Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
I'm not sure if a constitution is going to happen, but I had the following idea:

IV. Rule of the People: All count and above level titles must be held by republican leaders (i.e. no Feudal/Religion vassals above baron/bishop).

For article II, I'd suggest making it 'within 50 years' or similar (i.e. having allowed time for armies to recover and nationalism to be removed) so that we don't just release states which have no ability to defend themselves. Given my rule IV this would also mean that we'd be introducing a load of competitor merchant republics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

There´s actually way too many mercs like that, which is pretty dumb and lovely to be honest. Just adds another meaningless hurdle to playing outside of the 'correct' place.
Could be worse though, you could be West-African Berber and have a grand total of 1 merc company going for you.

Were Mercenaries that much a thing in combat in this era?

I can understand Italian principalities having access to 12 competing mercenary companies as it was a major feature of inter-city state combat; maybe also the Byzantine empire, but for *most* areas there should be only 1 or 2 mercenary companies available (for everybody!).

I suppose it is needed for balance as there is nothing to stop an Italian prince taking a vast number of mercenary recruits to North Africa, etc. but it seems like a bad solution if you're just giving everywhere a huge number of companies on hand.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

AdventFalls posted:

Given that I'm an idiot and the game doesn't let women make Republics, does the thread not mind if I futz around ie console to MacGuyver this poo poo into working? I'll do something special for the thread regardless of what it says when I update next.

I think do whatever you think makes for the best plot. Republics are cool, but so would a pagan kingdom taking on Europe.

One thing to note though - I've had problems with the latest official patch when playing as a feudal monarchy and trying to build additional castles/towns/churches in tribal provinces. It always crashes-to-desktop. Not too much of a problem, but worth noting.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Torrannor posted:

You are not supposed to build additional holdings in tribal lands anyway. Empty holding slots give a tax and troop bonus to the tribe itself, and until you reform it's WAD that you can't build in them.

I wonder about that though - there are some some tribal provinces which already have churches/religious sites, and possibly some with towns (in Ireland maybe?), and having things exist which are unachievable by in-game means always annoys me! And crashing to desktop is obviously not WAD.

Plus as a former tester (albeit not a game tester), something so obvious/catastrophic which should have been picked up is testing annoys me :) And as a Feudal overlord I want to sponsor city settlement or church-building!

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Jalathas posted:

[Interesting Stuff]

That sounds really interesting - go for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

AdventFalls (in the offsite post) posted:

The console command ‘~’ is active, courtesy of the Man in the Red Shirt. The thread may choose to use it at any point. The Man in the Red Shirt has decreed the following rules for using the console:

I'm not sure if this will work, but could you make one of the patrician families Jewish?

That is to say I know that the console command exists, but I'm not sure whether they will meaningfully retain their Jewishness. Obviously the ruler of the republic would be strongly discouraged from proselytising in the capital, or assassinating members of the family so they have a reasonable chance of survival.

• Locked thread