Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmm
good
bad
i'm not funny
View Results

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Zoe posted:

hey the op changed the poll after everyone already voted, I call shenanigans.

nah franco did I think, I guess it was a public service announcement

he's a good man :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zoe posted:

hey the op changed the poll after everyone already voted, I call shenanigans.

also I just got up, is everything dead yet?

my cats still seem ok

They may be the last sustenance you ever get. May I suggest a lemon and white wine sauce?

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Unironically believe that ebola going airborne will save humanity in the long run

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
Life...ah...finds a way to ah...die

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
It's the fate of all living things to die, and the fate of all species to go extinct.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
GOKU!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Parallax Scroll posted:

maybe animals should invent some poo poo

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I'm going to miss all the animals. But I also look forward to the challenges of the new Dune/Road Warrior hellscape we will be forced to live in.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I don't get how global warming is causing so many things to die off, should life be flourishing now that there's more light and warmth? I mean it should be simple: More light and warmth >> More plants >> More food for herbivores >> More food for carnivores

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Yaldabaoth posted:

I don't get how global warming is causing so many things to die off, should life be flourishing now that there's more light and warmth? I mean it should be simple: More light and warmth >> More plants >> More food for herbivores >> More food for carnivores

because we have dropping world wide temps, in america the democratic part of congress is in charge of distributing federal funds to universities for scientific research. Since it's an issue they use for votes they pay people to blame global warming on everything, most warming scientist are essentially doctors paid to say smoking is good.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Yaldabaoth posted:

they think climate change is actually responsible for less than 10% of the dieoffs according to a chart on the guardian article about this. it's mostly just plain old habitat destruction

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's more from destruction of ecosystems for farming and logging, pollution and all that.

Also, this is loving depressing: http://xkcd.com/1338/

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

because we have dropping world wide temps, in america the democratic part of congress is in charge of distributing federal funds to universities for scientific research. Since it's an issue they use for votes they pay people to blame global warming on everything, most warming scientist are essentially doctors paid to say smoking is good.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

skeletonotherkin posted:

Shine on you crazy diamond.

global warming was created by al gore a politician all is findings were found to be false, every time this happens a new study is released then trumped up by universities. Most politicians who support green energy give companies they have stock in federal loans make a profit then let the companies fail after the ceo get a golden parachute. Remember they had to come up with something that sounds sensational and sciency sounding because one of democrats biggest voting blocks is the un educated and the average american adult has less than a 3rd grade understanding of the sciences. Democrats are also the retards who will give governments infinite tax increases if they think the money goes somewhere that makes them feel warm and fuzzy. good racket infinite taxes and tighter control over a chunk of voters.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Torka posted:

they think climate change is actually responsible for less than 10% of the dieoffs according to a chart on the guardian article about this. it's mostly just plain old habitat destruction

They should stop being lazy and just adapt, seriously look at deer and raccoons and grackles, they're doing just fine, what's everything else's excuse?

I dunno maybe we should start forcing endangered animals to wear boots so they can pull themselves up by the straps...oh wait i guess they'd need opposable thumbs for that, lol I guess any non-monkeys are hosed

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
This is probably the right thread to say this...

If you are vegan, or even just against factory farming, then gently caress you.

Human grain and vegetable crops take up a lot more land area, and that is what is sending species into extinction. If you don't eat meat for moral reasons, then you also have a moral duty to slow down the destruction of diversity of life on this planet. This means we need to source our food from the densest source of kilojoules per hectare, and that is factory farming.

By not eating factory farmed beef and chickens, you are killing orangutans.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I read a Michael Chrichton book one time that laid out in detail how global warming was a lie.

I know he's not a scientist or anything but the man reads a lot of science-y things and was all into DNA before it was cool (dinosaurs were always cool he gets no props for that) so I'm just going to trust he knows what he's talking about.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Zoe posted:

I read a Michael Chrichton book one time that laid out in detail how global warming was a lie.

I know he's not a scientist or anything but the man reads a lot of science-y things and was all into DNA before it was cool (dinosaurs were always cool he gets no props for that) so I'm just going to trust he knows what he's talking about.

:pwn: golly

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

monkey posted:

This is probably the right thread to say this...

If you are vegan, or even just against factory farming, then gently caress you.

Human grain and vegetable crops take up a lot more land area, and that is what is sending species into extinction. If you don't eat meat for moral reasons, then you also have a moral duty to slow down the destruction of diversity of life on this planet. This means we need to source our food from the densest source of kilojoules per hectare, and that is factory farming.

By not eating factory farmed beef and chickens, you are killing orangutans.

I wonder what all those cows, chickens and other animals eat to get all nice and fat?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Pawn 17 posted:

I wonder what all those cows, chickens and other animals eat to get all nice and fat?

corn mixed with ground up chicken and cow.

escalator incident
Oct 1, 2005

Sorry for the convenience.
Fun Shoe

Al Nipper posted:

The last baby bird dies, roasting on the windowsill of the hermetically sealed, temperature controlled pleasure dome.

The young girl sees this and begins to weep, and is quickly slapped by the meaty paw of an oil tycoon before he lifts his gut and crams his shriveled micro-cock into her mouth.

Looking upon the wasteland, he violently cums before dying of a heart attack, leaving the girl weeping by the window.

Her well-manicured hands trace the corpse of the last baby bird through the window.

