Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Does anyone else have the issue with mlb.tv where the stream keeps restarting from the beginning? It happened 4 times in the last inning and it's getting really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Roflex posted:

Does anyone else have the issue with mlb.tv where the stream keeps restarting from the beginning? It happened 4 times in the last inning and it's getting really annoying.

I had that problem a few times this season. I never found a solution. Luckily it was only 2 or 3 games, but it is frustrating as hell when it happens.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

zakharov posted:

Man what did the Padres ever do? They're harmless.

They do tend to beat the Giants at home :v:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

I'm pretty sure watching the Rally loving Monkey develop as my team pissed away 2002 caused me to hate the Angels.

Couldn't be worse than the Rally Squirrel.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

theacox posted:

I had that problem a few times this season. I never found a solution. Luckily it was only 2 or 3 games, but it is frustrating as hell when it happens.

It's happened to me at least a dozen times per game since I signed up in late August.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
Edit - wrong thread.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

zakharov posted:

Man what did the Padres ever do? They're harmless.

I hate them so much

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They asked the Detroit bullpen to get two measly outs. Two.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
A lot of big news for Phillies fans. This is all rumors basically but seems solid:

The bad news:
-Amaro is staying

The good news:
-Dave Montgomery, the team president, didn't step down for health reasons in August, he was forced out.
-John Middleton, a billionaire minority owner, is in the process of becoming majority owner.
-Gillick will stay on as team president, it's not just an interim basis.
-Ryan Howard will almost definitely be gone this offseason.

source is Howard Eskin: http://www.nj.com/phillies/index.ss...per_report.html

This is good news because Dave Montgomery, though a nice guy, was responsible for a ton of the problems with the team. Namely he was way too loyal and also old fashioned. He also hired Amaro as GM.

This follows Marti Wolever being fired last week, who was the scouting director responsible for not drafting anyone good since Michael Bourn 10 years ago.

Things are looking up a little but I'd still like to see them ditch Amaro and hire a more analytics friendly guy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread

Popete fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 3, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Jokes about probability defying plays aside, watching the Giants in this thing isn't exactly tough, but it's sure different. I liked the last run because of the unexpected Lincecum bullpen excitement and Zito's runs bunted in. Now there's neither of those guys. Without them, I usually look to Cain, but he's out for the season.

The only returning postseason heroes are Bumgarner and Vogelsong, and I'm king of surprised Vogey has managed to hang on while so many are too injured or too lovely to be on a postseason roster in 2014. At least there's still Panda doing Panda things, until the Yankees make their offer.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Me, 7th inning: "You know, even if the Tigers lose, this has been a great game. I'm happy with it."

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwelp.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
N: Orioles win 12-3, Tigers bullpen shits the bed allowing 8 runs in the bottom of the 8th.

V: :smugbird:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

VJeff posted:

Me, 7th inning: "You know, even if the Tigers lose, this has been a great game. I'm happy with it."

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwelp.

Yeah I was thinking that myself after the Miggy dinger. If they lost by one run it'd mentally be a really good place to counter with a win in game two.

Now I don't think the Tigers can win a game without the starter going the full nine.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeah I was thinking that myself after the Miggy dinger. If they lost by one run it'd mentally be a really good place to counter with a win in game two.

Now I don't think the Tigers can win a game without the starter going the full nine.
Well don't worry you have Verlander going tomorrow and he averaged over 6 innings per start this year!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kawalimus posted:

Orioles/Tigers is going to be a massacre. I won't be surprised if the Orioles don't get a single run the entire series.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Orioles bitch

Also have baltimore.avi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1GvxahNAs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shouldn't this be baltimore.avi?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLa5Bfw2cnA

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

This is why you just tell Kawalimus to shut the gently caress up and move along. (or ignore him, I guess)

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bawfuls posted:

Well don't worry you have Verlander going tomorrow and he averaged over 6 innings per start this year!

Oh yes! Also what the gently caress 11am start time :(

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

does mlb radio work if you have mlb tv for the playoffs?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The Tigers bullpen is so bad that I want Dombrowski fired just for believing that was an acceptable part of his team.

