Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
It's a slow, sci-fi film noir. If you don't like slow films or noirs, then you probably won't like it.

It's also a little emotionally shallow. So watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding if you want emotionally-engaging characters.

I like the look of film from the 80's. It's beautiful. And Blade Runner has some of the best special effects of any film ever. Those two things combined make it a really enjoyable film for me. But then, I'm a hedonist. I don't need plot. I just need to bathe in those sweet photons for a while.

Cf. also Dune. Serious eye candy from the 80's, and David Lynch to boot. Why would you even want that movie to make sense? That would ruin it! You can watch any number of movies that make sense. Most of them are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i am not kidding when i say i want to live in blade runner dystopia

everybody all shittin on dystopia all the time and i'm like "what's the big loving deal? looks awesome"

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

everybody all shittin on dystopia all the time and i'm like "what's the big loving deal? looks awesome"

Get your rear end to beijing then

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

yessssssssssssssss, that was a cool and good article full of neat photos of the future

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Spacedad posted:

James Cameron is also an artist for that matter.

Which is pretty sweet since his indepth understanding of how light works lets him plan out really cool shots.
Too bad he can't write a script worth poo poo.

Well, besides the billions of dollars they're worth.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

lol at these nerds getting mad about how contrived the brilliant twist ending of Blade Runner is. Ford and Hauer both thought the Deckard-as-replicant ending was stupid and made no sense within the context of the narrative. And it didn't, which is why all the hints we get about Deckard being a replicant were tacked on in post-production. Nothing in the dialogue or Deckard's character development or the plot of the movie supports him being a replicant, but oh man did you see how his eyes reflected light in that one scene and they can totally see his MLP dreams wow that's so deep and meaningful and not contrived in any way.

yeah you watch the movie the first time and you think it could be a possibility, but it would be cliche and lazy, and you figure the movie would be better than to do that and there are no hints of it... then it happens out of nowhere for no real reason and you feel betrayed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

i wanna watch it but nobody would go see it with me at the cinema because of tom cruise being in it

Just sell them on concept of going to see since it has a 101 amazing tom cruise deaths.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

etalian posted:

Just sell them on concept of going to see since it has a 101 amazing tom cruise deaths.

It was a good movie.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Chris Tucker's character was really cool in blade Runner, also it was rare for science fiction to feature African Americans in the 1960s

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

nomadologique posted:

Lolshit

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyway can we talk about how awesome the thing is.

Not the new one. That one sucked.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aquarium Gravel posted:

It was a good movie.

It also had the friendzone in addition to 101 Tom Cruise deaths

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Anyway can we talk about how awesome the thing is.

Not the new one. That one sucked.

Saw The Thing for the first time a few years ago, blows me away how good it holds up. Tempted to do a rewatch now. The prequel basically seemed like a remake imho

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Dr. Bit posted:

Cf. also Dune. Serious eye candy from the 80's, and David Lynch to boot. Why would you even want that movie to make sense? That would ruin it! You can watch any number of movies that make sense. Most of them are bad.

is this an actual opinion that people have?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the only good dune is a freaky psychedelic david lynch dune

all other dune is poo poo

well the video games were kinda cool

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

David Lynch Dune is unironically good but skip that special edition trash they put out recently it doesn't improve anything and the only possible cut that could be better than the theatrical is the one that david lynch never got

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
the miniseries was not great and had crappy visuals but it was at least a reasonable adaptation of the book and is actually watchable; the david lynch dune is hideous and nonsensical and basically every line in the movie is cringe-induceingly bad. the casting is basically awful in every way. do people actually put forth it 'not making sense' as a positive?

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

etalian posted:

It also had the friendzone in addition to 101 Tom Cruise deaths

The funny thing is that I think Tom Cruise is a really capable actor who's at his best when he's playing a sleazeball or jerk of some kind. No one wants to see Tom Cruise pretending to be honest and wholesome in Born on the Fourth of July or The Firm or Jerry McGuire, I want to see him spread that endless smarm around and generally be a charismatic rear end in a top hat type. Frank T. J. Mackie as a misogynist, fraudulent PUA in Magnolia, a thoughtless, amoral teenage black hole in Risky Business, a coward hiding behind a brilliant, crooked grin in Edge of Tomorrow - these are the Tom Cruise roles I appreciate. Given that he doesn't become less of a total sleazy dork throughout Edge of Tomorrow, just more competent, I'm fine with Emily Blunt ensuring that Tom Cruise's character dies often at her hands, just for loving up his mech-kata.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Karl Rove posted:

the miniseries was not great and had crappy visuals but it was at least a reasonable adaptation of the book and is actually watchable; the david lynch dune is hideous and nonsensical and basically every line in the movie is cringe-induceingly bad. the casting is basically awful in every way. do people actually put forth it 'not making sense' as a positive?

yeah because if it made sense it would be dune the book and there is no way that could be a postive

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aquarium Gravel posted:

The funny thing is that I think Tom Cruise is a really capable actor who's at his best when he's playing a sleazeball or jerk of some kind. No one wants to see Tom Cruise pretending to be honest and wholesome in Born on the Fourth of July or The Firm or Jerry McGuire, I want to see him spread that endless smarm around and generally be a charismatic rear end in a top hat type. Frank T. J. Mackie as a misogynist, fraudulent PUA in Magnolia, a thoughtless, amoral teenage black hole in Risky Business, a coward hiding behind a brilliant, crooked grin in Edge of Tomorrow - these are the Tom Cruise roles I appreciate. Given that he doesn't become less of a total sleazy dork throughout Edge of Tomorrow, just more competent, I'm fine with Emily Blunt ensuring that Tom Cruise's character dies often at her hands, just for loving up his mech-kata.

The black humor owned in the movie liked the road kill death or getting executed after getting horribly crippled in training.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
agreed OP, overrated. very detached and awkward storytelling on a human level so it's lacking something essential. def a bandwagon nerd film

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm gay

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ebert was right it had memorable effects and overall atmosphere with the downside being the lackluster core for things such as character development.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think people are too focused on harrison ford when they are looking for human elements in the movie. batty is the emotion core of the film really.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mr.capps posted:

i think people are too focused on harrison ford when they are looking for human elements in the movie. batty is the emotion core of the film really.

Probably because he's the only character who does anything interesting the film and has a sense of development.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah and that is ok, not every movie needs to be about a protagonist that changes, you can have another character fulfill that role

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

When I read the Dick book it made me disappointed that the movie did not really have that apocalyptic feel to it. And I hated the lack of animals in the movie. Real vs artificial animals were a big part of the book and they just ignored it all in the movie in favor of all the dumb love story crap.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blade Runner is a really pretty movie with a great cast, but it's still kind of meh to me.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kenzie posted:

When I read the Dick book it made me disappointed that the movie did not really have that apocalyptic feel to it. And I hated the lack of animals in the movie. Real vs artificial animals were a big part of the book and they just ignored it all in the movie in favor of all the dumb love story crap.

Wasn't there an artificial snake? And a Chinese-esq stall selling artificial animals outside? Or am I totally misremembering.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Way back in community college I had to write a philosophy paper on Blade Runner

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Helical Nightmares posted:

Wasn't there an artificial snake? And a Chinese-esq stall selling artificial animals outside? Or am I totally misremembering.

There was the scene where they mentioned the artificial owl in the Tyrell Corporation as well but the animals were always in the background and mostly ignored.

In the book I seem to remember they were a much bigger thing, with Deckard carrying around a catalog of animals with him all the time, and with him buying a goat and all that. Having a real animal was a big sign of social status.

Anyone remember the Blade Runner video game?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The narration owns, and it's for that reason the first cut was the best one :colbert:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The General posted:

The narration owns, and it's for that reason the first cut was the best one :colbert:

eh, i kinda agree. it was pretty horribly done and phoned in and no one 'wanted it', but i like that kind of narration and i thought it added a nice noir touch to some of the lonelyness esp during some of the slower parts

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 2, 2014

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

blade runner was a really good movie

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Androids_Dream_of_Electric_Sheep%3F#Plot

There look at the plot summary of the book. Like half of it is about animals. Deckard owned a sheep and later ended up blowing all his bounty money on a goat. Everyone lives in a horrible, hellish wasteland and they collect animals for social status and to give meaning to their lovely lives.

Oh and Rachel kills the goat by shoving it off a building.

Even the video game did a better job with the animals than the movie.

There's also that stupid lovely ending where Deckard and Rachel drive off into the sunset out into the nice pristine wilderness and live happily ever after and what the gently caress was up with that poo poo.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 2, 2014

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

yeah you watch the movie the first time and you think it could be a possibility, but it would be cliche and lazy, and you figure the movie would be better than to do that and there are no hints of it... then it happens out of nowhere for no real reason and you feel betrayed

it's not "for no real reason," it is blatantly consistent with pkd's dumbshit themes

it's still really dumb, because pkd's dumbshit themes were, well, consistently dumb

there's only maybe one or two books where he executes them successfully, but boy howdy did he write like sixty loving poo poo rear end terrible junk gag me with a spoon books saying the same two dumb things over and over and over again

his other good set of books are the ones where he is literally going insane while writing them, and while failing completely as novels (ie fictional constructions), they are wild out of the park successes as an indirect log of an extended schizophrenic breakdown

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

mr.capps posted:

lol wait a critical response stfu

could the film actually be trying to create a scenario in which the "heartless" android has more heart than the "human" detective???

answer at 11

but actually the poo poo characters really derive from pkd, who didn't write a single interesting character in his entire life except maybe palmer eldritch (oh and the folks in timothy archer, who were just ciphers for real life people and not really creative inventions)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

this is the poo poo i'm talking about

look how awesome that future looks

can't understand why everyone doesn't wanna live there

gently caress i gotta drink a coke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nomadologique posted: