Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zorak posted:

Honestly most of the "this depiction is weird" can be mostly attributed to the fact that Tomino writes people in weird ways in general. Stuff like Ideon comes across as a borderline wake fever dream at times. He writes people in general in absolutely bizarre ways.

I hear what you're saying, but Aida is crying right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

For every Emma Sheen he wrote there was a Reccoa Londe and then a Four Murasame.

Also a Sarah Zabiarov. I mean, god drat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Obviously various Char clones over the decades and centuries have simply used up the stock of available colonies in ill-advised drop bombardments on the Earth, only to be foiled by various, nameless Gundam protagonists over the years.

Nameless? I'm sure they all had perfectly good man's names.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It is all kind of screwy because these guys are supposed to have an unfair, tyrannical stranglehold on global energy distribution. How the hell are they enforcing that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

John Carstairs posted:

You may have noticed they seem to be having some trouble with that lately. :v:

Yeah, but how did they even set it up? How did the other nations not just go 'lolno' when they tried it and roll right over them?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pretty clever visual reference there.

It's interesting that our hero is getting more and more closely tied to the 'Zeon' faction. Seriously, the Amerians' mechanical design is pretty standard for Gundam bad guys, with lots of bright colours and organic curves. The Megafauna in particular looks a whole lot like Neo Zeon's Gwadan-class battleships. Instead, the monsters of the week, the Capital Army, use Federation aesthetics - blocky designs in reds, whites, and pastels. Even their core factional concepts fit - an expansionist state with a major space presence rebelling against a corrupt Earth-based world government.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm guessing it's just Bellri's 'oh poo poo' realisation of what's obvious from the first two columns.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Said mustachioed mobile suit has two of them though, along with an innovative movement system that means it has no actuators or any other kind of internal skeleton, but instead basically makes a puppet of itself and moves by pulling on it's own strings so that the weight is cut down and the innards are much less cluttered and thus can equip more weapons and equipment. The series is packing some cool toys, but Turn-A still has the edge on it at the moment in terms of technology.

Well, yeah. That's because the show ends as soon as something gets to Turn A's tech-level (or, to be more precise, Turn X's, because that came first), the series either ends or turns into Fist of the North Star.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So our heroes' friendly neighbourhood Big Zam has shown up. Wish Bellri'd got a bit more time piloting that Zaku, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's clearly a Dom. The Grimoires are Zakus :colbert:. And yeah, I was expecting Raraiya to beat the poo poo out of Mask with the G-Self while Bellri ran support.

No, the Hecate is the Dom. The Jahannams are obvious Zakus. Come to think of it, though, the Grimoire is the only Amerian suit without an obvious counterpart. The Zaku I, maybe?

And yeah, it would have been fun to see Raraya making like every other brain-damaged mystery girl in Gundam and wiping the floor with the Mask Team while laughing madly. Sadly, it was not to be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Like, Mask's crews entire characterization so far consists of "we want recognition because our ancestors were hosed over and we're called names". That's it.

They're experiencing institutional discrimination that once led to their ancestors getting used as loving livestock. That's a pretty enormous deal. I mean, try telling a Jew that antisemitic slurs aren't a big deal because the Holocaust was a long time ago, or tell a black guy that it's OK for you to call him a friend of the family because slavery's illegal now. See if you manage to finish the sentence before he rearranges your face. Yes, the Kuntala cannibalism is implied to be a bit longer ago than those examples, but they were literally used as food. Even the Nazis saw eating Jews as going slightly too far. That poo poo is going to leave echoes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Notice how Klim referred to 'one Armorzagan'. Guess the Big Zam really did get mass-produced. And it looks like Zeon really are going to stay the good guys for a while yet, seeing as the Capital Tower apparently knows of and is collaborating with whatever shady poo poo's happening on the moon, and Mask's about to wreck the Zenams' chances of getting home and talking things out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, the Capital Tower's against whatever's going on up on the Moon, because they've been turning the Undernut into a military base to address the "threat from space". I don't think they know the threat is the same guys that give them the photon batteries though, because look at Bellri's mum reacting to that.

I was under the impression that that was to counter Ameria's growing space presence. They deduced this episode that His Holiness and the Capital Army's leadership have been hiding information about the moon and the Rose of Hermes blueprints (implied to be Moonrace suits) from the civilian bureaucracy. If you then factor in the suspiciously Gundam-like designs of the Capital Army's machines, there's good odds on them collaborating with the Moon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah it's pretty obvious her dad doesn't want her to be anywhere near the pirates at all, so the reason shes there is her own impulsive and headstrong nature. She wants to help, she wants to make things right, she wants to change the world.

I think Aida's a pretty cool character and I'm hoping she gets a lot of time in the spotlight eventually.

It'd be nice if she learns to kick rear end a little more too, though. I mean, she's a pilot of a Gundam. That carries certain expectations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

John Carstairs posted:

In that case...

Did you notice Aida landed on the beach with the same unwieldy-rear end anti-ship rifle she's been using the whole time but takes off with a standard beam rifle? Is it possible she heard certain complaints last week and simply stopped to talk to her dad for a few minutes while they were unpacking the weapons? :v:

Certain complaints:

That would certainly explain why Bellri actually bothered to shove her out of the way when she took aim at his mum's glider.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Overlord K posted:

This weeks episode was pretty good, aside from what the hell was Aida thinking when she was going to shoot down a completely harmless glider without even checking who was on board. That's some seriously dumb stuff there. Aida aside, everybody in this episode was great. Bell clearly gets his personality from his mom cause she seems to have just as much a spontaneous amount of fucks to give regarding any given situation.

I felt super bad for that mechanic who nailed his chin on the G-Self's cockpit though, eesh. That made me wince. :gonk:

Speaking of, how did Aida mess up that badly on her intercept course? We didn't see the Arcane get hit, did we?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Tomino also kicked Fukui Harutoshi (The writer of Gundam Unicorn) after he read the Turn A Novelization that he also did. It was a very hard kick.

Guy's apparently a bit of a hard-right nationalist, if we're talking about the one who wrote the original Unicorn novel. I doubt Tomino needed much of an excuse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Knife's got an odd design - it's clearly drawing inspiration from the Elf Bull series, but it has an Amerian cockpit.

The Jaiohn looks like it might be the Capital Tower's ultimate suit, unless there's a ball in the torso that I'm missing.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 20, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay that's not a Mobile Suit, that's a groin-mounted cockpit short of an Orbital Frame :colbert:.

All you needed to do was move an Elf Bullock's cockpit down a little and you'd have one of those already.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sue posted:

Don't worry, it will most likely never show up again.

You think? We didn't see much of its onboard armaments, just the shoulder-mounted i-fields. Doesn't seem like it's quite had enough of a showcase.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, I just realised - Grimoires are Acguys. Of course they're the best mobile suits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Can someone explain the ending to me? They were talking about the threat from space, then it looked like the same people who resupplied the megafauna came in and took Bellri and his friends away? I don't get it.

Looks like Cumpa got to them. "Hey, guys, you do know this lot are here to assassinate His Holiness, right?" It might even have been a pre-arranged trap, possibly with His Holiness's cooperation. They've certainly bagged some high-value targets.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Sure. It is South America, and if their comments are to be taken literally, they passed Angel Falls. They'd be in the area assuming they're flying south from the Caribbean area and that the Capital Tower is located somewhere on the Amazon River.

They explicitly said that they weren't near Angel Falls - there's a lot of waterfalls in the area that look like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This Araki's done some OK-ish work (even if it mostly amounts to accurately conveying source material and making it shinier without significantly enhancing its quality), but I always get disappointed when I see his name in an anime post and realise it's not talking about the other Araki. C'mon, Tomino, you've got the sparkles, the poses, and the rainbow palette. Why not go all the way?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

At this point I don't think Aida is going to recover from her space retard syndrome.

That's Raraya. Aida's Amerian. Her problems are courtesy of good ol' Planet Earth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

One of the best episodes yet, and it did not even have Klim Nick or Mick Jack, I want to see more of Araki's scripts now!

But they return next episode so I'm excited. :allears:

I know we're seeing the glorious debut of the Jahannam Space Type, but did you catch whether Mick's using the Hecate or the Armorzagan? C'mon, people, the Bigro Zam's cool, but you promised us a Dom wielding a Gatling gun with a beam chainaxe bayonet. Quit holding out on us.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Capital is the only country on Earth that's supposed to have those sorts of capabilities, anyway. They've just started using their powers for evil.

