Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for September, 2014?
This poll is closed.
Brock Lesnar (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 34 39.08%
:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 20 22.99%
:manning: Michael Elgin (FORMER ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:freep: Jay Briscoe (ROH World Champion) 2 2.30%
:anime: Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.15%
:colbert: Bad Luck Fale (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 1 1.15%
:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 22 25.29%
:slick: BxB Hulk (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 1.15%
Rob Conway (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 3 3.45%
:eng99: I Don't Like Any Of These Guys (None of the Above Champion) 3 3.45%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month, the WWE Champion interrupted the IWGP streak once again, as Brock Lesnar's dominating victory over John Cena proved popular enough to get him close to 70% of the vote. His closest competition (and winner of the poll for the previous three months) AJ Styles only managed 16% - an indication of just how popular Brock's unprecedented destruction of John Cena turned out to be.

Remember, to be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently Punchsport Pagoda accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion don't defends their belts, but where the Champions don't even make an appearance/make a promo about their title. They WILL be included in the end of year poll.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone:

Brock Lesnar (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Brock wasn't a constant presence on television during September, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since when he DOES show it is a big deal. In the meantime, Paul Heyman did an admirable job covering for Lesnar when he wasn't present, a proxy for Cena to continue the feud punctuated by Brock's return to accept Cena's challenge for a "fight". After that brief in-ring confrontation, security swarmed Cena while Brock stood rather calmly on the entrance rampCRAWLED AWAY IN FEAR, and it seemed like maybe Cena would have the momentum going in to Night of Champions. Certainly the PPV match wasn't the dominant display from Brock that Summerslam was, but Brock still beat seven shades of poo poo out of Cena AND kicked out/broke out of his finishers multiple times through the night. The match ended on a sour note when Seth Rollins hit Cena with his MITB briefcase following yet another AA to Lesnar, with the question being whether Brock would have kicked out of that one too. Considering that Brock then took a Curb Stomp and STILL was able to hit the F5 on Cena and walk out of the ring and up the ramp under his own power and looking like he could have kept on fighting.... I'd hardly say that Cena was all but guaranteed to have gotten the pinfall. But you might disagree, cast your vote appropriately!

:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - The IWGP Champ was only involved in two tag matches for NJPW through September, though he also had very good singles matches for ROH during the month. Why the lack of defenses for his belt? Because AJ is currently building up to a HUGE title match against Hiroshi Tanahashi. At the G1 Climax, Tanahashi defeated Styles unexpectedly which lead to the gang-attack of the Bullet Club and Jeff Jarrett trying to catch a ride on the heat train. Now Tanahashi gets a one-on-one shot against Styles who knows that Tanahashi CAN beat him - it should be a great match, but that is going to be in October, so what about September? Was AJ's presence alone and his involvement in his tag matches enough to get him your vote?

:manning: Michael Elgin (FORMER ROH World Champion) - What a rough month for Michael Elgin. After getting his hands on the belt at last and getting a handful of title defenses in, everything fell apart in September. Elgin apparently commented during an interview that he was taking part in training in hopes of becoming a baseball player, which isn't the best thing for a promotion when their CHAMPION is talking about a completely different sport being his dream goal. Apparently no longer particularly popular with ROH officials, and also facing problems with his work visa which meant he couldn't get out of Canada, Elgin rather unspectacularly lost his title to end a title reign that promised so much and failed to really deliver.

:freep: Jay Briscoe (ROH World Champion) - Jay Briscoe finally won back the title he never REALLY lost, going through a very roundabout fashion to get the belt back after his failures to get a title win against Adam Cole. Briscoe spent years being the guys who could never get the job done, and now he's had two surprise title wins in ROH. Hopefully he has learned the lessons from his own past and Elgin's recent troubles and won't jump onto twitter to call anybody a human being, and this is his chance to actually get a good title reign under his belt with a (eventually) satisfying ending.

:anime: Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Lashley continued to defend his belt for a promotion that hasn't sorted out it's long-term future yet, and that is recording shows far in advance which creates all kinds of confusion about what people are aware of, what they've seen, and what is technically speaking the official dates for major events and storyline revelations. As a result of that, all I can say re: Lashley is that those of you who follow TNA will know for yourself whether Lashley deserves your vote this month or not.

:colbert: Bad Luck Fale (FORMER IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - After a series of CHAOS vs Bullet Club multi-man matches, Fale defended his belt one-on-one in the main event of Destruction in Kobe. Bad Luck Fale as the main event champion headliner was an interesting experiment, but apparently a short-lived one, because he lost it to the man he won it from. Watch the match for yourself and decide whether Fale (or Nakamura!) deserve your vote for this match.

:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - So Nakamura got back the belt he lost, once again proving a bump in the road for the Bullet Club's attempts to dominate NJPW. As with Fale above, watch the match and decide if his return to Championship status was strong enough to garner your vote for the month. With all respect to Fale, Nakamura to me at least seems to better warrant the position as the Number 2 guy in NJPW, and a guy who can carry the promotion. But for this month we can only look at what he did and decide if his character, his talent, his in-ring work and the storylines all culminated to make you tick that box next to his name.

:slick: BxB Hulk (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - BxB had a LOT of matches this month, but no title defenses or single shots. Thauros was kind enough to provide a link to one but hopefully he will get back to single title defenses again soon. He had a rough start to his title reign, and a series of good quality defenses will help strengthen his position as champion.

