Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm testing ideas for a g/w list for the Atlanta open, skyrider elf seems good though. I'm not a fan of raptor in this deck, I like the more synergistic aggressive cards instead, it's just too grindy. Managorger hydra is insane if left alone. I'm going to be trying undergrowth champion myself, in a 23 land version with 8 fetches.

I also think evolutionary leap can be nuts like you mentioned so I'm trying it. Great synergy with servant and walker. I'm curious how your testing goes to find out if adding blue is worth it or if the manabase ends up hurting things. Anafenza seems hard to cast turn 2.

3 Avatar of the Resolute
4 Den Protector
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Hidden Dragonslayer
2 Managorger Hydra
4 Servant of the Scale
4 Skyrider Elf

4 Hardened Scales
1 Evolutionary Leap

3 Dromoka's Command
2 Stubborn Denial
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Valorous Stance

2 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
4 Flooded Strand
4 Forest
1 Island
1 Lumbering Falls
1 Plains
2 Prairie Stream
4 Windswept Heath
3 Wooded Foothills

Did some goldfishing and you guys were right. Anafenza is way too difficult to cast for the deck even with good draws. So, she was cut. I also cut a Managorger Hydra and all three Deathmist Raptors. The Hydra is the perfect finisher once you're set up, but they're dead too often early game. Raptors will go in the sideboard for super controlling decks that can't deal with them coming back.

In their place, I put in 2 Hidden Dragonslayers (since more removal is nice and it is a good lightning rod for people who will assume it is Den Protector), a 4th Servant of the Scale, an Evolutionary Leap, and a 23rd land.

Speaking of lands, I went in more on fetches by removing a couple forests for Wooded Foothills. They also help fuel Cruises.

Despite what it may look like, the deck can be fairly slow, but its power ramps so high turns 3 and 4 that you can easily get turn 4 or 5 kills.

The best play is easily turn 1 Scales into turn 2 Skyrider Elf as a 3/3 flier. Dodges Wild Slash, evades Hangarback Walkers, and goes toe-to-toe with Mantis Riders on the draw. Card is guuuuuud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

AlternateNu posted:

3 Avatar of the Resolute
4 Den Protector
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Hidden Dragonslayer
2 Managorger Hydra
4 Servant of the Scale
4 Skyrider Elf

4 Hardened Scales
1 Evolutionary Leap

3 Dromoka's Command
2 Stubborn Denial
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Valorous Stance

2 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
4 Flooded Strand
4 Forest
1 Island
1 Lumbering Falls
1 Plains
2 Prairie Stream
4 Windswept Heath
3 Wooded Foothills

Did some goldfishing and you guys were right. Anafenza is way too difficult to cast for the deck even with good draws. So, she was cut. I also cut a Managorger Hydra and all three Deathmist Raptors. The Hydra is the perfect finisher once you're set up, but they're dead too often early game. Raptors will go in the sideboard for super controlling decks that can't deal with them coming back.

In their place, I put in 2 Hidden Dragonslayers (since more removal is nice and it is a good lightning rod for people who will assume it is Den Protector), a 4th Servant of the Scale, an Evolutionary Leap, and a 23rd land.

Speaking of lands, I went in more on fetches by removing a couple forests for Wooded Foothills. They also help fuel Cruises.

Despite what it may look like, the deck can be fairly slow, but its power ramps so high turns 3 and 4 that you can easily get turn 4 or 5 kills.

The best play is easily turn 1 Scales into turn 2 Skyrider Elf as a 3/3 flier. Dodges Wild Slash, evades Hangarback Walkers, and goes toe-to-toe with Mantis Riders on the draw. Card is guuuuuud.

This deck looks sweet and I'm only missing 1 hydra and 3 scales from this list. I'll probably be putting this together for this weekend.

I'd be interested in any tweaks you make to the main deck and what a decent side board might be.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is the elf really that good? It's A 3/3 flyer for 3

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is the elf really that good? It's A 3/3 flyer for 3

It is an always on-curve flier that gets to be noticeably above curve with Scales out. Remember, X can be zero and it comes out as a 2/2 flier on turn 2. Or it can be a 5/5 for 4 on turn 4 with Scales. With everyone playing Hangarback and Rhinos, flexible fliers are really loving good right now.

DarkRider09 posted:

This deck looks sweet and I'm only missing 1 hydra and 3 scales from this list. I'll probably be putting this together for this weekend.

I'd be interested in any tweaks you make to the main deck and what a decent side board might be.

I tweaked the mana base again. -2 Flooded Strands, +1 Wooded Foothills, +1 Forest. There were too many instances holding dead Avatars in my hand.

As for the sideboard, this is my current draft:
1 Cinder Glade
3 Deathmist Raptor
2 Disdainful Stroke
1 Dragonlord Dromoka
1 Dromoka's Command
1 Kiora, Master of the Depths
1 Negate
1 Ojutai's Command
2 Radiant Flames
2 Stratus Dancer

Radiant Flames against faster weenie decks with a second Cinder Glade to go with it. A 4th Dromoka's Command, and a bunch of cards to deal with control decks where I'll probably taking the Scales and Servants out.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

AlternateNu posted:

It is an always on-curve flier that gets to be noticeably above curve with Scales out. Remember, X can be zero and it comes out as a 2/2 flier on turn 2. Or it can be a 5/5 for 4 on turn 4 with Scales. With everyone playing Hangarback and Rhinos, flexible fliers are really loving good right now.

I dunno dude that sounds like something someone would say RE: draft but in standard I just think there are better cards to be playing. i don't do well in magic tho so keep that in mind.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Hardened Bant

1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
3 Avatar of the Resolute
3 Deathmist Raptor
4 Den Protector
4 Hangarback Walker
3 Managorger Hydra
3 Servant of the Scale
4 Skyrider Elf

3 Dromoka's Command
2 Stubborn Denial
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Valorous Stance
4 Hardened Scales

2 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
4 Flooded Strand
6 Forest
1 Island
1 Lumbering Falls
1 Plains
2 Prairie Stream
4 Windswept Heath

Everything costs <=3 with the exception of bigger Skyrider Elves and bad Treasure Cruises. Despite that, I get to beat face until the opponent dies with Skyrider Elf being the lynchpin of the deck since there will be so many fliers in the new meta. The major point is that each creature is good on its own and just becomes ridiculous with Scales out.

The mana base is obviously a work in progress. Though, I'm still debating whether I need drop forests for Yavimaya Coast just for mana consistency's sake.

Other cards I'm considering:
Undergrowth Champion - Everyone is bonkers about this card, but only running 22 lands makes it a shaky top deck. And it is best when blocking which I don't plan on doing much of.
Evolutionary Leap - Keeps me from running out of gas against removal-heavy decks. And has neat synergy with Servant of the Scale.
Endless One - If I was going heavier into 4 or 5 color, I would definitely have 4 of these in just to have another reliable creature. I'm not sure how good on-curve (or vanilla above-curve) drops are in the format.

Gonna be trying someting very similar but G/W only with retreat to kazandu

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Before I start working on the OP for the next version of the thread, does anyone have any suggestions for what I should put in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
NEW THREAD UP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744659

• Locked thread