And holy hell, they were pushing the Japanese-remilitarisation-is-kinda-creepy angle this episode. A bunch of manchildren going off to war in samurai-themed giant robots to a chorus of 'banzai's? Yyyep.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I laughed out loud when that happened. Loved seeing them tying them on to their heads. Favorite moment though was probably Aida turning just before she's attacked by the Wuxia, and her rifle hopping off a tree. She really needs to get a smaller one. Also, Kerbes or whatever his name is seems to be hitting it off with Aida. With them noting that Bellri is adopted and possibly Aida's sister, that could develop in to a fun little relationship.

Bellri is possibly Aida's sister? That would be surprising.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Not really. They speculated last episode about rumors that Bellri was adopted and despite Bellri having twigged a connection to Aida in the first episode, we're now over a third of the way through the show with them having spent time together every episode and there's no real romantic tension there as of yet. With Kerbes taking an immediate shine to Aida, and Aida treating the guy more friendly than she does Bellri already, presumably because there isn't the specter of a dead friend looming between them I would actually be surprised at this point if they did turn in to a romantic thing.

I think you're missing quite what would be surprising about it.

First a black Gundam protagonist, now a transgender one? Go Tomino!

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 29, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Bellri and Aida share a unique biological marker and at least one of them has recently been stated to possibly be adopted - so if there's a reason they couldn't be siblings then yea, I'm missing it. Do feel free to point it out though since I'm not gonna see it otherwise I suppose.

Read my post again.

And the Recsnow HGs had drat well better have a bandana option, that's all I'm saying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

John Carstairs posted:

Those should be pretty easy to scratchbuild, dude.

Certainly, but why would they not be an in-box option? C'mon, Bandai, you have raised the possibility of dressing our plastic robot Barbies in adorable hats. Don't hold out on us now. :colbert:

The Hecate totally needs a stetson.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Don't have much to say about the new episode that hasn't already been said but drat, gotta reiterate how exciting the combat is. Tomino being hella OCD about those storyboards really goes a long way. The Wuxia pilot as far as I could tell was just some random grunt but the battle against it was still shot in an exciting way and so it worked. Pretty big difference between that and how GBF Try treats its mooks.

Nah, we've seen him before:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ryas posted:

Photon Armor. Apparently it's supposed to be more durable yet even lighter than Gundarium armor. Also, the manual for the HG G-Arcane apparently notes that Ameria was unable to replicate the photon armor technology from the G-series blueprints.

So what is the G-Arcane, then? An imperfect Amerian design based off the Rose of Hermes blueprints, as opposed to a genuine article like the G-Self?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TARDISman posted:

It's got that perfect combination of Rewloola and Imperial Star Destroyer. You're not alone. :hfive:

Plus a generous dose of Formula One racer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ryas posted:

I like the Wuxia, personally. I think it's supposed to parallel the shift from the GM to the Zeonicish designs adopted by the Titans mobile suits. I fully expect Becker to return with a not-Hambrabi later on. Or it could be wishful thinking, I love that thing.

Right, yeah, it seems to be the Capital's answer to the Jahannam. I wouldn't be surprised if it has Gondwanan design elements somewhere in it - the Garanden looks very much like the Megafauna, after all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looking forward to a probable Mask/Klim rematch in the next couple of episodes. It's not often you get to see a Char and a Quattro slug it out, and Klim needs to avenge his noble steed's inglorious demise. :argh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Big brotherish ace pilot with major political connections who flies totally awesome not-quite-a-Gundam-but-close suits but keeps getting his rear end whipped. Seriously, the Montero's record was actually pretty close to the Hyaku Shiki's.

Also, the closest thing he's got to a love interest has huge brain problems and may eventually turn evil.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, they are fresh, good-looking twists on the old themes. The designs deserve the success. In particular, I want basically every Amerian suit, but the Elf series and their descendants are sexy machines as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yosuke posted:

Having experience piloting and having experience on a battlefield are two completely different things. It's something I like being shown off.

It's a Gundam show where almost everyone is Patrick.

I mean, poo poo, even the personality fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much.

Every single character is an unexperience novice fighting battles they don't have a ton of strong motivation to engage in. The war is being pressed by people behind the scenes and the actual characters are fighting for their own motivations without much dislike or hatred of the enemy.

Not only are they inexperienced, but they've been fed a media message that treats the whole thing as a great big jolly game. I mean, the Capital's military has a literal cheerleading team, for His Holiness's sake.

• Locked thread