That said, the bats weren't doing a goddamn thing tonight so Scherzer wasn't getting much help.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

does mlb radio work if you have mlb tv for the playoffs?
Yes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

That said, the bats weren't doing a goddamn thing tonight so Scherzer wasn't getting much help.
The Tigers hit 3 home runs tonight.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
Torii Hunter will end the series with 57 runners LOB.

The game summed up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

bawfuls posted:

The Tigers hit 3 home runs tonight.

The game was perpetually spent with 2 outs on the board.

Also: why do the tigers continue to pitch to nelson cruz?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'm certainly happy with how that turned out! Wow we even got to Scherzer a bit. That's a huge win for my birds. It means that at worst we'll have to win two games in a row in this series.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neodoomium posted:

The Tigers bullpen is so bad that I want Dombrowski fired just for believing that was an acceptable part of his team.

Dombrowski is a good GM but I don't understand his inability to field an even average bullpen. The Tigers bullpen has been lovely every year under his tenure and this year it's somehow magically worse than last year's spectacularly embarrassing bullpen.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Rand alPaul posted:

Dombrowski is a good GM but I don't understand his inability to field an even average bullpen. The Tigers bullpen has been lovely every year under his tenure and this year it's somehow magically worse than last year's spectacularly embarrassing bullpen.

Either he's the worst judge of talent ever when it comes to relievers, or he trusts the worst judges of talent ever when it comes to relievers.

This team has really been the opposite of enjoyable to watch all season because of the pen. I'd be thrilled if they won but deep in my heart I would know I had hated them all the way to the world series.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

If you were making a movie, and you wanted to establish the fact that the Tigers have a bad bullpen, you wouldn't put that inning in because it would be too unbelievable.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Dombrowski seems to like dudes who throw hard in the pen, which isn't bad but shouldn't be your only pen criteria. The Angels did this one year and had a bunch of guys who threw hard and were also bad. It's how you wind up with a Joba and a Phil Coke. Inconsistent dudes who when they are bad are tire fires.

Signing Joe Nathan made sense (he was really good in 2013) but was also really risky because of his age.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

We can all at least agree that the Orioles have the best logo in the playoffs right now right?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Alan Trammell posted:

If you were making a movie, and you wanted to establish the fact that the Tigers have a bad bullpen, you wouldn't put that inning in because it would be too unbelievable.

At least that inning would have been a montage and not 40 minutes of snuff film.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neodoomium posted:

Either he's the worst judge of talent ever when it comes to relievers, or he trusts the worst judges of talent ever when it comes to relievers.

This team has really been the opposite of enjoyable to watch all season because of the pen. I'd be thrilled if they won but deep in my heart I would know I had hated them all the way to the world series.

I like to think there's some bad apple in the Tigers scouting/talent department that convinces him to go after bad relievers. I blame this same mysterious villain for whispering lies into Dombrowski's ear about Robbie Ray being an elite prospect.

But if you judge who he targets for relievers he seems to really like velocity and "proven closers" and that's bad :(

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

But if you judge who he targets for relievers he seems to really like velocity and "proven closers" and that's bad :(

We had this issue with "AL East experience" for a while.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

We can all at least agree that the Orioles have the best logo in the playoffs right now right?

In all baseball, IMO. That chill-rear end bird is like a third of the reason I'm rooting for them in the playoffs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rand alPaul posted:

I like to think there's some bad apple in the Tigers scouting/talent department that convinces him to go after bad relievers. I blame this same mysterious villain for whispering lies into Dombrowski's ear about Robbie Ray being an elite prospect.

It'll dovetail nicely into Robbie Ray: elite set-up man. :laffo:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharknado slashfic posted:

Absolutely. Who can stay mad at that magical bird:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I swear it's no coincidence that we got good again when they brought back the cartoon bird and "Baltimore" on the road jerseys.

e: also go Royals, I'm on board...let's run this.

e2: I think I like it so much because it reminds me of 1) my childhood and 2) a minor league logo. When all the other teams are pulling "Let's stylize the first letters of our city!" the Oriole bird is like "Yes, yeah you do that."

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If the Tigers make total asses of themselves and get swept or otherwise lose, I'll be okay with it as long as the Buck Truck goes all the way to the end just because of that smug-rear end bird.

• Locked thread