Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

After experiencing difficulties regarding my temur manabase, I have decided to go to my favourite deck, green devotion.

This one has a splash of red for Xenagos and Crater's Claws as a alternative wincon.

Deck: GR Devotion

//Lands
11 Forest
3 Mountain
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Temple of Abandon
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Bow of Nylea
4 Crater's Claws
3 Nissa, Worldwaker
3 Xenagos, the Reveler

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
2 Genesis Hydra
2 Hornet Queen
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
4 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr

//Sideboard
3 Arbor Colossus
2 Reclamation Sage
3 Setessan Tactics
3 Nylea's Disciple
2 Plummet
1 Hornet Queen
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I was trying to think of some other aggro options for standard and came up with this boros list:

4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Seeker of the Way
4x War-name Aspirant
4x Goblin Rabblemaster

4x Titan's Strength
4x Lightning Strike
2x Coordinated Assault
2x Ride Down

1x Spear of Heliod
2x Ajani Steadfast

4x Battlefield Forge
4x Mana Confluence
6x Mountain
7x Plains

No sideboard but it'll probably be more ride downs and similar stuff to the red aggro sideboards. I wish i could make an aggro deck as good as the selesnya aggro from last standard but in order to make a comparable curve with comparable power cards I'd have to run three colors and that just doesn't go well with aggro.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You could probably splash a third colour pretty easily since you're already running mana confluence - +4 fetchlands +1 basic gives you 9 sources of that third colour without compromising the existing manabase substantially.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I was trying to think of some other aggro options for standard and came up with this boros list:

4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Seeker of the Way
4x War-name Aspirant
4x Goblin Rabblemaster

4x Titan's Strength
4x Lightning Strike
2x Coordinated Assault
2x Ride Down

1x Spear of Heliod
2x Ajani Steadfast

4x Battlefield Forge
4x Mana Confluence
6x Mountain
7x Plains

No sideboard but it'll probably be more ride downs and similar stuff to the red aggro sideboards. I wish i could make an aggro deck as good as the selesnya aggro from last standard but in order to make a comparable curve with comparable power cards I'd have to run three colors and that just doesn't go well with aggro.

If you're running rabble master, I think Akroan Hoplite is good, as he synergises with the token production.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

You could probably splash a third colour pretty easily since you're already running mana confluence - +4 fetchlands +1 basic gives you 9 sources of that third colour without compromising the existing manabase substantially.

I've thought quite a bit about splashing black to top out with butchers and a sorin. Honestly picking any two of those colors and splashing a third works probably, but the black splash provides the better top end, and the better cards in R/W are better on the bottom of the curve. I'll probably come up with another list with that in mind as well, I just want to avoid all the taplands when considering aggro.

Mondrian posted:

If you're running rabble master, I think Akroan Hoplite is good, as he synergises with the token production.

Not a bad suggestion but I'm not sure I value him over the other two drops. The seeker would probably be a consistent 3 with some lifelink to boot, and war name is almost always going to be 3 power that slips past caryatids, which is super relevant currently.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 7, 2014

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Not sure what a Sorin would do in a deck with only like four creatures. I like Zurgo because he basically is 7 damage that HAS to be answered or they die very quickly. He frequently is, but you just put more of him out.

He's mostly an ult on a stick, typically a player will scoop as soon as you ult him if they're in any strategy that plays creatures, and the ult happens really fast. If you can drop him onto an empty board it's fairly trivial to protect him unless they go for the Downfall, which is a Downfall they aren't using on Elspeth. Still testing him, though, he might just win-more, but I'm frequently wanting for win-cons. Maybe Zurgo is just better in this regard but I don't like the idea of him just getting chumped forever (though he does play amazingly well with End Hostilities to solve that problem).

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Samael posted:

After experiencing difficulties regarding my temur manabase, I have decided to go to my favourite deck, green devotion.

This one has a splash of red for Xenagos and Crater's Claws as a alternative wincon.

