Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Pretty much the only reason I'm leery of getting a new computer (high time to get a new one) is because all the stuff that on it, all over the HDD. While in actuality the only things I really need to save are camera pics and vids I would like a service that will make it easy for me to see what's important and where everything is, and to shove all that on the cloud where I can get at it easily without needing to transfer everything at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Crashplan.

SpiderOak might also work for you - it's somewhere in between Crashplan and a *really secure* Dropbox. It allows you to be particular about the files you back up littered around your drive, as does Crashplan, but it also has sync folders (including one automatically set up when you install) for that "drop it here and it syncs everywhere :effort:" experience.

Crashplan can be cheaper if you buy years in bulk or just ever back up a single computer at a time.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
also will throw in Carbonite (seems alright, friend is using it he hasn't had much issues?).

+1 for using dropbox if you just need to store little things (so text files, pdfs, and images).

(Personally I have spideroak running)

Also Backblaze (they have awesome information about their system and setup, like their recent HDD failure rate).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'll second Crashplan. They've got built-in options for backing up to local drives or machines, or a friend's offsite if you've got unusual needs too.

The last time I used Spideroak was a few years back, when everyone dropped Dropbox for turning passwords off that one time. The Windows client was utterly abysmal, and most of the allotted space ended up being taken up with duplicates and diffs that I couldn't get rid of. That was several years ago though, so things might be different.

I still won't recommend Dropbox. Not after finding out that they let some idiot open an account with one of my e-mail addresses a month ago.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Are there any decent alternatives to CrashPlan? I'm really pissed at their terrible software right now. My old external hard drive is on its way out (I was getting lots of read errors) so I did a full restore of it from their servers to my internal hard drive and then added that restored version to my set of backup folders while my external drive was unplugged. Apparently this was a huge mistake because it marked all the files that used to be on my external drive (800 GB worth) as deleted and isn't detecting the files I restored to my internal drive as duplicates of files I already had backed up. So I have to burn 3 weeks and 800 GB of bandwidth re-uploading all my poo poo that's already on their servers. :suicide:

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I use Crashplan, no issues so far. Had to restore the odd thing from cloud, all good. I like its ability to define multiple backup sets with rules and priorities.

Backblaze I haven't used, but its same price as Crashplan and has some decent write-ups. Doesn't look to have a Linux/NAS option though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is it possible to have a "backup relay" set up with Crashplan? Where my desktop machine backs up to another machine (server) on my home network, and that machine additionally relays the backup to their hosted storage? The idea being that I could finish backups of my desktop relatively quickly and shut it down during the night etc., but still have the data uploading after that.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

nielsm posted:

Is it possible to have a "backup relay" set up with Crashplan? Where my desktop machine backs up to another machine (server) on my home network, and that machine additionally relays the backup to their hosted storage? The idea being that I could finish backups of my desktop relatively quickly and shut it down during the night etc., but still have the data uploading after that.

You should use rsync/robocopy to move the files locally to the server and then just have CrashPlan monitor the spot on the server.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mr.Radar posted:

Are there any decent alternatives to CrashPlan? I'm really pissed at their terrible software right now. My old external hard drive is on its way out (I was getting lots of read errors) so I did a full restore of it from their servers to my internal hard drive and then added that restored version to my set of backup folders while my external drive was unplugged. Apparently this was a huge mistake because it marked all the files that used to be on my external drive (800 GB worth) as deleted and isn't detecting the files I restored to my internal drive as duplicates of files I already had backed up. So I have to burn 3 weeks and 800 GB of bandwidth re-uploading all my poo poo that's already on their servers. :suicide:

Would this help? http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Adopting_Another_Computer

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

nielsm posted:

I originally thought I was going to do this, but it turned out not to really be too much of a problem. If you're paying for their cloud storage, then the clients unlock a mode where they can operate way more often. Because only diffs are copied over, and because it queues up changes in the background and runs every few minutes, the actual time spent doing uploads isn't noticeable at all.

I did end up doing it anyway, one linux server to another, backing up the entire "backup" share on the master including the crashplan directory. It didn't complain, but I vaguely remember having to edit an ini setting...

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
Another recommendation for crashplan; I've had it for a few years now, just had to do my first restore of just under 1tb of stuff after a drive died. I'll agree that it took a bit of thought to avoid the scenario Mr Radar posted, but overall I've been very happy with it; it doesn't need babysitting, and worked when I needed it to! I had a similar poor experience with the spideroak software as Bieeardo; hopefully it's improved since then...

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I've used Spideroak recently and it's still a very secure but very poor butt storage experience.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone want to recommend a service for cloud backups in a small business?

We have local backups that we run every night but I'd like to back up all of our user files nightly to an online service.

200GB or so worth of stuff, 1 Windows file server, can I do this for under $1,000 a year? Carbonite doesn't look bad but I'm open to anyone. $899 for unlimited servers sharing 500GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We've been implementing Carbonite for our clients and I'm pretty happy with it.

• Locked thread