Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
you can post here if you've read books and therefore are smarter and better than most people. for example, i read a thomas pynchon book. i also read a david foster wallace book and ulysses. so you can see, i'm better than most people will ever be. feel free to talk about the books you've read, or also you can post if you think you're better than me and i'll tell you why you're wrong. you're also welcome to post if you haven't read books because that means you're living a comically empty life and we can laugh at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
crime and punishment is a pretty good book OP you should read it

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
every important piece of literature i've read has been 100% a waste of time and utterly meaningless within the context of my life

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
i like douglas hofstadter and i prefer tolkien's nonfiction

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i take it back mark twain wrote friend of the family a lot and it was pretty subversive

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think kids should be forced to read The Great Gatsby because it tells us that all success and popularity is built upon lies and ruthlessly crushing those around you, that ultimately no one will love you for who you are but only what you give them and that the little guy never wins

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Secondly they should be forced to read Huck Finn because it's funny

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard changed my life.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I actually sat down one time and read an Ann Coulter book in the library just to see why she was so popular and it destroyed my faith in humanity.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

curiously on the corpse.

Harime Nui posted:

Secondly they should be forced to read Huck Finn because it's funny

the three things everyone should be forced to read are huck finn, 1984 and 'pierre menard, author of the quixote'

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i unironically read a michael savage book and agreed with it when i was a teenager

gently caress i was so stupid

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read War and Peace and bring it up in conversation as often as possible knowing that few if any of the people around me have or will read it in their lifetimes.

I could just make poo poo up about stuff that's in it for any situation and people wouldn't know.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 28, 2014

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but you should definitely check out A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

logical phalluses posted:

the three things everyone should be forced to read are huck finn, 1984 and 'pierre menard, author of the quixote'

the wiki page on the last is a real treat

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Hissing Butt posted:

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but you should definitely check out A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

YOu may as well just skip Martin and go stragiht to the source, Tolstoy's War and Peace, instead. Martin's literal inclusion of dragons comes across as very lacking in subtlety compared to Tolstoy's French army.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
atlus shrugged

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

stoutfish posted:

atlus shrugged

the fat rippled

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

curiously on the corpse.

The Hissing Butt posted:

ok, well, you've just proven yourself to be an idiot. go post about infantile fantasy trash in the book barn. this is a thread for people who've read books that are intellectually important and who are therefore quantifiably better people as a result.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4fjMhGn-I

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the giver

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.
Gilgimesh pieces were the best.

I've read both bibles, the quran, the sustenance of life.

it's all the same story.

Maybe it's better we are ignorant, you know?

jesus is which, a zeus son. Made from the ashes of a sad woman. A turtle.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

stoutfish posted:

atlus shrugged

or not, since Tolstoy was an actual Russian and spent hundreds of pages in War and Peace detailing the struggle of the Captains of Industry to innovate and make their lives better only to be held back by the unintellectual peasants. The country estates that many charactres escape to is the inspiration of galt's glutch.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

If someone made a book about jesus as a turtle, well you got a best seller there.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ColdReaches posted:

Gilgimesh pieces were the best.

I've read both bibles, the quran, the sustenance of life.

it's all the same story.

Maybe it's better we are ignorant, you know?

jesus is which, a zeus son. Made from the ashes of a sad woman. A turtle.

Instead of Mesopetanian comicbooks you could read War and Peace. THe brotherly bound in the Russian army is much better conveyed than gilgamesh and enkido.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Slaughterhouse Five taught me to live for the moments.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

great for grade 6, grown ups should consider War and Peace as an actual literary challenge. The naive and theatric Russian society before the crushing reality of Napolen's invasion is a much stronger arguement against the innocence in society

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Professor Shark posted:

great for grade 6, grown ups should consider War and Peace as an actual literary challenge. The naive and theatric Russian society before the crushing reality of Napolen's invasion is a much stronger arguement against the innocence in society

oh look, it's the motherfwiggin law of fives

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

amityville anus posted:

Slaughterhouse Five taught me to live for the moments.

I think that Pierre's experiences in War and Peace better encapsulate the affect of war on the human psyche

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 28, 2014

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Harime Nui posted:

I think kids should be forced to read The Great Gatsby because it tells us that all success and popularity is built upon lies and ruthlessly crushing those around you, that ultimately no one will love you for who you are but only what you give them and that the little guy never wins

Wait they stopped forcing kids to read that book?

Also Holden Caufield is a bitch and would be sitting around cussing at Call of Duty all day in 2014.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2014

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I think that Pierre's experiences in War and Peace better encapsulate the affect of war on the human psyche

Hell no. Pierre's experience was other worldly. He was totally detracted from it and sort of supermanish. Now,the Rostov son, that guy was the normal experience. He had signs of PTSD, and he Tolstoy describe how rostov liked the simplicity of a battle field.

Professor Shark posted:

Grown ups should consider War and Peace as an actual literary challenge. The naive and theatric Russian society before the crushing reality of Napolen's invasion is a much stronger arguement against the innocence in society

War and peace is not a literal challenge, it is a great soap opera with with a lot of essays squeezed in. It's easy to read, just crunch out a two to five of the under 3 thousand word chapters a night and you will be finished within a year.

The crushing reality of the Napolen's invasion was hilarious, at all at once all the rich people in moscow were like...WHAAAAAT FUUUUUUCK! I gatta get the gently caress out of here now! And they loaded up so much of their world goods on carts it was like a hillbilly cartoon where the hick family would move in one shot on their cart.

Tolstoy is always mocking Napoleon, like history painted him as this great conqueror and Tolstoy was no "no you dumb fucks. It's the arm and how they work." Like history painted the burning down of moscow as this great plan. Hell no, moscow was loving wood that would light on fire at the slightest aggravation. Napolen's arm loving didn't know that poo poo and when they were cooking and smoking they lit tons of house on fire all at once.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 28, 2014

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

I read a bunch of garbage crap for retards

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The House of the Dead taught me that prison gays existed even in 19th century Russia.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Corey Plumper posted:

I read a bunch of garbage crap for retards

but enough about mcsweeney's

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
The Bible.

It taught me to surrender my will to Jeezo and accept him into my heart. I now live for him alone and my life is filled with meaning as I glorify God.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Gatsby is actually a terrible book and Fitzgerald was a terrible author, This Side of Paradise being even worse.

Tolstoy better displayed the social climber in War and Peace with Pierre's first wife who lures Pierre in, takes advatnge of his position in the social hieracy, and ultimarely uses it to leverage a better marriage before dying from abortion complications

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
May'naise Sandwiches & Sunshine Tea by Sandra Belton

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Snow Crash has a street smart hacker samurai who likes thrash metal so it basically shows the path to enlightenment.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

Instead of Mesopetanian comicbooks you could read W&P. THe brotherly bound in the Russian army is much better conveyed than gilgamesh and enkido.

Sandskirt people were better artists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Hell no. Pierre's experience was other worldly. He was totally detracted from it and sort of supermanish. Now,the Rostov son, that guy was the normal experience. He had signs of PTSD, and he Tolstoy describe how rostov liked the simplicity of a battle field.

poo poo you're right, it was the cooler rich kid and the lamer "rich" kid that experienced war better than Proto-Goon-Pierre.

I like how in War and Peace Alexander (?) falls off his horse and the enemy is shooting at him and he's like "Hey, why are we doing this? Don't they know I'm a really nice guy who's popular?"

• Locked thread