//Lands
11 Forest
3 Mountain
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Temple of Abandon
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Bow of Nylea
4 Crater's Claws
3 Nissa, Worldwaker
3 Xenagos, the Reveler

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
2 Genesis Hydra
2 Hornet Queen
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr

//Sideboard
3 Arbor Colossus
2 Reclamation Sage
3 Setessan Tactics
3 Nylea's Disciple
2 Plummet
1 Hornet Queen
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Display deck statistics

Do you find yourself needing/able to cast more than one Hornet Queen? I've been happy with one mainboard as a one-of but I could be persuaded to go up one. Here's my list, which started out at a Scuttling Doom Engine list, even though I want him to be great I don't think it's gonna happen. I think I like your sideboard better, a buddy talked me out of cutting Mistcutter Hydra but I still don't know enough about the general meta to know for sure they're still a thing like they were when monoU devotion was a thing.

Deck: Gr Devotion to Scoots McGoots

//Lands
12 Forest
4 Mountain
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Bow of Nylea
4 Chord of Calling
3 Crater's Claws
1 Xenagos, the Reveler

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Genesis Hydra
1 Hooded Hydra
1 Hornet Queen
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Polukranos, World Eater
1 Reclamation Sage
3 Rattleclaw Mystic
2 Scuttling Doom Engine
1 Soul of New Phyrexia
4 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

//Sideboard
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Arbor Colossus
3 Circle of Flame
3 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Nylea's Disciple
2 Reclamation Sage
1 Soul of Zendikar

Display deck statistics

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

odiv posted:

Building a random RUG (or Temur) standard deck for Game Day. I'm going to be on vacation in a smallish city with probably not a crazy competitive Magic scene. I'm fine playing not a pro tour top 8 deck. I just want something I can pilot well that has a decent shot of winning games vs. random opponents.

I might just end up going back to Green Devotion if this doesn't work out as I have most of the pieces for that. This deck is suffering so far because I haven't been able to get my hands on some stuff (notably Wooded Foothills, Nissa and Sarkhan) and probably won't be able to by game day. Here's what I have so far:

Deck: RUG Mauler

//Lands
7 Forest
4 Frontier Bivouac
3 Island
1 Mana Confluence
3 Mountain
2 Temple of Abandon
2 Temple of Mystery
2 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
2 Icy Blast
2 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
1 Mindswipe
3 Temur Charm
2 Xenagos, the Reveler

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Genesis Hydra
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
3 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Rattleclaw Mystic
2 Sagu Mauler
1 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

Display deck statistics

Just after playing the little that I have I'm thinking Stubborn Denial might be worth putting in instead of Icy Blast to protect my fatties once they're out. Also, do I just throw a couple of Treasure Cruises in there maybe? After switching from G Devotion it feels that these Genesis Hydras might be too slow to come out, but it's still really nice to play one for 4 or 5 and flip a Planeswalker or Stormbreath Dragon.

I'm trying out the Maulers because immunity to most removal is really nice and I want to live the dream of playing one on Turn 3 with Elvish and Rattleclaw Mystics. Maybe it's not worth it? I only have the two Sagu Maulers and the two Rattleclaw Mystics right now. I can probably fill out the playsets by Game Day though.

edit:
Deckbox link: https://deckbox.org/sets/782134
Deckstats link: http://deckstats.net/decks/23353/137428-rug-mauler

edit2: Oh hey, just acquired a Nissa.

Hey Temur buddy! :buddy: Some thoughts on your deck.

-Treasure Cruise isn't going to be worth it in your deck, because you're not going to enable the delve very well. Unless you have a board wipe and can delve away your graveyard.
-Stormbreath is ridiculously good. Get more of 'em. Soaring past Mantis', blocking Mantis', avoiding white removal; all good in these Jeskai and Abzan heavy environments.
-I'm not sure how useful Kiora is going to be for you. You have a lot of mana dorks and her -1 might not be anything other than good draw. If you can't get more Dragons, then they actually might be useful for Mantis'!
-I'm not sure about Mindswipe. Temur Charm is amazing and fine at 3 of.

I use Lightning Strike in my Deck but was thinking of trying Icy Blast. How is it treating you?

