Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
New games early in development right now who are looking to future-proof for the pc market are currently seeing about 50% 1GB vram and 15% of 2GB. Devs aiming for anything over 2GB of video ram for the next 3 to 5 years is statistically a money sink, especially since going any higher than that means you probably won't be able to use that much video data on the new consoles. You could, but you need to share that total ~5GB with system ram too, and dedicating more than 2 for video leaves very little system ram to work with.

So anyway, over 2GB is icing for the next couple years. Keep this hot tip in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

so what card would you recommend to go forward and play these games on max settings

gently caress if I know. All I know is that you're probably ok for max settings for texture and mesh quality for several years if your card has 2 GB unless you're looking to futureproof yourself for over 3-5 years with your videocard. This doesn't take performance into account.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Ristolaz posted:

If you have SLI or crossfire that means your video cards are gay lovers.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Disregard everything I said about 2 GB of vram being enough for the next 3 to 5 years: go ahead and get more if you want. Evil Within is recommending 4 GB, which is absolutely stupid and insane and such a tiny amount of the market that'll be even able to use it for the next several years. They're throwing their money away, but I guess that means 4 GB wouldn't be totally wasted. I'm sure there's a couple of other games that'll also be crazy by then.

• Locked thread