Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

We will get to the bondage priestesses by the end of the novel. I really think a lot of people forget what this first book contains, because while it's not as DISGUSTING as later novels, there is a whole lot of "what the christ were you thinking".

Yeah I had completely forgot about the book beyond it being blandly generic fantasy, until the mention of bondage priestesses and then it all came back....:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Was this the one that they made a rather mental tv series out of?

Yes, it was like if you took Hercules and Xena and stripped out all the self awareness.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I might be confusing the book (I only read the first one) and the TV show, but wasn't there a lot about the confessors enslaving men with their magick womanly powers?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Sotar posted:

To be fair the Boxes of Orden are a pretty bad gamble. 2 out of the 3 is a bad result for you.

Only if you're not a generically evil bad-guy for whom destroying all life isn't your back up plan.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Wasn't Giller supposed to be trying to redeem himself for betraying Zedd or something, and doesn't that mean he died without anyone knowing what he did.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Apparently, selling your services like Giller did for the queen is taboo for wizards. Except, he secretly did it to protect the Box from Dark Roll. He's 100% a better person than every other adult human in these books, and he dies pointlessly near the beginning of the whole series.

I only read the first book, and I remember feeling pretty bad about Giller. Did anyone ever know what he did and why?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Zereth posted:

Why can't Zedd change his beard into one which is not connected to his body anymore? He can turn a loving bug into a flower, and he can turn a rock into dust.

But he can't magic his beard off his face! :pseudo:

Or why did he need Richard's knife, couldn't he just magic the rock into an razor?

Or for that matter, couldn't he just magic his beard into knives and then just leave them laying around.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

What was the deal with him concentrating on her braid?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

:bravo:

This whole thread was just a setup for that one line wasn't it. Well played sir. Well Played.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I touched on it some in the post, but it's because her philosophy is basically that the powerful and privileged deserve to be thus. You preach something that the powerful and privileged can use to justify their own advantages, and you can bet they'll latch onto it. On the other end, it also provides a convenient explanation for why you're still the Ubermensch even if you work at a 7-11 or pushing carts: Those jealous fuckers are all teaming up to keep you down! It either allows an adherent to justify their advantaged position, or to explain why they're still an amazing superman even if they are not where they want to be, due to the conspiracy of the parasites and the small.

I guess it's irony that The Wizard's First Rule applies directly to objectivism, "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything".

Or maybe we've got Goodkind all wrong and this series is actually an elaborate critique of objectivism. :psyboom:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Let's get into something REALLY dumb.

Chapter 13: THERE ARE SISTERS OF THE DARK TOO

Seriously, I ought to just leave it there. It's the entire point of the thing and they're just unabashedly evil. But since this chapter goes on so long, let's look at what our unnamed Sister Black does. (The entire chapter is from her perspective, and nobody ever calls her anything but "Sister".) First off, she has apparently just killed a young mage. She's writing up the accident report when we come in.

We also learn that yes, of course the evil sisters have a special name for the Keeper.

I know I'm harping on this pretty heavily but this is almost a straight loving rip of a WoT scene, right down to "Don't say Black Ajah, we're supposed to be rumor, shithead".

Also, two of the three sisters sent out to grab Richard are Dark-element, and the first dead one is evil. Their boss (the boss of the Sisters of the Light, not some secret satan-pope), the Prelate, has ordered that if he doesn't come with the third, he is to be killed, despite what they all tell Richard and the parents of kids and... apparently this is standard operating procedure.

How promotion works in the Sisterhood: you have to train a Gifted kid to full wizard status. There has not been a Gifted kid in ages. This means there's a 200+ year old woman still stuck as a "novice".

Sister Black proceeds to teach Pasha that apparently her body being sexy means the Creator wants her to gently caress anything that moves. No, this is not a joke. I think that's the most overused phrase in these writeups at this point.

"But that's ambiguous!" you say? Welllll we'll get there next time.

If they haven't have a new mage for someone to train in 200 years, than how did the sister just kill a young one?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

So maybe I missed this somewhere, but seeing as it's been only two weeks since they saved the world... Where the hell is Zedd?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

How can Warren be 157 years old if they haven't found a new wizard baby in 200 years?

MATH IS NOT THAT HARD TERRY! :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

All of the messages about Objectivism are so ham fisted and nonsensical I keep wanting to think that this is all really a d satirical send up, but then I remember that Objectivists are just that dumb.