Here's the deck I'm running. Been pretty successful so far.

Deck: Temur

//Lands
3 Forest
2 Mountain
3 Yavimaya Coast
1 Temple of Mystery
4 Temple of Abandon
2 Shivan Reef
3 Wooded Foothills
2 Temple of Epiphany
2 Mana Confluence

//Spells
2 Temur Charm
2 Crater's Claws
3 Lightning Strike
3 Xenagos, the Reveler
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

//Creatures
3 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Rattleclaw Mystic
4 Boon Satyr
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Savage Knuckleblade
1 Sagu Mauler

//Sideboard
3 Circle of Flame
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Disdainful Stroke
3 Prognostic Sphinx
2 Back to Nature
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Magma Spray

Display deck statistics

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Samael posted:

//Lands
11 Forest
3 Mountain
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Temple of Abandon
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Bow of Nylea
4 Crater's Claws
3 Nissa, Worldwaker
3 Xenagos, the Reveler

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
2 Genesis Hydra
2 Hornet Queen
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr

//Sideboard
3 Arbor Colossus
2 Reclamation Sage
3 Setessan Tactics
3 Nylea's Disciple
2 Plummet
1 Hornet Queen
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Display deck statistics

I'm convinced that Genesis Hydra is the bees' knees in these decks and you want four. It's how you leverage your mana advantage into card advantage. I'd probably move the bow to the sideboard and cut a crater's claws for the other two hydras. Speaking of bees, Hornet Queen is the best. Keep those. A lot of decks just can't deal with it, and it at the very least buys you time to start doing utterly stupid things with your mana.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Deckit posted:

Hey Temur buddy! :buddy: Some thoughts on your deck.

-Treasure Cruise isn't going to be worth it in your deck, because you're not going to enable the delve very well. Unless you have a board wipe and can delve away your graveyard.
-Stormbreath is ridiculously good. Get more of 'em. Soaring past Mantis', blocking Mantis', avoiding white removal; all good in these Jeskai and Abzan heavy environments.
-I'm not sure how useful Kiora is going to be for you. You have a lot of mana dorks and her -1 might not be anything other than good draw. If you can't get more Dragons, then they actually might be useful for Mantis'!
-I'm not sure about Mindswipe. Temur Charm is amazing and fine at 3 of.

I use Lightning Strike in my Deck but was thinking of trying Icy Blast. How is it treating you?

Here's the deck I'm running. Been pretty successful so far.

Thanks for your thoughts.
- Yeah, I haven't put Treasure Cruise in, just looking for an excuse. Thanks for the reality check.
- I'll keep an eye out for Stormbreaths, but chances are I can't get another before Game Day (unless I buy one for $42 at my LGS, ha)
- Yeah, you might be right about Kiora. I've been keeping her in and hoping she does something, but... You're right that she shuts down a Mantis Rider or Herald of Torment while I'm getting my act together. That's probably not good enough, but I don't know.
- Mindswipe has already been swapped out for Nissa.
- Temur Charm has been great and I haven't needed Icy Blast because of it so Icy Blast has been underwhelming. It could be it just hasn't seen the right match up. When I'm facing down large creatures on the other side of the board then I might have problems. I've got Magma Spray in the sideboard right now, but haven't considered Temur Charm (I should really add a sideboard to my post). Thinking about swapping in Stubborn Denial in for Icy Blast, but that might be dumb. I'm thinking there will be plenty of times they're casting a morph on Turn 3 and I have an extra mana up because my Mystics and Caryatids didn't quite line up optimally.
- How's the Mauler working out? I'm looking for reasons to keep him.

Green Devotion Talk:

I run one Hornet Queen in the main and one in the board. I run one Arbor Colossus in the main and another one or two in the board.

Does no one run Chord of Calling? I found it super useful to dig for my Reclamation Sage, Phyrexian Revoker, Nylea, or her Disciple exactly when I needed them.

