profits off blockbuster drugs. Even if you went to socialized healthcare today, supplements would still exist, and many doctors would decide they just aren't taking the national plan, just like they currently do with other plans today. It's a giant, complicated system that would really reel from being nationalized on the level many people advocate for and could have shitloads of unintended consequences.

so the argument is 'it's too complex to do anything about at this point if we poke it with a stick the whole thing will collapse'

anyway nationalize the whole loving thing then. Companies won't do R&D for new drugs? Fine. Scale back military spending and reallocate it to government institutes that find cures for the people. I'd rather spend $1.5 trillion tax dollars on finding a cure for cancer than building a shitplane.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yet somehow the post office functions perfectly well and NASA manages to land robots on Mars

woe is government, can do literally nothing correctly

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the post office isn't supposed to be profitable shitlord

who else is going to deliver your package to the middle of gently caress nowhere, not DHL or FedEx because only the city routes are profitable

this strange narrative of 'government/public run business must be PROFITABLE' the GOP has invented is so retarded; the whole point of government providing some services is that they are needed/wanted but not profitable

Prorat posted:

Obama care website cost like 500 million. My Indian friend could of done it for 50,000.

yeah graft exists everywhere that's not an argument for a private healthcare industry

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TOILETLORD posted:

one of the originals ways our government was able to collect taxes was from selling stamps, for a while that was literally the only legal way for the fed to get taxes. They planned it to be profitable, too bad it's a couple hundred years out of date.

yeah and at one point we had a silver standard. just think of the post office as a jobs program. you know, just like the military.

natetimm posted:

Well, simply nationalizing companies would either cause a massive financial fallout or require a buyout from the government for starters. So there's probably a giant price tag there just to get the ball rolling. Then you've got problems like care rationing - there simply aren't enough facilities and doctors to treat everyone at the moment because of the way the market has been influencing people away from going to the doctor. Pile on top of that the inevitable fuckery the rich would pull in creating their own elite system separate from the poors to avoid any of the fallout and I'm not entirely sure you end up with a better result than what we currently have.

change is hard. so is continuing our current course. Anyway I said let government pick up slack. IE, if companies say 'well we won't do R&D on pharmaceuticals anymore because we don't think we'll recoup our money,' the government can say 'fine we'll do the research.' No buyout required.

Anyway all these problems are temporary but this poo poo healthcare will continue until it is changed.

fuckery from the rich should result in jailtime for the rich in real prisons.

I know that I am relying on a congress and president that actually gave a poo poo and weren't in the pockets of monied interests but I'm talking about ideally. Like if this was a Paradox game and I just sat down and loaded the save up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Prorat posted:

Which is exactly what will happen with health care. Anyone who loses a HC job now will work for the government when it's nationalized. Probably get paid more and not give a gently caress if it works efficiently or not because it's not like it's a company that can go out of business.

Your set for life with a gubment job.

you know medicare works really loving well, right?

it's literally government run healthcare, just for old people. All they had to do was extend coverage on medicare and fund it.

that's the madness; there are examples of both socialized healthcare working in other Western countries and we already have socialized healthcare for the elderly but there's this very strange mentality of 'NO it will never work!'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
AI dictatorship it's the only way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TOILETLORD posted:

dunno i think i might make a pretty good dictator. i'll just allow anarchy and who ever ends up on top of the states gets to be governor.

benevolent dictatorship is great, the problem is what happens when you die?

• Locked thread