Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Cernunnos posted:

/\/\/\: That sounds like a solid plan.

I think I'm going to build something like that UW Altar deck as one of my "dick around with the other players, I don't care if I go 0-4 I having a laugh" decks for this Standard. Plus I have 4 Flooded Strands and the stuff I don't have is pretty cheap.

That is pretty much my plan. I don't really care if I win, I just want to have fun until I find a deck I'm interested in playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

That is pretty much my plan. I don't really care if I win, I just want to have fun until I find a deck I'm interested in playing.

The best part about playing decks like these is your opponents Turn 1 Thoughtseizes.

"Swamp. Thoughtseize you. ... What the hell am I looking at?"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Based on my experience with Murder Kings tonight, I'm going down to 1 Purphoros and replacing the other 2 with Liliana Vess and Tormenting Voice. Purphoros just doesn't seem to do enough against players, especially since my other cards are so good already. He may be a great card with Elspeth, but an unanswered Elspeth wins the game anyway so I'm happy to have just 1 Purphoros as a tutor target for Liliana Vess. Maybe if I have a problem removing planeswalkers I'll put Purphoros back in, but the deck has 8 maindeck and 4 sideboard removal spells that can remove a Planeswalker anyway.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Modern chat time. I'm thinking of trying a new thing for my favorite pet deck, genesis wave, by adding Restoration Angel. Angel has lots of nice etb-effect creatures to hit with this deck and seems like she could potentially add a lot of value. Here's my current idea, which is a modified version of my current wave deck:

4x Arbor Elf
2x Birds of Paradise
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
2x Strangleroot Geist
3x Eternal Witness
2x Wistful Selkie
4x Restoration Angel
1x Acidic Slime
2x Primeval Titan
1x Regal Force
1x Craterhoof Behemoth

3x Genesis Wave
2x Harmonize
1x Primal Command
1x Tooth and Nail

4x Utopia Sprawl
4x Garruk Wildspeaker

8x Forest
4x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4x Temple Garden
4x Windswept Heath

Open to suggestions and opinions.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So I'm building a White/Black weenie/life-based effect deck but I've run into some issues with flying decks. Out of only M15 cards, which W/B fliers are actually decent? Also, are any of the artifacts decent? I suck at deckbuilding so I have no perspective for what's good or not :saddowns:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Boco_T posted:

Has anyone done enough testing to recommend which is better between the 16 Mountain One Drop red deck and the 20 Mountain One Drop And Rabblemaster deck? I mean I guess the one with 20 Mountains got 7th at SCG NJ over the weekend so it's probably better, but man it would just feel so good to run that $20 red deck. Need to pick between the two for TCG States this weekend.

16 Land Sligh, from what I've tested, is basically a faster and more vicious version of Rabble Red; in goldfishing it can regularly win on Turn 3 (sometimes 4, but more reliably than Rabble if that's the case). However, it's not unlike the old 8-land Stompy deck in that you basically have to win by turn 3/4 or else the deck runs out of gas very quickly. Rabble Red, by comparison, is able to sustain itself a bit with the use of Rabblemaster and cards like Frenzied Goblin and Blinding Flare to get past whatever defenses the opponent has set up (that 16-Land Sligh might struggle against) while still having explosive starts that translate into quick wins.

My advice would be to anyone interested in either deck would be to build both versions; 16-land Sligh is better against slower control decks that should eventually pop up (and potentially the new Jeskai Tempo in that you have too many threats to use 1-for-1 removal against) whereas Rabble Red is more balanced overall.

EDIT: For example, 16-Land Sligh is probably dead in the water if the opponent resolves a Drown in Sorrow or Anger of the Gods on Turn 3, but Sligh can potentially kill them on it's own Turn 3 if they are on the play/going first. Rabble Red can at least play around that by saving a Rabblemaster to drop afterwards and continue to threaten.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 1, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Alabaster White posted:

So I'm building a White/Black weenie/life-based effect deck but I've run into some issues with flying decks. Out of only M15 cards, which W/B fliers are actually decent? Also, are any of the artifacts decent? I suck at deckbuilding so I have no perspective for what's good or not :saddowns:
Triplicate Spirits.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

bhsman posted:

Sligh can potentially kill them on it's own Turn 3 if they are on the play/going first.

What's the line of play that can get you a win on turn 3? Not being snarky, just honestly want to know.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think it involves hitting 3 Mountains (the hard part) and drawing gas (which it does very well admittedly) off of Dragon Mantle.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
3 mountains, at least 2 swiftspears and another creature, and basically any 3 non-dragon mantle pump spells. There are combinations that don't work in that setup, but a large majority of them get there.