Crater's Claws seems like a good finisher. Is Windstorm a decent sideboard option vs/in addition to Plummet? Too bad about BTE leaving.

odiv fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 7, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Hornet Queen is a card that a surprising number of decks just have no good way of dealing with if you resolve it. If they're not running Anger of the Gods or Drown in Sorrow, it utterly stonewalls them, pecks away at their life total or planeswalkers and gives you time to do even more stupid things with your massive mana.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I have 4x Courser and 4x Caryatid. Is there a budget version of Abzan Midrange that will work without buying 4 elspeths? If I decide to pick either black or white to pair with the green instead of both, which would you recommend? I think I have a playset of Nykthos too. If I can't get Junk or either GB or GW to work I guess I can do GR.
Edit--I guess what I'm asking is what a budgetish shell around those two cards would look like. They're obviously not the only cards I have but I would like to build around them.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 7, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This is probably close to what I am going to play at states this weekend. Sideboard still feels janky but I imagine I will tweak it more during play this week.

Deck: Jeskai backdeck

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
2 Flooded Strand
2 Island
3 Mountain
2 Plains
3 Shivan Reef
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
2 Banishing Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Dig Through Time
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
4 Stoke the Flames

//Creatures
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Mantis Rider
4 Seeker of the Way

//Sideboard
4 Disdainful Stroke
4 Deflecting Palm
4 Anger of the Gods
2 Negate
1 Narset, Enlightened Master

Display deck statistics

There has been quite a bit of variation in Jeskai over the passed few weeks but this appears to be the version I enjoy the most. The magma jets just keep having decent targets early and the scry (with the 8 temples) seems to make this deck very consistent. Its still up in the air though because so many cards can fit in that slot.

I am finding the following cards to be where I am having a hard time finding what is the correct cards for.

2x Chandra
2x Sarkhan
4x Magma Jet

In those spots I have tried varies things like ashcloud phoenix, stormbreath dragon, titans strength, gods willing, and each have their own synergy or uses it seems really hard to choose. The rest the deck seems to solid its hard to even consider modifying.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 7, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sharzak posted:

I have 4x Courser and 4x Caryatid. Is there a budget version of Abzan Midrange that will work without buying 4 elspeths? If I decide to pick either black or white to pair with the green instead of both, which would you recommend? I think I have a playset of Nykthos too. If I can't get Junk or either GB or GW to work I guess I can do GR.
Any two-color version is going to be a completely different deck. Half the reason you're going three colors is to run Siege Rhino and the other half is being able to use green to ramp into big threats like Elspeth while having spot removal from black available. You could probably get away with running 2 Elspeth, but I would want at least that many. And you probably want Ajani, Mentor of Heroes as well. Add in the mana base and it's just not a very budget-friendly deck if you don't already have the theros-block staples.

Nykthos doesn't belong anywhere near 3 color decks

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

odiv posted:

Green Devotion Talk:

I run one Hornet Queen in the main and one in the board. I run one Arbor Colossus in the main and another one or two in the board.

Does no one run Chord of Calling? I found it super useful to dig for my Reclamation Sage, Phyrexian Revoker, Nylea, or her Disciple exactly when I needed them.

Crater's Claws seems like a good finisher. Is Windstorm a decent sideboard option vs/in addition to Plummet? Too bad about BTE leaving.

I run Chord as a 4-of, mostly because my deck has a lot of fun-ofs since I don't take standard all that seriously. It's decent in that context since it's not the most difficult thing to crank out tons of mana to chord for a Soul of New Phyrexia and still have enough mana left to activate it. They do synergize very poorly with lots of Genesis Hydras though since that makes 3-4 less things to Chord into and ups your chance of whiffing on the Hydra. If I were more serious about standard and had infinite money available I'd probably switch them out for some combination of 2-3 Nissas and more Xeangoses. I've liked Craters Claws a lot, with Courser it's very likely that they know you have one in hand so it's hard to take them by surprise, but I do love sandbagging one that I kept in the opening hand and burning the one they know about early so they think they're in the clear.

Entropic posted:

Hornet Queen is a card that a surprising number of decks just have no good way of dealing with if you resolve it. If they're not running Anger of the Gods or Drown in Sorrow, it utterly stonewalls them, pecks away at their life total or planeswalkers and gives you time to do even more stupid things with your massive mana.