Rob Conway (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - Two months and not a single title defense, and only one vote last month. Unless something changes soon, Rob Conway won't be on this poll again, because not only does nobody vote for him but he doesn't actually wrestle or defend his belt at all, so what's the point?

:eng99: I Don't Like Any Of These Guys (None of the Above Champion) - You can't always get what you want, and even with as wide a range of champions as we currently have maybe none of them are to your liking. If you don't like any of these champs, don't think any of them deserve a vote, or you just don't care but want to see the results, then this is the option for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

This is one of the worst months I can remember for current champs. AJ and BxB Hulk didn't defend, and Brock's defense ended in a gently caress finish right before it looked like Cena was going to win.

I voted Jay because I paid money to see him twice, once on PPV and once live. AJ was the biggest draw for me on both, but it's not like the IWGP title was in play.

Shinsuke would be a solid choice this month since the title main evented a NJPW ppv.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 1, 2014

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

yeaoh

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

horrible month, voted Rob Conway

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Voted Nakamura because everyone else was "meh" to me and he deserves to win one month at least.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

oatgan posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oatgan posted:

NWA 4 Life

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

AJ had two incredible-drat matches in ROH this month, and I don't really care that the title didn't come into play. Too-sweet me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looks like it is going to be close between Brock and Shinsuke and every vote will count, so vote if you haven't already!

bullfights on acid
Jul 21, 2012
Voted for Nakamura because I finally got around to seeing what this guy is all about and he is just fantastic :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A disappointing turnout for what was really a disappointing month. Brock Lesnar wins it, but only just, and this was probably the best chance you (yes, YOU!) ever had to get your guy into the top position if you'd just voted. But you didn't, and your guy lost, and it's YOUR fault. You are history's greatest monster.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So will Brock not be an option on the next three polls if he never has a match?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
what if my guy was Brock Lesnar, J-Ru

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Jerusalem posted:

A disappointing turnout for what was really a disappointing month. Brock Lesnar wins it, but only just, and this was probably the best chance you (yes, YOU!) ever had to get your guy into the top position if you'd just voted. But you didn't, and your guy lost, and it's YOUR fault. You are history's greatest monster.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I didn't vote but if I did it would have been for Brock because I really like the idea of making the champion look important and they're doing that. I think not having Brock be there every night or even defend it on every PPV is a good idea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

If I'm not misreading the rules, he still holds the belt for at least one day this month, so he'd be in?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Brock winning it is no more ridiculous than that month or two that Bryan did when out injured

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Valeyard posted:

Brock winning it is no more ridiculous than that month or two that Bryan did when out injured

When was this?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

When was this?

I'm pretty sure he means Bryan's two 2013 month wins, in which he had two reigns that combined for less than 24 hours.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blasmeister posted:

When was this?

Great White Hope posted:

I'm pretty sure he means Bryan's two 2013 month wins, in which he had two reigns that combined for less than 24 hours.

Yeah I was wrong. That is exactly what I meant!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

AJ Styles had two legitimate MOTYC matches in September. Yall should be ashamed of yourselves. You're not sweet at all!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

Bryan legitimately deserved it last August. His match with Cena was one of the best matches in the company that year, Okada had a bad month in the G1, and ROH didn't even have a champ.

September on the other hand...

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Thauros posted:

September on the other hand...

Feels like a protest vote since everyone was pissed off and just went "Voting Bryan anyway :colbert:"

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Feels like a protest vote since everyone was pissed off and just went "Voting Bryan anyway :colbert:"

and he was still having great matches on tv all that time even if he was champ only briefly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

Even if he doesn't have matches, he's going to be a constant presence every week on television either through promos or appearances or video packages, and every single week Paul Heyman will be there talking him up and driving people into a frenzy. By comparison, Rob Conway has seemingly made zero appearances, is not involved in any storylines at all, and has had no matches/defenses for at least two months now. It's really hard to justify his inclusion in the polls if he's literally doing nothing - at least with AJ or BxB when they're not having title defenses they're a presence in their promotions, involved in tag matches or furthering storylines/feuds. To make matters worse, Rob averages 2 votes a month and that's only because he got 5 votes in his first inclusion after beating Kojima.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Paul Heyman and Brock haven't been seen or promoted on Raw since the day after Night of Champions.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Even if he doesn't have matches, he's going to be a constant presence every week on television either through promos or appearances or video packages, and every single week Paul Heyman will be there talking him up and driving people into a frenzy.

this hasn't hasn't happened at all

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah I don't know what Raws you were watching, they're basically acting like the world title doesn't exist anymore.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
For all the talk of Lesnar "making the championship seem important" it sure isn't doing anything for me when they never talk about who even the champion is.

Like, I get it. Less is more. But there's 6 hours of programming and three mostly dull hours on Monday night. You can't do anything with Lesnar or Heyman?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I think they're deciding to not draw as much attention to Brock right now because they don't want to make his not being booked at Hell in a Cell more noticable than they can help, as well as it making sense to devote tv time to promoting the matches that are gonna be on PPV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
People wanted an INTERCONTINENTAL title and various other geek belts added but are arguing about whether the WWE Champion should be eligible.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

Paul Heyman and Brock haven't been seen or promoted on Raw since the day after Night of Champions.

Paul Heyman was on last week.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I voted for King Booker and I hope you all did too.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Paul Heyman was on last week.

Cool, I don't remember him doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

Cool, I don't remember him doing anything.

Talked up Lesnar, threatened the Authority, then threatened Rollins when he took the blame for everything.

• Locked thread