You can also go
t1 swiftspear 19
t2 swiftspear titan's strength 12
t3 2x titan's strength 0
But that requires 3 titan's strength, and as such isn't likely.

edit:
t1 hoplite/akroan crusader
t2 swiftspear titan's strength 13
t3 2x titan's strength 0
also works, and requires only 1 swiftspear.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 1, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dungeon Ecology posted:

What's the line of play that can get you a win on turn 3? Not being snarky, just honestly want to know.

Typically involves two copies of Monastery Swiftspear and some number of three-damage-for-one-card things (lightning strike, titan's strength).

E.g:
1. Mountain, Swiftspear (19)
2. Mountain, Swiftspear, Titan's Strength (12)
3. Mountain, Titan's Strength, Lightning Strike (0).

A lot more lines open up if just getting then to 17 for a turn 4 Lightning Strike is sufficient - for example, Hammerhand + Coordinated Assault on your turn 3 will let you do 17 through a blocker. And it gets even easier if your opponent takes any pain at all from their lands during those first turns. You could probably also get away with Heroic dude + Swiftspear.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alright, I threw something together for scathing critique:

9 Plains
7 Swamp
2 Radiant Fountain
2 Caves of Koilos
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

1 Obelisk of Urd

1 Ajani Steadfast

4 Ajani's Pridemate
1 Battle Mastery
1 Congregate
1 Divine Favor
3 First Response
3 Triplicate Spirits
4 Raise the Alarm
1 Sanctified Charge
2 Soulmender
1 Seraph of the Masses

3 Eternal Thirst
1 Necrobite
1 Necrogen Scudder
3 Sign in Blood
4 Typhoid Rats
2 Wall of Limbs
2 Ulcerate

It's a B/W life deck with some Soldier tribal too. It's just a casual/FNM standard deck so it's probably terrible as hell, so feel free to be a jerk :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 1, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So this is my modern deck I am planning to make, it's my first time ever playing modern and it's (relatively) budget (Snaps are fine in terms of price, goyfs or bobs nope), so here is my list.

U/R Delver-
Creatures (14)-
4x Delver of Secrets
2x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Snapcaster Mage
4x Young Pyromancer

Other Spells (27)-

4x Lightning Bolt
2x Remand
1x Electrolyze
3x Vapor Snag
2x Pillar of Flame
4x Serum Visions
3x Mana Leak
4x Gitaxian Probe
2x Izzet Charm
2x Spell Snare

Lands (19)-

3x Shivan Reef
1x Breeding Pool
1x Cascade Bluffs
2x Sulfur Falls
4x Steam Vents
3x Wooded Foothills
2x Island
2x Mountain

Sideboard-
2x Ancient Grudge
3x Combust
2x Counterflux
1x Dispel
2x Spell Pierce
1x Relic of Progenitus
2x Threads of Disloyalty
1x Electrolyze

I have no idea what alternatives (budget or otherwise) for this deck, I already have most of this, I just need to get 3 more snaps and some of the cheaper, obscure cards. What do goons think?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Hello, here is a standard something I put together on the spur of the moment. Someone tell me why this is a horrible deck and what would make it not horrible.

Deck: BW Deathless Warriors

//Lands
4 Caves of Koilos
8 Plains
8 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Spells
2 Brave the Sands
2 Dictate of Erebos
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Utter End

//Creatures
3 Athreos, God of Passage
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Chief of the Scale
3 Grim Haruspex
4 Oreskos Swiftclaw
3 Timely Hordemate

Display deck statistics

Personal musings.

1. Cut Sorin/something else for Spirit Bonds?

2. Cut Sorin/something else for more Brave the Sands'?

3. Cut something for something else I am stupidly overlooking?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alris posted:

Hello, here is a standard something I put together on the spur of the moment. Someone tell me why this is a horrible deck and what would make it not horrible.

Deck: BW Deathless Warriors

//Lands
4 Caves of Koilos
8 Plains
8 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Spells
2 Brave the Sands
2 Dictate of Erebos
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Utter End

//Creatures
3 Athreos, God of Passage
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Chief of the Scale
3 Grim Haruspex
4 Oreskos Swiftclaw
3 Timely Hordemate

Display deck statistics

Personal musings.