That's interesting, do you think it's worth two in the main or one main one SB?

Also, has anyone tried Hall of Triumph in the green devotion deck? It would be nice for my Caryatids to survive anger and for my Mystics not to die chumping goblin tokens. I already have Bow of Nylea taking up the 3 drop no board impact spot and I like the utility and devotion pump more than +1/+1 so it's been keeping that off my radar.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Entropic posted:

Any two-color version is going to be a completely different deck. Half the reason you're going three colors is to run Siege Rhino and the other half is being able to use green to ramp into big threats like Elspeth while having spot removal from black available. You could probably get away with running 2 Elspeth, but I would want at least that many. And you probably want Ajani, Mentor of Heroes as well. Add in the mana base and it's just not a very budget-friendly deck if you don't already have the theros-block staples.

Nykthos doesn't belong anywhere near 3 color decks

I agree. I'm considering this deck as well and don't feel like getting two more Elspeths (I regret selling my foil over the summer). I'm toying with Resolute Archangel. I feel like that card will find a home at some point, either in control or as a topper in something slow that doesn't want Hornet Queen (or needs to make up for a lot of life loss). I'll probably throw one in my Reanimator build for that reason.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Sharzak posted:

Edit--I guess what I'm asking is what a budgetish shell around those two cards would look like. They're obviously not the only cards I have but I would like to build around them.

The Gb Devotion/Constellation deck that was running around for a little bit could be fun, Doomwake Giants are cheap for now (they've been getting some mtgfinance buzz recently) and Eidolon of Blossoms are around 2 bucks, throw in some Fonts of Fertility for cheap (monetarily) fixing and an assortment of good enchantment creatures and you'll be wiping boards and drawing cards all day. You'd end up being really sad about Back to Nature though, but I've been told that nobody is running that in their sideboard.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BXCX posted:

The Gb Devotion/Constellation deck that was running around for a little bit could be fun, Doomwake Giants are cheap for now (they've been getting some mtgfinance buzz recently) and Eidolon of Blossoms are around 2 bucks, throw in some Fonts of Fertility for cheap (monetarily) fixing and an assortment of good enchantment creatures and you'll be wiping boards and drawing cards all day. You'd end up being really sad about Back to Nature though, but I've been told that nobody is running that in their sideboard.

I'm running reclamation sages and polis crushers in my sideboard of GR monsters, mostly because they fit the plan and I can flip into them with Genesis Hydra. If I wasn't using the hydra, I'd consider cards like destructive revelry and/or back to nature etc.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This U/R Counterburn deck seems really sweet but do I need to build a THIRD Standard deck right now?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/248079

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

jassi007 posted:

I'm running reclamation sages and polis crushers in my sideboard of GR monsters, mostly because they fit the plan and I can flip into them with Genesis Hydra. If I wasn't using the hydra, I'd consider cards like destructive revelry and/or back to nature etc.

I forgot about Polis Crusher, a buddy at my LGS runs a UW deck that's whole removal suite is Banishing Light, Suspension Field and Brain Maggot and his beaters are Master of the Feast and Herald of Torment. Back to nature was already crushing his dreams but I don't mind having a chordable dude that's immune to his whole gameplan.

Boco_T posted:

This U/R Counterburn deck seems really sweet but do I need to build a THIRD Standard deck right now?

I want to see Prognostic Sphinx be a thing but I'm sad that Delve means that Spellheart Chimera can't be a thing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BXCX posted:

I forgot about Polis Crusher, a buddy at my LGS runs a UW deck that's whole removal suite is Banishing Light, Suspension Field and Brain Maggot and his beaters are Master of the Feast and Herald of Torment. Back to nature was already crushing his dreams but I don't mind having a chordable dude that's immune to his whole gameplan.

I want to see Prognostic Sphinx be a thing but I'm sad that Delve means that Spellheart Chimera can't be a thing.

