Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

The Ireland Run is currently on hiatus while I work on the Afghan Megathread

May you live in interesting times, a Crusader Kings Challenge Megathread

Ok, what is this?

To quote beefart:

beefart posted:

Really, this is all you need to know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y53_GV2aAg8

Crusader Kings 2 is one of several “grand strategy” games released by Swedish developer Paradox, the minds behind games such as Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron. As of July 2013, it covers the years 867-1453 AD, and you can choose to play as any ruler in Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East during those years (but sadly not 868-1065). This game is not just about conquering your neighbor, storming his castles, and covering the map with your colors like in a Total War game. You’ve got much more than just outside threats to worry about; you have to worry about stuff like your realm exploding because the laws of your kingdom prohibit you from disinheriting any of your male heirs, crooked councilors embezzling your gold when you least expect it, or the mild to moderate inbreeding that may result when you marry your tall, attractive cousin for her claims and to produce tall, attractive children.
So what's this here megathread all about, really?

It means that anyone who wishes to do an unique playthrough of CKII can sign up here. Just clear it with me first.

For example, I'm going to do a LP of St. Tamar of Georgia, Queen of Kings and Queens (this was actually her title) in the late 12th century. Tamar is considered one of the greatest rulers Georgia has ever had, but you've probably never heard of her. It is both one of the most difficult and the most fun playthroughs of CKII I've ever had. Tamar is surrounded by several enemies that could crush her like a bug and the Mongols are going to show up in 40 years. But Tamar starts out with great stats, and with a lot of audacity, good planning, and a healthy amount of luck, you can stay afloat in one of history's most turbulent times.

If you need ideas, click this link: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Interesting_characters_guide

However, there will be other categories, like the Ruler Designer Challenge. Basically, you use the Ruler Designer to create a unique character and attempt to survive. For example, you might create the Jewish king of Russia or maybe the Aztec Jain ruler of Ostlandet. Maybe you'll become the Basque Holy Roman Emperor and institute Absolute Co-Agnatic succession.

There will also be an achievement run category, wherein LPers will attempt to complete the Steam Achievements.

Here are some other suggestions:

1. Erik the Heathen, Jarl of Uppland, 1066.
2. Alfred the Great, Earl of Dorset, Old Gods.
3. Sultan Osman of Ottoman Sultanate, 1311.
4. Genghis Khan, Khan of Mongol Empire, Mongols start date.
5. Ivaljo the Cabbage, King of Bulgaria, 1279.

Aren't there a bunch of Paradox threads already?

Right, which is why this is a megathread. It's very easy to do a LP of a Paradox game, but with this I hope to present some very entertaining playthroughs without clogging up the subforum.

What rules are there?

First, before you post, please PM me. Tell me what category you'll be in and what character you'll be playing. Just ask in the thread for now.

Second, I will keep veto powers in case two goons want to play the same character. Don't whine if you aren't chosen.

Third, put your post on the screenshot test site if you can. You can find a link on the LP Sandcastle thread.

Fourth, mods are allowed but you must tell us which ones you are using.

Fifth, keep your pictures to about 1200 pixels things across horizontally.

So please, sign up and let the good times roll!

Interesting Characters

The Life and Times of the Late Bagrationi Dynasty - Mr.Morgenstern, 1185

Queen Tamar
Chapter One: The Lioness of Georgia
Chapter Two: Kicking People While They're Down
Chapter Three: The Prince of Thieves

King Gabrieli
Chapter Four: Days of Weariness and Ill

King Davit - King Aghsartan
Chapter Five: Breaking Free
Chapter Six: drat BETAZIDS!

State of the World: 1341

King Demetre
Chapter Seven: The Most Dangerous Man in the Middle East

Queen Natia
Chapter Eight: The Lioness of Alania

King Malkhazi
Chapter Nine: A Blip on the Historical Radar

Emperor Mukhran
Chapter Ten: The Third Brick in the Wall of Christendom

The Rise of GLORIOUS SRBJA! - Mr. Morgenstern, 1337

King Uros "the Strong"
Chapter One: Plottin' and Schemin'
Chapter Two: In Which We Murder a Whole Lot of People
Chapter Three: Wars
Chapter Four: Business as Usual
Chapter Five: That Didn't Last Long, Did It?

King Nenad
Chapter Six: Growing Up in the Middle Ages
Chapter Seven: Deus Vult!

King Ivan
Epilogue: The Scream and the End of the World

The Coming of the Ottomans - Mr. Morgenstern, 1337

Sultan Orhan
Chapter One: Manzikert's Ghost

Sultan Suleyman
Chapter Two: In the Shadow of Rome
Chapter Three: The March on Constantinople
Chapter Four: The Consolidation of Anatolia

Sultan Batuhan
Chapter Five: No Credit for a Late Mujahid (Except There Is)
Chapter Six: The Ottomans vs (a fair amount of) Europe
Chapter Seven: The Invasion of Bulgaria

Sultan Suleyman II
Chapter Eight: The Bulgarian Crusade
Chapter Nine: Sultan of Sultans
Chapter Ten: Old Age and Treachery

Padishah Batuhan
Chapter Eleven: A Good Hajj
Chapter Twelve: The Greek Crusade
Chapter Thirteen: Not Even the Devil Himself Could Stop Us Now
Chapter Fourteen: The Invasion of Hungary
Epilogue: The Sword Of Islam

Titanic Turovs - AdventFalls, 769

High Chieftess Dobrava
Chapter One: Massive Expansion
Chapter Two: The Doormat of Europe
Feudal-Chapter Three: The Invasion of Crimea
Republic-Chapter Three: The Merchant of Death and State of the World
Feudal - Chapter 4: This Doormat has a Trapdoor

High Chief Ruslan - Feudal
Feudal - Chapter 5: The Dark Times of Ruslan
State of the World: 826
Chapter Six: The Senior Apparent
Chapter Seven: Svetozar and Radoslav (Or, How to Fail at Modding By Not Knowing What You’re Doing)

Prince Mayor Svetozar - Republic
Republic - Chapter 4: The Age of Pagans
Republic - Chapter 5: Convergence

Prince Mayor Volodar
Republic - Chapter 6: The Times and Trials of Prince Mayor Volodar

Prince Mayor Gleb
Republic - Chapter 7: Twice as Bright

Alfred the Great - Knuc U Kinte, 876
Part 1: Alfred the Great (at murdering)

Ruler Designer Challenge

Cathar One-Shot - Mr. Morgenstern

Duke of Munster, 1081
The Most Hideous Man in the World

The Jewish Merchant Republic of Ireland - Mr. Morgenstern (and the thread)

Prince Mayor Eicnech
Prelude: State of the World, 867
Chapter One: Blood in the Highlands
Chapter Two: Raiders from the North
Chapter Three: Business Negotiations

Prince Mayor Duban
Chapter Four: Suffer Not the Heretic to Live
Chapter Five: March of the Irish
Chapter Six: The Destruction of the Dyfed Confederation
Chapter Seven: A Death in the Family

Prince Mayor Ruadacan
Chapter Eight: The Lord of Britannia
Chapter Nine: Blood in the Highlands, Part II

Grand Prince Niallgus
Chapter Ten: The Troubles

Grand Prince Fallaman
Chapter Eleven: The Frozen North

Grand Prince Bhatair
Chapter Twelve: Corpses On the Ice
State of the World: 965
Chapter Thirteen: Deliver Us, Lord, From the Fury of the Northmen
Chapter Fourteen: The Bloody Massacre of More
Chapter Fifteen: My Dog Faithful
Chapter Sixteen: Englishmen Speaking Irish

Grand Prince Lachtnene
Chapter Seventeen: Let's Do the Time Warp Again!

Grand Prince Dungal
Chapter Eighteen: Jim, I'm a Diplomat, not a Businessman!
Chapter Nineteen: In Which We Invade Deceitful Penguin's Homeland (I'm Pretty Sure He's From Around There, At Least)
Chapter Twenty: The Iberian Peninsula
Chapter Twenty One: Moors and Merchants

Grand Prince Fergus
Chapter Twenty Two: Emperor Scientist
Chapter Twenty Three: Barcelona
Chapter Twenty Four: Revelations
State of the World: 1066
Chapter Twenty Five: Pretty Borders

Achievement Run

MajikMissile - Khan of Khans (Possible)

Mod Showcase

After the End - Jalathas

Part 0: The World As It Stands

High Chief Onesiphorus
Part 1: Onesiphorus the Old

High Chief Barnabas
Part 2: The Madness of High Chief Barnabas
Part 3: Loyalty at Swordpoint

King Balthasar
Part 4: Peace and Prosperity?

Miscellaneous
How to Seduce the Pope

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

edit: I'm moving everything offsite to save on page memory while I work on converting everything to jpg.

Chapter 2: Kicking People While They're Down

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 17, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Nothing feels quite as good as beating down a much larger invader and taking all their money.

I hope someone does an LP of Alfred the Great, it's a pretty fun start.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Keeping a massive stockpile of money is the only way you can survive in this start. I can't tell you how wars I've won by hiring a ton of mercenaries after losing a major battle. And thanks for responding, I was about to give up on the thread.

Chapter 3: The Prince of Thieves

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 17, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
You seem to be kicking a lot of local rear end. How much have you grown?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This is fun so far, seems to be a little light on the details though. More details, show us more of what you're doing! :)

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

You seem to be kicking a lot of local rear end. How much have you grown?