1. Cut Sorin/something else for Spirit Bonds?

2. Cut Sorin/something else for more Brave the Sands'?

3. Cut something for something else I am stupidly overlooking?

Depends what you want to do with it. Here is my version:

4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
7 Plains
7 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

4 Bloodsoaked Champion
2 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Tormented Hero
4 Chief of the Edge
3 Chief of the Scale
4 Oreskos Swiftclaw
3 Seeker of the Way
1 Athreos, God of Passage

4 Ajani's Presence
4 Oppressive Rays
1 Spear of Heliod
1 Ajani Steadfast
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

I don't really like Brave the Sands because vigilance doesn't mean much for the deck, and your premier 1 drop can't block anyway. My deck is just more aggressive, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BXCX posted:

What would you slot the Drums in over? I know the deck isn't that great, I'm looking for something that can 2-2 since I'd rather wait and see how the meta shakes out before I start investing in a T1/1.5 deck to run through the rest of Theros block in standard. I have whatever's left of monogreen devotion pre-M15 but I missed out on opening any Nissas in draft and don't have any available to borrow, otherwise I'd probably head in that direction.

I would probably take out the Juggernauts and a Lightning Strike or Shrapnel Blast for them. (Or just stick with 3 Drums.)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Polymorphists jest may be IS fun.

Fixed that for you.

This card is really a beating against most decks. I've baited so many alpha strikes with Rabblemasters only to have them die horribly to ELVES! It also combos incredibly well with Setessan Tactics in a UG build....AND IT KILLS GODS! Remember that indestructible is a keyword ability that goes away now! It also lets you kill Sarkhan with an elf. The card is ridiculous right now and no one knows it was printed.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Fixed that for you.

This card is really a beating against most decks. I've baited so many alpha strikes with Rabblemasters only to have them die horribly to ELVES! It also combos incredibly well with Setessan Tactics in a UG build....AND IT KILLS GODS! Remember that indestructible is a keyword ability that goes away now! It also lets you kill Sarkhan with an elf. The card is ridiculous right now and no one knows it was printed.
I've tried brewing up a deck with 4 Circle of Flames and 4 Jests. I sort of think it could work but the only card that can recursion from the graveyard right now is nyx weaver? Unless I missed archeomancer reprinting in m15.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Korak posted:

I've tried brewing up a deck with 4 Circle of Flames and 4 Jests. I sort of think it could work but the only card that can recursion from the graveyard right now is nyx weaver? Unless I missed archeomancer reprinting in m15.

Restock from M15. It lets you get two of'em back. :v:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Korak posted:

Restock?

e:fb

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AlternateNu posted:

Restock from M15. It lets you get two of'em back. :v:
5 mana at sorcery speed is a LOT to pay in one turn... but Temur colors does have some great finishers right now... Jest seems like an awesome card.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

AlternateNu posted:

I would probably take out the Juggernauts and a Lightning Strike or Shrapnel Blast for them. (Or just stick with 3 Drums.)

Playetested it in between modern rounds last night and it was better than squid tribal but still pretty bad, the Juggers rarely did anything so they're probably fine cuts for Springleaf drums if I stick with it. On the other hand, I'm thinking if I want Scoots to be a thing, I might as well stick to what I was already running pre-rotation, so I came up with this:

Deck: GR Devotion to Scoots McGoots

//Lands
11 Forest
5 Mountain
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Bow of Nylea
4 Chord of Calling
3 Crater's Claws
1 Xenagos, the Reveler

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Genesis Hydra
1 Hornet Queen
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
3 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Rattleclaw Mystic
4 Scuttling Doom Engine
4 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

Display deck statistics

I would enjoy a Nissa or two and some extra copies of the Xenagos Bros, but i have all of this on hand or borrowable.

BXCX fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 1, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Korak posted:

Scouring Sands also works. I've been brewing along a similar line trying to make Keranos Control happen. I drafted Keranos + Thassa in Cube a lot lately and it's absolutely bonkers, I want to make it work in Standard. There are a few double red permanents worth running, the new Phoenix comes to mind, but very few double Blue. It seems awkward to run this with no prospect of making the gods into creatures, but meh, it might work with them just as enchantments of awesome.

EDIT: Also Return to the Ranks if you're going to go full Jeskai about it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Scouring Sands also works. I've been brewing along a similar line trying to make Keranos Control happen. I drafted Keranos + Thassa in Cube a lot lately and it's absolutely bonkers, I want to make it work in Standard. There are a few double red permanents worth running, the new Phoenix comes to mind, but very few double Blue. It seems awkward to run this with no prospect of making the gods into creatures, but meh, it might work with them just as enchantments of awesome.

EDIT: Also Return to the Ranks if you're going to go full Jeskai about it.

Circle of Flame is generally better just because it is an enchantment and not a sorcery. So, you don't need 5 mana to pull off the combo. Just wait until they attack.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AlternateNu posted:

Circle of Flame is generally better just because it is an enchantment and not a sorcery. So, you don't need 5 mana to pull off the combo. Just wait until they attack.