Yeah, someone was playing a gy reanimator using nyx weaver and nighthowler amoung other things. It was pretty good, but he had no answer to a Polis Crusher. He tried to block it, he was not pleased to find it not only destroys enchantments it is pro enchantment. His 16/16 nyx weaver bestowed with nighthowler was impotent, lost his night howler and then continued to just dismantle him.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BXCX posted:

That's interesting, do you think it's worth two in the main or one main one SB?

Also, has anyone tried Hall of Triumph in the green devotion deck? It would be nice for my Caryatids to survive anger and for my Mystics not to die chumping goblin tokens. I already have Bow of Nylea taking up the 3 drop no board impact spot and I like the utility and devotion pump more than +1/+1 so it's been keeping that off my radar.

I think any green devotion deck that has no trouble getting to seven mana should have at least one Hornet Queen in the main and probably at least 2 in total. It's good when you're winning and want to apply more pressure (6 power in the air!); it's amazing when you're losing and need to stabilize; it's good in on a stalled board; it's good basically any time other than your first 3-4 turns when you can't cast it yet, which is why you probably don't want a full 3 or 4 since an opening hand with 2 Hornet Queens is bad.

Hall of Triumph seems a bit cute, I don't think green really needs it. If you're going wide enough for it to matter, you're probably winning anyway. There's cute interactions like how it makes Hornet Queen way more lethal, but I'd rather have another creature that helps me ramp and survive long to cast the Hornet Queen in the first place. You want all your permanents to feed your devotion to green as well, which Hall doesn't.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

BXCX posted:

I'm still generally mad that Lightning Strike and Anger of the Gods mean that Spellheart Chimera can't be a thing. Although I guess if you have 4 Stubborn Denials you can probably do a Spellheart deck now.

Would the card have been more playable if it was 2UR and had 4 toughness?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Boco_T posted:

I'm surprised it isn't running Winterflame though.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Boco_T posted:

Yes, you do. This poo poo is cheap.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Boco_T posted:

This looks extremely awesome. This could be a well-positioned deck right now couldn't it? Or is it too lacking in answers to resolved fatties? It looks like you could really struggle with weenie strategies, seems like it could use a little more Burn and a little less Counter.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I totally forgot Perilous Vault was a thing, I think I thought it was in M14.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm not sure if I want to build this counter-burn deck or flip these Temple of Epiphany's.

If I can trade for the Anger's I guess I'll build the deck since everything else I need is pretty cheap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Would a Crater's Claws be a poor addition to that deck?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Would a Crater's Claws be a poor addition to that deck?

You might as well just run Heat Ray, there's nothing in the deck to turn on Ferocious.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Entropic posted:

You might as well just run Heat Ray, there's nothing in the deck to turn on Ferocious.

Heat Ray can't hit players, Crater's Claw can.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How's Hooded Hydra working out for you anyway? I'd run it in Gr devotion, but then I'd be tempted to do something cute like have Purphoros, God of the Forge or Life's Legacy or something in there.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Crater's Claws probably isn't a bad idea.

I almost don't like the Evolving Wilds, but they do help with the delvings.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Would it be worth running a couple of off-colour fetches to help with Delve, or is that too taxing on the life total? I'm not sure if you can reasonably go up to 4 Wilds, but it seems like it could use a little more Delve help.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Boco_T posted:

Part of me wants to build this and fit in some Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and 2-3 copies of Empty the Pit while I'm at it. :v:

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
So, for SCG states next week I'm trying to build a R/G monsters deck that approaches things just a bit different. I'm aiming for a more red/burn-centric aggressive list. I'm opting to skip the usual green ramp package in favor of the mystics helping me to get just a slew of threats a turn ahead of the curve while having burn to provide a way to control the board or end the game quickly after a the board get's too gummed up.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-10-14-uff-rg-monsters/

4x goblin rabblemaster
3x fanatic of xenagos
4x elvish mystic
2x boon satyr
3x polukranos, world eater
4x rattleclaw mystic
3x stormbreath dragon
1x xenagos, god of revels