A fair bit, but we're still little fish in a big pond. It's very important to note that I have been very lucky. If Rum had declared war on me, if the Ildeguzids had declared war on me, or the Alans beat me to the Hashimids, things would have turned out differently.

Chapter 4: Days of Weariness and Ill

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 17, 2014

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Pretty interesting stuff so far. Poor Gabrieli, falling like that at the end :(

Also maybe you should let the tutorial thread know that this is happening to get some more participants.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm pretty tempted to join in. My last 2 games were Erik the Heathen and Alfred the Great so I got a pretty firm handle on how to do them. Maybe I'll start a game and take a few screenshots before I commit.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm pretty tempted to join in. My last 2 games were Erik the Heathen and Alfred the Great so I got a pretty firm handle on how to do them. Maybe I'll start a game and take a few screenshots before I commit.

By all means, go ahead.

Chapter Five: Breaking Free

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 17, 2014

MajikMissile
Nov 13, 2012
Nice jobs with the wars. Surviving the horde is never easy. Speaking of...

I've never done an LP but it's always appealed to me and this is a neat thread that could use more love. I was thinking of going for the Khan of Khans achievement so if there is no one hankering for the Mongols I might give that a try. That said, I know that generic conquer the world, or at least most of it, aren't super interesting. No idea if KoK's monotony is mitigated by the time limit or the Crusades, Jihads, or Aztecs that would inevitably hit you right in your Mongol face. On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if Charlemagne will invalidate old saves?

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
I might be interested in showing off a Jewish 867 Khazaria "try to survive as a Jewish state and maybe even rebuild the Third Temple" run, but I want to wait for Charlemagne for both possible save compatibility and game update reasons (and hey, maybe tournaments will start working again, I haven't had a tournament finish correctly since RoI was released).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Did I miss something, or is there no Chapter 1?

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
The first post has a link to part one. It's off-site, I think.

e: Also, was Davit temporarily some sort of emperor-equivalent title then demoted upon victory?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Ghost Stromboli posted:

The first post has a link to part one. It's off-site, I think.

e: Also, was Davit temporarily some sort of emperor-equivalent title then demoted upon victory?

Yes he was. When you rebel, you gain a title equivalent to your opponent. Since I was rebelling against the emperor, I got a temporary emperor title.

e: No one else has asked to Khan of Khans, so you're fine. It might be good to wait for Charlemagne to come out first before going ahead. I've played Georgia all the way up to 1453, so I'll keep posting.

Chapter 6: drat BETAZIDS!

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 17, 2014

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Really enjoying this LP. Congratulations on surviving the hordes.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

State of the World: 1341

Note: This is taken 10 years after the next update starts. Be warned.

Alania is currently in a fierce war with the Golden Horde. The Horde has plenty of troops, but the Georgians have plenty of money.

The Golden Horde itself stretches from Rus to Khiva. While the Steppes are not as rich as the Levent or Europe, they still field thousands of warriors.

The kingdom of Rus is growing and its size stands as a bulwark to the horde.

Its king, Matfei, is quite the warrior and a devout Orthodox. He continues the line of Rurikid kings.

The fastest growing power in the Middle East, Persia is ruled by the Ertan Caliphate, the first Mongol caliphate to ever exist.

The Caliph, Khtula, is a coward but very ambitious. He is the great grandson of the first Ertan Caliph, a Mirza by the name of Tamachi and possesses a claim on his neighbor, the Xwedadadid Sultantate.

For those of you who do not know what a Mirza is, a Mirza is someone who is matrilineally descended from the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH).

One of the more recent powers to arise, the Xwedadadid Sultanate is a breakaway state of the Ilkhanate. An excellent general like his grandfather, Gobad is likely to expand into the ruins of the Ilkhanate.

India is mostly divided, save for the mighty Bengal Empire, led by the Hindu Ghatamdevids.

Teka II rules both Nubia and Abyssinia, but he cannot fight the Sarmins. The Sarmins are too many and the Abyssinians too few.

The Hashimids are a breakaway state of the Ayyubids and refused to swear loyalty to the Sarmins. Their Emir seeks to bring all of Arabia under his sway.

The Sarmins rule what is left of the Ayyubid Sultanate. Together with the Caliph they pose a significant threat to Christianity in the Middle East.

Through marriage Sicily has claimed Hungary and bits of Croatia. It's only a matter of time before they form an empire.

The Byzantine Empire still stands strong, a wall against Muslim incursions.

A young noble by the name of Zvand has taken control of the old Kingdom of Georgia. Once Alania is done with the horde, they'll come back for Georgia.

He's somehow content and ambitious at the same time. I guess he's content to be ambitious for now.

The Holy Roman Empire has taken control of much of Hispania, but most of that land is controlled by the King of Castile, and he grows weary of being ruled...

