Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VPFKnBYOSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
:firstpost:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"We want all these Windows 7 users to have the sentiment that yesterday they were driving a first-generation Prius... and now with Windows 10 it's like a Tesla."

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
10 is 2 in binary, op

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Did they really try to do windows 1, and realized that 1.0 screenshots on yospos would make us mad so they just but a 0 behind it?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
it is to make up the difference for calling the 3rd XBox the XBox One.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Windows X is my favourite apple OS

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wouldn't be surprised if there was some marketing schlub whose hobby horse was appending all microsoft products with 'one' to present a unified front, but lost a lot of clout with the xbox one tanking

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

pagancow posted:

Did they really try to do windows 1, and realized that 1.0 screenshots on yospos would make us mad so they just but a 0 behind it?

lmao i was wondering what all these photos were with the potatoes in the upper left. i thought those were potatoes like it was some kind of meme added onto it

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

lmao i was wondering what all these photos were with the potatoes in the upper left. i thought those were potatoes like it was some kind of meme added onto it

source your quotes

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i would call it windows 7 2

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

they passed on the number that wouldn't sell in Germany and chose the one that would sell in France ;-*

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

poty posted:

i would call it windows 7 2

Windows 7: A realm reborn.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

because 7 8 9 hhahahahahah

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

still looks like poo poo and full of advertising bullshit

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Windows 69

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

but enough of youure posting

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
this was literally an april fools joke until it wasnt

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

lol

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.

Mr.Radar posted:

PissWhisk
Oct 12, 2012

quackers

Mr.Radar posted:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
One product family. One platform. One store. Windows, I don't know, eleven

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
they could have turned it up to 11, but only went to 10

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'm the spinning disk on that guys finger at 0:38

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

10 is 2 in binary, op

its 9 in octal

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

xbox one, windows 10... I don't think microsoft can count.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
yes please make more threads about this

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Prodigal T-REX posted:

its 9 in octal

no it isn't, 10 is 8 in octal

10 is 9 in uh, nonal?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

two is one and one is none

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

makes sense. I think we should all be thankful they didn't knuckle under to what must have been significant pressure from marketing.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

makes sense. I think we should all be thankful they didn't knuckle under to what must have been significant pressure from marketing.

https://searchcode.com/?q=if%28version%2Cstartswith%28%22windows+9%22%29

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i call sorta-bs. afaik none of the functions in the windows api or .net return a string like that

and besides you could just call it "windows nine" and be done with it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

WHat programs work fine on windows 1/2/3.1/xp/7/8 but not windows 95/98/me?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

marketing probably wanted windows 11 to outdo apple

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

i call sorta-bs. afaik none of the functions in the windows api or .net return a string like that

and besides you could just call it "windows nine" and be done with it

i don't know anything about programming but i've read read lots of "the old new thing" blog by raymond chen and if i've learned one thing about programming is that most programmers are lovely idiots so it seems plausible to me

the amount of articles on that blog that go "here's this herculean thing we had to do because otherwise everything would break" is mind boggling

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i mean look at this

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2007/07/27/4072156.aspx

quote:

But why did the programmers choose to use the foreground window anyway?

One possibility is the programmer's version of the politician's fallacy.

We must pass a window.
The foreground window is a window.
Therefore, we must pass it.

Another possibility is that they did this on purpose in order to ensure that their error message steals focus. Because their program is the most important program in the history of mankind.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2006/02/16/533250.aspx

quote:

Programs were discouraged from rejecting the suspend operation without receiving confirmation from the user, although this was not enforced because a program might have a legitimate need to fail the suspend silently. What would that legitimate need be? Who knows, but maybe there is one out there, and Windows was being flexible enough to allow for that possibility.

As Huat Chye Lim pointed out over on the Windows Mobile PC Team Blog, the result of this was that everybody considered themselves to be one of these "exceptional" cases that didn't need to get user confirmation before rejecting a suspend request. Ultimately, the result was that for many users, the suspend command simply never worked. Programmers were trusted to do the right thing, and they abused that trust.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2003/09/03/54760.aspx

quote:

In IE, we gave programmatic access to the Favorites menu, and once again, programs spammed themselves into it.

In Windows XP we intentionally did not give programmatic access to the bold list of items at the top of the Start menu (the "pin list"). The pin list is for users to put their favorite icons. It is not the place for a program to decide unilaterally, "I am so cool. I am your favorite icon. I just know it. So I'll put myself there because, well, I'm so cool."

Because we knew that the moment we let people mess with the pin list, everybody would install themselves into it and it would become meaningless (and annoying).

What's particularly galling are the programs that, as part of their install, decide that they are so cool they want to be everywhere to make sure you don't miss out on the coolest most amazing program ever written in the history of mankind, so they go into the Start menu, into the Fast items, onto the desktop, into the Quick Launch, onto your Favorites, take over as your default autoplay handler, and even hang out as an icon next to the clock on the taskbar just in case you somehow missed all those other places - and each time you run them, they go and recreate those icons and settings in case you "accidentally lost them".

and this is just after a 5 minute search

programmers are awful

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

i don't know anything about programming but i've read read lots of "the old new thing" blog by raymond chen and if i've learned one thing about programming is that most programmers are lovely idiots so it seems plausible to me

the amount of articles on that blog that go "here's this herculean thing we had to do because otherwise everything would break" is mind boggling

that's why i said sorta-bs. i don't doubt it's possible. apparently the java sdk does do something like the op says for example (not a java guy but that's the code example i did see in this discussion). just, afaik, nothing in the win32 api or .net framework do that

to be more specific, no api as far as i know exists that returns a string like 'windows 95', all the functions that return os information do it encoded as major & minor version, so when you want to see if you are on win7 for example you look for 6 major 1 minor iirc

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

that last one drives me nuts. i deleted your stupid startup entry in the registry for a reason, dammit :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

10 is 2 in binary, op

They were going for octal and screwed that up too.

• Locked thread