3x xenagos, the reveler
1x bow of nylea
1x chandra, pyromaster
4x craters claw
1x fated conflagration
3x Lightning strike

8x mountain
7x forest
4x temple of abandon
4x wooded foothills

SB:
1x anger of the gods
1x arc lightning
1x bow of nylea
1x circle of flames
3x destructive revelry
1x fated conflagration
3x magma spray
2x setessan tactics
2x stoke the flames

Any opinions or suggestions?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Typhus733 posted:

So, for SCG states next week I'm trying to build a R/G monsters deck that approaches things just a bit different. I'm aiming for a more red/burn-centric aggressive list. I'm opting to skip the usual green ramp package in favor of the mystics helping me to get just a slew of threats a turn ahead of the curve while having burn to provide a way to control the board or end the game quickly after a the board get's too gummed up.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-10-14-uff-rg-monsters/

4x goblin rabblemaster
3x fanatic of xenagos
4x elvish mystic
2x boon satyr
3x polukranos, world eater
4x rattleclaw mystic
3x stormbreath dragon
1x xenagos, god of revels

3x xenagos, the reveler
1x bow of nylea
1x chandra, pyromaster
4x craters claw
1x fated conflagration
3x Lightning strike

8x mountain
7x forest
4x temple of abandon
4x wooded foothills

SB:
1x anger of the gods
1x arc lightning
1x bow of nylea
1x circle of flames
3x destructive revelry
1x fated conflagration
3x magma spray
2x setessan tactics
2x stoke the flames

Any opinions or suggestions?

Heir to the wilds? deathtouch bear that gets a bonus when you slam polukranos, stormbreath, or fanatic. Nobody wants to block him, so he'll get in several hits help get them into burn range quicker.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Before I get to posting my decklist, I'd just like to note that yes, I'm absolutely looking for advice. However, I'm not so much looking for a better deck as I am looking for a deck that does what I want this deck to do better.

What this deck wants to do is buy heavily into the whole Abzan pseudo-slivers thing. It's meant to be a bit tempo-y, setting up a good boardstate without having to over-extend on creatures while being able to get rid of my opponent's big threats and ignore their smaller ones until I'm ready to start swinging in.

---

//Lands
1 Caves of Koilos
2 Forest
1 Mana Confluence
5 Plains
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
2 Swamp
2 Temple of Malady
3 Temple of Silence
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abzan Ascendancy
2 Abzan Charm
2 Banishing Light
4 Feat of Resistance
2 Hardened Scales
2 Retribution of the Ancients
2 Utter End

//Creatures
2 Abzan Falconer
2 Ainok Bond-Kin
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
1 Athreos, God of Passage
1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
1 Fleecemane Lion
2 Gurmag Swiftwing
2 Herald of Anafenza
1 High Sentinels of Arashin
2 Mer-Ek Nightblade
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Phalanx Leader
1 Siege Rhino

//Sideboard
SB: 4 Despise
SB: 3 Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
SB: 2 Banishing Light
SB: 3 Duneblast
SB: 3 Hero's Downfall

---

The deck's for Standard FNM.

I am on a budget, but I also have a trade binder with some good stuff outside of the colors I play (I don't ever play red, for example, so any multi-colored Jeskai, Temur, or Mardu cards go right in the binder), so there's a good chance I can get my hands on things that are suggested as long as they're not insanely priced (so fetches are pretty much out).

So far in testing I've seen very few opening hands that I've been unhappy with in the non-boarded version. I've had to mull the boarded version more often.

I don't really want Erebos in the deck. He hasn't done much work. He never turns into a creature and while the card draw is nice in a pinch, my mana is being put to better use most of the time. I want to replace him with Ajani, Mentor of Heroes, but I don't have any and no one's had any for trades yet.

The sheep don't really fit the counters theme, but once they have some on them, they do a shocking amount of work. 1/6 flying deathtouch is nothing to gently caress with. And the incidental life gain is useful. The two red aggro decks I played against got shut down hard and fast by these guys.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the Gurmag Swiftwings and replacing them with another Mer-Ek Nightblade and another Abzan Falconer.