True, but it depends on the rest of the deck. I was looking to trigger Prowess, which the Sorcery is better for later in the game.

That said, I agree Circle of Flame is great with the aggro decks running around, so many 1 or 2 toughness creatures even before Polymorphist Shenanigans.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Thrown together this controlly-ish Sultai deck and absolutely loving the options.

Deck: Sultai Test

//Lands
4 Forest
4 Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Swamp
4 Temple of Malady
4 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
4 Murderous Cut
2 Silence the Believers
4 Stubborn Denial
3 Sultai Ascendancy
4 Sultai Charm
3 Villainous Wealth

//Creatures
4 Icefeather Aven
4 Rakshasa Deathdealer
4 Sagu Mauler
4 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
1 Sultai Ascendancy
1 Villainous Wealth
4 Curse of the Swine
4 Death Frenzy
2 Silence the Believers
3 Icy Blast

Display deck statistics

Icefeather Aven is one of my favourite creatures in the set, honestly - I love how versatile he is.
Rakshasa Deathdealer is like a new version of Reaper of the Wilds, another card I rather adored.
Sagu Mauler just appeals to me for unknown reasons - but I make him work in this, and he's a very quick way to win once control is established.

Thoughts are of course appreciated! I've been dicking around with this online. Running into -lots- of decks built around the WBR archetype, with Crackling Doom and Butcher of the horde being the two most annoying cards there, especially with Rabblemaster to poop out crappy goblins that can be fed endlessly to the Butcher.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

DarkDobe posted:

Thrown together this controlly-ish Sultai deck and absolutely loving the options.

Deck: Sultai Test

//Lands
4 Forest
4 Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Swamp
4 Temple of Malady
4 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
4 Murderous Cut
2 Silence the Believers
4 Stubborn Denial
3 Sultai Ascendancy
4 Sultai Charm
3 Villainous Wealth

//Creatures
4 Icefeather Aven
4 Rakshasa Deathdealer
4 Sagu Mauler
4 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
1 Sultai Ascendancy
1 Villainous Wealth
4 Curse of the Swine
4 Death Frenzy
2 Silence the Believers
3 Icy Blast

Display deck statistics

Icefeather Aven is one of my favourite creatures in the set, honestly - I love how versatile he is.
Rakshasa Deathdealer is like a new version of Reaper of the Wilds, another card I rather adored.
Sagu Mauler just appeals to me for unknown reasons - but I make him work in this, and he's a very quick way to win once control is established.

Thoughts are of course appreciated! I've been dicking around with this online. Running into -lots- of decks built around the WBR archetype, with Crackling Doom and Butcher of the horde being the two most annoying cards there, especially with Rabblemaster to poop out crappy goblins that can be fed endlessly to the Butcher.

Drown in Sorrow takes care of rabbles and tokens quite well, and is good against mono black and red. I'd try and fit in coursers if you can. And I'm not sure you have enough 4 power all the time dudes for 4 stubborn denials.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Mini-deck trip report: The Jest + Circle of Flames idea works better than I thought it would. Probably still tier 2 or some kind of surprising sideboard package for a URx deck. Circle of Flames goes on the stack, you polymorph the board and lots of things die or at 5 mana you poly on your turn and kill everything. My third game with it I killed 6 things including a 2 caryatids, 1 polukranos, 2 coursers, and mystic.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Korak posted:

2 caryatids

How did your opponent get around Defender with them?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

bhsman posted:

How did your opponent get around Defender with them?
Killed on my turn. Used the Scour Sands spell.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Korak posted:

Killed on my turn. Used the Scour Sands spell.

Gotcha; pretty clever.

theCops
Aug 13, 2004
I'm thinking about putting dictate of erebos in a butcher of the horde + goblin rabblemaster + brimaz shell, with some tempo swings and hand disruption. The basic idea is turn 5-7 you pump the butcher, which also would wipe your opponent's board with indirect removal that gets around hexproof and indestructible. Plan B is removal, burn, removal, burn, burn with eventually drawing into a harness by force, swing with their creatures, sac them to butcher, say go.

For removal, it would be lightning strike, stoke the flames, murderous cut, hero's downfall, thoughtsieze, despise, mardu charm, crackling doom, deicide/banishing light/chained to the rocks, etc. No shortage of answers to things like Sarkhan in main deck. So, would throwing athreos/purphoros in the mix make it super punishing, or would that be a little too christmas land, even in sideboard?