A revolt by the dukes of Ireland has put an Irishman on the throne of Ireland. However, the King of England has a claim, and Ireland will not be independent for long.

Next Time: The Wrath of the Caliphate (for real)

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Chapter Seven: The Most Dangerous Man in the Middle East

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 17, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Curious: why are all the Muslim kingdoms using their actual realm names (Persia, Arabia, etc), and not the dynasty names? Is that just because they're all Mongol? If so, goddamn, I don't think I've ever seen them make it as far as Tripoli. :stare:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Mega-Persia :stonk:

Shame about everyone being Mongol, I assume that's why you haven't taken those provinces from the Ilkhanate.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Curious: why are all the Muslim kingdoms using their actual realm names (Persia, Arabia, etc), and not the dynasty names? Is that just because they're all Mongol? If so, goddamn, I don't think I've ever seen them make it as far as Tripoli. :stare:

Only the Ilkhanate and Persia (but Persia more or less IS the Middle East) are Mongol. Arabia is ruled by a Sarmin (who aren't Mongols), but since Syria's already ruled by another Sarmin, it can't take the dynastic name. As for Tripoli, they're not Mongol, that's the dynasty's name.

Chapter Eight: The Lioness of Alania

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 17, 2014

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

You can only get the Gardener trait if you send the neighbor roses instead of nailing his hat to his head, which leads to the Impaler trait.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Technowolf posted:

You can only get the Gardener trait if you send the neighbor roses instead of nailing his hat to his head, which leads to the Impaler trait.

True, but Natia got the event before she took the throne, meaning I had no control over it. Oh well.

Chapter Nine: A Blip on the Historical Radar

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 17, 2014

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Hoo boy this needs a new page. Your update schedule is really great but maybe delay a little so that there might be more posts?

I'm enjoying this.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Hooray more CK2 things to read!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Hoo boy this needs a new page. Your update schedule is really great but maybe delay a little so that there might be more posts?

I'm enjoying this.

Thank you. I really enjoyed your Sims 3 LP.

I began to update a lot when I first started this thread because there weren't a lot of responses. I nearly gave up on the thread. So I updated to get some interest in the thread so that I could get the ball rolling. Once Charlemagne comes out tomorrow, I hope other people can start as well. I've got stuff to work on so no update today.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Thank you. I really enjoyed your Sims 3 LP.

I began to update a lot when I first started this thread because there weren't a lot of responses. I nearly gave up on the thread. So I updated to get some interest in the thread so that I could get the ball rolling. Once Charlemagne comes out tomorrow, I hope other people can start as well. I've got stuff to work on so no update today.

:)

CK2 threads rarely get a huge response but I can't get enough of them so you're doing something right. Don't quit!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Just caught up with this, looks like it's going great.

Also:

quote:

Shah Ghobad of Xwedadadid Shahdom
Say that five times fast.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
After Charlemagne I might go for a Norse or Hindu in the wrong place run, as those are baller as heck. Maybe not in tutorial island as that's too easy but there are a few cool places to do them in. (Though a long term Norse run without tanistry or reform is a thing indeed to behold)

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

megane posted:

Just caught up with this, looks like it's going great.

Also:

Shah Ghobad of Xwedadadid Shahdom

Say that five times fast.

I don't even know how to pronounce Xwedadadid.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I've been enjoying this LP so far, too. Most of the other CK2 LPs have moved on to EU4, which I don't care about, and the tutorial LP seems to have pretty much died.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Technowolf posted:

:eng101: You can actually get the Gardener trait even if you nail the envoy's hat to his head because a later event gives you the choice to atone for your sins and become a gardener.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yep, really enjoying this thread too. CK2 is my favorite Paradox game (the only one I know how to play), so it's always nice to see more lp's.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I don't even know how to pronounce Xwedadadid.

Probably a very soft x. Seems Zoroastrian.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Chapter Ten: The Third Brick in the Wall of Christendom

Well that's it for the Tartarians. Next, I'm going to start on the Ottomans and see if I can recreate their rise to power. Got a Crusade called on me, so I am switching to GLORIOUS SRBJA. Serbia went horribly wrong, so it's back to the Ottomans. Charlemagne comes out tomorrow, so get to playing and get to start working on your LPs!

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 17, 2014

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Any final map of what Tartaria looks like?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
That was pretty neat. Also, I learned that Charlemagne was coming out today from you, so thanks for that!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Alright guys, looks like Charlemagne does NOT break your savegames. So get to it!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I'm tempted to try a Jerusalem or Latin Empire run, but I love the HIP mod and I don't know if I can do without it :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm tempted to try a Jerusalem or Latin Empire run, but I love the HIP mod and I don't know if I can do without it :ohdear:

You can use mods, just tell that you're doing so. I'll make a note of it next to your playthrough.

• Locked thread