The sideboard is meant to turn the deck more control-y. It's also meant to convert my wincon from "assemble a legion of Psuedo-slivers" to "Get Nixilis on the board and then blow everything else up. Preferably with an Abzan Ascendancy, Hardened Scales, Athreos, or any combination of them on the board"

Comments and advice are appreciated.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Yeah, it seems to me that Gurmag Swiftwings are limited fodder, primarily for enabling Raid triggers on turn 3.
You've already got Ainok Bond-Kin in to give First Strike, so it's redundant to have a creature in whose sole purpose is to be a first-striker that gets +1/+1 counters from elsewhere.

Maybe replace them with more High Sentinels of Arashin? They're still pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Adder Moray posted:

Before I get to posting my decklist, I'd just like to note that yes, I'm absolutely looking for advice. However, I'm not so much looking for a better deck as I am looking for a deck that does what I want this deck to do better.

What this deck wants to do is buy heavily into the whole Abzan pseudo-slivers thing. It's meant to be a bit tempo-y, setting up a good boardstate without having to over-extend on creatures while being able to get rid of my opponent's big threats and ignore their smaller ones until I'm ready to start swinging in.

---

//Lands
1 Caves of Koilos
2 Forest
1 Mana Confluence
5 Plains
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
2 Swamp
2 Temple of Malady
3 Temple of Silence
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abzan Ascendancy
2 Abzan Charm
2 Banishing Light
4 Feat of Resistance
2 Hardened Scales
2 Retribution of the Ancients
2 Utter End

//Creatures
2 Abzan Falconer
2 Ainok Bond-Kin
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
1 Athreos, God of Passage
1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
1 Fleecemane Lion
2 Gurmag Swiftwing
2 Herald of Anafenza
1 High Sentinels of Arashin
2 Mer-Ek Nightblade
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Phalanx Leader
1 Siege Rhino

//Sideboard
SB: 4 Despise
SB: 3 Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
SB: 2 Banishing Light
SB: 3 Duneblast
SB: 3 Hero's Downfall

---

The deck's for Standard FNM.

I am on a budget, but I also have a trade binder with some good stuff outside of the colors I play (I don't ever play red, for example, so any multi-colored Jeskai, Temur, or Mardu cards go right in the binder), so there's a good chance I can get my hands on things that are suggested as long as they're not insanely priced (so fetches are pretty much out).

So far in testing I've seen very few opening hands that I've been unhappy with in the non-boarded version. I've had to mull the boarded version more often.

I don't really want Erebos in the deck. He hasn't done much work. He never turns into a creature and while the card draw is nice in a pinch, my mana is being put to better use most of the time. I want to replace him with Ajani, Mentor of Heroes, but I don't have any and no one's had any for trades yet.

The sheep don't really fit the counters theme, but once they have some on them, they do a shocking amount of work. 1/6 flying deathtouch is nothing to gently caress with. And the incidental life gain is useful. The two red aggro decks I played against got shut down hard and fast by these guys.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the Gurmag Swiftwings and replacing them with another Mer-Ek Nightblade and another Abzan Falconer.

The sideboard is meant to turn the deck more control-y. It's also meant to convert my wincon from "assemble a legion of Psuedo-slivers" to "Get Nixilis on the board and then blow everything else up. Preferably with an Abzan Ascendancy, Hardened Scales, Athreos, or any combination of them on the board"

Comments and advice are appreciated.

Cut the swiftwings for a start, and I'm not sure how much Phalanx leader actually does for you with so few heroic enablers. I'd go up to 4 falconers and 4 high sentinels if you can. I would also try and go up to 4 charms/ascendencies and I don't really think Hardened Scales is playable outside of limited or a +1 counters edh deck. You are also a little lacking in green sources. Erebos, Fleecemane, and Brimaz don't really fit the abzan feel for the deck but Brimaz is a really good card, and a monstrous fleecemane does benefit for the outlast lords. I would look at Reap What Is Sown which is a nice heroic enabler and with the outlast lords could give you a blowout against someone in combat.

• Locked thread