Something like:

Creatures (12)
4x Butcher of the Horde
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Brimaz, King of Oreskos

Spells (21)
2x Searing Blood
3x Lightning Strike
2x Crackling Doom
3x Stoke the Flames
1x Hero's Downfall
1x Murderous Cut
2x Thoughtseize
1x Despise
2x Mardu Charm
2x Harness by Force
2x Banishing Light

Enchants (3)
3x Dictate of Erebos

Land (24)
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3x Caves of Koilos
3x Battlefield Forge
2x Temple B/W
2x Temple R/B
2x Temple R/W
2x B/W/R Tapland
3x B/R Fetch
2x Plains
2x Mountain
2x Swamp

Sideboard (15)
3x Deflecting Palm (burn)
2x Ride Down (monsters)
2x Bile Blight (tokens, ramps)
2x Anger of the Gods (aggro)
2x Drown in Sorrow (aggro)
2x Deicide (gods)
1x Purphoros, God of the Forge
1x Athreos, God of Passage

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Here's where I"m at with this u/g/x villianous thing

Deck: Villiainous Devotion

//Lands
10 Forest
4 Island
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Swamp
2 Temple of Malady
2 Temple of Mystery
1 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
3 Villainous Wealth
2 Dictate of Karametra
3 Polymorphist's Jest

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Prognostic Sphinx
2 Kruphix, God of Horizons
2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
3 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Sylvan Caryatid

Display deck statistics

I think the numbers are about right. I want to test Kruphix in a 2/2 split with K-Dictate. Any thoughts on a generalized sideboard? I'm thinking arbor colossus and Mistcutter.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
It's similar to what a few people are building right now: a variation/update on a B/R token deck from Ravnica/Theros, though yours is the first to include Dictate of Erebos (I had considered it but it feels a little too cute for how much it costs, but Butcher could make it work). There's a similar list on the first page, as well as one in my avatar text if you want some comparisons.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Posting over here too, the results from the GCC tournament are in: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8230&f=ST

First place went to a Blue/Artifact deck. Its weird, on paper the deck doesn't look like it should work, but it play tests really nice.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Nice to see a 17 Mountain deck place, although I do wonder how many people played in that tournament.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Mono Black aggro

I have been play-testing this deck basically every other day at my lgs for the past 3 weeks. Its a very strong deck that unfortunately has serious issues with sideboard/mainboard hate of anger of the gods and drown in sorrows. In the right field where hate against you is light, (in order to fight the midrange heavy meta) the deck has a chance to have a strong showing.

//Lands
22 Swamp

//Spells
2 Bile Blight
4 Boon of Erebos
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Herald of Torment
4 Mogis's Marauder
4 Pain Seer
4 Spiteful Returned
4 Tormented Hero

//Sideboard
SB: 3 Hall of Triumph
SB: 4 Pharika's Cure
SB: 2 Bile Blight
SB: 4 Dark Betrayal
SB: 2 Hero's Downfall

Some things I have learned.

Hero's downfall just doesn't fit maindeck. Your turn 3 is too precious and I wasn't finding I was getting enough value out of the card when it was played on turn 3 or beyond. Every time I had it in my hand I wished I had boon of erobos instead. Switching to boon has made the deck more aggressive and more flexible at killing blockers and stifling single target removal.

Mardu skullhunter also appears to be lackluster in the deck. Often I found myself unable to drop him on turn 2 due to wanting to drop 2x one drops or pain seer instead. Turn 3 usually has its own better plays and turn 4 is just too late to make this card shine. In those situations where you don't have anything better to do on turn 2 while still being a stong turn 4 play spiteful returns just plays the role better.

I am still debating dropping a land since the deck curve has gotten a little lower. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the halls in the sideboard and the strength of bestow has on the board.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Murderous Cut + swapping 9 swamps for fetchlands + urborg seems like an option to consider.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So what's a good sideboard for Jeskai Tempo in terms of playing the mirror? I'm 100% sure that there will be a few other people playing a similar deck and I want to make sure I don't get hosed by my own stuff. Here's what I have so far:

4 Negate (to counter every problem spell, especially sweepers and planeswalkers)
3 Banishing Light (primarily for planeswalkers but also for big dumb stuff like Siege Rhino and Butcher)
1 Gods Willing (in case I need more)
2 Magma Spray (for aggro and mana dorks. I already maindeck 2)
3 Fated Conflagration (I am terrified of planeswalkers more than anything and I want them to die)
2 Deicide (there are still people running gods and I need to be ready for them)

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jabor posted:

Murderous Cut + swapping 9 swamps for fetchlands + urborg seems like an option to consider.

Sure, lets talk about why I think this just doesn't look to be very good

1. Murderous cut + pain seer
2. Even with fetchlands and playing against someone with heavy early removal, murderous cut doesn't get value early enough. Its going to be a dead card in hand TOO often to be viable.

• Locked thread