With a voice choked by tears and ejaculate, she delivers a eulogy fit for a species:

"im gay..."

same

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

global warming was created by al gore a politician all is findings were found to be false, every time this happens a new study is released then trumped up by universities. Most politicians who support green energy give companies they have stock in federal loans make a profit then let the companies fail after the ceo get a golden parachute. Remember they had to come up with something that sounds sensational and sciency sounding because one of democrats biggest voting blocks is the un educated and the average american adult has less than a 3rd grade understanding of the sciences. Democrats are also the retards who will give governments infinite tax increases if they think the money goes somewhere that makes them feel warm and fuzzy. good racket infinite taxes and tighter control over a chunk of voters.

Most people here are well aware that your a troll.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

quote:

The climate scientists (at NASA's Goddard Space Center, the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, our universities, etc.) are using an incorrect model. Talking about .2 degree rise in heat per decade,blah, blah, blah. That is a model from the 1970s. Scientists are really not that smart as independent intellects, and most are trapped in old-fashioned thermodynamic computer modeling systems. Like generals fighting the last war. (Or the current one!) And they are concerned about rises in sea level. Another old model. What really matters are two other changes, both (just for a little poetic irony at the climate scientists' expense!) related to COLD not HEAT: First, the cooling of the stratosphere (which is connected with the warming of the troposphere), which will create extraordinary and unprecedented convection currents between the two layers of the atmosphere that will result in storms greater in strength than anything experienced on earth in the past two million years. They will be hurricane-like in nature, but far, far greater in force than a hurricane. We're talking about winds hundreds of miles an hour in speed and with the force of bombs going off on everything in their path.

The second major change will be a precipitously rapid and nearly complete cessation of the current systems of the North Atlantic (the technical term for this is a cessation of the North Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation System), affected by decreases in ocean water salinity and its concomitant buoyancy/density (which will decrease due to the influx of non-salty water into the north Atlantic as the polar ice cap melts), accompanied by a radical diminishment of the thermal circulatory effect of the north polar heat sink. With only brief and comparatively minor fluctuations -- much more minor than will take place in the very near future -- this system has powered the Northern Atlantic part of the so-called Global Thermohaline Circulation System and moderated the winters throughout Europe and Asia Minor as far as the Urals and North America east of the Rockies for more than two million years.

Both of these changes will have been caused by increases in temperature, of course, but they will have results that are much more radical and far-reaching -- much more catastrophic -- than merely raising the temperature of the atmosphere a few degrees or the height of the ocean levels a few meters. In fact, those things -- the things the climate scientists are currently predicting -- are ridiculously trivial in comparison with the changes I am describing. The next major event will be the melting of the north polar ice cap, which will precipitate a major change or complete cessation of the North Atlantic currents (the slowing of the Gulf Stream will be part of this process, but what I am describing will be much more widespread than that and will involve other current systems throughout the Atlantic and particularly the North Atlantic). Both events (the atmospheric and the oceanic) will precipitate a series of devastatingly strong thunderstorms, tornados, and hurricanes with unprecedented wind speeds, duration, and violence, which will not only destroy buildings, power systems, and much of the industrial and agricultural infrastructure in the Northern latitudes, but will radically and irrevocably change the climate. The result will be--are you ready for this? you better brace yourself--a new Ice Age. Coming on with incredible rapidity. (The gradualism of that event that we were taught in school is another computer modeling error.) Followed by..... well, I'll leave the rest to your imagination in terms of crops and harvests and growing seasons.... Or, to put it in other words:

Quantos tremor est futurus
Quando judex est venturus...
Dies irae, dies illa,
Solvet seculum in favilla.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Pawn 17 posted:

Factory chickens eat chicken poo poo and growth hormones if you believe PETA.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Way to be serious in GBS, D&D is that way. Also I love your new avatar.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

skeletonotherkin posted:

Way to be serious in GBS, D&D is that way. Also I love your new avatar.

:D

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

great movie

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
with any luck we'll eliminate all our salient competition, leaving us truly at "the top of the heap"

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

99.9% of all species that have ever existed are extinct.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
long hair dont care

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
I really need an answer on who this John Galt guy is???

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

overfishing owns

rain forest deforestation owns

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.
nature will rebound. Plague 2.0 is currently in the beta stage with a full release expected next year.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
There's studies of apes forming warbands, and crows/rats are pretty much on chimp level, if not higher. once humanity owns itself they'll fill the power gap

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
i thought this thread would be about fall :(

e: isn't solving the fish stock problem as simple as 'fish less for awhile'

because if it is i can't think of anything more retarded than not fishing less for awhile

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Pretty astonishing that everything that tastes bad and isn't useful or cute is dying. I would argue that fish and whales and monkeys and poo poo should be saved, but I don't think I'll care if tree frogs die out or some poo poo.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
it's almost as if the majority of people don't understand the concept of a food web.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tsinava posted:

it's almost as if the majority of people don't understand the concept of a food web.

this sounds like wishy washy liberal feel good bullshit like "the circle of life"

like lmao yeah i'm sure we're alllllll connected in a loving gay rear end "web" hahaha. if you're an obama-voting retard maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

Unironically euthanize all wild animals, ban meat consumption and pet ownership

make all biomass high quality homo sapien imo

that is also gay

• Locked thread